Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Transfer Deadline Day — A Real Downer?! 12:40 - Sep 3 with 1450 views_

We were promised at least 2 key signings in the lead up to the window being closed. Ok, they were not in necessarily as key an area pretty much all of the fan base was crying out for — DM; but promised we were.

It seems to me that all our eggs were in a French basket and we were banking on Stambouli choosing us to progress his career. It was becoming clearer and clearer as the days and hours were ticking down that we were not going to get our man and I think deep down nobody on here really expected someone to then come in and WOW us.

This wasn’t going to be an Andrea Orlandi; Guillem Bauza and the legend Angel Rangel finish to a transfer deadline. This one was going to peter out hopefully as quietly as possible for the Manager and Board.

So I did feel a little disappointed as it was getting closer to 11pm and then for the final time the Sky camera’s panned over to outside the Liberty — can you ever have imagined that growing up with the Swans all those years?? I mean who ever before wanted to know we’d spent our first transfer monies on Tommy Mutton after years in the wilderness — and this deal involved tracksuits and match balls if memory serves me correctly?! The reporter stating that Huw Jenkins had left the building some 6 hours previously with a solemn face!!

Well we’ll have to go with what we’ve got then I thought….

The following day, our Club Captain, who has clearly taken on more responsibilities under his mate Garry Monk posted on Facebook how happy he was with our summer dealings. I’m not sure he is the only one updating his site but he’s really pushing our profile out there in a hugely positive light.

He posted photographs of all our summer signings and do you know what — seeing them altogether in print like that, in full Swans kit and in action for us already, it was easy to forget how successful our dealings had been. All credit to the Board and Garry Monk for getting most of it done early — as “promised”. So early in fact that it made a lot of us, myself included, very concerned about the closing, frantic stages.

Lukasz Fabianski; Marvin Emnes, Bafetimbi Gomis, Gylfi Sigurdsson, Jefferson Montero, Federico Fernandez , Tom Carroll and Modou Barrow make for awfully good reading and of course you can add Wilfried Bony to that list in many ways. A poor deadline day perhaps but overall some very exciting and solid acquisitions. Most of us would have taken this at the start I think.

Now to keep them on their toes and happy. Over to you Garry…

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

Transfer Deadline Day — A Real Downer?! on 12:47 - Sep 3 with 1423 viewsCatullus

Still having to genuinely quality strikers is huge!

And hopefully Barrow will turn out to be a very shrewd signing too.

It was a little disappointing not to get a full back and another winger, and like you say DM was more important than both of those.
But maybe HJ and the board looked at our start to the season and felt we didn't need another midfielder?
Not that I necessarily agree mind you, but we are where we are now and have to go with it. Maybe we'll get lucky with injuries this season and they've all already happened!! Then, if we can stay unbeaten ( a big ask in itself) until Leon returns it'll all be rosy.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Transfer Deadline Day — A Real Downer?! on 12:51 - Sep 3 with 1407 viewsQuakerJack

Transfer Deadline Day — A Real Downer?! on 12:47 - Sep 3 by Catullus

Still having to genuinely quality strikers is huge!

And hopefully Barrow will turn out to be a very shrewd signing too.

It was a little disappointing not to get a full back and another winger, and like you say DM was more important than both of those.
But maybe HJ and the board looked at our start to the season and felt we didn't need another midfielder?
Not that I necessarily agree mind you, but we are where we are now and have to go with it. Maybe we'll get lucky with injuries this season and they've all already happened!! Then, if we can stay unbeaten ( a big ask in itself) until Leon returns it'll all be rosy.

There's always January.... with the start we've had, perhaps they feel there was no need to spend over the odds on the last day when we can get to January and take stock.

Poll: Some scummer on the anus board reckons 80% of us want them to go down. so... do

Transfer Deadline Day — A Real Downer?! on 12:54 - Sep 3 with 1387 viewsdobjack2

After carrolls arrival, which suggested stambouli was not happening we were told that we were trying to get in a left back and a right winger, neither of which came off. It happens. Poyet spent a long time trying to get borini, even qpr wouldn't pay what he wanted. Your view appears to be that our failure to get the players in some way constitutes a lie. Each to their own, my view is that we tried and failed.
Transfer Deadline Day — A Real Downer?! on 12:58 - Sep 3 with 1376 viewsDarran

Transfer Deadline Day — A Real Downer?! on 12:54 - Sep 3 by dobjack2

After carrolls arrival, which suggested stambouli was not happening we were told that we were trying to get in a left back and a right winger, neither of which came off. It happens. Poyet spent a long time trying to get borini, even qpr wouldn't pay what he wanted. Your view appears to be that our failure to get the players in some way constitutes a lie. Each to their own, my view is that we tried and failed.

