Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My Very First Derby Match. 12:12 - Oct 14 with 1167 viewsowderrammy

The excellent article Bills Take set me thinking. What could I remember about the very first time I watched Derby County? Was their something special that kept the occasion in my memory.....no. Did we win.....yes 2-1, although I must confess I saw none of the goals because they were all scored before the last 15 minutes when stewards opened the Pop End gates to let the crowd out and gave myself the opportunity to sneak in. The year was 1944 and we were entertaining Plymouth Argyle in the wartime cup. I cannot be absolutely certain but I think Raich Carter was in our team. On my way out I picked up a discarded programme that was nothing less than a single sheet of paper printed in black and white on BOTH sides. Wartime economy ruled in those days but what would that programme be worth today.

Not a particularly historic day for most people but from that day onwards I was hooked, Derby County were my football club God bless 'em.

As added info to younger people interested in the clubs history I add this paragraph:-
As always during that period the Osmaston End and it's terraces were closed to spectators. The reason was two direct hits from German bombs. Because the stand was clad with sheets of corrugated blue asbestos (shudders from elf and safety) the bombs penetrated the roof without exploding. One bomb blew up on impact with the floor at the Cambridge Street end and the other knocked a neat 5 to 6 feet hole through the central stairway were the ladies toilets were situated. The next morning the scene was chaos as shards of asbestos were scattered far and wide around Colombo Street and Shaftesbury Crescent. To the best of my knowledge I don't think the Normanton Stand opened until about 1947. Someone feel free to correct me If I am wrong.

My Very First Derby Match. on 02:45 - Oct 16 with 1142 views1960Ram

Thanks for the memories. It makes my first match in 1960 seem like yesterday.

Bill
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024