Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Crikey 14:23 - Jun 5 with 7550 viewsDrizzle

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2648272/Should-ban-Christmas-Tell
Crikey on 14:32 - Jun 5 with 4561 viewsJackoBoostardo

So you want to bring your kids up to not lie - yet parents lie at the earliest opportunity by saying there's a man who comes down your chimney to give you presents each year, and there's also a magician living in the sky.

Whatever happened to a concept of raising kids to understand the world properly - this doesn't make them grow up to be bad people! We want schools to teach fact to children, yet fill their heads with make believe before school.

Craziness!

And we're Swaaaaanseeeea Ciiiityyyy! Swaaaansseeeaaa Ciiiityyy F C! We're not necessarily the greatest team in football, the world has ever seen (but we're possibly the most honest and resilient). - On behalf of The Campaign For Realistic Crowd Chanting
Poll: How could Van Persie survive such an horrific attack were it to happen again?

Crikey on 14:35 - Jun 5 with 4554 viewsBaker

Crikey on 14:32 - Jun 5 by JackoBoostardo

So you want to bring your kids up to not lie - yet parents lie at the earliest opportunity by saying there's a man who comes down your chimney to give you presents each year, and there's also a magician living in the sky.

Whatever happened to a concept of raising kids to understand the world properly - this doesn't make them grow up to be bad people! We want schools to teach fact to children, yet fill their heads with make believe before school.

Craziness!

Completely agree.

I bring my kids up not to lie & tell porkies, yet there we are as parents, stressed out to make ends meet and lying through our back teeth about some biff with a stupid white beard and a fetish for mince pies.

F*ck santa off I say.
[Post edited 5 Jun 2014 14:36]

May I say? what a smashing blouse you have on!

Crikey on 14:46 - Jun 5 with 4528 viewsDrizzle

I was more surprised by his comments about child sex.
Crikey on 14:51 - Jun 5 with 4511 viewsJackoBoostardo

Crikey on 14:46 - Jun 5 by Drizzle

I was more surprised by his comments about child sex.

He's actually said since those comments were published that the media totally took it out of context and manipulated it in such a way as to sensationalise, and obviously sell more papers.

There is a massive witchhunt on at present for people who allegedly attack and rape kids - and his comments simple explained that this has taken over our lives as a result of the media. We should keep in mind that we have lives too and there is also other news outside of this.

He also explained that abusing your power of trust given by a child to fill their heads with lies and stories based on myth is also child abuse... it is a common known fact that children are able to absorb information for their life ahead of them from an early age, and this information sticks. This makes them more susceptible to indoctrination into a religion in which they have not chosen, but have been taught by their parents as fact. This not only removes or limits their full ability to challenge and question the world around them (their natural curiosity - an important element of learning) , but also has a cascading effect over their future decisions and thought.

What exactly is wrong with that comment?
[Post edited 5 Jun 2014 14:59]

And we're Swaaaaanseeeea Ciiiityyyy! Swaaaansseeeaaa Ciiiityyy F C! We're not necessarily the greatest team in football, the world has ever seen (but we're possibly the most honest and resilient). - On behalf of The Campaign For Realistic Crowd Chanting
Poll: How could Van Persie survive such an horrific attack were it to happen again?

Crikey on 15:06 - Jun 5 with 4488 viewsDrizzle

Fundamentalist atheists are as funny as the christian loons.
Crikey on 15:11 - Jun 5 with 4479 viewsJackoBoostardo

Crikey on 15:06 - Jun 5 by Drizzle

Fundamentalist atheists are as funny as the christian loons.

Fundamentalist Atheists???

What about people who are just simple fed up of being misrepresented, trodden over by a society too focussed on a god they they haven't decided to follow, and who's ability to express themselves has been brushed aside for hundreds of years!??

You're coming across as a bit of an ass with that comment Drizzle...

For a person that appears to care about freedom of religious persecution - you seem quite happy to ridicule someone who thinks differently to yourself when it comes to religion.

Crikey on 15:14 - Jun 5 with 4477 viewsUxbridge

I tried reading the God Delusion.

Chapter 1: God doesn't exist.
Chapter 2: Reasons why God doesn't exist.
Chapter 3: More reasons why God doesn't exist.
Chapter 4: Even more reasons why God doesn't exist.
etc etc

Even if you agree with the premise of his argument, it's a bit of a drag.

As for killing off Santa, what a miserable sod.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Crikey on 15:17 - Jun 5 with 4473 viewsJackoBoostardo

Crikey on 15:14 - Jun 5 by Uxbridge

I tried reading the God Delusion.

Chapter 1: God doesn't exist.
Chapter 2: Reasons why God doesn't exist.
Chapter 3: More reasons why God doesn't exist.
Chapter 4: Even more reasons why God doesn't exist.
etc etc

Even if you agree with the premise of his argument, it's a bit of a drag.

As for killing off Santa, what a miserable sod.

And the bible isn't?

