Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match thread: Bristol Rovers home 18:49 - Oct 2 with 19840 views442Dale

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match thread: Bristol Rovers home on 23:01 - Oct 2 with 2523 views442Dale

Match thread: Bristol Rovers home on 22:57 - Oct 2 by sweetcorn

The sending off actually made us better i thought in the second half and thats because we went more direct, moving the ball forward and looking to create chances, whereas with 11 in the first half we reminded me of van gaals uniteds team, lots of possession and keeping the ball in midfield and defence with very little intent to get us forward, its not particulary entertaining to watch and it certainly isnā€™t yielding the points.

Sam hart is a great attacking outlet down that left hand side and iā€™m more than impressed after seeing him tonight.

How cannon isnā€™t starting games for us really is baffling to me, he should he in this side most games.

The mystery of zach clough continues, if ever there was a time to bring him on it was when Gillam retired off hurt, instead he went with williams (who i didnā€™t think was too bad tbh, but of course people will want to lynch him, as thats the in thing to do at the minute) Think weā€™re better off sending him back if we arenā€™t going to bother playing the lad.

Agree entirely with that last statement. We have more than enough players of our own who play in the area he does, if he doesnā€™t play why have him here?

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match thread: Bristol Rovers home on 23:06 - Oct 2 with 2491 viewsSuddenLad

Match thread: Bristol Rovers home on 22:56 - Oct 2 by rochdaleriddler

I thought we were poor, they had some really good chances thanks to our poor defending. Rathbone and Perkins frequently gave the ball away. Things improved when calamity Jim went off, but the team didnā€™t seem up for it, and the piss poor crowd was very quiet. I was feeling bored, although I did stay to the end for the second time this season

Do you just cut and paste your comments from match to match, changing a couple of names at the same time ??

Ć¢ā‚¬Å“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooledĆ¢ā‚¬Ā

Match thread: Bristol Rovers home on 23:09 - Oct 2 with 2464 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Match thread: Bristol Rovers home on 22:33 - Oct 2 by dawlishdale

How come you are always so quick to snap at YD's posts?

Yeah,get out of my orbit....Snapper!
Match thread: Bristol Rovers home on 23:12 - Oct 2 with 2431 viewskel

Match thread: Bristol Rovers home on 23:06 - Oct 2 by SuddenLad

Do you just cut and paste your comments from match to match, changing a couple of names at the same time ??

Says the bloke who goes out of his way to find something to be offended by. You just copy and paste your mock outrage at any current affair and change the names etc to keep your dull mind ticking over.
Match thread: Bristol Rovers home on 23:14 - Oct 2 with 2414 viewsrochdale_ranger

From match to match we are poor with just a bizarrely different squad of names lined up. So effectively thatā€™s all he has to do.
Match thread: Bristol Rovers home on 23:20 - Oct 2 with 2376 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Match thread: Bristol Rovers home on 22:53 - Oct 2 by 100notout

Its not being monitored - its just so obvious but I'm sure YD will accept your apologies.

As for Hill coming out with the poor decision making comments - he often does (its never his fault or he's never picked the wrong team).

Exactly!....... tonight guys,he's blaming the ref for HIS poor decision to send off Norman.......
Match thread: Bristol Rovers home on 23:22 - Oct 2 with 2361 viewssweetcorn

Match thread: Bristol Rovers home on 23:20 - Oct 2 by Yorkshire_Dale

Exactly!....... tonight guys,he's blaming the ref for HIS poor decision to send off Norman.......

The ref did send norman off though, tbf

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

Match thread: Bristol Rovers home on 23:44 - Oct 2 with 2264 viewsdingdangblue

Match thread: Bristol Rovers home on 23:14 - Oct 2 by rochdale_ranger

From match to match we are poor with just a bizarrely different squad of names lined up. So effectively thatā€™s all he has to do.

But we weren't poor tonight. The players did themselves proud - special mention to Hart (superb), Hendo (excellent), MJ Williams (his best game for me) - And we moved up 2 places to 15th !!!

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Login to get fewer ads

Match thread: Bristol Rovers home on 23:47 - Oct 2 with 2241 viewsrochdale_ranger

Match thread: Bristol Rovers home on 23:44 - Oct 2 by dingdangblue

But we weren't poor tonight. The players did themselves proud - special mention to Hart (superb), Hendo (excellent), MJ Williams (his best game for me) - And we moved up 2 places to 15th !!!

