Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Well that explains why Routledge wasn't playing earlier in the season. 22:16 - May 4 with 12512 viewsNeathJack

Apologies for the fact it's The Sun.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/8999513/wayne-routledge-stay-swansea-tal
Well that explains why Routledge wasn't playing earlier in the season. on 13:25 - May 5 with 2133 viewslondonlisa2001

Well that explains why Routledge wasn't playing earlier in the season. on 13:19 - May 5 by jasper_T

A lie you're told to tell is still a lie.

You’ve told plenty this season so you’d know.

We’re talking about one of them.
Well that explains why Routledge wasn't playing earlier in the season. on 13:25 - May 5 with 2127 viewsTailGunner

Well that explains why Routledge wasn't playing earlier in the season. on 13:22 - May 5 by jasper_T

What's Wayne complaining about, then?!?

Have you read the article?????

He reached the appearance clause which triggered a new contract. The club wouldn't play him due to this. He waived the clause just to play again.

This was when you and others were slating the manager for not picking him
Well that explains why Routledge wasn't playing earlier in the season. on 13:25 - May 5 with 2132 viewsUxbridge

Well that explains why Routledge wasn't playing earlier in the season. on 13:19 - May 5 by jasper_T

A lie you're told to tell is still a lie.

Hardly a stick to beat him with though. The role does require a modicum of diplomacy sometimes.

He's done a great job anyway. Performed minor miracles to cobble together a team that has remembered how to play passing football. This season could have gone very wrong.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Well that explains why Routledge wasn't playing earlier in the season. on 13:28 - May 5 with 2111 viewslondonlisa2001

Well that explains why Routledge wasn't playing earlier in the season. on 13:25 - May 5 by Uxbridge

Hardly a stick to beat him with though. The role does require a modicum of diplomacy sometimes.

He's done a great job anyway. Performed minor miracles to cobble together a team that has remembered how to play passing football. This season could have gone very wrong.

Yep.

He’s been a breath of fresh air this season. Has the team playing some lovely stuff.

But if you can’t blame Potter, you have to look elsewhere.
Well that explains why Routledge wasn't playing earlier in the season. on 13:32 - May 5 with 2078 viewsjasper_T

Well that explains why Routledge wasn't playing earlier in the season. on 13:25 - May 5 by Uxbridge

It could have but I don't agree it's a miracle, minor or otherwise. The u23s never stopped playing passing football, and it didn't take hindsight to see there was a crop of players ready to make a step up and contribute at this level. I had Oli down for top scorer and Byers for player of the year last summer.

Sunderland we weren't. Joel Asoro and George Honeyman vs. Dan James and Connor Roberts. In bed by 11 Wayne Routledge vs. a drunk Darran Gibson. No competition.
Well that explains why Routledge wasn't playing earlier in the season. on 13:40 - May 5 with 2044 viewsUxbridge

Well that explains why Routledge wasn't playing earlier in the season. on 13:28 - May 5 by londonlisa2001

Yep.

He’s been a breath of fresh air this season. Has the team playing some lovely stuff.

But if you can’t blame Potter, you have to look elsewhere.

Probably not been following these threads closely enough, but if we're looking for reasons why things are as they are, then I'm amazed the debate ever goes too far from the poor recruitment on and off the pitch, overseen by our former chairman. The rest is noise really.

Well that explains why Routledge wasn't playing earlier in the season. on 13:41 - May 5 with 2039 viewsmagicdaps10

Leave it go Jasper, you are going to turn into E20 otherwise and I wouldn't wish that on you.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Well that explains why Routledge wasn't playing earlier in the season. on 13:44 - May 5 with 2021 viewsUxbridge

Well that explains why Routledge wasn't playing earlier in the season. on 13:32 - May 5 by jasper_T

It could have but I don't agree it's a miracle, minor or otherwise. The u23s never stopped playing passing football, and it didn't take hindsight to see there was a crop of players ready to make a step up and contribute at this level. I had Oli down for top scorer and Byers for player of the year last summer.

Sunderland we weren't. Joel Asoro and George Honeyman vs. Dan James and Connor Roberts. In bed by 11 Wayne Routledge vs. a drunk Darran Gibson. No competition.

I think you underestimate the upheaval of relegation and the squad turnover plus all the other subplots this year. He's done an excellent job IMO. Of course mistakes have been made but that's always going to happen.

Login to get fewer ads

Well that explains why Routledge wasn't playing earlier in the season. on 13:45 - May 5 with 2015 viewsjasper_T

Well that explains why Routledge wasn't playing earlier in the season. on 13:41 - May 5 by magicdaps10

Leave it go Jasper, you are going to turn into E20 otherwise and I wouldn't wish that on you.