All throughout the Bible you are told

God exists
He is a vengeful god
He is a loving god
He loves mankind - whom he calls his children, and who are made in his image
He will smite those who talk against him, and not reward those who do not believe in him

Sounds like a lovely guy...... with a few sociopathic mental issues bordering on split personality. More contradictions than a politician, but trusted to the point where oaths in court and positions of office are given on it?

If you don't agree with the book The God Delusion, then that is your choice. You took the step to reading the book, and this is the end result afterwards. However, your comment that the Dawkins is miserable is a curious one. Especially considering there is absolutely no notion of making a festive season boring or less fun for kids. You appear to be looking into something just purely to be critical for the sake of it (as if the Bible was any more exciting right?).
[Post edited 5 Jun 2014 15:22]

Login to get fewer ads

Crikey on 15:31 - Jun 5 with 4449 viewsUxbridge

Crikey on 15:17 - Jun 5 by JackoBoostardo

And the bible isn't?

All throughout the Bible you are told

God exists
He is a vengeful god
He is a loving god
He loves mankind - whom he calls his children, and who are made in his image
He will smite those who talk against him, and not reward those who do not believe in him

Sounds like a lovely guy...... with a few sociopathic mental issues bordering on split personality. More contradictions than a politician, but trusted to the point where oaths in court and positions of office are given on it?

If you don't agree with the book The God Delusion, then that is your choice. You took the step to reading the book, and this is the end result afterwards. However, your comment that the Dawkins is miserable is a curious one. Especially considering there is absolutely no notion of making a festive season boring or less fun for kids. You appear to be looking into something just purely to be critical for the sake of it (as if the Bible was any more exciting right?).
[Post edited 5 Jun 2014 15:22]

I actually agree with him. Not on the child abuse comment, which is ridiculous, but on the overall premise that science explains the universe a damn sight better than a book rewritten thousands of times and with little in common to the original scriptures.

I just thought the book was a bag of tedious shiite. Saying the Bible is as well is the equivalent of saying "I know you are".

Crikey on 15:45 - Jun 5 with 4436 viewsJackoBoostardo

Crikey on 15:31 - Jun 5 by Uxbridge

I actually agree with him. Not on the child abuse comment, which is ridiculous, but on the overall premise that science explains the universe a damn sight better than a book rewritten thousands of times and with little in common to the original scriptures.

I just thought the book was a bag of tedious shiite. Saying the Bible is as well is the equivalent of saying "I know you are".

I've read it - and I personally wouldn't say it was boring or tedious. But that's my personal opinion and I respect yours. If you read it thinking it was going to be about the SAS and full of explosions and killing - then I would understand your comments.

Crikey on 15:50 - Jun 5 with 4429 viewsDarran

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Crikey on 15:55 - Jun 5 with 4418 viewsJackoBoostardo

Crikey on 15:50 - Jun 5 by Darran

It's the motives behind the kindness and compassion that is questionable.

Are people doing so for a final reward. A place they believe they will go when they die.

Or are they doing so out of true humanitarianism? The ability to see suffering in others and help, even if there is no final reward for doing so.

Crikey on 15:55 - Jun 5 with 4418 viewsUxbridge

Crikey on 15:45 - Jun 5 by JackoBoostardo

I've read it - and I personally wouldn't say it was boring or tedious. But that's my personal opinion and I respect yours. If you read it thinking it was going to be about the SAS and full of explosions and killing - then I would understand your comments.

Well I expected it to be an engaging read, not a patronising, repetitive, clichéd diatribe. He made Dan Brown look a literary genius.

But hey ho.

Crikey on 15:56 - Jun 5 with 4411 viewsUxbridge

Crikey on 15:55 - Jun 5 by JackoBoostardo

It's the motives behind the kindness and compassion that is questionable.

Are people doing so for a final reward. A place they believe they will go when they die.

Or are they doing so out of true humanitarianism? The ability to see suffering in others and help, even if there is no final reward for doing so.

Does it matter?

Crikey on 16:09 - Jun 5 with 4389 viewsWarwickHunt

Crikey on 15:55 - Jun 5 by Uxbridge

Well I expected it to be an engaging read, not a patronising, repetitive, clichéd diatribe. He made Dan Brown look a literary genius.

But hey ho.

Hardly... Dan Drown makes Katie Price look like Jane Austen.

Anyway, I suggest you read God Is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens and The End Of Faith by Sam Harris. Plenty to get your teeth into there, old fruit.
Crikey on 16:15 - Jun 5 with 4385 viewsJackoBoostardo

Crikey on 15:56 - Jun 5 by Uxbridge

Does it matter?

Absolutely. As a species we have allegedy evolved into civilised beings. However, if your pure basis of being kind and thoughtful of others is not borne out of your humanity, but instead from a belief that you will be rewarded for doing so, then your ability to continue helping people in future is going to be based on receiving rewards (a pass to heaven if you wish).

