Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swans Academy 13:34 - Dec 15 with 6400 viewsarnnie

My 12 year old nephew has been on trial with Swans academy and cardiff Academy for the last couple of weeks. Cardiff Academy seem to be light years ahead at his age group. Is this normal throughout the age groups?
Swans Academy on 17:34 - Dec 15 with 1617 viewsarnnie

Swans Academy on 14:18 - Dec 15 by blueytheblue

Why would you necessarily believe that?

Any academy producing a player a season capable of getting into first team squad is doing well. Academies don't produce a Ramsey year on year. All they can really do is increase the chances of a player to progress. Don't forget there are many kids who are treated like stars by parents, family, think they are berty big b*llocks at lower levels then bomb out because they don't have the mentality.

Equally, as Warnock pointed out, DVP / u23 games don't prepare good youths for the leap to first team games in the way the old reserve leagues did - where youngsters learnt playing with experienced pros.

Due to better facilities, better coaching, training 4 times per week, playing against top academy teams maybe? If that doesn't improve standards then what's the point in the investment? ?
Swans Academy on 17:41 - Dec 15 with 1609 viewsblueytheblue

Swans Academy on 17:34 - Dec 15 by arnnie

Due to better facilities, better coaching, training 4 times per week, playing against top academy teams maybe? If that doesn't improve standards then what's the point in the investment? ?

Will it improve standards of the academy, sure.

Will that mean the standard of player coming out of the academy will be better? no.

All you're doing is increasing the chances of talent really developing to their max potential. Doesn't mean they will - too many kids believe they've made it when they get to DVP level.

We had plenty of players who made it to our first team pre Academy status. Afterwards, not so much.

Poll: Alternate POTY final

Swans Academy on 17:57 - Dec 15 with 1588 viewsarnnie

Swans Academy on 17:41 - Dec 15 by blueytheblue

Will it improve standards of the academy, sure.

Will that mean the standard of player coming out of the academy will be better? no.

All you're doing is increasing the chances of talent really developing to their max potential. Doesn't mean they will - too many kids believe they've made it when they get to DVP level.

We had plenty of players who made it to our first team pre Academy status. Afterwards, not so much.

Are you/ have you been involved with Academy football?
Swans Academy on 18:11 - Dec 15 with 1577 viewsblueytheblue

Swans Academy on 17:57 - Dec 15 by arnnie

Are you/ have you been involved with Academy football?

Not at all, have seen a few of our games over the last few years.

We've accepted we're not producing players like Matthews, Gunter, Ledley et al ( leaving out Rambo because you can't expect that quality on a regular basis ). We've realised that needs to change, so are taking steps, ie appointing Bellamy.

The problem is, everything is Academy focused. Nobody has really focused on what's needed, ie transitioning players from youth level to first teamers.

Swans Academy on 18:21 - Dec 15 with 1566 viewsjasper_T

Swans Academy on 17:23 - Dec 15 by blueytheblue

I'd be surprised more of your u16s weren't being pushed up to u18s to be honest. We tend to do that all the time, have u18s in the DVP squad. Hell Sion Spence played and looked good for the u18s and he's only 15.

I'd disagree about your last point. Look at the size of academies like Man City, Chelsea. Can poach any promising youngsters, offer parents jobs, offer to buy a house, offer guaranteed pro contract. They then bomb out before the age of 21 due to being stuck at the back of a long queue.

There are periods in the season when this happens but with u21s becoming u23s there'll be less call for everyone shifting up, and we've invested quite a bit in the "reserves" age group.

A few of the best u18s appear with the u23s now and then (Aaron Lewis is a regular and I think still an u18, Tom Dyson makes the bench occasionally). Dan James was an u21 regular last season.

But there's a lot of competition at that level. The u23 squad is well-stocked and doing extremely well.
Swans Academy on 18:27 - Dec 15 with 1563 viewsblueytheblue

Swans Academy on 18:21 - Dec 15 by jasper_T

There are periods in the season when this happens but with u21s becoming u23s there'll be less call for everyone shifting up, and we've invested quite a bit in the "reserves" age group.

A few of the best u18s appear with the u23s now and then (Aaron Lewis is a regular and I think still an u18, Tom Dyson makes the bench occasionally). Dan James was an u21 regular last season.

But there's a lot of competition at that level. The u23 squad is well-stocked and doing extremely well.

The problem is, you get this years mob, say 2-3 u18s go into the u23/DVP squad. You've then got players with 3-5 years more experience ahead of them. As it clogs up at the higher age level, then you'll not be able to carry as many as you'd like to.

Players then stagnate.

