Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Huw Jenkins to Reflect on Garry Monk's time in charge 07:37 - Apr 29 with 16300 viewsHuw57

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Swansea-City-reflect-Garry-Monk-s-time-c

Fingers crossed for Garry.

Poll: Do you want the Irish to get through?

Huw Jenkins to Reflect on Garry Monk's time in charge on 09:48 - Apr 29 with 1861 viewsRogueTrooper

Huw Jenkins to Reflect on Garry Monk's time in charge on 09:41 - Apr 29 by WarwickHunt

This almost mythical experienced figure to help Monk...who do you think would come in to play second fiddle to a rookie?

Serious question.

Someone who just wants an easy payday, with no responsibility. Bad idea IMHO

"If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training, you will be a weapon. You will be a minister of death praying for war. But until that day you are pukes. You are the lowest form of life on Earth. You are not even human furcking beings! You are nothing but unorganized, grabastic pieces of amphibian sh1t! Because I am hard, you will not like me. But the more you hate me the more you will learn."

Huw Jenkins to Reflect on Garry Monk's time in charge on 09:52 - Apr 29 with 1858 viewsJackSomething

Huw Jenkins to Reflect on Garry Monk's time in charge on 09:41 - Apr 29 by WarwickHunt

This almost mythical experienced figure to help Monk...who do you think would come in to play second fiddle to a rookie?

Serious question.

A very good question. I'm resigned to the fact Monk is going to be handed the job, so I'm looking at the next best scenario.

Perhaps we would go down the route of a Director of Football-type role, but knowing the conservatism of the club, I doubt it.

If we are looking at an experienced head sitting alongside Monk, I'm don't know enough to be able to offer names, but there must be some Assistant Managers out there who would be suitable. Or an out of work manager who would welcome a foothold back in the game. Anyone who comes in would have the knowledge they'd be front-runners for the manager job if Monk left.

My gut feeling is it will be Monk and the current backroom team for next season. Perhaps he'll prove he doesn't need an experienced head and do us all proud. Will need some better scouting from the club when it comes to signings though.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Huw Jenkins to Reflect on Garry Monk's time in charge on 10:07 - Apr 29 with 1821 viewsCooperman

The only nagging doubt I have about Monk, and this is fading fast, is his ability to attract a higher calibre player to the club.

If it comes down to a keep -v- not keep decision from me then its 'keep'.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Huw Jenkins to Reflect on Garry Monk's time in charge on 10:12 - Apr 29 with 1808 viewsSwansea93

The pull of the Premier league alone should attract the players, after all a Brendan Rodgers persuaded Luis Suarez to stay with Liverpool, and Rodgers aint exactly a huge name in football was he.

Poll: Can Montero do it on a rainy Saturday afternoon?

Huw Jenkins to Reflect on Garry Monk's time in charge on 10:15 - Apr 29 with 1804 viewsCooperman

Huw Jenkins to Reflect on Garry Monk's time in charge on 10:12 - Apr 29 by Swansea93

The pull of the Premier league alone should attract the players, after all a Brendan Rodgers persuaded Luis Suarez to stay with Liverpool, and Rodgers aint exactly a huge name in football was he.

Aye, his opening gambit to Suarez was along the lines of "Everyone thinks you are scum of the earth and wouldnt touch you with a barge pole. Stay here and let me help change that perception".

Which he has to a fair degree. This comes down to the man management skills of Brenda.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Huw Jenkins to Reflect on Garry Monk's time in charge on 10:17 - Apr 29 with 1802 viewsWarwickHunt

Huw Jenkins to Reflect on Garry Monk's time in charge on 10:12 - Apr 29 by Swansea93

But Liverpool were...
Huw Jenkins to Reflect on Garry Monk's time in charge on 10:20 - Apr 29 with 1789 viewsJackSomething

Huw Jenkins to Reflect on Garry Monk's time in charge on 10:17 - Apr 29 by WarwickHunt

But Liverpool were...

It didn't hurt that Arsenal were the team chasing him, not exactly a huge step up from Liverpool.

It'll be different this summer if the likes of Real Madrid, Barcelona or PSG come calling.

Huw Jenkins to Reflect on Garry Monk's time in charge on 10:30 - Apr 29 with 1762 viewsjruss1

I don’t agree with this view if we appoint Garry we should get somebody experienced in to help him.

We either think GM can do the job and trust him to appoint and choose his own staff, or we don’t, simple as that.

