Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Good result but doesn't hide the problems 17:06 - Sep 20 with 2076 viewsfamousgrouse

A fighting performance but a game very low on quality. We had very little possession on which to build any attacks, we were wasteful when we had free kicks in attacking half, and gave away free kicks in dangerous areas unnecessarily. Hard to pick out a MoM but Daniels seemed to grow into his position as did Rentmeister until his injury.
Good result but doesn't hide the problems on 17:24 - Sep 20 with 2060 viewsOrmegod

Only one MoM today for me and that was Joe Lewis,again!

"Managing a league club is like making love to a mermaid, you should be aiming for a top half finish"

Good result but doesn't hide the problems on 17:26 - Sep 20 with 2059 views1953Original

Have seen more games than I've missed this season and it's apparent where the problem is. Centre of midfield lacks any creativity or forward movement. Perkins and Lundstram are both tryers but neither has what we need. We also need a nippy striker off Miller to cause problems up front. Thank God for a decent back four or we could be rock bottom with a seriously bad goal difference!

Poll: League One Play Off Winners?

Good result but doesn't hide the problems on 17:30 - Sep 20 with 2058 viewsthebigone

Good result but doesn't hide the problems on 17:26 - Sep 20 by 1953Original

Have seen more games than I've missed this season and it's apparent where the problem is. Centre of midfield lacks any creativity or forward movement. Perkins and Lundstram are both tryers but neither has what we need. We also need a nippy striker off Miller to cause problems up front. Thank God for a decent back four or we could be rock bottom with a seriously bad goal difference!

Joe Lewis has been the find of the season and worries me a bit what this Parrish bloke will be like when we play Cardiff. In fairness for the defence to have not conceded from open play in the last three games there has to be serious credit given to them but I despair of our attack. Two shots on goal today is just woeful and Riga needs to give our attacking play some serious thought in the next 7 days as I can't see us not conceding against free scoring Norwich!

Poll: After the articles - Who do you blame?

Good result but doesn't hide the problems on 17:35 - Sep 20 with 2053 viewsAVFTTConvert

Good result but doesn't hide the problems on 17:30 - Sep 20 by thebigone

Joe Lewis has been the find of the season and worries me a bit what this Parrish bloke will be like when we play Cardiff. In fairness for the defence to have not conceded from open play in the last three games there has to be serious credit given to them but I despair of our attack. Two shots on goal today is just woeful and Riga needs to give our attacking play some serious thought in the next 7 days as I can't see us not conceding against free scoring Norwich!

To me, and I wasn't there today. we seem to lack confidence pushing the ball forward and a formation which allows players to find space. We are way too narrow and the central midfield two too deep. Also I was watching Football Focus earlier and the majority of goals from Midweek were speculative long distance efforts - how many times this season have we actually tested the opposition keeper from outside or just inside the box?

Poll: Worst 'Regular' First Teamer at the moment?

Good result but doesn't hide the problems on 17:39 - Sep 20 with 2051 viewsBigbrother

Good result but doesn't hide the problems on 17:35 - Sep 20 by AVFTTConvert

To me, and I wasn't there today. we seem to lack confidence pushing the ball forward and a formation which allows players to find space. We are way too narrow and the central midfield two too deep. Also I was watching Football Focus earlier and the majority of goals from Midweek were speculative long distance efforts - how many times this season have we actually tested the opposition keeper from outside or just inside the box?

The report sums it up - score in each of the last 3 games and we'd have 7 points and be out of the bottom three with loads of confidence. Time for Riga to find some new blood. Incidentally anyone know how bad Cubero's injury is?

Poll: Who is King Rat in the Oyston Family

Good result but doesn't hide the problems on 17:43 - Sep 20 with 2042 viewsrigabeliever

Good result but doesn't hide the problems on 17:39 - Sep 20 by Bigbrother

The report sums it up - score in each of the last 3 games and we'd have 7 points and be out of the bottom three with loads of confidence. Time for Riga to find some new blood. Incidentally anyone know how bad Cubero's injury is?

The opening few words of the o/p says it all really 'a fighting performance' - looks like we've gone back to being plucky little Blackpool who get patted on the back for getting a draw at Brighton!!

Poll: When will Blackpool's first win come?

Good result but doesn't hide the problems on 17:46 - Sep 20 with 2039 viewsHappy_Satsuma

Good result but doesn't hide the problems on 17:43 - Sep 20 by rigabeliever

The opening few words of the o/p says it all really 'a fighting performance' - looks like we've gone back to being plucky little Blackpool who get patted on the back for getting a draw at Brighton!!

Let's get Cubero in this side and see what he can do. It quite often only takes one player to unlock a side's potential as we have seen in the past with the likes of Charlie Adam. Would love to see him play next week against Norwich. As for our strikers I wasn't excited when we got any of them to be honest and is little surprise that they have returned so few goals.