I've been wrong plenty before and I will be again (something E20 would never admit). But believing Potter has made me look a mug today and I'm hopping mad about it.
Well that explains why Routledge wasn't playing earlier in the season. on 13:46 - May 5 with 2009 views34dfgdf54

Well that explains why Routledge wasn't playing earlier in the season. on 13:44 - May 5 by Uxbridge

I think you underestimate the upheaval of relegation and the squad turnover plus all the other subplots this year. He's done an excellent job IMO. Of course mistakes have been made but that's always going to happen.

It’s not really just your opinion Ux. It is a fact, anyone who thinks otherwise doesn’t know what they are talking about. Simple as that.
Well that explains why Routledge wasn't playing earlier in the season. on 13:56 - May 5 with 1990 viewsjasper_T

Well that explains why Routledge wasn't playing earlier in the season. on 13:44 - May 5 by Uxbridge

And I think people underestimate the quality and quantity of players we had remaining, and how much of a shambles most of this division is both financially and in the makeup of their squads.

I said early on in the season I thought with our players we should wind up competing for the playoffs in the last few weeks, and that's just about how it's ended up, albeit falling short. So he's definitely done a good job over the course of the season, excellent home form, but miracles give one man too much credit.
Well that explains why Routledge wasn't playing earlier in the season. on 14:03 - May 5 with 1972 viewsUxbridge

Well that explains why Routledge wasn't playing earlier in the season. on 13:56 - May 5 by jasper_T

And I think people underestimate the quality and quantity of players we had remaining, and how much of a shambles most of this division is both financially and in the makeup of their squads.

I said early on in the season I thought with our players we should wind up competing for the playoffs in the last few weeks, and that's just about how it's ended up, albeit falling short. So he's definitely done a good job over the course of the season, excellent home form, but miracles give one man too much credit.

The word "should" in there is I think where we disagree. I think that's an unreasonable ask given the upheaval in the early months of the season and the number of first year pros thrown into action, often when they needed to be taken out.

The quality of what we had left was not something I was as confident on. Can't help feeling a bit more quality and experience would have seen us top 6 quite comfortably.

Well that explains why Routledge wasn't playing earlier in the season. on 14:07 - May 5 with 1949 viewsthornabyswan

Well that explains why Routledge wasn't playing earlier in the season. on 13:45 - May 5 by jasper_T

I've been wrong plenty before and I will be again (something E20 would never admit). But believing Potter has made me look a mug today and I'm hopping mad about it.

Never would have guessed

Poll: Would you like Cooper to stay or go (regardless of compensation situation)

Well that explains why Routledge wasn't playing earlier in the season. on 14:09 - May 5 with 1947 viewsexiledclaseboy

Well that explains why Routledge wasn't playing earlier in the season. on 13:45 - May 5 by jasper_T

It’s not Potter who’s making you look like a mug mush.

Poll: Tory leader

Well that explains why Routledge wasn't playing earlier in the season. on 14:28 - May 5 with 1906 viewsjasper_T

Well that explains why Routledge wasn't playing earlier in the season. on 14:03 - May 5 by Uxbridge

The word "should" in there is I think where we disagree. I think that's an unreasonable ask given the upheaval in the early months of the season and the number of first year pros thrown into action, often when they needed to be taken out.

The quality of what we had left was not something I was as confident on. Can't help feeling a bit more quality and experience would have seen us top 6 quite comfortably.

In fairness we haven't had any genuine first year pros playing for us, like Norwich do in Max Aarons. These lads have all been professionals for years, most were aged 20-22, and apart from DJ and Byers had significant senior gametime prior to this season.

"First full season at Championship level" stretches the definition almost beyond relevance.

I agree that if we had more and better players we would have finished higher. Or even if the ones we had could have stayed fit.
Well that explains why Routledge wasn't playing earlier in the season. on 14:32 - May 5 with 1891 viewsjasper_T

Well that explains why Routledge wasn't playing earlier in the season. on 14:09 - May 5 by exiledclaseboy

It’s not Potter who’s making you look like a mug mush.

Didn't say he did.
Well that explains why Routledge wasn't playing earlier in the season. on 14:42 - May 5 with 1873 viewslondonlisa2001

Well that explains why Routledge wasn't playing earlier in the season. on 14:28 - May 5 by jasper_T

In fairness we haven't had any genuine first year pros playing for us, like Norwich do in Max Aarons. These lads have all been professionals for years, most were aged 20-22, and apart from DJ and Byers had significant senior gametime prior to this season.

