Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
what has NASA discovered on Mars? 21:19 - Sep 27 with 12394 viewsswansRus

News conference tomorrow

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/mars-mystery-solved-nasa-prompts-specu
what has NASA discovered on Mars? on 13:34 - Sep 28 with 2559 viewsJackSomething

what has NASA discovered on Mars? on 13:12 - Sep 28 by perchrockjack

well, yes.

Man isn't exactly very good at looking after what he has.

Anyway, we ve had this "debate" before, although those space doubters were once again subjected to the puerile humpy cant that ruins it all.

In a nutshell, we ve much to do on planet earth and first and foremost stop screwing up and destroying what we have.

Obvious to me and others in the real world

Any reason we can't work on both?

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

what has NASA discovered on Mars? on 13:48 - Sep 28 with 2551 viewsPegojack

what has NASA discovered on Mars? on 13:12 - Sep 28 by perchrockjack

well, yes.

Man isn't exactly very good at looking after what he has.

Anyway, we ve had this "debate" before, although those space doubters were once again subjected to the puerile humpy cant that ruins it all.

In a nutshell, we ve much to do on planet earth and first and foremost stop screwing up and destroying what we have.

Obvious to me and others in the real world

I've never understood this arguement. Stop space exploration because we can use the money better on earth.

If you want to stop things because the money can be used better elsewhere, why don't we start with nuclear weapons, including Trident?
what has NASA discovered on Mars? on 13:58 - Sep 28 with 2542 viewsBrynmill_Jack

what has NASA discovered on Mars? on 21:29 - Sep 27 by Darran

Personally I couldn't care less what it is because it's not going to help the people of earth.

A complete and utter waste of f*cking money that could be used to help humanity the same as the moon landings and without doubt the biggest waste of money ever the Hadron Collider.

Add it all up and think what it could do for the world,this f*cking world.

I bet you secretly love the large hardon collider don't you.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

what has NASA discovered on Mars? on 14:00 - Sep 28 with 2534 viewsDarran

what has NASA discovered on Mars? on 13:48 - Sep 28 by Pegojack

I've never understood this arguement. Stop space exploration because we can use the money better on earth.

If you want to stop things because the money can be used better elsewhere, why don't we start with nuclear weapons, including Trident?

We need that incase the Martians attack us mun.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

what has NASA discovered on Mars? on 14:40 - Sep 28 with 2498 viewsPegojack

what has NASA discovered on Mars? on 14:00 - Sep 28 by Darran

We need that incase the Martians attack us mun.

I never thought of that.

Anyway, I think they've discovered the European Beagle 2 explorer. It isn't smashed up, but the Martians wouldn't let it drive because it's fitted with a VW diesel engine.
what has NASA discovered on Mars? on 17:26 - Sep 28 with 2433 viewslondonlisa2001

The delicious irony of today's announcement by NASA is that the people made to look incredibly stupid now (the 'Tea Party' type fundamentalist Christians and their equivalent in other religions) will be too stupid to realise exactly what the implications of the finding are and why it makes them look so ridiculous.
what has NASA discovered on Mars? on 18:07 - Sep 28 with 2412 viewsGowerjack

what has NASA discovered on Mars? on 17:26 - Sep 28 by londonlisa2001

The delicious irony of today's announcement by NASA is that the people made to look incredibly stupid now (the 'Tea Party' type fundamentalist Christians and their equivalent in other religions) will be too stupid to realise exactly what the implications of the finding are and why it makes them look so ridiculous.

Exactly Lisa

And a few on this thread who should know better.

At our current level of understanding water is essential for any form of life so to find evidence of it's existence on the nearest planet in an infinate universe is pretty damn significant in my opinion.

Just consider the potential effect on our religious fanatics for example.

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

what has NASA discovered on Mars? on 18:14 - Sep 28 with 2407 viewsdgt73

what has NASA discovered on Mars? on 17:26 - Sep 28 by londonlisa2001

Doesn't change a thing

Poll: Have Swansea got some of the most negative w@nkers following them

Login to get fewer ads

what has NASA discovered on Mars? on 18:18 - Sep 28 with 2401 viewslondonlisa2001

what has NASA discovered on Mars? on 18:14 - Sep 28 by dgt73

Doesn't change a thing

Beautifully proving my point
what has NASA discovered on Mars? on 18:19 - Sep 28 with 2398 viewslondonlisa2001

what has NASA discovered on Mars? on 18:07 - Sep 28 by Gowerjack

Exactly Lisa

At our current level of understanding water is essential for any form of life so to find evidence of it's existence on the nearest planet in an infinate universe is pretty damn significant in my opinion.

It's an amazing discovery and yet people don't seem to appreciate why?
what has NASA discovered on Mars? on 18:19 - Sep 28 with 2398 viewsdgt73

what has NASA discovered on Mars? on 18:18 - Sep 28 by londonlisa2001

It doesn't prove anything

what has NASA discovered on Mars? on 18:27 - Sep 28 with 2390 viewsGowerjack

what has NASA discovered on Mars? on 18:18 - Sep 28 by londonlisa2001

Yep.

It's down to his ingrained stupidity coupled to an inability to think for himself.

Bless....

Plastic since 1974

what has NASA discovered on Mars? on 18:32 - Sep 28 with 2383 viewsdgt73

what has NASA discovered on Mars? on 18:27 - Sep 28 by Gowerjack

Yep.

It's down to his ingrained stupidity coupled to an inability to think for himself.

Bless....