Indeed it's only taken him 4 days to come out with his next negative thread on the board/manager too.
[Post edited 3 Sep 2014 13:03]

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Transfer Deadline Day — A Real Downer?! on 13:01 - Sep 3 with 1349 viewsItchySphincter

Can't be disappointed by the added quality, brilliant transfer window in that respect. A genuine DM would've been the icing on the cake but can't grumble overall. Shifted out a fair bit of deadwood and getting Leon, Marv and Fulton back will sweeten things a bit more.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Transfer Deadline Day — A Real Downer?! on 13:08 - Sep 3 with 1310 viewsPegojack

Can't argue with any of that. I'm still a little concerned that we haven't yet recruited the natural successor to Leon. This time last year, we had hopes it was Canas, but we all know that didn't work out.

Still, that's something for the future; maybe someone is going to come up through the ranks, or we will buy the right guy in time. Hopefully, Leon has got a year or two left in those little legs yet. And it has to be said Ki hasn't done too badly filling in for him so far!
Transfer Deadline Day — A Real Downer?! on 13:09 - Sep 3 with 1304 viewsPhil_S

Transfer Deadline Day — A Real Downer?! on 13:09 - Sep 3 with 1304 viewsmonmouth

I know it's idealistic, but these last minute stampedes for headline signings, or otherwise, appal me. 'Deadline day' is something I avoid like the plague if I can. In many ways, I'd like to see us have a declared policy of no players in and out after the season starts and Huw to turn his phone off, so that all agents, players and clubs know that if you want to do business with Swansea City it will not be disruptive to Swansea City. I know we'd lose a bit of flexibility, but it would create certainty for the manager and the team to concentrate fully on the games and focus everybody's minds to sort out business early.

Unworkable? Undesirable? Maybe, but I'd like to see us take a stand against all this media and money driven horsesh1t.

As to this deadline day; don't care too much. It's been a good transfer window as a whole, and I've no real complaints with the squad in general, including this rather mythical DM. It's a positionally aware and disciplined, quick give and take player that we need there imo, and I think Carrol, Fulton or Ki can learn to fill in there if Leon is out. Maybe a bigger 'problem' is how to accommodate Leon, as one of Ki or JJS has to make way.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Login to get fewer ads

Transfer Deadline Day — A Real Downer?! on 13:14 - Sep 3 with 1276 viewsSweyns_Eye

I disagree that we were promised 2 additional signings. The club were hopeful on getting 2 signings but I don't recall them promising them?

At the end of the day, players signed must be for the right reasons not just for the sake of signing someone or making headlines on transfer deadline day. They must have the right skills we need, fit our budget and be of the right personality to work within our team and club. I'd rather not see a signing than risk signing deadwood or a disruptive influence.

Sky have turned transfer deadline day into a monster. People become disappointed if they don't see their club splurging the cash on the next best thing.

"After the war is over I'm going to buy a British radio set - then at least I'll own something that has always worked". Hermann Goring, 1943.
Poll: How long do you think Monk will last managing Leeds?

Transfer Deadline Day — A Real Downer?! on 13:17 - Sep 3 with 1267 viewsPegojack

Transfer Deadline Day — A Real Downer?! on 13:14 - Sep 3 by Sweyns_Eye

I disagree that we were promised 2 additional signings. The club were hopeful on getting 2 signings but I don't recall them promising them?

At the end of the day, players signed must be for the right reasons not just for the sake of signing someone or making headlines on transfer deadline day. They must have the right skills we need, fit our budget and be of the right personality to work within our team and club. I'd rather not see a signing than risk signing deadwood or a disruptive influence.

Sky have turned transfer deadline day into a monster. People become disappointed if they don't see their club splurging the cash on the next best thing.

Excellent post.
Transfer Deadline Day — A Real Downer?! on 13:25 - Sep 3 with 1223 viewsSwan91

Transfer Deadline Day — A Real Downer?! on 13:14 - Sep 3 by Sweyns_Eye

You beat me to it, was just about to say the same thing.
Transfer Deadline Day — A Real Downer?! on 13:38 - Sep 3 with 1190 viewsJack_Daniels

1 or 2 signings would have been nice especially after GM indicated the squad was short in a couple of areas.

