Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bolton legend Lofthouse honoured 11:59 - Aug 25 with 2215 viewsdavram

Bolton Wanderers unveiled their statue of Nat Lofthouse yesterday, before their home game against QPR.

Lofthouse is a Bolton legend - the archetypal strong, brave & fearless centre forward - whose stature in the sport equates to that of our own Steve Bloomer.

Derby connections? It was Nat who finally eclipsed Bloomer’s England all-time goalscoring record in 1956, forty-nine years after Steve scored his last international goal.

In October 1996, Lofthouse also joined goalscoring greats Arthur Rowley, Johnny Morris, Wilf Mannion and Sir Tom Finney to pay homage to Bloomer at the unveiling of his original memorial in Derby’s Lock-Up Yard.

I also remember him adding his voice to the lobby for young Derby star Roy McFarland to be picked for the full England team, around 1968-69, as the Rams powered to the Second Division (now “Championship”) title.

Statue story here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-23819063
Bolton legend Lofthouse honoured on 10:49 - Aug 29 with 2177 viewsowderrammy

Yes Dav I well remember this colossus. The guy had it all, strength, pace, powerful shots, powerful heading, and best of all goal radar, that wonderful knack of knowing where the goalposts where in any situation.

Picture this:- A grey wet day in the early 1950's when the rain pelted down sufficient to abandon a game today. The BBG was an absolute mud heap and the ball was beginning to toboggan across the grass, making control near impossible. This was a game Derby controlled throughout but the Bolton centre forward had other ideas. That day he ploughed a lone furrow and miraculously scored a hat trick with no assists from his own team. The final result was 4-4 and we all went home feeling cheated but knowing we had been in the presence of footballing greatness.

The Lion of Vienna was an apt title and in today's markets I would rate him at 50 million.
Bolton legend Lofthouse honoured on 19:36 - Aug 29 with 2174 viewsdavram

That's a great memory, me owd!

I'll always have the image of Archie charging through the famous BBG mud in our glory years, white shirt and knees plastered in the gooey soil that sapped the strength of lesser men - just think how fit that tough & skilful Scot (& the resy of 'em) must've been!
Bolton legend Lofthouse honoured on 04:32 - Sep 4 with 2130 views1960Ram

During the Radio Derby commentary on the Burnley game, the commentator - I can't think of his name - was trying to think of the centre-forward who scored in an FA Cup final by charging the goalkeeper (who was holding the ball) into the net. The name he came up with was Bob Latchford.

The three-letter first name and "L" last name were correct, but the bloke he was trying to remember did not play for Birmingham alongside Trevor Francis in the 1970's.

Of course, Craig Ramage had no idea about the incident he was trying to describe.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024