We'd have expected a few of ours to really push on, aim towards the first team squad. Instead, a lot had regressed. Why? At the end of the day they are playing against other u23s.

Pre DVP days, you'd get youngsters playing in reserve games. Who else would play - fringe players, first teamers recovering from injury et al. Experienced players able to show those youngsters, boss them around on the pitch in live games. At the end of his stint with us, that's exactly what Steve McPhail was doing. Sharing his experience, teaching youngsters by actions during games.

That's why the current system is failing youngsters.

Swans Academy on 18:38 - Dec 15 with 1548 viewsglanmorjak

Swans Academy on 18:11 - Dec 15 by blueytheblue

Not at all, have seen a few of our games over the last few years.

We've accepted we're not producing players like Matthews, Gunter, Ledley et al ( leaving out Rambo because you can't expect that quality on a regular basis ). We've realised that needs to change, so are taking steps, ie appointing Bellamy.

The problem is, everything is Academy focused. Nobody has really focused on what's needed, ie transitioning players from youth level to first teamers.

bluey,

not knowing much about your academy, but does the football club possess the required facilities should you want to step up to academy 1 status.

Transitioning players from schoolboy, youth, thro' to the first team takes a lot of cash and a heck of a lot of luck and unfortunately is not guaranteed that even 1 player will establish themselves in the first team, especially a Premier League side. That is one problems the Swans are realising now. Wasn't the boy Matthews attached to the Swans up to the age of 13 before he broke his leg?

I have no doubts the likes of Rodon, James, McBurnie would hold down a place in a League One or lower Championship side but at the moment are struggling to get a place on our PL bench.

There are always doubts about academies if they provide value for money but for the Swans it has to be a major pathway in young player recruitment.
Swans Academy on 18:48 - Dec 15 with 1541 viewsblueytheblue

Swans Academy on 18:38 - Dec 15 by glanmorjak

bluey,

not knowing much about your academy, but does the football club possess the required facilities should you want to step up to academy 1 status.

Transitioning players from schoolboy, youth, thro' to the first team takes a lot of cash and a heck of a lot of luck and unfortunately is not guaranteed that even 1 player will establish themselves in the first team, especially a Premier League side. That is one problems the Swans are realising now. Wasn't the boy Matthews attached to the Swans up to the age of 13 before he broke his leg?

I have no doubts the likes of Rodon, James, McBurnie would hold down a place in a League One or lower Championship side but at the moment are struggling to get a place on our PL bench.

There are always doubts about academies if they provide value for money but for the Swans it has to be a major pathway in young player recruitment.

There's been talk we were looking for Academy 1 status. That fell away over recent seasons. I suspect for a number of reasons - Tan wanting more home grown players, Warnock not rating setup and now Bellamy being brought in that at some point we'll go for Academy 1 level. The loss of Matondo will probably also be a catalyst for that, especially if he goes on to be a star. Young strikers with pace and power tend to do well.

You're absolutely right in that being an Academy in itself doesn't guarantee players will get to the first team. The whole establishing of Academies stated that was the aim.. which was laughable. What they do right now is increase chances - somewhat minutely imo. It's still playing like against like tho - everything nicely organised up until the point players need to transition from DVP to first team squad.

I'd also point out you can still produce players outside Academies. We used to produce a fair few, yet it's dried up during the Academy days.

The loan system has also ruined things imo. You talk of Rodon, James, McBurnie - yet all they've played is DVP. They need first team games with experienced players at Championship / League One level to give them real game experience. We've had problems loaning some of our DVP players out. Why get players from Cardiff when you can try to loan one of the 978 Chelsea youngsters?

As I understand it, Matthews has to have a trial with you, broke his arm, you never got back to him.

Login to get fewer ads

Swans Academy on 23:35 - Dec 15 with 1459 viewsMillJack

Swans Academy on 16:59 - Dec 15 by arnnie

Under 13s played Cardiff schools last night at Landore I went to watch. Left about 7.45 to get home to watch swans on kodi. Didn't take a genius to see that cardiff had some classy players. And looked well coached.

Are we comparing our academy to Cardiff's academy or their schools teams? I'm confused. Or have you just come here for an argument?

In my opinion our clubs determination to reach Cat 1 status was as big a waste of money as whatever loan fee we paid for Itay Schecter. Bricks and mortar have never been solely responsible for creating great footballers, in fact it's often the opposite.

I was lucky enough to coach some fabulous young players when we were still a Centre of Excellence, the best to have come out of our club in recent years...Joe Allen, Ben Davies & Emyr Huws. At that time we played our home games on the rutted surfaces of the Elba when, us coaches, had to mark out the pitches with cones and clear dog-sh!t off the pitches before the game. Were the above named players inhibited by the lack of facilities? Well, it would appear not.

