Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Karl Oyston Step Down - A Petition 09:25 - Dec 24 with 13880 viewsBFCSupportersTrust

Club President Valeri Belokon has called upon all Blackpool fans to support a petition for Club Chairman Karl Oyston to step down from his position with immediate effect.

Blackpool Supporters Trust would ask that our members , Blackpool fans and indeed all in the football community support Mr Belokons request and sign the attached petition that requests that Mr Karl Oyston step down from any position of influence in Blackpool FC immediately. This petition will be submitted to the FA and Football League as well as to Blackpool Football Club owner Mr Owen Oyston.

As many fans will be aware, Karl Oyston has recently been in the national and local media, having engaged in a series of abusive text exchanges with Blackpool supporters, which has further sullied the good name of Blackpool FC through association.

The attitude displayed by Mr Oyston, not only in regard to the unacceptable references to disabilities and ' special needs ' but in his general attitude towards hard working Blackpool fans in general makes him in our view unsuitable to hold a position of influence within our famous community football club.

For some time the relationship between Club and its fans has been strained and it is our firm belief that many of these issues are a direct result of Karl Oyston and his confrontational approach to the fan base. This latest outburst from Mr Oyston is simply a very public demonstration of an attitude that as has no place on football and decent society and which in addition has had a negative impact on relations between Karl Oyston and numerous managers , board members , members of the Press , players , fans and of course, Mr Belokon himself. When one individual manages to sour relations with so many other people, then the source of the problem becomes patently obvious. Karl Oyston seems incapable of managing everyday relationships without conflict and that cannot be good for Blackpool Football Club.

The time has come for Blackpool Football Club to move on into a new era of cooperation between Club and its fans and the wider community and for us to build upon the success that Valeri Belokon's substantial investment had brought about. Blackpool Supporters Trust call upon Mr Owen Oyston to remove Karl Oyston from any position of influence with immediate effect and re-establish a working relationship with Valeri Belokon, with a view to making positive progress, placing football first, investing properly for the success of the team and to start treating the fans and community of Blackpool with the respect that they deserve from the ambassador of our historic club.

Please sign the online petition detailing your full name & email address, together with any comments that you feel are relevant.

https://www.change.org/p/karl-oyston-resign-as-chairman-of-blackpool-football-cl
Karl Oyston Step Down - A Petition on 13:55 - Dec 30 with 2333 viewsWizaard

Karl Oyston Step Down - A Petition on 12:43 - Dec 30 by phil007tangerine

While you're here...
Were you at the BSA AGM Wiz?

Did/do you support a motion for independence?

Do you support an open vote by all members to decide the issue?

Straight questions.

I wasn't at the AGM. I have never been to a BSA AGM.

I haven't been asked about independence but if asked would suggest a merger with BST.
Karl Oyston Step Down - A Petition on 15:13 - Dec 30 with 2295 viewsKOSBowlCut

Karl Oyston Step Down - A Petition on 13:55 - Dec 30 by Wizaard

I wasn't at the AGM. I have never been to a BSA AGM.

I haven't been asked about independence but if asked would suggest a merger with BST.

I think BSA have sadly been shafted by the O's. Of course it was beneficial to have ties with the club but he has made them look fools and lose all credibility. Shame for all the good work they've done this is how they'll be remembered.

Poll: Would you play Nile Ranger from the start against Reading?

Karl Oyston Step Down - A Petition on 11:18 - Dec 31 with 2263 viewstangerinemoss

Karl Oyston Step Down - A Petition on 15:13 - Dec 30 by KOSBowlCut

I think BSA have sadly been shafted by the O's. Of course it was beneficial to have ties with the club but he has made them look fools and lose all credibility. Shame for all the good work they've done this is how they'll be remembered.

Bump in case anyone has forgotten or new readers, a few to go to 6K

Life isn't fair. Learn that early on, and you will worry less and do more.
Poll: What decade did you first go to Bloomfield Road?

Karl Oyston Step Down - A Petition on 13:08 - Dec 31 with 2248 viewsphil007tangerine

Karl Oyston Step Down - A Petition on 11:18 - Dec 31 by tangerinemoss

Thnaks moss.

SIX THOUSAND SIGNATURES NOW UP
Karl Oyston Step Down - A Petition on 13:18 - Dec 31 with 2246 viewsterminallytangerine

Karl Oyston Step Down - A Petition on 11:18 - Dec 31 by tangerinemoss

"The attitude displayed by Mr Oyston, not only in regard to the unacceptable references to disabilities and ' special needs ' but in his general attitude towards hard working Blackpool fans in general makes him in our view unsuitable to hold a position of influence within our famous community football club."

