Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Arthur Wharton - UK's first black professional footballer - to be honoured. 12:55 - Mar 10 with 2005 viewsdavram

Arthur Wharton - former Preston North End goalkeeper and the world’s first black professional footballer - is to be officially recognised at St. George's Park (the National Football Centre, near Burton).

So, after the recent passing of Sir Tom Finney, Preston North End wil now be celebrating the life of another of their club legends who earned worldwide recognition.

Story here:

http://www.pnefc.net/news/article/arthur-wharton-statue-to-be-unveiled100314-140
[Post edited 10 Mar 2014 14:00]
Arthur Wharton - UK's first black professional footballer - to be honoured. on 13:54 - Mar 10 with 1994 viewsowderrammy

The first black footballer I ever saw was a Jamaican, Lindy Delapehna, who played for Middlesboro in 1950. He was a left winger who was tricky, lightening fast and scored goals, 2 of which I remember when he knocked us out of the FA cup in 1952. I thought then if this is a sign of things to come English football can only be improved by these guys.
Arthur Wharton - UK's first black professional footballer - to be honoured. on 19:59 - Mar 10 with 1979 viewsKeef

Wasn't Delaphena at boro when Brian Clough was there? The name rings a bell.
Arthur Wharton - UK's first black professional footballer - to be honoured. on 20:46 - Mar 10 with 1974 viewsdavram

Though he was a bit before my time, and an unfamiliar name to me, my interest in Delapenha was aroused - thanks, me Owd!

He was a regular goalscorer for Boro in Div.1 in the early 50s, and the first Jamaican player to play in the top English league.

Maybe he did play alongside BC at some point, but seems to have dropped out of the picture as Clough built up his remarkable goalscoring record prior to his career-wrecking injury.

Mind you, BC then rattled up his amazing goals tally in Div II, and Delapenha left Boro before the start of the 58/59 season, in which Clough scored 43 goals.

Lindy was a fascinating & distinguished sportsman & broadcaster; more career info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lindy_Delapenha

[Post edited 10 Mar 2014 20:47]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024