The whole academy, and in particular the development centre, system is an absolute disgrace and the way that young children treated in that system is an offence to us all. Honestly, if it was any other industry those in power would be dragged in front of court on child abuse charges. 4-a-week training sessions and lengthy travel for games on weekends, separated from their parents for the journey, at 7 years old. Seven!!! Children stopped from playing with their friends in school/clubs in order to fully commit themselves to an organisation that is only interested in the potential money they could make from them.

The whole thing stinks.
Swans Academy on 23:44 - Dec 15 with 1450 viewsRancid

I bet the club has earned some dosh with the saturation of development and acadamy kid.Every mate i know, his son is with the Swans development usually.The academy is ruthless.It broke my nephew as a footballer.They said he was too small, which he was but he was still banging them in and although he'd get knocked off the ball quite often, in time he'd have filled out, which he has and grown taller.He's got no interest in playing football now at 15.His brothers a better player though but has no interest in the Swans.He's with Cardiff.
Swans Academy on 00:29 - Dec 16 with 1418 viewsTNT

Is Nigel Rees making decisions for the right reasons these days, or being swayed by difficult parents?

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

Swans Academy on 07:19 - Dec 16 with 1363 viewsKilkennyjack

Swans Academy on 23:35 - Dec 15 by MillJack

Are we comparing our academy to Cardiff's academy or their schools teams? I'm confused. Or have you just come here for an argument?

In my opinion our clubs determination to reach Cat 1 status was as big a waste of money as whatever loan fee we paid for Itay Schecter. Bricks and mortar have never been solely responsible for creating great footballers, in fact it's often the opposite.

I was lucky enough to coach some fabulous young players when we were still a Centre of Excellence, the best to have come out of our club in recent years...Joe Allen, Ben Davies & Emyr Huws. At that time we played our home games on the rutted surfaces of the Elba when, us coaches, had to mark out the pitches with cones and clear dog-sh!t off the pitches before the game. Were the above named players inhibited by the lack of facilities? Well, it would appear not.

The whole academy, and in particular the development centre, system is an absolute disgrace and the way that young children treated in that system is an offence to us all. Honestly, if it was any other industry those in power would be dragged in front of court on child abuse charges. 4-a-week training sessions and lengthy travel for games on weekends, separated from their parents for the journey, at 7 years old. Seven!!! Children stopped from playing with their friends in school/clubs in order to fully commit themselves to an organisation that is only interested in the potential money they could make from them.

The whole thing stinks.

Wow - thanks for posting that.

I cant comment on the most important part - child care.

I can comment on the CoE vs Academy comparison you draw.
Your point is well made.
No money gets you ....many local boys as full international playes.
Mega millions gets you ...well, nothing.

Its the elephant in the room at our club.

Beware of the Risen People

Swans Academy on 07:50 - Dec 16 with 1308 viewswaynekerr55

The whole thing stinks.

Well said.

This whole nonsense about them playing on pristine pitches. Less than 1% will play in the Prem/championship, less than 2% will play on the dogshit pitches in the lower leagues and less than 5% will play good semi pro football.

Players are too molly coddled and get everything too soon. There's also no transition from boys football to mens football.

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Swans Academy on 07:52 - Dec 16 with 1304 viewswaynekerr55

Swans Academy on 07:19 - Dec 16 by Kilkennyjack

Your point is well made.

It shouldn't be the elephant in the room though. Lots of potential, it has to be a coordinated approach across the club.

At the moment our club is as coordinated as an alcoholic in a swimming pool of vodka.

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Swans Academy on 08:37 - Dec 16 with 1313 viewsarnnie

The whole thing stinks.

Not looking for an argument, it's my opinion also that it's not right to stop young kids from playing with friends or playing other sports when most of them are there to make numbers up etc. I wanted an honest opinion to see what people's thoughts are on spending all that money on the Academy? and if they think that the academy will produce more 1st players due to the level of investment ? are we getting the best young talent in the area?
Swans Academy on 09:29 - Dec 16 with 1174 viewsjasper_T

Swans Academy on 07:19 - Dec 16 by Kilkennyjack

Your point is well made.

It's far too early to say "mega millions gets you nothing". The oldest development lads at Swansea (the ones out on loan in the Football League: Josh Sheehan, Connor Roberts...) played plenty of games on dogshit covered pitches before the investment started in earnest.

