Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
disabling tv input 20:51 - Apr 21 with 2249 viewscentrestandswan

is it possible to turn a tv into a cctv monitor by disabling the tv input. Would like to use tv only as monitor, hence no licence fee to pay .Cheers in advance.

Poll: Will we be relegated ?

disabling tv input on 20:57 - Apr 21 with 2236 viewsstevethejack

Any type of TV whether the tuner is disabled or not is classed as licence fee payable.

Best bet is a computer monitor as it has never had a TV tuner in it, therefore no licence fee to pay.

Have one for sale if you want to PM me.
disabling tv input on 22:32 - Apr 21 with 2174 viewsjunior_jack

You are not required to disable anything. You only need a TV licence if you watch or record live television.

Source: http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one
disabling tv input on 22:43 - Apr 21 with 2170 viewsblueytheblue

disabling tv input on 22:32 - Apr 21 by junior_jack

You are not required to disable anything. You only need a TV licence if you watch or record live television.

"This includes the use of devices such as a computer, laptop, mobile phone or DVD/video recorder."

So if streaming any live TV through his computer then yes he is liable to pay the horrendously punitive tax to fund pinko commies at the BBC.

Poll: Alternate POTY final

disabling tv input on 22:44 - Apr 21 with 2170 viewsJack_Meoff

disabling tv input on 22:32 - Apr 21 by junior_jack

is the correct answer. They will send letters and knock on your door but you're under no obligation to speak to them if you did answer. Simply close the door on them.

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

disabling tv input on 00:25 - Apr 22 with 2133 viewsClydachjack

You can use tv catch-up website to watch TV, it's about one or two minutes behind live broadcast so no licence.
disabling tv input on 08:29 - Apr 22 with 2075 viewsblueytheblue

disabling tv input on 00:25 - Apr 22 by Clydachjack

You can use tv catch-up website to watch TV, it's about one or two minutes behind live broadcast so no licence.

Not quite.

Do I need a TV Licence if I only ever watch on demand services (e.g. catch-up TV), DVDs or downloaded programmes?

No you don’t. As you’re not watching or recording live TV, you don’t need a licence.

‘Live TV’ means any programme you watch or record at the same time as it’s being shown on TV or an online TV service.

If you only ever watch ‘on demand’ programmes, you don’t need a TV Licence. On demand includes catch-up TV, streaming or downloading programmes after they’ve been shown on live TV, or programmes available online before being shown on TV.

Do I need a TV Licence if I watch a programme on a delay?

Yes you do. If the programme is being shown on live TV, you need a TV Licence to watch or record it. If the device or technology you’re using to watch the programme causes a delay between when the programme was shown and when you watch it, you’re still receiving live TV.

‘Live TV’ means any programme you watch or record at the same time as it’s being shown on TV or an online TV service.

If you only ever watch ‘on demand’ programmes, you don’t need a TV Licence. On demand includes catch-up TV, streaming or downloading programmes after they’ve been shown on live TV, or programmes available online before being shown on TV.

=============

I'm quite interested in how they necessarily know what you're watching given the detector vans have been exposed as a myth.

A mate has no TV, has no licence. He's had knocks on the door, lettters etc for years. It's almost as if they've cross references people from the electoral register against their own database of addresses/names of people with licences.

Regardless, it's utter garbage. BBC want to make money on a commercial basis yet receive a subsidy. Jog on kitty.

disabling tv input on 10:01 - Apr 22 with 2048 viewscentrestandswan

Thanks for all the replies , very interesting info'

Poll: Will we be relegated ?

disabling tv input on 10:36 - Apr 22 with 2035 viewsJack_Meoff

disabling tv input on 08:29 - Apr 22 by blueytheblue

Not quite.

Do I need a TV Licence if I only ever watch on demand services (e.g. catch-up TV), DVDs or downloaded programmes?

No you don’t. As you’re not watching or recording live TV, you don’t need a licence.

Do I need a TV Licence if I watch a programme on a delay?