I must say this is the strongest argument for me as KO has been urged for the last 12 months to win hearts and minds by his actions and by his words, and using derogatory references to the disabled is just unacceptable. I don't think his response to this has as yet shown enough awareness of the damage that has been done, though I do sympathise with his attempt to put this into context. Some of his opponents have hardly been models of virtuous restraint when it came to the abuse of his family or encouraging 14 (?) year olds to chant for the death of his father, no doubt the same people who are happy to use anti-disability, sexist. homophobic jibes in social media - aimed at him and other supporters - while shouting loudest about what he said. The end of removing the Oystons doesn't justify the means of creating a cauldron of hatred in my view (unpopular though this may be). I can only assume that KO's failure not to block his phone calls or change his number was the result of his seeing himself as a man of the people who can give as much banter as he takes.

Although I would prefer to wait for an FA inquiry I will nevertheless sign this petition as a protest against his failure to act responsibly but fear for what might fill the vacuum if Aslan doesn't come bounding over the Russian steppes to rescue us.

I wouldn't, however, condemn anyone who decided otherwise: this is after all for individuals to weigh the arguments not on a re-run of the Austrian Anschluss.

-!
Karl Oyston Step Down - A Petition on 15:11 - Dec 31 with 2218 viewsBFCx3

Karl Oyston Step Down - A Petition on 13:18 - Dec 31 by terminallytangerine

"The attitude displayed by Mr Oyston, not only in regard to the unacceptable references to disabilities and ' special needs ' but in his general attitude towards hard working Blackpool fans in general makes him in our view unsuitable to hold a position of influence within our famous community football club."

I must say this is the strongest argument for me as KO has been urged for the last 12 months to win hearts and minds by his actions and by his words, and using derogatory references to the disabled is just unacceptable. I don't think his response to this has as yet shown enough awareness of the damage that has been done, though I do sympathise with his attempt to put this into context. Some of his opponents have hardly been models of virtuous restraint when it came to the abuse of his family or encouraging 14 (?) year olds to chant for the death of his father, no doubt the same people who are happy to use anti-disability, sexist. homophobic jibes in social media - aimed at him and other supporters - while shouting loudest about what he said. The end of removing the Oystons doesn't justify the means of creating a cauldron of hatred in my view (unpopular though this may be). I can only assume that KO's failure not to block his phone calls or change his number was the result of his seeing himself as a man of the people who can give as much banter as he takes.

Although I would prefer to wait for an FA inquiry I will nevertheless sign this petition as a protest against his failure to act responsibly but fear for what might fill the vacuum if Aslan doesn't come bounding over the Russian steppes to rescue us.

I wouldn't, however, condemn anyone who decided otherwise: this is after all for individuals to weigh the arguments not on a re-run of the Austrian Anschluss.

-!

TT I think plenty will share your concerns over some of the more vitriolic abuse aimed at the Oystons, but at the same time I think we have to make a clear distinction between the responsibilities of a Football Chairman and those of a Football Supporter.

To own a Football Club is a privilege and to be appointed Chairman is a considerable responsibility along with which come a number of very obvious challenges. A fundamental challenge is the management of relations between Club and supporters in both good times and bad. There is an inevitability when it comes to positions of power in football and being subject to harsh criticism, intense pressure and sometimes unfair and obnoxious attack for just trying to do your job is par for the course.

I don't think it is unfair to suggest that Karl has courted controversy where possible and rather than temper a growing tide of discontent amongst the fans, he has instead poked and prodded those fans to a point where feelings had become pretty raw. He may have felt he was justified in attacking those he felt attacked him, but he has been party to an escalation, when he could and should have taken a different route IMO.

So for me, I think some of what KO has experienced goes with the territory and I think he should have been man enough to take that on the chin and managed that situation much better. I think he has had a significant role in creating / developing the circumstances that have led to increased fan frustrations and much of the problems that have boiled over as a result.

With that in mind I'd have to say that I don't believe he is a suitable person to hold the responsible position as Chariman of a Football Club. As for those who you consider to have acted equally innappropriately, the simple fact is that they are not the Chairman of a Football Club, nor are they likely to be and if they were, then we would all expect that they too would uphold the same standards that we expect of Mr Oyston.