Iā€™ll say one thing for you dingdang. You sure are positive.
Match thread: Bristol Rovers home on 23:48 - Oct 2 with 2236 viewsD_Alien

Match thread: Bristol Rovers home on 23:47 - Oct 2 by rochdale_ranger

Iā€™ll say one thing for you dingdang. You sure are positive.

And on this occasion, right

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match thread: Bristol Rovers home on 23:50 - Oct 2 with 2223 viewsrochdale_ranger

Match thread: Bristol Rovers home on 23:48 - Oct 2 by D_Alien

And on this occasion, right

Just this occasion?
Match thread: Bristol Rovers home on 00:20 - Oct 3 with 2147 viewsDaley_Lama

Brilliant 2nd half effort, well done on each and every player involved.

Brizzle were better first half than second, Dale vice versa.

Both keepers made absolutely fantastic individual saves. Canā€™t comment on the sending off, too far away to give a fair judgement.

2 points extra Brizzle should have got, their lack of ambition was puzzling (slow walk off when subbed)

Fair result overall and more credit to our lot than their lot.

Poll: DF in or out

Match thread: Bristol Rovers home on 00:26 - Oct 3 with 2138 viewsSandyman

Norman and McNulty shouldn't have started in the first place. Jim is a liability and Josh has done precious little wrong. From where I was stood, McNulty fluffed yet another defensive situation (one of several in the first half), and Norman came over to rescue it and fecked it up. Red card IMHO.
These increasingly bizarre and ever-changing team and tactical selections Hill is making are becoming (sorry for this) Eyre-esque in their desperation. We have some great players here, who are good in their positions. 30% increase in the players budget has made that happen. Why aren't they played regularly where they should be, with a decent tactical plan instead of the "square peg in a round hole and hope it works out" daftness Hill is coming out with? I don't get it at all. We've beaten better teams with worse players under KH's charge because we were organised, determined and knew what was required - executing good game plans well. Is it managerial laziness, disinterest, CBA cos of a long contract or what that has taken the best of RAFC away? It needs addressing.
Where has the "No Fear" team mentality gone? The better players put a shift in, but we seem to have lost the team on the pitch ethic that served us so well. That's down to the manager. Seems like Accy's "best ever manager" can still cut the mustard with his lesser-budget team. Our "best ever manager" can't and seems to have lost the plot far too often over this season and last.
It would be so wrong to go back to the "bad old days" in L2 from where we are now. RAFC and its fans do not deserve to lose that. We've done things the right way. KH has more than played his part - past tense. Is he up to it now, present tense?
I wonder. Seems like Jose Mourhino and Baldy Mourinho have the same problems.....
Match thread: Bristol Rovers home on 00:42 - Oct 3 with 2119 viewsrochdale_ranger

Match thread: Bristol Rovers home on 00:26 - Oct 3 by Sandyman

Norman and McNulty shouldn't have started in the first place. Jim is a liability and Josh has done precious little wrong. From where I was stood, McNulty fluffed yet another defensive situation (one of several in the first half), and Norman came over to rescue it and fecked it up. Red card IMHO.
These increasingly bizarre and ever-changing team and tactical selections Hill is making are becoming (sorry for this) Eyre-esque in their desperation. We have some great players here, who are good in their positions. 30% increase in the players budget has made that happen. Why aren't they played regularly where they should be, with a decent tactical plan instead of the "square peg in a round hole and hope it works out" daftness Hill is coming out with? I don't get it at all. We've beaten better teams with worse players under KH's charge because we were organised, determined and knew what was required - executing good game plans well. Is it managerial laziness, disinterest, CBA cos of a long contract or what that has taken the best of RAFC away? It needs addressing.
Where has the "No Fear" team mentality gone? The better players put a shift in, but we seem to have lost the team on the pitch ethic that served us so well. That's down to the manager. Seems like Accy's "best ever manager" can still cut the mustard with his lesser-budget team. Our "best ever manager" can't and seems to have lost the plot far too often over this season and last.
It would be so wrong to go back to the "bad old days" in L2 from where we are now. RAFC and its fans do not deserve to lose that. We've done things the right way. KH has more than played his part - past tense. Is he up to it now, present tense?
I wonder. Seems like Jose Mourhino and Baldy Mourinho have the same problems.....