Yes you do. If the programme is being shown on live TV, you need a TV Licence to watch or record it. If the device or technology you’re using to watch the programme causes a delay between when the programme was shown and when you watch it, you’re still receiving live TV.

=============

I'm quite interested in how they necessarily know what you're watching given the detector vans have been exposed as a myth.

A mate has no TV, has no licence. He's had knocks on the door, lettters etc for years. It's almost as if they've cross references people from the electoral register against their own database of addresses/names of people with licences.

Regardless, it's utter garbage. BBC want to make money on a commercial basis yet receive a subsidy. Jog on kitty.

They don't know what you're watching. Those vans were a myth to instil fear. The vast majority of people who get 'done' sign the TV goon's TVL178 form, basically self incrimination because they think these people have some sort of power over other salesmen. They don't.

If you previously had a licence they normally send letters to the last name licenced at an address. After six months these will revert to 'The Legal Occupier.' I've not had a licence for about 18 months, haven't had a letter as yet and one visit.

They send letters automatically on a monthly basis to every unlicenced household on their database.

@ OP, If you are thinking of cancelling, I'd recommend ringing TVL and telling them you're emigrating. You don't have to give them any more detail than that. If you cancel a direct debit before officially cancelling, depending on circumstance they've been known to sell on any moneys they think they're owed to a DCA.

The BBC also outsources TVL collection to Capita, so their scum behaviour isn't linked directly to them.

@bluey couldn't agree more with your last paragraph - what a racket, jog on indeed.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2015 10:41]

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

Login to get fewer ads

disabling tv input on 11:54 - Apr 22 with 2008 viewsBLAZE

I don't have a TV Licence as I don't watch live TV, only catch up. When I moved in I received a letter addressed to 'The Legal Occupier' requesting that I purchase a TV licence and I called them, explained that I don't watch live television and they sent me out an exemption letter as confirmation. I thought it may have put me on a 'hit list' for them to come checking, but so far after a year there's been no visits to my knowledge
disabling tv input on 12:08 - Apr 22 with 1994 viewsblueytheblue

Indeed, hence the language on their website is utter bs. It's worded in such a way as to put everyone watching anything in need of a licence.

An oranisation that set up BBC Worldwide to make money for itself also wants a public subsidy via the bogus tax, leading to many being imprisoned each year for what is a civil matter.

disabling tv input on 12:53 - Apr 22 with 1967 viewsTom1912

disabling tv input on 12:08 - Apr 22 by blueytheblue

Indeed, hence the language on their website is utter bs. It's worded in such a way as to put everyone watching anything in need of a licence.

An oranisation that set up BBC Worldwide to make money for itself also wants a public subsidy via the bogus tax, leading to many being imprisoned each year for what is a civil matter.

I understand why people don't like the idea of the BBC in principle, but I don't think there's anything wrong with them earning money through BBC Worldwide if it allows them to re-invest even more in the services they provide.
disabling tv input on 14:33 - Apr 22 with 1937 viewsblueytheblue

disabling tv input on 12:53 - Apr 22 by Tom1912

I understand why people don't like the idea of the BBC in principle, but I don't think there's anything wrong with them earning money through BBC Worldwide if it allows them to re-invest even more in the services they provide.

There is when they make revenue from BBC worldwide yet want an increase in the licence fee.

disabling tv input on 17:34 - Apr 22 with 1917 viewsTom1912

disabling tv input on 14:33 - Apr 22 by blueytheblue

There is when they make revenue from BBC worldwide yet want an increase in the licence fee.

Not really. They are seperate issues. BBC Worldwide makes profits of around £100m to £200m odd whereas the BBC get revenue from the license fee at around the £3,500m mark annually. It's small fry in comparison and not going to make a huge difference to the 25m odd license fee payers.

Plus the license fee has been decreasing in price in relative terms for awhile now anyway.
disabling tv input on 18:23 - Apr 22 with 1907 viewsexiledclaseboy

I'd genuinely happily pay double the licence fee because frankly it'd still be superb value and would really piss Bluey off. A cardiffian Tory. There should be some kind of register for that.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2015 18:39]

Poll: Tory leader

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024