The route to first team football is tricky when that first team plays in the Premier League. It took serious injury for Ben Davies to get the chance to make the step. If we go down we could see 3 or 4 local products push on immediately.
Swans Academy on 12:01 - Dec 16 with 1130 viewsLoyal

Swans Academy on 14:06 - Dec 15 by arnnie

I appreciate that it's only one age group that I'm talking about. Anyone else know what it's like for the other swans age groups particularly younger? What with all the investment in to the Academy you would have thought that standards would have risen substantially.

For me the swans are light years ahead within the academy gradings. The very best talent is being brought in and in the Cardiff area literally dozens of kids are signed to the swans. I'm not sure what you actually want from the club, or indeed is there an underlying reason for this thread. Swansea put out a side last season of kids all from east Wales, literally all,of them. Even the anus made comment on it. There's too much negativity in the city regards the club and not enough knowledge and awareness of the work that has been done or can be achieved.

And why didn't you compare Swansea to our real academy rivals, Chelsea etc but instead choose Cardiff, who for me no matter what you say don't even come close to the scenario you represent.
I think your real issue is with players who are being rejected by Swansea who do not make the grade, and who Cardiff accept as a result. And this has pissed you off, if your family member isn't good enough accept it. He may be in years to come.

Honestly the Cardiff system doesn't come close, and anyone with real knowledge of it will tell you exactly the same.
[Post edited 16 Dec 2016 12:07]

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Swans Academy on 14:12 - Dec 16 with 1074 viewsarnnie

Swans Academy on 12:01 - Dec 16 by Loyal

For me the swans are light years ahead within the academy gradings. The very best talent is being brought in and in the Cardiff area literally dozens of kids are signed to the swans. I'm not sure what you actually want from the club, or indeed is there an underlying reason for this thread. Swansea put out a side last season of kids all from east Wales, literally all,of them. Even the anus made comment on it. There's too much negativity in the city regards the club and not enough knowledge and awareness of the work that has been done or can be achieved.

And why didn't you compare Swansea to our real academy rivals, Chelsea etc but instead choose Cardiff, who for me no matter what you say don't even come close to the scenario you represent.
I think your real issue is with players who are being rejected by Swansea who do not make the grade, and who Cardiff accept as a result. And this has pissed you off, if your family member isn't good enough accept it. He may be in years to come.

Honestly the Cardiff system doesn't come close, and anyone with real knowledge of it will tell you exactly the same.

Ha ha I don't think my family member is good enough along with a few others that I watched over the past few weeks that was the point. Would be interesting to know how many of the cardiff schools team are with Cardiff Academy as some of them looked really good . Was only asking people who know about Academy football if swans are picking up the best kids from our area when we have in place a category 1 Academy.
Swans Academy on 14:20 - Dec 16 with 1063 viewsarnnie

Swans Academy on 12:01 - Dec 16 by Loyal

And the reason for choosing cardiff is we are in direct competition for the better boys in South Wales.
Swans Academy on 15:08 - Dec 16 with 1030 viewsglanmorjak

Swans Academy on 14:20 - Dec 16 by arnnie

And the reason for choosing cardiff is we are in direct competition for the better boys in South Wales.

I have no doubt that Warnock's decision to downgrade his academy is a money saving decision based totally on his having more cash in the pot to spend on the first team and, in his opinion, make a better fist of getting the club back into the PL.

If Cardiff were in the PL, I have no doubts that Tan would justify his decision on wanting more Welsh kids at the club and provide the cash to upgrade to academy 1 status.

Only in a few seasons will we be able to make a judgement on whether the Swans academy has been value for money but one major criticism I have at the moment is over the decision of how many seasons can you have academy players playing in the U23's, as at the moment I have concerns over the likes of Rodon, James, Davies K going sideways rather than be placed out on loan. These guys are in their 3rd season of U23 football and havn't a clue what the outside world of man's football is all about. In my opinion they need to go out on loan in January but my concern is that with the 23's on top of the league they will remain at the club in an attempt to get promotion.
Swans Academy on 15:26 - Dec 16 with 1018 viewsTailGunner

Swans Academy on 14:20 - Dec 16 by arnnie

A reason could be..
If I had the choice for a child of mine - CAT 1 gives a much smaller chance of success as the quality, facilities & opposition are better and the net is spread wider.

You would have a better chance at a CAT 2 club for the reasons above, and still have a bit of a life outside football.
In the last 4 season Swansea Academy has aggressively targeted South East Wales in the mid Academy age groups.
The majority of kids that were with Cardiff (pre CAT 1 for SCFC) are still there.
Cat 1 clubs can take these kids when they are deemed near enough the finished article for small fees in todays market - Cat2 clubs cannot.