I'd like to think that if we do see some changes withing the running of our Club that one of the first things that they seek to address is the quite ridiculous approach to managing the relationship with supporters. Because the complete disregard for supporters (both home and away) generally at Blackpool F C has blighted this Club for some time. Ian Holloway showed what was possible by seeking to engage with the local community and promote the club.......Karl Oyston has manage to prove that theory, by reaping the rewards of the opposite extreme.
[Post edited 31 Dec 2014 15:20]
Karl Oyston Step Down - A Petition on 15:13 - Dec 31 with 2217 viewsterminallytangerine

Karl Oyston Step Down - A Petition on 15:11 - Dec 31 by BFCx3

TT I think plenty will share your concerns over some of the more vitriolic abuse aimed at the Oystons, but at the same time I think we have to make a clear distinction between the responsibilities of a Football Chairman and those of a Football Supporter.

To own a Football Club is a privilege and to be appointed Chairman is a considerable responsibility along with which come a number of very obvious challenges. A fundamental challenge is the management of relations between Club and supporters in both good times and bad. There is an inevitability when it comes to positions of power in football and being subject to harsh criticism, intense pressure and sometimes unfair and obnoxious attack for just trying to do your job is par for the course.

I don't think it is unfair to suggest that Karl has courted controversy where possible and rather than temper a growing tide of discontent amongst the fans, he has instead poked and prodded those fans to a point where feelings had become pretty raw. He may have felt he was justified in attacking those he felt attacked him, but he has been party to an escalation, when he could and should have taken a different route IMO.

So for me, I think some of what KO has experienced goes with the territory and I think he should have been man enough to take that on the chin and managed that situation much better. I think he has had a significant role in creating / developing the circumstances that have led to increased fan frustrations and much of the problems that have boiled over as a result.

With that in mind I'd have to say that I don't believe he is a suitable person to hold the responsible position as Chariman of a Football Club. As for those who you consider to have acted equally innappropriately, the simple fact is that they are not the Chairman of a Football Club, nor are they likely to be and if they were, then we would all expect that they too would uphold the same standards that we expect of Mr Oyston.

I'd like to think that if we do see some changes withing the running of our Club that one of the first things that they seek to address is the quite ridiculous approach to managing the relationship with supporters. Because the complete disregard for supporters (both home and away) generally at Blackpool F C has blighted this Club for some time. Ian Holloway showed what was possible by seeking to engage with the local community and promote the club.......Karl Oyston has manage to prove that theory, by reaping the rewards of the opposite extreme.

I think I'm pretty much in agreement with all of that.
Karl Oyston Step Down - A Petition on 15:28 - Dec 31 with 2207 viewsribble

Good posts there, TT and BFCx3.
Login to get fewer ads

Karl Oyston Step Down - A Petition on 15:48 - Dec 31 with 2191 viewsRusty2Stands

Karl Oyston Step Down - A Petition on 15:28 - Dec 31 by ribble

Good posts there, TT and BFCx3.

Can't really argue with either post TT or BFCX3.
BFCx3 in particular, an excellent post and one of the best I've read on here for a while.
And yes, I agree that some fans have aimed below the belt. But you have to ask why have certain fans behaved in such a way?
I don't think there can be a Chairman or head of any company who has been so divisive and so 'successful' in alienating the customer base.
The customer base,i.e the fans, are the lifeblood of the club. The owners are just temporary custodians but have far more responsibility in the way they behave.
They also have a responsibility to the town and in running what is a community asset, and a much cherished one to thousands of people.
Karl Oyston has failed miserably in that responsibility.
I've posted many times over the past few years that I don't believe that KO is a fit and proper person for the post of Chairman and the responsibility that goes with it.
I have doubts that this vile man would be a fit and proper person to be sweeping the streets, such is the level of arrogance and incompetence shown.
Karl Oyston Step Down - A Petition on 16:42 - Dec 31 with 2192 viewsterminallytangerine

Karl Oyston Step Down - A Petition on 15:48 - Dec 31 by Rusty2Stands

Can't really argue with either post TT or BFCX3.
BFCx3 in particular, an excellent post and one of the best I've read on here for a while.
And yes, I agree that some fans have aimed below the belt. But you have to ask why have certain fans behaved in such a way?
I don't think there can be a Chairman or head of any company who has been so divisive and so 'successful' in alienating the customer base.
The customer base,i.e the fans, are the lifeblood of the club. The owners are just temporary custodians but have far more responsibility in the way they behave.
They also have a responsibility to the town and in running what is a community asset, and a much cherished one to thousands of people.
Karl Oyston has failed miserably in that responsibility.
I've posted many times over the past few years that I don't believe that KO is a fit and proper person for the post of Chairman and the responsibility that goes with it.
I have doubts that this vile man would be a fit and proper person to be sweeping the streets, such is the level of arrogance and incompetence shown.

Well it's good to have some agreement.

Just to add,

I think there is a tendency among some supporters - not necessarily those on this thread - to argue that because the owners are ultimately responsible for the position the club is in everything that happens, including the abuse of other supporters and Oystons children, is the Oystons fault.