"First full season at Championship level" stretches the definition almost beyond relevance.

I agree that if we had more and better players we would have finished higher. Or even if the ones we had could have stayed fit.

Rodon had played 12 games in League 2 before this season.

Baker Richardson had played no games in the Football League before this season.

You’ve mentioned James and Byers. Dhanda - no senior games before this season.

All players that have been in or around the first team squad this season.

You seem to be stretching the definition of significant senior game time.
Well that explains why Routledge wasn't playing earlier in the season. on 14:55 - May 5 with 1844 viewsjasper_T

Well that explains why Routledge wasn't playing earlier in the season. on 14:42 - May 5 by londonlisa2001

Rodon had played 12 games in League 2 before this season.

Baker Richardson had played no games in the Football League before this season.

You’ve mentioned James and Byers. Dhanda - no senior games before this season.

All players that have been in or around the first team squad this season.

You seem to be stretching the definition of significant senior game time.

Baker-Richardson I forgot about.

Dhanda didn't consider because he made one start and a few brief substitute appearances. An u23s player who got a few lucky breaks due to injuries and all that over-the-top hype.

12 games of senior football is significant. Most players go through an adaption period of around half a dozen games when they step up to senior level, where they get used to the faster pace and the strength of the opposition, the adrenaline wears off and they can settle down and play their natural game. Without 12 games very unlikely Rodon produces the type of performance he did for us against Preston. Looked scared to head a ball at Cheltenham, they said. But that was evidently just the nerves.
Well that explains why Routledge wasn't playing earlier in the season. on 15:03 - May 5 with 1827 viewslondonlisa2001

Well that explains why Routledge wasn't playing earlier in the season. on 14:55 - May 5 by jasper_T

Baker-Richardson I forgot about.

Dhanda didn't consider because he made one start and a few brief substitute appearances. An u23s player who got a few lucky breaks due to injuries and all that over-the-top hype.

12 games of senior football is significant. Most players go through an adaption period of around half a dozen games when they step up to senior level, where they get used to the faster pace and the strength of the opposition, the adrenaline wears off and they can settle down and play their natural game. Without 12 games very unlikely Rodon produces the type of performance he did for us against Preston. Looked scared to head a ball at Cheltenham, they said. But that was evidently just the nerves.

So bearing in mind that the point you were arguing with Uxbridge was that you believe our players had enough significant senior experience that they ‘should’ have been able to compete to achieve the playoffs in the championship, 12 games in League 2 is indicative of that is it?

And it doesn’t matter why Dhanda played, the fact is he did. And so, according to you, was part of the squad that ‘should’ have been able to compete to achieve the playoffs in the championship. With not a single game before this season.

Lol.
Well that explains why Routledge wasn't playing earlier in the season. on 15:54 - May 5 with 1769 viewsjasper_T

Well that explains why Routledge wasn't playing earlier in the season. on 15:03 - May 5 by londonlisa2001

So bearing in mind that the point you were arguing with Uxbridge was that you believe our players had enough significant senior experience that they ‘should’ have been able to compete to achieve the playoffs in the championship, 12 games in League 2 is indicative of that is it?

And it doesn’t matter why Dhanda played, the fact is he did. And so, according to you, was part of the squad that ‘should’ have been able to compete to achieve the playoffs in the championship. With not a single game before this season.

Lol.

Dhanda shouldn't have been part of the squad. He was signed for the u23s, only went on the preseason tour because Byers picked up an injury in the Newport game, and made his only league start in that daft lineup against Forest, and looked entirely out of his depth. Not awful against Palace but that was mostly played at training pace.

When we hit form and consistent selection he didn't make most matchday squads. So no, he's not a significant influence on where the team should finish in a league table.

The point I was debating with Uxbridge was that our squad had enough ability to compete as we have done. Experience is only one factor in players ability to perform. Our inexperienced kids were very good. The 4th best u23s side in the UK last season, in fact, even without players like Rodon and McBurnie available for much of it.

This is a division where untried teenagers emerge to stardom every year. Bogle, Aarons, Clarke, Reece James etc. this season. Our development crop of 20-22 year olds was extremely well-positioned to do the same, given the time and money put into assembling it. And so it's proved.
Well that explains why Routledge wasn't playing earlier in the season. on 16:18 - May 5 with 1744 viewslondonlisa2001

Well that explains why Routledge wasn't playing earlier in the season. on 15:54 - May 5 by jasper_T

Dhanda shouldn't have been part of the squad. He was signed for the u23s, only went on the preseason tour because Byers picked up an injury in the Newport game, and made his only league start in that daft lineup against Forest, and looked entirely out of his depth. Not awful against Palace but that was mostly played at training pace.

