Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
the bare minimum this summer 10:33 - Feb 25 with 1478 viewshemingway

Okay, we've had the clear-out (and a few more will be on the way out in the summer, I'm sure), now we need to get some in.

So what's the bare minimum we need?

Personally, if we don't sign 2 full backs (having Green fill in for the injured Brayford is a disaster for both positions and messes up the team) and a big head-the-ba' up front I'm going to be hammering on the door of PPS come August.

A decent right winger and a midfielder who can pass would be nice, too. But the full-backs and the centre forward are not up for debate, imo.

I'm not saying we should spend a fortune, but if we offload 3 or 4 others (we all know who they are) we won't be breaking the bank.

And if we don't show some intent, who's going to buy a season ticket?

ranting for the greater good

the bare minimum this summer on 14:57 - Feb 25 with 1469 viewstaffyram

Central striker and a creative midfielder (ours are much too samey) are an absolute minimum but weren't we saying this a year ago and conned into thinking they would arrive in the summer? No doubt now that season tickets are on offer for next season (for Pete's sake - we're still in February!!!!), the spin from this boards' mouthpiece will start again and we'll be promised these 'marque' signings once again.
Problem is, most of us are hooked and will continue to buy into these promises, thinking surely those at the helm won't let us down yet again. Sadly, I think they will
the bare minimum this summer on 08:11 - Feb 26 with 1455 viewsRabbram10

Oh dear, are u starting to have doubts guys, surely NOT??!!!!!!!!!
the bare minimum this summer on 10:04 - Feb 26 with 1450 viewshemingway

the bare minimum this summer on 08:11 - Feb 26 by Rabbram10

Oh dear, are u starting to have doubts guys, surely NOT??!!!!!!!!!

I don't doubt Clough, and I actually have a lot of faith in the owners and their financial prudence - I'll take them over late-period Lionel and the 3 amigos any day. My doubts concern the details, not the big picture.

the bare minimum this summer on 10:30 - Feb 26 with 1448 viewsRabbram10

The detail r the teams crap & the big picture is we r heading for a worse finish that last season, unless we start scoring a few goals!!!!
the bare minimum this summer on 20:20 - Feb 27 with 1408 viewsdavram

the bare minimum this summer on 10:30 - Feb 26 by Rabbram10

The detail r the teams crap & the big picture is we r heading for a worse finish that last season, unless we start scoring a few goals!!!!

No, Rabb - the big picture is still the overall financial health of the club, and the impending FFC regulations are godsend to Glick & Co, as these rules will promote & legitimate minimal spending on the "football dept".

The detail is a winning team, entertaining football and taking any notice of what Rams fans really crave - a successful team.

Football in 2012, folks....
the bare minimum this summer on 11:48 - Feb 28 with 1393 viewsjiggyjag

As Brian Clough said to the chairman I pick the players you put your hand in your pocket and get some chq's wrote that's your job leave the playing side to me and Taylor.

They talked about a 10 year plan well it's been 3 years now and there has been no signs of any improvement either on the field or in attendences.

Buying 2nd rate players playing players out of position selling our best players for whatever we can get how is that a recipe for success.

Crowds or on the downside and will continue to do so I think finally the pin has dropped and fans are starting to vote with there feet and I can't blame them at all.

Why can't we attract a muti million pound invester who is happy to throw £20 million into a pot for players, if Reading can attract these investors why can't Derby County far bigger fan base and the potential to be a top 10 Prem team as proved in the past.
the bare minimum this summer on 14:04 - Feb 28 with 1384 viewshemingway

the bare minimum this summer on 11:48 - Feb 28 by jiggyjag

As Brian Clough said to the chairman I pick the players you put your hand in your pocket and get some chq's wrote that's your job leave the playing side to me and Taylor.

They talked about a 10 year plan well it's been 3 years now and there has been no signs of any improvement either on the field or in attendences.

Buying 2nd rate players playing players out of position selling our best players for whatever we can get how is that a recipe for success.

Crowds or on the downside and will continue to do so I think finally the pin has dropped and fans are starting to vote with there feet and I can't blame them at all.

Why can't we attract a muti million pound invester who is happy to throw £20 million into a pot for players, if Reading can attract these investors why can't Derby County far bigger fan base and the potential to be a top 10 Prem team as proved in the past.

it's all very well throwing 20m at new players. But then you have to pay them, and keep paying them, throughout their contracts. And then you have to replace them when they move on - for which you need another 20m, ad infinitum.

It's a model that's got most football clubs in this country, including ours several times, into massive debt.

The alternative is that you try to live within your means. It is a tough transition, and it isn't very exciting, to say the least.

The good news is that, when FFP comes in in 3 years, our means will be bigger than most clubs in the championship.

If and when we do get promoted again, our means will be greater than those of about half of premiership teams, too.

It's that simple: owners have to decide between spending big with no guarantee of any success, but massive risk of financial as well as sporting failure, and on the other hand living sensibly and building a sustainable structure throughout the club.

In the second model, with sensible spending and good management we should still be able to get promoted.

Now. whether you think our spending and management have been right is another matter. But if you fundamentally disagree with the plan and think we should start spending some sugar daddy's money again, I just don't know where you've been for the last however many years. We've seen how that ends, and it isn't with cheers and celebrations all round.

What is it we sing? We are Derby. Yes. We are. We are Derby. We are not Man U, or Chelsea, or Man City. We don't have their resources, and we don't have their fans bases. At the moment, in terms of money (and of risk) we are not even Leicester. But who knows where their latest financial experiment will lead them?

We are Derby. We are solvent. It's boring, but it's sustainable.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024