To me this is woolly thinking and a moral cop-out, and I would expect all decent supporters to condemn it for the fascistic and vindictive behaviour it is.
[Post edited 31 Dec 2014 16:50]
Karl Oyston Step Down - A Petition on 17:39 - Dec 31 with 2179 viewsWizaard

Right from the off, I said while both used reprehensible language in the text exchange, one was a public figure while the other was a private individual.

This all comes back to Karl's insistence on having to have the last word. I warned him months ago that his and his family's engagement in social media was damaging him and the club, but his view was that, if attacked, they had every right to hit back harder. That might be the case for individuals, but as public figures, there is simply no leeway given for anything vaguely inappropriate.

To then go far beyond that, with the language of a schoolyard spat in the early 70's while being the public face of a community asset is simply not acceptable. He simply doesn't recognise that there is a world of difference between private exchanges and those expected of a public figure, despite having seen what happened with Malky Mackay and Dave Whelan.

For me and many more, that is the straw that broke the camel's back, hence the petition gathering pace and a sense that the current position is irretrievable for the family.
Karl Oyston Step Down - A Petition on 18:22 - Dec 31 with 2164 viewsBFCx3

Karl Oyston Step Down - A Petition on 16:42 - Dec 31 by terminallytangerine

Well it's good to have some agreement.

Just to add,

I think there is a tendency among some supporters - not necessarily those on this thread - to argue that because the owners are ultimately responsible for the position the club is in everything that happens, including the abuse of other supporters and Oystons children, is the Oystons fault.

To me this is woolly thinking and a moral cop-out, and I would expect all decent supporters to condemn it for the fascistic and vindictive behaviour it is.
[Post edited 31 Dec 2014 16:50]

That's probably where the lines start to become a bit blurry TT. Everyone has to take responsibility for their own actions, people have differing views on what is or isn't acceptable and rightly or wrongly people are also naturally inclined to stand by their mates.

I do think that normal people would not be reacting in the way they have, had there not been a degree of escalation though and I'm not sure you can get away from the contribution that the Oystons have made to the situation reaching this point, the two things go hand in hand.

The more helpless / hopeless people are made to feel, the more they exhaust reasonable measures in the hope of a reasonable response, then the more irrational and extreme they tend to become. I'd probably say that I can understand why people have reacted in the way that they have, even if it is not the way I would choose to react myself.
Karl Oyston Step Down - A Petition on 18:33 - Dec 31 with 2160 viewsterminallytangerine

Karl Oyston Step Down - A Petition on 18:22 - Dec 31 by BFCx3

That's probably where the lines start to become a bit blurry TT. Everyone has to take responsibility for their own actions, people have differing views on what is or isn't acceptable and rightly or wrongly people are also naturally inclined to stand by their mates.

I do think that normal people would not be reacting in the way they have, had there not been a degree of escalation though and I'm not sure you can get away from the contribution that the Oystons have made to the situation reaching this point, the two things go hand in hand.

The more helpless / hopeless people are made to feel, the more they exhaust reasonable measures in the hope of a reasonable response, then the more irrational and extreme they tend to become. I'd probably say that I can understand why people have reacted in the way that they have, even if it is not the way I would choose to react myself.

Well there we may agree to differ BFC3 as standing by your mates isn't I think a justification, but do acknowledge and share people's frustrations.

But as always I think there is more that unites us all as Blackpool supporters than divides us and a new year is always an opportunity for a new start.

Let's hope 2015 is better than 2014 and I wish you well.
Karl Oyston Step Down - A Petition on 19:20 - Dec 31 with 2137 viewsTwelveAngryMen

Karl Oyston Step Down - A Petition on 18:33 - Dec 31 by terminallytangerine

Well there we may agree to differ BFC3 as standing by your mates isn't I think a justification, but do acknowledge and share people's frustrations.

But as always I think there is more that unites us all as Blackpool supporters than divides us and a new year is always an opportunity for a new start.

Let's hope 2015 is better than 2014 and I wish you well.