“Yes Garry, we will give you the job but we’re a little bit nervous about it so we are bringing in Mr X to help you”

Not an option.
Login to get fewer ads

Huw Jenkins to Reflect on Garry Monk's time in charge on 10:34 - Apr 29 with 1753 viewsSpratty

Liverpool however was

Sorry had not got to WH reply - just an obvious answer
[Post edited 29 Apr 2014 10:36]
Huw Jenkins to Reflect on Garry Monk's time in charge on 10:35 - Apr 29 with 1749 viewsWarwickHunt

Huw Jenkins to Reflect on Garry Monk's time in charge on 10:34 - Apr 29 by Spratty

Liverpool however was

Sorry had not got to WH reply - just an obvious answer
[Post edited 29 Apr 2014 10:36]

Is there an echo in here?
Huw Jenkins to Reflect on Garry Monk's time in charge on 10:37 - Apr 29 with 1744 viewsSpratty

Huw Jenkins to Reflect on Garry Monk's time in charge on 10:35 - Apr 29 by WarwickHunt

Is there an echo in here?

Read edit
Huw Jenkins to Reflect on Garry Monk's time in charge on 10:41 - Apr 29 with 1718 viewsJackSomething

Huw Jenkins to Reflect on Garry Monk's time in charge on 10:30 - Apr 29 by jruss1

I don’t agree with this view if we appoint Garry we should get somebody experienced in to help him.

We either think GM can do the job and trust him to appoint and choose his own staff, or we don’t, simple as that.

“Yes Garry, we will give you the job but we’re a little bit nervous about it so we are bringing in Mr X to help you”

Not an option.

I see your point, but they could at least beef up the scouting side of things to help him.

Laudrup brought Larsen and Bayram with them to handle that side of things for him and we can't complain too much about the signings.

I can't imagine Monk has anyone like them on board and I wouldn't think it's fair to leave him with just Leadbetter. Can't see Monk having an issue with support like that, especially as the final decision would presumably be his.

Huw Jenkins to Reflect on Garry Monk's time in charge on 10:43 - Apr 29 with 1708 viewsSwansea93

Yeah Liverpool might be huge, but they still had a fairly unknown manager at the club

Huw Jenkins to Reflect on Garry Monk's time in charge on 10:53 - Apr 29 with 1690 viewsSpratty

Huw Jenkins to Reflect on Garry Monk's time in charge on 10:43 - Apr 29 by Swansea93

Yeah Liverpool might be huge, but they still had a fairly unknown manager at the club

1 out of 2 aint bad
Huw Jenkins to Reflect on Garry Monk's time in charge on 10:53 - Apr 29 with 1689 viewsSpratty

Huw Jenkins to Reflect on Garry Monk's time in charge on 10:30 - Apr 29 by jruss1

Not an option.

I agree - it would likely end in even more dissent

That is my concern re putting Garry in when we did - we immediately limited our future options to develop Garry as a manager over a reasonable time to see if he was a real keeper.

Drive and determination are admirable qualities but found in many who earn a minuscule fraction of the reward of a PL manager. It is the skill, vision and tactical astuteness that sets a PL manager apart from the mundane.
Huw Jenkins to Reflect on Garry Monk's time in charge on 11:02 - Apr 29 with 1644 viewsexiledinenglandjack

My 2 pence would be to look at bringing a DoF in, can't fault Gary's coaching of the team but i echo the view of his inexperience in the transfer market could hinder us. Frank Arneson who has been previously linked with the role would be the ideal candidate, proven successful in the prem with Chelsea and also at Hamburg i believe where they would have a similar budget to us. Also, experienced in the role of recruitment and recruitment only.
Huw Jenkins to Reflect on Garry Monk's time in charge on 11:15 - Apr 29 with 1606 viewsjruss1

I agree the recruitment side of things may need some fresh input. It is never bad to keep employing experienced scouts, even if things are going very well. But as for the team that work directly for GM and around the first team, he must be allowed to choose his own. If we feel we need to help him with the job with a more experienced man either as DOF or his number two, then we should not give him the job IMO
Huw Jenkins to Reflect on Garry Monk's time in charge on 11:19 - Apr 29 with 1593 viewsicecoldjack

Huw Jenkins to Reflect on Garry Monk's time in charge on 09:09 - Apr 29 by plasmarljack

The way I see it is we have two options.

1. Look for a new manager and start another cycle of 2 years stability, followed by the risk of loosing him if he is successful. Then having to start again Etc, etc.

2. Appoint Gary who, although new to the job, is someone who is used to being a leader of both club and team, having been the club/team captain for many years. I also believe his experience of being captain while under Roberto and Brendan is something we cannot discount.