So what would happen if the people needing help were not compatible with the belief of the person who would help, meaning the promise if a reward was somehow put into jeopardy? It's been seen countless times that many people would not help another in need under these circumstances (not just Christians, but people from all faiths).

So what would happen if the promise of a reward was taken away? i have never believed in the promise of a reward, and have always lived my life as well as I can do, and as a good person. I've helped to save lives in the past, and I've been involved in numerous charity drives. Not in the name of a religion, but because there are people who obviously need help (because my humanity compels me to such actions).

What I am trying to say is, people should want to help because it's the right thing to do. Instead, right or wrong is often dictated by an ingrained, outdated and backwards belief system that we, as humans, should have grown out of.
[Post edited 5 Jun 2014 16:17]

Crikey on 18:39 - Jun 5 with 4297 viewsUxbridge

Crikey on 16:09 - Jun 5 by WarwickHunt

Hardly... Dan Drown makes Katie Price look like Jane Austen.

Anyway, I suggest you read God Is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens and The End Of Faith by Sam Harris. Plenty to get your teeth into there, old fruit.

True. It was that bad.

I like Hitchens' work. I shall take a look once i get past the mountain of books on my bookcase.

Crikey on 18:54 - Jun 5 with 4277 viewsDrizzle

Crikey on 16:15 - Jun 5 by JackoBoostardo

Absolutely. As a species we have allegedy evolved into civilised beings. However, if your pure basis of being kind and thoughtful of others is not borne out of your humanity, but instead from a belief that you will be rewarded for doing so, then your ability to continue helping people in future is going to be based on receiving rewards (a pass to heaven if you wish).

So what would happen if the people needing help were not compatible with the belief of the person who would help, meaning the promise if a reward was somehow put into jeopardy? It's been seen countless times that many people would not help another in need under these circumstances (not just Christians, but people from all faiths).

So what would happen if the promise of a reward was taken away? i have never believed in the promise of a reward, and have always lived my life as well as I can do, and as a good person. I've helped to save lives in the past, and I've been involved in numerous charity drives. Not in the name of a religion, but because there are people who obviously need help (because my humanity compels me to such actions).

What I am trying to say is, people should want to help because it's the right thing to do. Instead, right or wrong is often dictated by an ingrained, outdated and backwards belief system that we, as humans, should have grown out of.

So everyone who disagrees with Dawkins falls into that catagory? Ok just as long as you are not generalising on a gigantic scale.
[Post edited 5 Jun 2014 18:55]
Crikey on 19:00 - Jun 5 with 4257 viewsexiledclaseboy

I mostly agree with Dawkins, but it doesn't alter the fact that he's an intolerant, hectoring bigot and is everything in atheism that he purports to despise in religion.

Poll: Tory leader

Crikey on 19:00 - Jun 5 with 4256 viewsJackoBoostardo

Crikey on 18:54 - Jun 5 by Drizzle

So everyone who disagrees with Dawkins falls into that catagory? Ok just as long as you are not generalising on a gigantic scale.
[Post edited 5 Jun 2014 18:55]

Where did I say that to?

or are you jumping to conclusions for fun?

Crikey on 19:26 - Jun 5 with 4231 viewsUxbridge

Crikey on 16:15 - Jun 5 by JackoBoostardo

Doing good things to make yourself feel good = good
Doing good things to make yourself look good = bad

Er, ok.

Crikey on 19:41 - Jun 5 with 4216 viewsDrizzle

Crikey on 19:00 - Jun 5 by exiledclaseboy

I mostly agree with Dawkins, but it doesn't alter the fact that he's an intolerant, hectoring bigot and is everything in atheism that he purports to despise in religion.

Yahoo. I think Dawkins is a prck. That doesn't make me a creationist.
Crikey on 21:57 - Jun 5 with 4151 viewsJackoBoostardo

Crikey on 19:26 - Jun 5 by Uxbridge

Doing good things to make yourself feel good = good
Doing good things to make yourself look good = bad

Er, ok.

Just the motives.

Here's an example - There is evidence to support Mother Theresa siphoning off millions of pounds in donations received to send to the Vatican. Money that was intended to look after the sick she was seen to be caring for.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/politics/dubious-care-of-the-sick-questi

Let's also consider the work seen by priests who were considered good by the public prior to it being discovered they were abusing boys. And then let's consider the fact that the church covered these reports up in order to maintain a "good" reputation, instead of doing the right thing.

Doing good things doesn't necessarily and always make you a good person. Your motives do make the difference.

Crikey on 22:15 - Jun 5 with 4127 viewsUxbridge

So religious people are incapable of doing anything good without an ulterior motive?

Crikey on 22:20 - Jun 5 with 4116 viewsJackoBoostardo

Crikey on 22:15 - Jun 5 by Uxbridge

So religious people are incapable of doing anything good without an ulterior motive?

Are you even reading the posts?

The post refers to my earlier comments regarding doing good things ffs.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024