Some great posts on this thread
I think part of the problem here is that KO doesn't appreciate / recognise the unique status of a football club within its community To him it's an Oyston asset to do with as they wish No more no less He has no real comprehension of the passion fans have for their football club or the responsibilities BFCx3 refers to above

#footballfirst

Karl Oyston Step Down - A Petition on 19:35 - Dec 31 with 2129 viewsRusty2Stands

Karl Oyston Step Down - A Petition on 19:20 - Dec 31 by TwelveAngryMen

Some great posts on this thread
I think part of the problem here is that KO doesn't appreciate / recognise the unique status of a football club within its community To him it's an Oyston asset to do with as they wish No more no less He has no real comprehension of the passion fans have for their football club or the responsibilities BFCx3 refers to above

Very true TAM.
Anyway, end of debate for me tonight as off out for a few beers.
A Happy New Year to all my fellow Seasiders.
Let's hope it's a better one for our club. It couldn't get much worse could it?
And TAM well done for all the hard work you and all the guys at BST have done this year.
Without that, we wouldn't be seeing that tiny flicker of light at the end of a very long and very dark tunnel.
Happy New Year.
Karl Oyston Step Down - A Petition on 10:55 - Jan 1 with 1959 viewsbrassedoff

Karl Oyston Step Down - A Petition on 19:35 - Dec 31 by Rusty2Stands

Very true TAM.
Anyway, end of debate for me tonight as off out for a few beers.
A Happy New Year to all my fellow Seasiders.
Let's hope it's a better one for our club. It couldn't get much worse could it?
And TAM well done for all the hard work you and all the guys at BST have done this year.
Without that, we wouldn't be seeing that tiny flicker of light at the end of a very long and very dark tunnel.
Happy New Year.

Sadly TAM - BFC is a business to Karl just as his farm is. Slaughter a few cows and he can go and buy some more. He's never appreciated the word loyalty and is clearly one of these rich kids who thinks they're always right. Sadly 5,000, 10,000 or 50,000 signatures won't make a difference but it does keep the pressure on others to expose what is happening. This family are so dodgy that all it will take is for one experienced accountant or lawyer to delve in to their business - I get the feeling the Daily Mail have the bit between their teeth and I'd be looking to keep pressure on them.

Poll: Would you still play the Oriol's

Karl Oyston Step Down - A Petition on 18:34 - Jan 2 with 1675 viewsOrmerod89

Karl Oyston Step Down - A Petition on 10:55 - Jan 1 by brassedoff

Sadly TAM - BFC is a business to Karl just as his farm is. Slaughter a few cows and he can go and buy some more. He's never appreciated the word loyalty and is clearly one of these rich kids who thinks they're always right. Sadly 5,000, 10,000 or 50,000 signatures won't make a difference but it does keep the pressure on others to expose what is happening. This family are so dodgy that all it will take is for one experienced accountant or lawyer to delve in to their business - I get the feeling the Daily Mail have the bit between their teeth and I'd be looking to keep pressure on them.

Good letter sent to OO ...

The Blackpool Supporters Trust has written to club owner Owen Oyston calling for his son, Karl, to be replaced as chairman.

The letter follows on from the fan group’s online petition appealing for Karl Oyston to step down. The petition has attracted around 6,000 signatures since its launch on Christmas Eve.

Many supporters are calling for change, with Pool bottom of the Championship in a season also mired by off-field controversies. Karl Oyston could face disciplinary action over his abusive text row with a supporter following the 6-1 home defeat by Bournemouth.

Part of it reads: “Blackpool FC, under the stewardship of your son, Karl, has been on an unacceptable downward spiral for too long.

“There is a consensus among fans that there has been both a lack of ambition, a lack of strategic direction and insufficient investment in the club, its facilities, its coaching and scouting set-ups, and the team itself over several campaigns. We have seen a totally predictable decline in the quality of the football during that time.”

BST was the product of the Seasiders Independent Supporters Association, which was formed last year by disgruntled fans. Now with more than 1,500 members, BST feel it’s time the Oystons started talking to them.

The letter adds: “Given the deep dissatisfaction that exists among Blackpool fans — for which you must surely feel some sympathy, being a self-professed lifelong BFC fan yourself — we would like to request that you meet with a delegation from Blackpool Supporters’ Trust (by some distance the largest supporters’ organisation at the club) to explore ways in which the current dire predicament can be resolved.”

Here’s the letter in full.

Dear Owen Oyston,

We are writing to you, the majority shareholder in Blackpool FC, on behalf of the 1,200 members of Blackpool Supporters’ Trust - although we are confident that our views are shared by the vast majority of Blackpool supporters.

We are of the collective opinion that this football club, under the stewardship of your son Karl, has been on an unacceptable downward spiral for too long.

There is a consensus among fans that that there has been both a lack of ambition, a lack of strategic direction and insufficient investment in the club, its facilities, its coaching and scouting set-ups and the team itself over several campaigns.

We have seen a totally predictable decline in the quality of the football during that time.

The fact that it has happened against a backdrop of substantial parachute funds being made available from the Premier League since our relegation from the top tier makes the current predicament a difficult one to understand.

