Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Centre Half Needed? 09:54 - Feb 2 with 2250 viewsRabbram10

If we are seriously thinking off a top two spot which we should be then we badly need a CH & a LB who can defend?
Yesterday for lack of a proper word was criminal to lose two points, the defense especially Forsyth went missing in action for the second goal that gave Brum the hump to push on?
Clough has come back to hunt us with the selling of Shackell, never should have happened & look were he is now above us & looking strong?
We r were we r but we need to learn to close out matches much better than we did yesterday, I just feel we r short of a good CH & LB, that would make a big difference to the rest of our season!
Centre Half Needed? on 15:03 - Feb 2 with 2236 viewsramdanj

I believe McClaren was tracking Jonathan Parr at Palace who was out of favour but has been playing more of late. He would have been perfect as is proven Championship player and would bring the desperation Forsyth lacks. Craig shows a lot and then nothing in equal abundance - a frustrating player.

We should have taken Brayford back and played either him or Wisdom out of position - couldn't do much worse and at least they would not just stop and watch at crucial times!

Whitbread would be worth a shot - he looked pretty good in his couple of games earlier in season. If this keeps up he will get a shot sooner than later. Plus Wisdom prefers CB doesn't he? perhaps a shuffle is needed?

Allons-y!

Centre Half Needed? on 00:54 - Feb 3 with 2224 viewspkay_brum

I doubt that the Rams would revisit Brayford (who took the chance to maximise wages and join the Premier League) and we don't know that the player would want to return - perhaps only as cover to Wisdom?

Shackell is history as far as Derby are concerned, too; I'm not sure that he is better overall than Keogh, nor am I sure that either would prove to be a Premier League defender!

We haven't seen very much of Whitbread and he's not match-fit - he might be off the pace and more error prone than fit and integrated players like Buxton and Keogh if plonked back into the team and expected to take the role off either of those guys.

I think that Derby players generally (not necessarily the captain and Bucko) neglected their jobs and instructions at Brum later in the game. Hence, it was the whole team failed to close out the game and ease away with all three points.

Given the strength and leadership that the incumbent central defensive partnership usually shows I don't think it should be broken up.

Upfield players (and Forsyth!) have to be more disciplined and keep the ball better so as not to expose us to the sort of late flurry that Birmingham were allowed.

Whitbread is a good player and O'Brien will rejoin the ranks of the fit squad soon too, so we have defensive cover.

It doesn't matter how many players we have or might loan-in if we don't concentrate at top-level for 95 minutes and shut out the opposition when we've already beaten them.
Centre Half Needed? on 12:53 - Feb 3 with 2208 viewsowderrammy

The last two games have shewn we cannot defend properly. Time for a change say I, what about Whitbread and Thorne?
Centre Half Needed? on 14:19 - Feb 3 with 2202 viewsdavram

I think that Steve Mac & Co also have to give their own team a very clear meessage from the bench to close out the game in such a situation; I don't think that they did so on Saturday, and it's a lesson for them to learn too, despite their vast experience.

Grumbles about still needing "new players" should take the overall situation into consideration.

We are not yet quite at Man City's level, but they have implanted a very positive, attacking mentality in Derby's players, and it has served us well recently.

This is rather in contrast to the tactical restriction that many of the current players became habituated to under Nigel Clough.

OK, Hendrick replaced Hughes at 3-1, but the Blues scored soon afterwards after Bamford's sloppy pass and that exact science of hindsight would seem to indicate that Bailey or Thorne should have also been brought on then to replace either Bamford or Martin.

The team would then have had much more midfield nous to blunt the Blues' charge.

We also have an interesting parallel scenario now facing Steve McClaren - Bamford's careless loss of possession recalls the Tomasz Cywka affair that led to his banishment by Clough.

Four goals from the young Chelsea loanee so far is a great contribution, though, so I'll expect any rollockings to remain "in house" and we know that Patrick is a real sharp cookie...he'll learn!

That's what I think, anyway!

Centre Half Needed? on 15:58 - Feb 3 with 2196 viewsRabbram10

We still need a CH & LB?
Centre Half Needed? on 18:18 - Feb 3 with 2190 viewsdavram

Maybe so - for cover/competition, I agree Rabb - and the loan market opens again soon - but I think that we have just slightly stepped over the "if you score two, we'll score three" mentality that costs vital points.

Attack whenever the opportunity arises, defend when necessary - but at all times try to keep the ball and ensure that you keep the team shape!
Centre Half Needed? on 11:44 - Feb 4 with 2168 viewsjiggyjag

Monday is a huge test against QPR lets see how we cope and if we have learnt anything from the last couple of games.

If the club have any ambition this season I'm sure they would bring in players to enable promotion to stay on track
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024