Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Unbeaten Under McClaren 23:00 - Oct 1 with 1348 views1960Ram

... or whoever was in charge.
Unbeaten Under McClaren on 00:12 - Oct 2 with 1339 viewsdavram

Yes - and Mac's first (thankfully positive) statistic. Quite a remarkable game.

Derby's defending in the first half-hour or so was so abject that I drew a parallel between the respective departures of Clough Senior & Junior - both turbulent occasions that are separated by a mere 41 years.

But Nigel's team had seemingly gone one better this time; Brian & Peter's team had threatened to strike after the dynamic duo walked out - but Nigel & co's players actually did seem to withdraw their labour upon the kick-off.

Radio Derby's commentators were even moved to speculate upon the possibility!

In all my years of watching Derby - since BC (before Clough snr) - I've seen very few performances that have matched the ineptitude and ineffectiveness of the shambolic shower in white shirts as they stumbled through the first half. Shell shock or protest from Clough's sacking?

The second half transformation was remarkable and thrilling. The Ipswich fans watched in mute wonder, the home fans whipped up a storm of noise.

Other fans will no doubt have been thinking the same as I was - that the Rams might well have defended just as badly if Nigel & Co had still been in charge, and also perhaps doubted whether Mr. Clough would have been able to rouse the team and make the personnel/tactical changes that Steve Mac initiated.

The pep talk & substitutions brought about a complete change in the game in the second half; some pride (& even a point) was rescued.

If that's what Steve Mac can do unofficially in 10 minutes, maybe he can stir up & re-organise the players for a winning performance on Saturday. Maybe even some of the missing fans will return to see what will happen!

Bonus point - It's really good that Mason Bennett has been "under the radar" so far this season; he was a terrific threat in the second half - pace & power that the Ipswich thugs couldn't handle.

Although ref. Kettle already has noted form with his yellow cards, he cautioned 6 Ipswich players and they got away with a few other bad ones as the pressure mounted.

Just a fan's early observations & thoughts on a game that we'll talk about awhile yet!

Unbeaten Under McClaren on 07:43 - Oct 2 with 1318 viewsRabbram10

McClaren has already shown even without being officially in charge yet that as far as Tactical Awareness & Knowhow is concerned he's light years ahead of Clough?
Clough would never have inspired that 2nd half performance & he would never had put on young Bennett, well done Mr McClaren!
It's a new era lets get on with it & see what it brings, can't believe I'm sounding Optimistic again, must be the weather lol
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024