Statements to the effect that we are the “envy of the Football League” ring very hollow to supporters of a team cut adrift at the bottom of the Championship and with only four league wins in the whole of 2014.

We were asked to wait to judge Karl Oyston’s handling of the club until the end of the season, but everybody recognises that they’ve seen enough to be able to make that judgement now.

Whether the decline has been deliberately orchestrated or is merely a consequence of incompetence, the verdict is the same — this is no way to run a football club! A bargain basement business ethic will simply deliver Blackpool FC back to the basement of the Football League, from which it took us thirty years to emerge.

The latest unfortunate text exchanges between your son and various Blackpool supporters has only served to make matters worse. We don’t wish to prejudice any FA or Football League investigations into that impropriety, but you should be aware that over 6,000 Blackpool fans have signed a petition requesting that you stand Karl Oyston down from his position with immediate effect, as a first step to addressing this crisis.

Given the deep dissatisfaction that exists among Blackpool fans - for which you must surely feel some sympathy, being a self-professed lifelong BFC fan yourself - we would like to request that you meet with a delegation from Blackpool Supporters’ Trust (by some distance the largest supporters’ organisation at the club) to explore ways in which the current dire predicament can be resolved.

Options for discussion could include: bringing in a Director of Football to properly oversee the management of the club, agreeing to sell Blackpool FC to new owners who have demonstrated an aptitude for investing in and running a Football League club, bequeathing Bloomfield Road to the Supporters’ Trust, formally constituting supporters’ representation on the board of the club.

These are not mutually exclusive ideas.

A significant change is required in 2015 if Blackpool FC is to be rescued from ignominious decline. Blackpool Supporters’ Trust is dedicated to restoring faith in the club and its future, for the benefit of the fans, the town and the wider community of Blackpool and the Fylde and we would like you to state publicly that you have the same intent.

Yours faithfully,

The Committee,

on behalf of Blackpool Supporters’ Trust

Poll: Who is going to win the Championship?

Karl Oyston Step Down - A Petition on 20:06 - Jan 2 with 1662 viewsterminallytangerine

Karl Oyston Step Down - A Petition on 18:34 - Jan 2 by Ormerod89

Good letter sent to OO ...

The Blackpool Supporters Trust has written to club owner Owen Oyston calling for his son, Karl, to be replaced as chairman.

The letter follows on from the fan group’s online petition appealing for Karl Oyston to step down. The petition has attracted around 6,000 signatures since its launch on Christmas Eve.

Many supporters are calling for change, with Pool bottom of the Championship in a season also mired by off-field controversies. Karl Oyston could face disciplinary action over his abusive text row with a supporter following the 6-1 home defeat by Bournemouth.

Part of it reads: “Blackpool FC, under the stewardship of your son, Karl, has been on an unacceptable downward spiral for too long.

“There is a consensus among fans that there has been both a lack of ambition, a lack of strategic direction and insufficient investment in the club, its facilities, its coaching and scouting set-ups, and the team itself over several campaigns. We have seen a totally predictable decline in the quality of the football during that time.”

BST was the product of the Seasiders Independent Supporters Association, which was formed last year by disgruntled fans. Now with more than 1,500 members, BST feel it’s time the Oystons started talking to them.

The letter adds: “Given the deep dissatisfaction that exists among Blackpool fans — for which you must surely feel some sympathy, being a self-professed lifelong BFC fan yourself — we would like to request that you meet with a delegation from Blackpool Supporters’ Trust (by some distance the largest supporters’ organisation at the club) to explore ways in which the current dire predicament can be resolved.”

Here’s the letter in full.

Dear Owen Oyston,

We are writing to you, the majority shareholder in Blackpool FC, on behalf of the 1,200 members of Blackpool Supporters’ Trust - although we are confident that our views are shared by the vast majority of Blackpool supporters.

We are of the collective opinion that this football club, under the stewardship of your son Karl, has been on an unacceptable downward spiral for too long.

There is a consensus among fans that that there has been both a lack of ambition, a lack of strategic direction and insufficient investment in the club, its facilities, its coaching and scouting set-ups and the team itself over several campaigns.

We have seen a totally predictable decline in the quality of the football during that time.

The fact that it has happened against a backdrop of substantial parachute funds being made available from the Premier League since our relegation from the top tier makes the current predicament a difficult one to understand.

Statements to the effect that we are the “envy of the Football League” ring very hollow to supporters of a team cut adrift at the bottom of the Championship and with only four league wins in the whole of 2014.

We were asked to wait to judge Karl Oyston’s handling of the club until the end of the season, but everybody recognises that they’ve seen enough to be able to make that judgement now.