Come back when they've found life, not a single building block to life. Talk about jumping the gun.

what has NASA discovered on Mars? on 18:41 - Sep 28 with 2372 viewsblueytheblue

what has NASA discovered on Mars? on 18:07 - Sep 28 by Gowerjack

Exactly Lisa

Well, it's our current level of understanding predicated upon life being like human life. I don't view it as being particularly significant. Odds of neighbouring planets having water in an infinite universe isn't that high.

Poll: Alternate POTY final

what has NASA discovered on Mars? on 19:20 - Sep 28 with 2338 viewsGowerjack

what has NASA discovered on Mars? on 18:41 - Sep 28 by blueytheblue

Well, it's our current level of understanding predicated upon life being like human life. I don't view it as being particularly significant. Odds of neighbouring planets having water in an infinite universe isn't that high.

Not just human life.

All life as we currently understand it.

Your other point is unquantifiable.

Plastic since 1974

what has NASA discovered on Mars? on 19:27 - Sep 28 with 2211 viewsblueytheblue

what has NASA discovered on Mars? on 19:20 - Sep 28 by Gowerjack

Not just human life.

All life as we currently understand it.

Your other point is unquantifiable.

As we currently understand it being the operative word.

May well be alien life not requiring water. No way of telling till that happens.

Unquantifiable, not quite. You'd have to reverse the point to claim in an infinite universe no two neighbouring planets could have water. Chances of that would be zero.

what has NASA discovered on Mars? on 19:38 - Sep 28 with 2197 viewslondonlisa2001

what has NASA discovered on Mars? on 18:41 - Sep 28 by blueytheblue

Any carbon based life. Anything that we would consider 'life'. That doesn't preclude other types of life of course. But not as we know it Jim :-)

And it's not odds of any neighbouring planets having water in an infinite universe, it's the odds of the one next to us also having water that should be considered surely.
what has NASA discovered on Mars? on 19:40 - Sep 28 with 2195 viewsEvenThisNameIsTaken

what has NASA discovered on Mars? on 18:32 - Sep 28 by dgt73

Come back when they've found life, not a single building block to life. Talk about jumping the gun.

Did you learn in school anything about EVOLUTION??

You know, the bit where we evolved from molecules that was found in the water on Earth?

Just saying - where there's water there's a good chance of life. Even if we were to just monitor the research the primordial lifeforms discovered in space - it may give us a huge wealth of knowledge and greater understanding on how we came to be.

Poll: Goal 2 - scored by who?

what has NASA discovered on Mars? on 19:43 - Sep 28 with 2190 viewsHighjack

what has NASA discovered on Mars? on 18:32 - Sep 28 by dgt73

They didn't announce they've found life, they announced they'd found liquid water. The important point that you're missing is they now know that life is possible there. Before this discovery it was impossible there. It's a rather giant leap in scientific terms but I wouldn't expect you to understand that anyway.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

what has NASA discovered on Mars? on 19:43 - Sep 28 with 2189 viewsdgt73

what has NASA discovered on Mars? on 19:40 - Sep 28 by EvenThisNameIsTaken

You know, the bit where we evolved from molecules that was found in the water on Earth?

Just saying - where there's water there's a good chance of life. Even if we were to just monitor the research the primordial lifeforms discovered in space - it may give us a huge wealth of knowledge and greater understanding on how we came to be.

Have they found life outside of this planet yes or no........it not a hard question.

what has NASA discovered on Mars? on 19:44 - Sep 28 with 2189 viewsblueytheblue

what has NASA discovered on Mars? on 19:38 - Sep 28 by londonlisa2001

Any carbon based life. Anything that we would consider 'life'. That doesn't preclude other types of life of course. But not as we know it Jim :-)

And it's not odds of any neighbouring planets having water in an infinite universe, it's the odds of the one next to us also having water that should be considered surely.

Yup, Lisa but those odds only matter in a finite universe - there's a boundary, a finite size.

When it's infinite those odds become effective binary - size becomes irrelevant as there's no boundary to the sample size. Two planets having water next to us either happens or it doesn't - meaning in a universe with no boundary no two neighbouring planets could have water or at least one pair of planets have water. Odds would very much be in favour of the latter scenario.

I'm happy to rest my argument. I'm happy to admit my stats / probability knowledge has declined over the year but only a maths geek could prove me wrong - and anyone reading would be asleep after the first sentence.

what has NASA discovered on Mars? on 19:47 - Sep 28 with 2187 viewsexiledclaseboy

what has NASA discovered on Mars? on 19:43 - Sep 28 by dgt73

Have they found life outside of this planet yes or no........it not a hard question.

Skaro. There was a documentary on BBC1 about it on Saturday.

Poll: Tory leader

what has NASA discovered on Mars? on 19:50 - Sep 28 with 2180 viewsGowerjack

what has NASA discovered on Mars? on 19:47 - Sep 28 by exiledclaseboy

Skaro. There was a documentary on BBC1 about it on Saturday.

Bit messy in the sewers wasn't it?

I almost felt sorry for them....

Plastic since 1974

what has NASA discovered on Mars? on 19:54 - Sep 28 with 2172 viewsexiledclaseboy

what has NASA discovered on Mars? on 19:50 - Sep 28 by Gowerjack

Bit messy in the sewers wasn't it?

I almost felt sorry for them....

It's not much of a retirement that's for sure.

Poll: Tory leader

what has NASA discovered on Mars? on 19:55 - Sep 28 with 2169 viewslondonlisa2001

what has NASA discovered on Mars? on 19:40 - Sep 28 by EvenThisNameIsTaken

You could have finished your sentence after the first 6 words to be honest.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024