Im concerned if we get an injury at full back, or both AR / NT suffer a poor run of form. As for the defensive midfield situation I cannot get my head around how this was not a priority but clearly its felt we have sufficient personnel to do the job?

Taking everything into account, any disappointment I may have felt was far outweighed when it was confirmed we had kept hold of Bony. This was THE priority during the summer window as far as Im concerned, added to the quality players we had already brought in it definitely was not a real downer.
Transfer Deadline Day — A Real Downer?! on 13:46 - Sep 3 with 1165 viewsMagicDaps

In what sense were we promised two key signings?

Monk wanted two players and he made that clear, but in no way did he promise them.

Poll: Has Marvin Emnes Earned A Long Term Deal?

Transfer Deadline Day — A Real Downer?! on 14:20 - Sep 3 with 1110 viewsLeonisGod

Transfer Deadline Day — A Real Downer?! on 13:46 - Sep 3 by MagicDaps

In what sense were we promised two key signings?

Monk wanted two players and he made that clear, but in no way did he promise them.

Indeed. Hoping to get two more in and promising it are quite different.

Anyhow, fullbacks with first team experience:
Angel (top-ranked defender at the club so far this season)
Tayls
Tiendalli
Jaz
Kingsley

CM:
JJS
Ki
Leon
Amat (at a push)
Carroll

and wingers:
Dyer
Routs
Montero
Emnes

Plus the youngsters coming through, means we won't be short of players. Even if some of the back-up is not of the quality we would like.
Transfer Deadline Day — A Real Downer?! on 14:35 - Sep 3 with 1085 viewslondonlisa2001

Transfer Deadline Day — A Real Downer?! on 14:20 - Sep 3 by LeonisGod

Indeed. Hoping to get two more in and promising it are quite different.

Anyhow, fullbacks with first team experience:
Angel (top-ranked defender at the club so far this season)
Tayls
Tiendalli
Jaz
Kingsley

CM:
JJS
Ki
Leon
Amat (at a push)
Carroll

and wingers:
Dyer
Routs
Montero
Emnes

Plus the youngsters coming through, means we won't be short of players. Even if some of the back-up is not of the quality we would like.

there's also Fulton to add to the CM list - looked good when he played at Sunderland last season.
Transfer Deadline Day — A Real Downer?! on 15:24 - Sep 3 with 1016 viewsJokeren1943

Swansea is general very conservative when it comes to spending money.

Each summer for the last couple of years they have spent around 15 million.
Transfer Deadline Day — A Real Downer?! on 15:42 - Sep 3 with 979 viewsTummer_from_Texas

I don't think "we were promised at least 2 key signings" is fair - more like we were pursuing two more key signings, in a perfect world.

We didn't get our preferred choices, and decided it wasn't worth pursuing our secondary options. Totally understandable to me.

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Transfer Deadline Day — A Real Downer?! on 16:17 - Sep 3 with 934 viewsnantywatcher

All this moaning about a need for a defensive midfielder!
When you set up a team to cross tha "white line" you either send them out focussing on the strengths of the opposition and concentrate your team to stop those better sides breaching your defence so thereby needing a DM.
I think the GM style where we have three midfielders who are all capable of destroying the opposition, whether it is through intricate passing and movement or sublime passing, let the opposition worry about needing a DM, because with our ability to retain possession, most teams will need one.
TSC - I bet you were a nightmare when you did not get a train set for Christmas.
Transfer Deadline Day — A Real Downer?! on 16:28 - Sep 3 with 910 viewsacejack3065

Bony has stayed with us. That makes deadline day a pretty decent success as that is the one thing that needed to happen.

Transfer deadline day has become this perverse orgy of irratic spending and sensationalist signing and it's not something I've yet been entirely convinced by or bought into to be honest. I'm quite happy that we get the bulk of our trading done in the preseason so the player is signed on the right terms and has time to bed in properly.

Sky sports use deadline day to extract money out of football and it's for the best that as a club we don't feel compulsed to join in.

Also it's clear that T2C is absolutely itching to have a pop at Monk at the club. I truly can't wait for his insight into the plight of Swansea City after our first loss of the season.
Transfer Deadline Day — A Real Downer?! on 16:30 - Sep 3 with 907 viewsnavyjack

I think Ashley Williams committing early pre-season can't be under-estimated. Like a new signing and he has started the season in fine form...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024