Whether the decline has been deliberately orchestrated or is merely a consequence of incompetence, the verdict is the same — this is no way to run a football club! A bargain basement business ethic will simply deliver Blackpool FC back to the basement of the Football League, from which it took us thirty years to emerge.

The latest unfortunate text exchanges between your son and various Blackpool supporters has only served to make matters worse. We don’t wish to prejudice any FA or Football League investigations into that impropriety, but you should be aware that over 6,000 Blackpool fans have signed a petition requesting that you stand Karl Oyston down from his position with immediate effect, as a first step to addressing this crisis.

Given the deep dissatisfaction that exists among Blackpool fans - for which you must surely feel some sympathy, being a self-professed lifelong BFC fan yourself - we would like to request that you meet with a delegation from Blackpool Supporters’ Trust (by some distance the largest supporters’ organisation at the club) to explore ways in which the current dire predicament can be resolved.

Options for discussion could include: bringing in a Director of Football to properly oversee the management of the club, agreeing to sell Blackpool FC to new owners who have demonstrated an aptitude for investing in and running a Football League club, bequeathing Bloomfield Road to the Supporters’ Trust, formally constituting supporters’ representation on the board of the club.

These are not mutually exclusive ideas.

A significant change is required in 2015 if Blackpool FC is to be rescued from ignominious decline. Blackpool Supporters’ Trust is dedicated to restoring faith in the club and its future, for the benefit of the fans, the town and the wider community of Blackpool and the Fylde and we would like you to state publicly that you have the same intent.

Yours faithfully,

The Committee,

on behalf of Blackpool Supporters’ Trust

It is always good to talk in an effort to effect change.
Karl Oyston Step Down - A Petition on 20:45 - Jan 2 with 1659 viewsWizaard

Karl Oyston Step Down - A Petition on 20:06 - Jan 2 by terminallytangerine

It is always good to talk in an effort to effect change.

Good to see BST maintaining their dignity and attempting dialogue. Something I've called for all along.
Karl Oyston Step Down - A Petition on 11:17 - Jan 3 with 1639 viewsTwoPhillips

Karl Oyston Step Down - A Petition on 20:45 - Jan 2 by Wizaard

Good to see BST maintaining their dignity and attempting dialogue. Something I've called for all along.

Great letter but have always hated Director of Football posts! They rarely work, undermine the job of a manager and are a waste. A good Chairman should be able to fulfil both roles - sadly we have one that does neither.

On another point does OO still attend games?

Poll: That final Premier League Relegation Place

Karl Oyston Step Down - A Petition on 11:25 - Jan 3 with 1633 viewsRusty2Stands

Karl Oyston Step Down - A Petition on 20:45 - Jan 2 by Wizaard

Agree Wiz. BST must be seen to keep the morale high ground, when all around, including our dear chairman, are losing their morales. That's if he had any morales in the first place.
The last thing BST need is for KO to be able to point the finger at them for lowering the tone.
However, how long do you give a plea for dialogue a chance? All the so called dialogue between KO and BSA hasn't changed a thing. If anything KO is even more entrenched in his ridiculous thinking than ever.
There's only so long you can bang your head against a brick wall.
Karl Oyston Step Down - A Petition on 11:51 - Jan 3 with 1635 viewsterminallytangerine

Karl Oyston Step Down - A Petition on 11:25 - Jan 3 by Rusty2Stands

Agree Wiz. BST must be seen to keep the morale high ground, when all around, including our dear chairman, are losing their morales. That's if he had any morales in the first place.
The last thing BST need is for KO to be able to point the finger at them for lowering the tone.
However, how long do you give a plea for dialogue a chance? All the so called dialogue between KO and BSA hasn't changed a thing. If anything KO is even more entrenched in his ridiculous thinking than ever.
There's only so long you can bang your head against a brick wall.

Is he more entrenched because of the campaign of vilification or because of dialogue (which in the past has achieved some things without the major changes we would all like to see: season tickets, coaches to Wigan for all, Riga, for example.)?

Some prefer the anarchy and law of the jungle we witnessed at Sheffield.

I therefore wish BST every success in this approach.
Karl Oyston Step Down - A Petition on 14:55 - Jan 3 with 1610 viewsphil007tangerine

Karl Oyston Step Down - A Petition on 11:51 - Jan 3 by terminallytangerine

Is he more entrenched because of the campaign of vilification or because of dialogue (which in the past has achieved some things without the major changes we would all like to see: season tickets, coaches to Wigan for all, Riga, for example.)?

Trust TT to blame the fans for Karl's behaviour!

There is a world of difference between giving someone 'A' chance to fix a situation and endlessly going back for more whilst constantly being ignored and used like a sop like BSA is.