I have to agree fully with MillJack's post.
Also The local coaches who worked in the CofE, Development Centre & early academy days seem to me to be to be every bit as good as the new coaches. Although a few still remain.
Swans Academy on 15:38 - Dec 16 with 999 viewsarnnie

Swans Academy on 15:08 - Dec 16 by glanmorjak

I have no doubt that Warnock's decision to downgrade his academy is a money saving decision based totally on his having more cash in the pot to spend on the first team and, in his opinion, make a better fist of getting the club back into the PL.

If Cardiff were in the PL, I have no doubts that Tan would justify his decision on wanting more Welsh kids at the club and provide the cash to upgrade to academy 1 status.

Only in a few seasons will we be able to make a judgement on whether the Swans academy has been value for money but one major criticism I have at the moment is over the decision of how many seasons can you have academy players playing in the U23's, as at the moment I have concerns over the likes of Rodon, James, Davies K going sideways rather than be placed out on loan. These guys are in their 3rd season of U23 football and havn't a clue what the outside world of man's football is all about. In my opinion they need to go out on loan in January but my concern is that with the 23's on top of the league they will remain at the club in an attempt to get promotion.

I would be interested to hear from parents who travel past or from swansea to go to Cardiff Academy, I appreciate that swans wouldn't want some of the kids. But obviously some really good players make the journey . In my opinion swansea with Academy category1 status and all the investment and facilities we now have should be seen as the best opportunity for young talent to fulfil potential. But do parents of these kids see it that way? And if not why??
Swans Academy on 15:40 - Dec 16 with 997 viewsblueytheblue

Swans Academy on 15:08 - Dec 16 by glanmorjak

LMFAO.

"Warnock's decision to downgrade his academy".

Can you provide any evidence to that bold claim whatsoever?

Facts.

We've always been category 2. Have never been category 1, hence haven't downgraded.
Tan has stated he wants more homegrown players coming through.
We've appointed Bellamy as Player Development Manager with a remit to look at all the youngsters, assess and aid in getting those with the quality pushed through the ranks.
(EDIT) Warnock himself has stated he wnts to be more involved with all levels at the club.

So, I have to ask, given the evidence to the contrary, why state Warnock decided to downgrade the academy? All he has done is state u23/DVP doesn't prepare players well enough to move up to first team unlike the old reserve leagues. What he's done is inform around 10 of the older ones in the DVP they'll be gone in summer, telling them now so that they have more time to get a new club.

Your last paragraph is something I entirely agree with. Youngsters need to be tested to develop, that means playing against bigger, stronger, more experienced player. u23/DVP doesn't do that meaning players come through the ranks unprepared for first team football. The problem though is it's fine saying "loan them out", but you need teams wanting the players in the first place.

We loaned Rhys Healey to Newport - could be a nice partnership, loan players to a team nearby. Allows them at times to also train with us. Westley has completely f***ed up any arrangement with his antics though.
[Post edited 16 Dec 2016 15:41]

Swans Academy on 15:44 - Dec 16 with 990 viewsblueytheblue

Swans Academy on 15:26 - Dec 16 by TailGunner

A reason could be..
If I had the choice for a child of mine - CAT 1 gives a much smaller chance of success as the quality, facilities & opposition are better and the net is spread wider.

You would have a better chance at a CAT 2 club for the reasons above, and still have a bit of a life outside football.
In the last 4 season Swansea Academy has aggressively targeted South East Wales in the mid Academy age groups.
The majority of kids that were with Cardiff (pre CAT 1 for SCFC) are still there.
Cat 1 clubs can take these kids when they are deemed near enough the finished article for small fees in todays market - Cat2 clubs cannot.

I have to agree fully with MillJack's post.
Also The local coaches who worked in the CofE, Development Centre & early academy days seem to me to be to be every bit as good as the new coaches. Although a few still remain.

Agree Cat 1 / Prem teams can poach players with impunity these days, see Matondo. Though I would have to say that they offered guaranteed pro contract, house and job for the dad. Not sure you'd do that or be in position to, being fair. So within Cat 1 there's a semblance of a glass ceiling.

Swans Academy on 16:11 - Dec 16 with 964 viewsTailGunner

Swans Academy on 13:53 - Dec 15 by arnnie

Talking Academy football, over the last few weeks I've watched Cardiff Academy v Swans Academy and last night swans Academy v Cardiff schools . On both occasions it looked like the cardiff boys were miles ahead in all aspects especially game awareness and technically. I was amazed at how good cardiff schools were to be honest .

arnnie,
I have spoken to a friend who's lad plays for Swans 13s.
I am informed only a few regular Swans Academy boys played, the majority were made up of trialists.

The game was set up to asses trialists.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024