When we hit form and consistent selection he didn't make most matchday squads. So no, he's not a significant influence on where the team should finish in a league table.

The point I was debating with Uxbridge was that our squad had enough ability to compete as we have done. Experience is only one factor in players ability to perform. Our inexperienced kids were very good. The 4th best u23s side in the UK last season, in fact, even without players like Rodon and McBurnie available for much of it.

This is a division where untried teenagers emerge to stardom every year. Bogle, Aarons, Clarke, Reece James etc. this season. Our development crop of 20-22 year olds was extremely well-positioned to do the same, given the time and money put into assembling it. And so it's proved.

It doesn’t matter whether he should have been part of the squad. He was part of the squad for parts of the season. And you’ve dropped Rodon off your argument now?

Anyway. I can’t be bothered to argue with you to be honest.

All season, your point has been :

- squad is good enough to be competitive (now means top ten, earlier meant play offs, earlier again meant we’d ‘p*ss the division’) so any failure to do so is the fault of the manager.

- Any signings not made weren’t needed.

- Most signings that were made were poor.

- Players who are not selected due to club issues didn’t exist.

- Until they did. At which point Potter’s a liar.

- Any mess made by Nordfeldt was actually made by Potter.

- Any selection you didn’t agree with was a sign Potter is crap.

- Any change Potter made to win a match was obvious and you’d spotted it hours previously.

- any change he didn’t make is a sign he’s crap

- when we lose, it’s Potter’s fault

- when we win, it’s due to the quality in the squad

But, you know, no agenda...

Don’t take it the wrong way - I’ve greatly enjoyed some of your posts this season. The journey you took us on to support a category 1 academy at all costs, to overnight declaring it a complete waste of time and money because the club were seemingly considering downgrading it, was a thing of beauty. Worthy of Paul on his way to Damascus.
Well that explains why Routledge wasn't playing earlier in the season. on 16:48 - May 5 with 1700 viewsTailGunner

Well that explains why Routledge wasn't playing earlier in the season. on 16:18 - May 5 by londonlisa2001

It doesn’t matter whether he should have been part of the squad. He was part of the squad for parts of the season. And you’ve dropped Rodon off your argument now?

- squad is good enough to be competitive (now means top ten, earlier meant play offs, earlier again meant we’d ‘p*ss the division’) so any failure to do so is the fault of the manager.

- Any change Potter made to win a match was obvious and you’d spotted it hours previously.

Don’t take it the wrong way - I’ve greatly enjoyed some of your posts this season. The journey you took us on to support a category 1 academy at all costs, to overnight declaring it a complete waste of time and money because the club were seemingly considering downgrading it, was a thing of beauty. Worthy of Paul on his way to Damascus.

Magnificent post Lisa. Truly magnificent.
Well that explains why Routledge wasn't playing earlier in the season. on 17:02 - May 5 with 1682 viewsjasper_T

That's a lot of words to type about someone you "can’t be bothered to argue with to be honest".

You've been dead set on this idea that I'm someone with an agenda all season, and implied I'm obviously someone significant on more than one occasion. It's a strange little crusade, built on no shortage of imagination and rewriting of easily-checked posting history.
Well that explains why Routledge wasn't playing earlier in the season. on 17:17 - May 5 with 1663 views34dfgdf54

Well that explains why Routledge wasn't playing earlier in the season. on 17:02 - May 5 by jasper_T

That's a lot of words to type about someone you "can’t be bothered to argue with to be honest".

You've been dead set on this idea that I'm someone with an agenda all season, and implied I'm obviously someone significant on more than one occasion. It's a strange little crusade, built on no shortage of imagination and rewriting of easily-checked posting history.

That post from Lisa has ended this debate. Please stop.

It’s actually starting to get uncomfortable.
Well that explains why Routledge wasn't playing earlier in the season. on 17:22 - May 5 with 1656 viewsthornabyswan

Well that explains why Routledge wasn't playing earlier in the season. on 16:18 - May 5 by londonlisa2001

Very harsh post that Jasper made the mistake of believing what Potter said.
But he does come up with some interesting points / analasys.
And to be fair he gets plenty right half the fan base have bemoaned Potters selections tactics this season.
[Post edited 5 May 2019 17:30]

Poll: Would you like Cooper to stay or go (regardless of compensation situation)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024