Who do you suggest we get in? Keithā€™s our best manager? Blah blah blah. Both good points actually but they wonā€™t or donā€™t discredit from the good points you have made. I was saying the same last season. Do I want Hill to go? Probably not. Do I want the old style of play? Yes. I would rather we stand up and show character and bottle then this stale brand of shite and go back to doing it the Keith Hill and the Rochdale way which we were accustomed to under Hill until only recently.
Match thread: Bristol Rovers home on 01:13 - Oct 3 with 2084 viewsSandyman

Match thread: Bristol Rovers home on 00:42 - Oct 3 by rochdale_ranger

Who do you suggest we get in? Keithā€™s our best manager? Blah blah blah. Both good points actually but they wonā€™t or donā€™t discredit from the good points you have made. I was saying the same last season. Do I want Hill to go? Probably not. Do I want the old style of play? Yes. I would rather we stand up and show character and bottle then this stale brand of shite and go back to doing it the Keith Hill and the Rochdale way which we were accustomed to under Hill until only recently.

Can't disagree - I want the Keith Hill of the past, not the Keith Hill of now as you correctly articulate .
An alternative? Back in December 2006 we took on a caretaker manager, ex-player, out of nowhere, and who was never mentioned by anybody as a future RAFC manager. He did a great job for the Dale and got the gig.
There's probably lots of hungry, ambitious potential managers out there now. Same as the lad referred to above was. Would rather he got back on track than get someone else in but if he can't do it or can't be bothered, the club's fortunes come first before any individual.
[Post edited 3 Oct 2018 1:15]
Match thread: Bristol Rovers home on 05:55 - Oct 3 with 1968 viewsfitzochris

Match thread: Bristol Rovers home on 22:17 - Oct 2 by TVOS1907

There's no such thing as "last man". That's a phrase invented by the media.

Itā€™s more convenient a phrase than that he denied a clear goal-scoring opportunity, which I believe Norman didnā€™t.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Match thread: Bristol Rovers home on 05:57 - Oct 3 with 1966 viewsfitzochris

Match thread: Bristol Rovers home on 22:33 - Oct 2 by 100notout

Played well? Really?

Were you at the game?

I watched the game, yes. Given we had 10 men for all of the second half, we played well, yes.
[Post edited 3 Oct 2018 6:00]

Match thread: Bristol Rovers home on 07:12 - Oct 3 with 1882 viewsSwissdale

Very good team performance in the second half, and a well earned point in the end. Both Lillis and Normal played well, with the latter very unlucky IMO to be sent off. As others have said, Hendo and Hart were good. It seemed we tried to play much more on the ground and down the wings without Andrew and Alby on the pitch, which for 45 minutes allowed us to create numerous chances. Dare I say it? A bit like the Dale of old?

Having said all that, we were very lucky to be in at half time 0-0. Perkins had another poor game and looks to be another one in the Matt Done mould (a former great whoā€™s a shadow of their former self, but will be picking up a sizeable wage). McNulty was poor; Iā€™m not sure Delaney is any better but at least he offer and aerial threat at the other end of the pitch. Iā€™m as baffled as anyone why Cannon and Clough are being kept out of the team.

Anyway, all being fit and proper Iā€™d start the next game as follows...

Lillis

Raff McGahey Delaney Hart
Camps MJW
Clough
Cannon Hendo Inman
Match thread: Bristol Rovers home on 07:20 - Oct 3 with 1858 viewsTVOS1907

Match thread: Bristol Rovers home on 05:55 - Oct 3 by fitzochris

Itā€™s more convenient a phrase than that he denied a clear goal-scoring opportunity, which I believe Norman didnā€™t.

Convenient, maybe, but it leads to gross misunderstandings.

Anyway, I doubt the red card was for that, more likely the ferocity and outcome of the challenge.

Letā€™s see what happens in terms of appeals, length of suspension, etc.
[Post edited 3 Oct 2018 7:23]

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Match thread: Bristol Rovers home on 07:48 - Oct 3 with 1804 viewsfitzochris

Match thread: Bristol Rovers home on 07:20 - Oct 3 by TVOS1907

Convenient, maybe, but it leads to gross misunderstandings.

Anyway, I doubt the red card was for that, more likely the ferocity and outcome of the challenge.

Letā€™s see what happens in terms of appeals, length of suspension, etc.
[Post edited 3 Oct 2018 7:23]

I get that it does. I believe the correct consideration is the ā€œlocation of other playersā€.

