Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chris Martin versus John O'Hare. 14:09 - Feb 25 with 5610 viewsowderrammy

John O'Hare became a legend as one of Cloughy's glory boys during the 1970's and I see similarities between him and Chris Martin. Both have similar physiques although John had a barrel chest, but their heading ability is equal and their strength and bravery in holding the ball against big tough centre halves ready for team mates on the charge is comparable. Chris is probably a yard faster but John could distribute the ball a little more accurately. I have to say that Nigel Clough has bought a few rubbishy players in his time but Chris has proved to be an absolute gem. In my opinion Chris's all round ability (free kicks for instance) probably makes him the equal of one of our top legends. What say you?
Chris Martin versus John O'Hare. on 04:52 - Feb 26 with 5593 viewsramdanj

As I have only seen O'Hare in classic highlights it's hard to say but I would still lean towards him. I really like Martin but I think he would be a far better player if he stopped playing for free kicks all the time and whining to the ref. O'Hare had more mongrel about him and I like that in a front man - plus Brian would have flogged him if he fell about like Martin does.

With his strength Martin may do a bit more by keeping his feet and holding onto the ball rather than lose it when the ref calls his bluff.

That said he is proving to be a star for the Rams and any player who can get 20+ goals in any team (which he should by seasons end) is worth their weight! :) He is a very good player and definitely a bargain buy by our former manager!

Allons-y!

Chris Martin versus John O'Hare. on 11:13 - Feb 26 with 5587 viewspkay_brum

Martin 'the equal' of John O'Hare??!!

Chris is having his best season and is central to Derby's tactics - but perhaps a simple glance at goals, honours and caps would put this debate to bed?

No contest; O'Hare remains light years ahead (and I watched his entire career at Derby).

For another thing, 'Solly' was a bit more 'honest' as a player of his time - before the modern global thespian coaching trend taught forwards to tumble like a wardrobe at the first sign of physical contact!

O'Hare's strength was rather the opposite - to kill the ball, fend off the defenders, keep possession and stay upright at all costs, and link up with Hector and the others in those trophy-winning Clough sides.

If Chris is drinking promotion champagne from a trophy in 3 months time, he'll be on the O'Hare trail, but nowhere near his pedestal.

Checking out O'Hare's appearances and honours shows that John more than shades it

At present, Martin has a good goals-game ratio, though.

Might have been a bit more relevant to compare Martin to Roger Davies....

It's enjoyable watching Martin in the modern-day front-man's role and let's hope there are champagne stains on his shirt at the end of the season!

[Post edited 26 Feb 2014 11:15]
Chris Martin versus John O'Hare. on 13:51 - Feb 26 with 5572 viewsowderrammy

Thanks guys for your comments and I have just 3 points to make, first regarding international honours, if Martin had been Scottish he would have a cap or caps by now because of their abysmal lack of talent, secondly, in John's days cheating was not even an issue because no one played that way, and finally as with you guys I think O'Hare shaded Chris, but only just.
Chris Martin versus John O'Hare. on 14:59 - Feb 28 with 5555 viewsRabbram10

O,Hare, Hector & Hinton, Magic Trio that was!
Chris Martin versus John O'Hare. on 02:52 - Mar 20 with 5444 views1960Ram

Anyone who watched the Reading match on Player had a rare treat: instead of the Radio Derby commentary, we had Radio Berkshire. So we listened to the Reading commentators with all of their biases. About mid-way through the second half, the commentator and expert summarizer were talking favourably about Chris Martin's target man ability and holdup play when the commentator remarked that Martin "is as good a player as I've seen in the Championship this season."

He didn't mention John O'Hare, though.
Chris Martin versus John O'Hare. on 04:45 - Oct 23 with 4603 views1960Ram

Time to resurrect an old thread, I think.

The more I see of Chris Martin, especially lately, the more he reminds me of John O'Hare. O'Hare had the better ball control, but Martin is much the better goal scorer.

And the Scottish caps, too...
Chris Martin versus John O'Hare. on 11:39 - Nov 22 with 4397 viewsowderrammy

I never saw John score a goal with as fierce a volley or shot as Chris's goal against Wolves. That proved to me that our current centre forward has the strongest shot, 1960.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024