Poll: Riga - Stay or Go

Good result but doesn't hide the problems on 17:50 - Sep 20 with 2034 viewsBFC_Tim

Good result but doesn't hide the problems on 17:46 - Sep 20 by Happy_Satsuma

Let's get Cubero in this side and see what he can do. It quite often only takes one player to unlock a side's potential as we have seen in the past with the likes of Charlie Adam. Would love to see him play next week against Norwich. As for our strikers I wasn't excited when we got any of them to be honest and is little surprise that they have returned so few goals.

If you're not getting wins then you have to look at making changes. So far Riga has changed the front two most games, the wide men most games but the one place he's not changed since we started this campaign is Perkins/Lundstram and there must be better out there to bring in on loan surely?

Poll: Who reckons we'll beat Watford?

Login to get fewer ads

Good result but doesn't hide the problems on 17:54 - Sep 20 with 2031 viewsWindyMiller

Couldn't get there today but have just spoken to a mate on the phone who said it was back to the wall stuff especially when they added on the 6 minutes. Said the keeper was exceptional and the who back four played well but said we lacked any sort of quality or movement in midfield and looked content to defend for much of the game. I suppose it's what you want at the moment away from home just to build confidence and get some points on the board.

Poll: Should Karl Oyston resign or be sacked?

Good result but doesn't hide the problems on 17:57 - Sep 20 with 2026 viewshertfordseasider

We are what we are, we lack quality all over the pitch, Riga has been hamstrung and isn't going to get any help, but those players gave everything today, they were shattered at the end. You can't fault the commitment, but the team is league 1 at best I am afraid.

KO made another mess of things on TV today, our only hope is for him to go, anything else and we will just continue declining but will be debt free although run like we are in administration!!
Good result but doesn't hide the problems on 18:10 - Sep 20 with 2014 viewsTwoPhillips

One of the few posters from the old site I'd like over here is straightatthewall as he always gives an interesting insight - anyone who knows him tell him to copy his stuff on here as well as it's always a good read. In the meantime I'll do a Gazette and Copy and Paste:

Both positive and negative.

On the plus side, Lewis is getting better and looks confident and with good qualities. The highest praise I can offer is that we've not missed Gilksy. He ain't better than him, but he's certainly not looking worse than him either and that's a good thing.

The effort shown by every player was commendable too. I've seen them twice now and both times, I couldn't fault the work rate and commitment. I think, given the total shambles we have seen, that they could easily be forgiven for adopting an attitude as unprofessional as that of the chairman. That they haven't done is to their credit.

It was also good to see Miller play the full game. He's clearly got ability, but it was also obvious that he's well off peak fitness. He needs to keep playing as if he does, he will become a greater threat.

The concern now is whether his contract allows him to keep playing regularly. Watch out for minor injuries keeping him out. If they do, then we'll know that Riga can't play him all the time due to financial constraints.

The negatives are there for all to see too, sadly. For all the hard work and excellent attitude, there are just far too many players in this squad who are way below Championship quality. I'd also note that the 2 best players I've seen in the games I've watched - Lewis and Daniels - are not ours.

Our creative ability is extremely limited. I can't recall much at all in terms of chances created or even attempts to create chances. It's functional at best and there is nobody in the front 6 who you'd currently fear if they were lining up against us. That's a major worry. Even Fulham have a goal threat. We don't. If you don't concede you won't lose, but if you don't score you won't win. Wins are what we're going to need.

I said midweek that we're 4 players short of being good enough to stay up. I still stand by that. Sadly, I don't see that happening, because I don't believe Karl has money to spend (even though we all know the club should be rolling in it.)

Poll: That final Premier League Relegation Place

Good result but doesn't hide the problems on 18:13 - Sep 20 with 2011 viewsOrioltwins

If this would have been the first game of the season I think many of us would have been jumping through hoops at this point but sadly where we are means we need a few wins under our belts for so many reasons.

I think those who say we are a good performance away from a win are deluding themselves somewhat because this is a very average side that we have cobbled together and it will need that quality added to it before we will start to move up this table (and once they have a new manager in don't expect Fulham to remain below us for very long).

Poll: Will a points deduction by FL be this or next season?

Good result but doesn't hide the problems on 18:16 - Sep 20 with 2008 viewstangerinedom

Can I just say I apologise about Rentmeister - I hear he had a couple of hairy moments but overall did OK and I was the first to say I thought we'd concede a hatful with him in defence and so well done Jeffrey.
Good result but doesn't hide the problems on 18:25 - Sep 20 with 2003 viewsHappy_Satsuma

Good to see a positive tweet from Daniels

Poll: Riga - Stay or Go

Good result but doesn't hide the problems on 18:28 - Sep 20 with 2001 viewsSTHolder

I think what people forget here is that in the last three games we could have got absolutely hammered by three very good sides -3rd and 4th place team in the Championship and a side that is tough to beat at home. Yet we have come out of it with character and two points. Not huge in the grand scheme of things but we have a manager who is hopefully staying put and sorting out our weaknesses, players who are clearly playing for each other and the club and maybe for the first time since Ince left a feeling we might be actually on the up.
Good result but doesn't hide the problems on 20:07 - Sep 20 with 1954 viewsbrassedoff

Good result but doesn't hide the problems on 18:28 - Sep 20 by STHolder

I think what people forget here is that in the last three games we could have got absolutely hammered by three very good sides -3rd and 4th place team in the Championship and a side that is tough to beat at home. Yet we have come out of it with character and two points. Not huge in the grand scheme of things but we have a manager who is hopefully staying put and sorting out our weaknesses, players who are clearly playing for each other and the club and maybe for the first time since Ince left a feeling we might be actually on the up.