The last man thing has clearly stemmed from a contraction of ā€œX fouled X and was the last man before the goal, thus denying X a clear and obvious goal-scoring opportunity.ā€

Same as ā€œX clearly handled the ball on the line, thus denying X a clear and obvious goal-scoring opportunity.ā€

We usually just write ā€œsent off for deliberate handballā€ rather than reference the denying of a clear goal-scoring opportunity.

Itā€™s contextual laziness, I guess, but I do see how it becomes a neologism with overuse.

And yes, completely agree, it definitely looks like ferocity of Normanā€™s challenge is the reason he was sent off.

Match thread: Bristol Rovers home on 08:00 - Oct 3 with 1764 viewsDaleiLama

Match thread: Bristol Rovers home on 00:20 - Oct 3 by Daley_Lama

Brilliant 2nd half effort, well done on each and every player involved.

Brizzle were better first half than second, Dale vice versa.

Both keepers made absolutely fantastic individual saves. Canā€™t comment on the sending off, too far away to give a fair judgement.

2 points extra Brizzle should have got, their lack of ambition was puzzling (slow walk off when subbed)

Fair result overall and more credit to our lot than their lot.

Weird that - their number 9 plodded off like someone just finished a marathon but another subbed player sprinted off.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Match thread: Bristol Rovers home on 08:01 - Oct 3 with 1758 viewsEllDale

Some personal thoughts now that the dust has settled:
It was strange to see that in a game which saw 35 shots on target no-one managed to score.
At least we got into shooting positions which hasn't always been the case in the last 18 months at home.
Like most other people on here I much prefer the old gung-ho approach rather than the cautious build-up but that's how the modern game is these days.
Does 3-5-2 encourage this possession style football rather than 4-4-2?
I think that Rafferty is struggling to deliver the ball from those wide positions. If Randall were fit I suspect that he would be playing.
I'd love to see Cannon, Rathbone and Perkins together in midfield, there would be plenty of energy and effort there.
And we need to see more of Clough instead of Gillam, the latter is one for the future.
Match thread: Bristol Rovers home on 08:15 - Oct 3 with 1720 viewsDaleiLama

All in all not a bad 0-0 for me. Got away with a few at the back but had some really good chances to get three points. I thought we edged it over 90 minutes but a point is a point and it wasn't through lack of effort we didn't win. Some good individual performances as alluded to already but we are not yet a team and the ever-changing line-ups must contribute to this. Without the target man we reverted back to playing it on the ground and look more like the old Dale doing so. Interesting to see how that performance affects team selection and tactics for Saturday now. The boost we would get from a win is much needed by all.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Match thread: Bristol Rovers home on 09:28 - Oct 3 with 1571 viewsrochdaleriddler

No but I could, because the same errors crop up at every game. Iā€™ve not said I was bored at any game previously this season, and if you think Perkins and rathbone didnā€™t give the ball away frequently I guess we watched different games. Anyway just have a go at me if it makes you feel better

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Match thread: Bristol Rovers home on 10:34 - Oct 3 with 1490 viewstony_roch975

Match thread: Bristol Rovers home on 07:12 - Oct 3 by Swissdale

Very good team performance in the second half, and a well earned point in the end. Both Lillis and Normal played well, with the latter very unlucky IMO to be sent off. As others have said, Hendo and Hart were good. It seemed we tried to play much more on the ground and down the wings without Andrew and Alby on the pitch, which for 45 minutes allowed us to create numerous chances. Dare I say it? A bit like the Dale of old?

Having said all that, we were very lucky to be in at half time 0-0. Perkins had another poor game and looks to be another one in the Matt Done mould (a former great whoā€™s a shadow of their former self, but will be picking up a sizeable wage). McNulty was poor; Iā€™m not sure Delaney is any better but at least he offer and aerial threat at the other end of the pitch. Iā€™m as baffled as anyone why Cannon and Clough are being kept out of the team.

Anyway, all being fit and proper Iā€™d start the next game as follows...

Lillis

Raff McGahey Delaney Hart
Camps MJW
Clough
Cannon Hendo Inman

agree we played more on the ground and (in the 2nd half) running at the opposition with pace, more reminiscent of previous Dale teams (tho 2 big men worked against Gills); also agree about Perkins (& Jim's ok in middle of back 3 but struggles in a back 4) and Cannon should start but surely Rathbone's performance also deserves a place (and Jordan Williams is now looking more consistently effective)

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024