Problem with you TT you have no courage of your convictions, BST regularly polls its members as to courses of action whilst BSA refuses to hold an open poll on a core issue -Independence.

As such when harp on about law and fascists (as you have on other posts) you just come across as a complete hypocrite, with ZERO credibility.
Karl Oyston Step Down - A Petition on 15:16 - Jan 3 with 1603 viewsRusty2Stands

Karl Oyston Step Down - A Petition on 11:51 - Jan 3 by terminallytangerine

Is he more entrenched because of the campaign of vilification

No he's more entrenched because he hates football, hates the fans and to top it all he's a complete and utter tvvat. An arrogant, disgusting, vile human being.
I agree that BST should continue to try and open up dialogue, but I fear that approach ain't gonna work. but you can only carry on banging your head against a brick wall for so long.
I honestly thing the only thing that will work is Belekon coming in all guns blazing, takes them to court, and finishes the Oystons off. Let's hope so.
That's my opinion. And it's an opinion based on a mass of historical evidence.
Nothing so far has convinced KO to change his ways.
Cue TT with some lame post saying my post is an example of why KO hates the fans.
Karl Oyston Step Down - A Petition on 17:29 - Jan 3 with 1596 viewsterminallytangerine

Karl Oyston Step Down - A Petition on 15:16 - Jan 3 by Rusty2Stands

Is he more entrenched because of the campaign of vilification

No he's more entrenched because he hates football, hates the fans and to top it all he's a complete and utter tvvat. An arrogant, disgusting, vile human being.
I agree that BST should continue to try and open up dialogue, but I fear that approach ain't gonna work. but you can only carry on banging your head against a brick wall for so long.
I honestly thing the only thing that will work is Belekon coming in all guns blazing, takes them to court, and finishes the Oystons off. Let's hope so.
That's my opinion. And it's an opinion based on a mass of historical evidence.
Nothing so far has convinced KO to change his ways.
Cue TT with some lame post saying my post is an example of why KO hates the fans.

I think I would be more inclined to have a conversation with you Phil if you didn’t shout all the time and press for the peanut every time I post (or was it because you don’t wish BST success in their approach?).

Reading between the lines it would appear that you aren’t that keen on BSA’s approach over the years, or BSA for that matter. Unfortunately you don’t seem to believe that other people should be allowed to have a different opinion.

When this is coupled with the active use of intimidation of other supporters, by, for example, chanting that they are Oyston rentboys because they — men, women and children — have just turned up to watch a football match, irrespective of their allegiance to any supporters' organization then I think the term fascist is a pretty apt description.

And if I didn’t have the courage of my convictions I would happily sit back and blame all that on the Oystons, along with global warming and the hole in the ozone layer. The owners certainly have a lot to answer for in the way they have managed the club since the premiership, but the ‘fans’ who turn on supporters - and those who are unwilling to point out the undemocratic nature of their actions -aren't blameless either.

I’m sure BSA will be able to make its own mind up about the best course of action without attempts at intimidation from anyone outside the organization, thanks. My own view is that changing the nature of the organization would be to deny supporters the choice which already exists, and that an organisation committed to dialogue and to staying with the football club through thick and thin, whoever the owners and whatever the fate of our football club, is an option many will want to choose. If that lacks credibility in your view then so be it.

Given the courage of my convictions and my belief that BSA is not a sop and never has been, I’m sure you won’t be surprised that I don’t usually respond to your rants. Try turning down the volume if you want to discuss an issue.

You could learn a lot from Rusty who seems much more reasonable who only seems to aiming his hatred at the Oystons — though he does try to put words in my mouth.
“Cue TT with some lame post saying my post is an example of why KO hates the fans.” Eh?
I'm quite capable of composing my own lame posts without your help Mr Stands.

I was merely asking the question about the effectiveness of the campaign of vilification vis a vis a campaign aimed at engaging the owners in dialogue? Had this been the approach adopted a year ago might we have seen more progress?

Of course we would all like the Narnia solution of Aslan romping over the Russian steppes to rescue us, but in the meantime is the cauldron of hatred where some ‘supporters’ attempt to intimidate women, children and non-politicos, and where 14 (?) year olds are encouraged to chant for the death of an 82 year old, either effective or a price worth paying? Or is that also something which is destroying our club?

Some would say it is.

Arguably dialogue is more difficult in a context of mutual hatred, but history teaches us that it is the only way to challenge entrenched attitudes and resolve conflict, which I believe most Blackpool supporters want. Only then can we begin rebuilding the club, either with the current owners or with new investors.

Organisations committed to dialogue are therefore worth supporting IMHO.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024