My personal view is we need stabillity to progress. I don't share the view that you need
A big name to have big signings. The pull of the premier league should not be underestimated. Two of the most successful teams in the league had long term managers who's first few years were not immediately successful ( fergerson and venger) but they were given time to build.

I think Gary monk has an oppertunity that he knows may only come once in his lifetime and think he has both the will and drive to make a good effort. Don't forget , he has been our leader for many years and he is capable of more as a manager.

Do you really think Monk would not leave if he was successful ?

The only reason he stayed at the club so long as a player is because nobody else wanted him,same with Tate . Brits was gone when the offer was acceptable and Ash will be waving goodbye if another team offered him more cash,rightly so too .

To say Monk will be more loyal than the next man if successful is dreaming, they are all the same in that respect, the Irony here is that Laudrup was probably the only one who walked it like he talked it and had History of being loyal to a contract.

The other points you make are IMO very good ones , if Monk wins all his remaining games then in fairness to the guy nobody would be grudge him the job.

My personal view is that it would be a massive gamble just the same .
Huw Jenkins to Reflect on Garry Monk's time in charge on 11:21 - Apr 29 with 1580 viewsC_jack

Don't think GM has even scratched the surface of 'manager' yet. Everything is set up for him at the moment, the players, style and philosophy. The real management comes when, inevitably, external factors threaten to change those criteria, and how you either adapt or maintain.

That experience is something that 10 premier league games cannot account for.

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

Huw Jenkins to Reflect on Garry Monk's time in charge on 11:32 - Apr 29 with 1557 viewsGasanova

Huw Jenkins to Reflect on Garry Monk's time in charge on 07:43 - Apr 29 by Huw57

It will be interesting to see who the new arrivals would be.

Huw will look to downsize after our exit of the Europa league, that's why he WILL give the job to Gary. New manager new budget huw don't like that.

The last quarter of the season was our easiest we nearly lost it. Gary Monk is way out of his depth.
Come winter when monk is in charge we will be screaming for him to leave, it will be a shame, if its not too late.
Huw Jenkins to Reflect on Garry Monk's time in charge on 11:33 - Apr 29 with 1552 viewspencoedjack

Huw Jenkins to Reflect on Garry Monk's time in charge on 11:02 - Apr 29 by exiledinenglandjack

My 2 pence would be to look at bringing a DoF in, can't fault Gary's coaching of the team but i echo the view of his inexperience in the transfer market could hinder us. Frank Arneson who has been previously linked with the role would be the ideal candidate, proven successful in the prem with Chelsea and also at Hamburg i believe where they would have a similar budget to us. Also, experienced in the role of recruitment and recruitment only.

I don't want Monk to get the job, but if he gets it (which I think is inevitable) he will have my full support.

Your proposal would be good.
Huw Jenkins to Reflect on Garry Monk's time in charge on 11:38 - Apr 29 with 1539 viewsWarwickHunt

Huw Jenkins to Reflect on Garry Monk's time in charge on 11:21 - Apr 29 by C_jack

Don't think GM has even scratched the surface of 'manager' yet. Everything is set up for him at the moment, the players, style and philosophy. The real management comes when, inevitably, external factors threaten to change those criteria, and how you either adapt or maintain.

That experience is something that 10 premier league games cannot account for.

Amen, brother.
Huw Jenkins to Reflect on Garry Monk's time in charge on 11:51 - Apr 29 with 1507 viewsSwansea93

For those who dont want Monk in charge next season who would you have?

People go on about Paul Clement but he's untried as a manager.

Huw Jenkins to Reflect on Garry Monk's time in charge on 12:31 - Apr 29 with 1451 viewsWarwickHunt

Huw Jenkins to Reflect on Garry Monk's time in charge on 11:51 - Apr 29 by Swansea93

For those who dont want Monk in charge next season who would you have?

People go on about Paul Clement but he's untried as a manager.

But proven as a coach at the very highest level, which is a start...

We should at least try to interview Frank De Boer who has been making noises about managing in the PL.

I find it hard to believe that in the great wide world of football, Monk is a shoo-in for the job without talking to other potential candidates.
Huw Jenkins to Reflect on Garry Monk's time in charge on 12:36 - Apr 29 with 1437 viewsDarran

Huw Jenkins to Reflect on Garry Monk's time in charge on 12:31 - Apr 29 by WarwickHunt

But proven as a coach at the very highest level, which is a start...

We should at least try to interview Frank De Boer who has been making noises about managing in the PL.

I find it hard to believe that in the great wide world of football, Monk is a shoo-in for the job without talking to other potential candidates.

My first choice would be Clement with Garry as number 2 but if Garry gets it he has my undying sport.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024