Think STHoder has hit the nail in the head - reckon we'd have done a bit better with the fixtures we had in August if we'd played them now.

Poll: Would you still play the Oriol's

Good result but doesn't hide the problems on 20:16 - Sep 20 with 1950 viewsOrmerod89

This was my mate's assessment who went ...

We defended well with both Oriol and Daniels putting in a good shift. We offered little upfront with only two shots on target, Miller didn't look interested and Ranger didn't add anything when he came on. It might have just been a bad day for him but Zenjov was particularly poor. I like Joe Lewis and I thought Perkins tried to make things happen.

Poll: Who is going to win the Championship?

Good result but doesn't hide the problems on 22:16 - Sep 20 with 1916 viewsAVFTTConvert

Interesting how people talk positively about Perkins and yet I just don't see it - is he any more than just a yappy little terrier who is a bit of a nuisance?

Poll: Worst 'Regular' First Teamer at the moment?

Good result but doesn't hide the problems on 07:06 - Sep 21 with 1881 viewswespens

Sumnmed it up in the opening line there - low on quality - until we bring that in we won't see a change in performances or results.

Poll: Would you ever play John Lundstram again?

Good result but doesn't hide the problems on 09:30 - Sep 21 with 1865 viewsfamousgrouse

Good result but doesn't hide the problems on 22:16 - Sep 20 by AVFTTConvert

Interesting how people talk positively about Perkins and yet I just don't see it - is he any more than just a yappy little terrier who is a bit of a nuisance?

I agree about Perkins! what is this love-affair that some people have about him? Is it because he gets noticed because of his blond hair? We have had diminutive players before (Ball, Green, Hoolahan, etc.) but they have all had that one element to add to their game which Perkins has not got ie SKILL!
Good result but doesn't hide the problems on 09:51 - Sep 21 with 1858 viewsthebigone

Good result but doesn't hide the problems on 09:30 - Sep 21 by famousgrouse

I agree about Perkins! what is this love-affair that some people have about him? Is it because he gets noticed because of his blond hair? We have had diminutive players before (Ball, Green, Hoolahan, etc.) but they have all had that one element to add to their game which Perkins has not got ie SKILL!

FG - there seems to be an appreciation of Perkins because he works hard and is industrious and alongside some player who seem incapable of more than musical statues that is admirable. A bit like last season when he came in to a poor team he kept winning MOTM because he is a busy player .. but similarly that doesn't mean he's any good!!

Poll: After the articles - Who do you blame?

Good result but doesn't hide the problems on 09:59 - Sep 21 with 1854 viewswe_are_Superior

Good result but doesn't hide the problems on 09:51 - Sep 21 by thebigone

FG - there seems to be an appreciation of Perkins because he works hard and is industrious and alongside some player who seem incapable of more than musical statues that is admirable. A bit like last season when he came in to a poor team he kept winning MOTM because he is a busy player .. but similarly that doesn't mean he's any good!!

The stuff about Miller is worrying as he is the man who should be getting us out of this. I remember that player who wore a West Brom shirt who terrified defences and all I see now is a pale shadow of that player. Did warn about getting him in the first place!

Poll: Would Richie Kyle make a good manager?

Good result but doesn't hide the problems on 10:05 - Sep 21 with 1851 viewsBFC_Tim

Good result but doesn't hide the problems on 09:59 - Sep 21 by we_are_Superior

The stuff about Miller is worrying as he is the man who should be getting us out of this. I remember that player who wore a West Brom shirt who terrified defences and all I see now is a pale shadow of that player. Did warn about getting him in the first place!

No matter how we're playing the important thing is how well we are doing defensively - much easier to work from the back forward than the other way and am sure Riga will be looking at this. Make us difficult to beat first and then start to work on winning games.

Poll: Who reckons we'll beat Watford?

Good result but doesn't hide the problems on 11:29 - Sep 21 with 1836 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

Riga is big on efficiency and a secure defensive base. That side of it seems to be going quite well. Very early days yet.

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

Good result but doesn't hide the problems on 11:54 - Sep 21 with 1829 viewsWindyMiller

Good result but doesn't hide the problems on 11:29 - Sep 21 by basilrobbiereborn

Riga is big on efficiency and a secure defensive base. That side of it seems to be going quite well. Very early days yet.

Am hoping BRR that this is going to be a long term project for Riga and in which case, as you say, these are very early days. Maybe as well he has a whole season ahead to get things right!!

Poll: Should Karl Oyston resign or be sacked?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024