Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One For The Oldies - Goalkeepers since 1974 21:36 - May 12 with 4778 viewsbonymine

In recognition of Fabianski's MOM performance against Arsenal and likely 'Player of the Year' award in my eyes I thought I'd set a little teaser about how many keepers we can collectively name (on loan or permanent) since 1974 when I saw my first Swans game. Here goes :

Steve Potter
Niko Schroeder
Keith Barber
Geoff Crudgington
Dave Stewart
Dai Davies
Jimmy Rimmer
Mike Hughes
Chris Sander (where did that come from?)
Roger Freestone
Peter Guthrie
Neil Cutler
Michel Vorm
Gerhard Tremmell
Lukas Fabiansaki

Not sure about these ;

Mark Kendall
?????????????

Poll: Why is this site so quiet these days ?

One For The Oldies - Goalkeepers since 1974 on 08:57 - May 13 with 1875 viewsmagicdaps10

Rhys Wilmott
Andy Oakes
Brian Murphy

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

One For The Oldies - Goalkeepers since 1974 on 09:03 - May 13 with 1865 viewsDarran

The one Cusack signed from Morriston Hospital Porters FC,Andrew summin.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

One For The Oldies - Goalkeepers since 1974 on 09:22 - May 13 with 1830 viewsDewi1jack

One For The Oldies - Goalkeepers since 1974 on 21:58 - May 12 by Starsky

And our current East European keeper... Who's name escapes me.

And Heeps

Zabret or Zabaret (or some other spelling. Know it begins with a "Z" and not the 4th line down on an eyesight chart!)

Dai Cornell

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

One For The Oldies - Goalkeepers since 1974 on 09:28 - May 13 with 1817 viewsmatthewkai

Carl mounty
One For The Oldies - Goalkeepers since 1974 on 09:57 - May 13 with 1793 viewssherpajacob

Imho
The top 5
1. Roger
2. Fab
3. Vorm
4. Rhys Wilmot
5. Doris or crudginton

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

One For The Oldies - Goalkeepers since 1974 on 10:21 - May 13 with 1766 viewsBorojack

One For The Oldies - Goalkeepers since 1974 on 09:57 - May 13 by sherpajacob

Imho
The top 5
1. Roger
2. Fab
3. Vorm
4. Rhys Wilmot
5. Doris or crudginton

Fab
Roger
Vorm
Stewart
Wilmot

Stewart was a quality keeper far better than Dai Davies

Poll: Should Huw Jenkins be sacked

One For The Oldies - Goalkeepers since 1974 on 10:34 - May 13 with 1750 viewsmagicdaps10

One For The Oldies - Goalkeepers since 1974 on 23:51 - May 12 by AndyNak

There was a youth team keeper under Rog that played a few games and I can't for the life of me remember his name - would have been around 90-91.

Remember Jimmy Rimmer telling us the lad was a definite future England International... think he went to the Conference in the end.

Anyone remember?

The guy was James Heeps, i think he even played for England youth.

Only played one game, against Chesterfield i think.

One For The Oldies - Goalkeepers since 1974 on 10:42 - May 13 with 1744 viewsmagicdaps10

One For The Oldies - Goalkeepers since 1974 on 09:03 - May 13 by Darran

The one Cusack signed from Morriston Hospital Porters FC,Andrew summin.

Andrew Marsh.

He was let go by Liverpool as a kid because he was shite, persuaded the club somehow that he left them because he was homesick and Cusack was happy to offer him a contract to be back up to Rog.

When Cusack left, this was one of the things that was brought up with a lot of passion by certain directors who are still with the club today.

Login to get fewer ads

One For The Oldies - Goalkeepers since 1974 on 10:43 - May 13 with 1744 viewsDewi1jack

One For The Oldies - Goalkeepers since 1974 on 22:19 - May 12 by Starsky

Rubbish... Good thread!
Kept me busy

This.
Amazing how many names are coming back to me.

And how many I'd forgotten

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

One For The Oldies - Goalkeepers since 1974 on 10:47 - May 13 with 1740 viewsDarran

One For The Oldies - Goalkeepers since 1974 on 10:42 - May 13 by magicdaps10

Andrew Marsh.

He was let go by Liverpool as a kid because he was shite, persuaded the club somehow that he left them because he was homesick and Cusack was happy to offer him a contract to be back up to Rog.

