Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
David Coleman R. I. P. 10:48 - Dec 23 with 1709 viewspkay_brum

Just to acknowledge the passing of broadcasting legend David Coleman:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/25476668

He was a vibrant and influential commentator, who 'set the template' for sports broadcasting and football commentary for the next generations.

He broke out of the formal, plummy BBC rules and style of reporting - he made watching Match of the Day, Olympics and World Cups in his era so vivid and exciting.

Just to declare "one-nil!" was all it took for him to cap a classic or crucial goal; today's commentators would do well to pare back there fast, verbose style, where it's thought that every millisecond should be crammed with a fact or comment.

RIP Mr Coleman.
David Coleman R. I. P. on 18:31 - Dec 23 with 1699 viewsdavram

Many Rams supporters will have still-vivid memories of how Coleman excitedly covered MOTD, including Derby County's games, in the Golden Clough-Mackay years.

I think the first time I remember seeing the Rams on Match of the Day was in the 1968-69 promotion season. We came home early from a family wedding to watch the recording of Blackpool2, Derby3...naturally, broadcast in black & white!

I always remember DC's intro that night..."...and we start with Derby's match at Blackpool" and then the excitement in his voice when McFarland and O'Hare each scored, before Gladys Hinton netted the winner from the penalty spot.

In our Derby workplace, we'd often take turns to loudly mimic the simple DC declarations we heard often in those days, such as "Hector - 1-0!!" or "George - that's his hat trick!" There were many great moments during his football coverage, some lost forever, some (including Clough interviews) are preserved.

Watch the Rams "Match of the 70s" DVD for some classic coverage with Coleman, and compare today's verbose, overpaid creeps to the legend.

His knowledge and direct experience of athletics surely inspired many (including myself) to actually take up an active interest - the "I can do that" thought that the 2012 Olympics has lately helped to rekindle.

His coverage of the Coe/Ovett rivalry in the 80s still endures in my memory and I sometimes reach for those internal memories to this day, even as endeavour to lap the local park in my fitness regime at a slightly slower pace!

Like Cloughie himself, David Coleman was unique, a man who changed his profession - perhaps defined it - by his application ofthe sheer talent and character within.

Thanks for the memories, Mr. Coleman.
[Post edited 23 Dec 2013 18:33]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024