When Cusack left, this was one of the things that was brought up with a lot of passion by certain directors who are still with the club today.

That's him.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

One For The Oldies - Goalkeepers since 1974 on 10:48 - May 13 with 1737 viewsStarsky

Best keeper? Anyone putting Roger ahead of Fabianski is like putting Trundle ahead of Michu.

Favourite keeper? Different kettle of fish.

It's just the internet, init.

One For The Oldies - Goalkeepers since 1974 on 11:04 - May 13 with 1720 viewsDewi1jack

One For The Oldies - Goalkeepers since 1974 on 10:48 - May 13 by Starsky

Best keeper? Anyone putting Roger ahead of Fabianski is like putting Trundle ahead of Michu.

Favourite keeper? Different kettle of fish.

Got to agree.
Dropper IMHO is a club legend. Fair play to Rog, he could have been playing at a far higher level than us. Glad he didn't!
Jimmy Rimmer was pretty good as well, considering he was coming to the end of his career.
But the best GK in my humble opinion, is Lukasz by a country mile.
One of the players we really need to hang onto for as long as possible.
A good gk is worth his weight in gold. Every clean sheet is at least 1 point and fills a defence with confidence as well as take a little pressure off them, knowing if they make a mistake, there's a good chance the keeper'll get them out of trouble.

One For The Oldies - Goalkeepers since 1974 on 11:42 - May 13 with 1699 viewsStarsky

One For The Oldies - Goalkeepers since 1974 on 11:04 - May 13 by Dewi1jack

Got to agree.
Dropper IMHO is a club legend. Fair play to Rog, he could have been playing at a far higher level than us. Glad he didn't!
Jimmy Rimmer was pretty good as well, considering he was coming to the end of his career.
But the best GK in my humble opinion, is Lukasz by a country mile.
One of the players we really need to hang onto for as long as possible.
A good gk is worth his weight in gold. Every clean sheet is at least 1 point and fills a defence with confidence as well as take a little pressure off them, knowing if they make a mistake, there's a good chance the keeper'll get them out of trouble.

If I remember correctly Dewi... We had Jimmy Rimmer on loan 10 years earlier 1973. He was amazing. Then we signed him for £40,000 in 1983. Still amazing.

It's just the internet, init.

One For The Oldies - Goalkeepers since 1974 on 11:44 - May 13 with 1699 viewsAndyNak

One For The Oldies - Goalkeepers since 1974 on 03:34 - May 13 by TheArtChappy

Ben miles??

Ben Miles!! That was the lad... That was bugging me for hours last night, cheers Chappy!

Thinking about it, it wasn't Jimmy Rimmer that said it, it was Bobby Smith. I was a ballboy and he came over to us while Ben was pinging in crosses and warming up Rog. I think that was the point we all got his autograph.

Loads of amazing memories from being a ballboy. Remember getting Hartsons autograph when he was still at Luton cos there were rumours he was going to Arsenal... Des Lyttle screaming at me cos I was too slow getting the ball back to him... Trying 3 times to throw the ball back to Rog in front of the East Stand and each time it hitting the net and rolling back down so I had to walk round the side of the goal like a plumb and hand it back to him... My fave was Frankie Burrows giving me his flat cap last game of the season though.

Great memories

Poll: Joe or Wilf? If you could only have one

One For The Oldies - Goalkeepers since 1974 on 12:05 - May 13 with 1692 viewsCurcubita_Ultra

One For The Oldies - Goalkeepers since 1974 on 10:47 - May 13 by Darran

That's him.

On the first Dutch Tour, we were in a late night bar on the last night, that wasn't letting in football fans or players in.

Roger,and a few of the others got turned away and went elsewhere, but we persisted and sweettalked them round on the condition we behaved...

Soon after this Marsh and Keaveney turned up obvioulsy bo//oxed already but I went to the doormen and said they were with us - telling them that we have to be fairly quiet and they've already turned a fair few away...

Ok they said, no problem and got some drinks, no sooner has they returned than they jumped up on the chairs, beers in hand and started singing the Swansea City Song...

I've never seen two lads get lifted and chucked out the door in a matter of seconds. Daft sods!

Maybe not top players but a right pair of scamps... :)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024