Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Losing? 07:54 - Apr 15 with 869 viewsRabbram10

Today's result will probably please the owners, did they really set out to get in the playoffs, I don't think so?
Will next year be any different, I hope so?
Losing? on 17:41 - Apr 15 with 851 viewsdavram

Rabb sez: "........did they really set out to get in the playoffs?"

Well, sort of; Tom Glick did promise that the Rams would challenge for a play-off place this season, but then again he's a paid employee of GSE and has to sell season & match tickets.

When it came to the crunch - as it became ever more clear that the team needed some good-quality reinforcement to build on the early-season promise, the signings, (either by loan or permanent means) that would have provided that vital push just weren't there.

The players (e.g. Jason Roberts) became available, but the funds & the ambition from DCFC just weren't there.

Disappointing, as usual - but I'll be there - as usual - next season.

Thanks for the double stuffings of F*rest & DirtyLeeds, lads, anyway!
Losing? on 17:57 - Apr 15 with 848 viewstaffyram

Losing? on 17:41 - Apr 15 by davram

Rabb sez: "........did they really set out to get in the playoffs?"

Well, sort of; Tom Glick did promise that the Rams would challenge for a play-off place this season, but then again he's a paid employee of GSE and has to sell season & match tickets.

When it came to the crunch - as it became ever more clear that the team needed some good-quality reinforcement to build on the early-season promise, the signings, (either by loan or permanent means) that would have provided that vital push just weren't there.

The players (e.g. Jason Roberts) became available, but the funds & the ambition from DCFC just weren't there.

Disappointing, as usual - but I'll be there - as usual - next season.

Thanks for the double stuffings of F*rest & DirtyLeeds, lads, anyway!

Think the vast majority of fans are of the same opinion Dav - we'll be there again next season but will be approaching it without any real sense of optimism. With the maturity of some of the younger players (O'Brien, Hendrick & Ball) I think the best we can hope for is a possible challenge for the play-offs because lack of proper investment will prevent anything more. The shame is that all we probably need to make a real impact is 2 (or maybe 3 at most) quality signings - a creative midfielder, an out and out goal scorer and then possibly a pacey winger (right or left). Ah well.............
Losing? on 20:31 - Apr 15 with 843 viewsRabbram10

There is paper talk we r interested in Simon Cox from WBA, would he be the striker we need, thoughts?
Losing? on 09:33 - Apr 16 with 831 viewstaffyram

Losing? on 20:31 - Apr 15 by Rabbram10

There is paper talk we r interested in Simon Cox from WBA, would he be the striker we need, thoughts?

He's a decent player but possibly a bit injury-prone. I look at strikers (or should I say goal scorers which is more what we need) and think of those who could have come in and done a job for a season or two - Le Fondre, Jason Roberts, Kevin Phillips and wonder...what if?
Losing? on 12:28 - Apr 16 with 820 viewsjiggyjag

The club aren't going to invest in a quality foraward or any other player for that matter.

We will end up with someone who hasn't any Premier/Championship experience but and un known quanity who is cheap.

Reading have proven that with a little vision and investment you reap the rewards and good luck to them.

I still beleive we will sell our better players before the new season begins
Losing? on 18:24 - Apr 17 with 798 viewsdavram

In fact, we can also look to Swansea & Norwich for the modern template of what DCFC should be achieving - both teams were promoted last term whilst we were straggling at the wrong end of the Championship, and both teams have stuck to a winning blend of youth, experience & quality against the big boys that provides the platform to play enough ruthless football to survive alongside some of the biggest & richest clubs on the planet.

At all levels, be it the current DCFC custodians, the "football department" management staff and the squad itself, the Rams still fall some way short of the ability & experience to join these teams at the top table. But the potential for significant financial backing may still be there, if the FFP rules will accomodate this.

Reading & Southampton might well prove to be better long-term bets in the Prem than any of the teams currently threatened with losing their Prem status, but none of the clubs that we're talking about - Swansea, Norwich, Reading, Southampton and the group of Prem strugglers - could claim to be "bigger" clubs in the objective sense than DCFC.

The Brummie Blues can do it via the play-offs, but now face some critical developments concerning their ownership and finance - whether or not they go up. If not, Hughton could well be poached.

West Ham are an exception to the recent promotion trend, as they are in debt up to their necks and have propped up their huge wage bill with their "demotion dosh".

I expect them to face mounting off-field pressures in the next couple of years or so that will compromise their "big club" delusions.

It remains to be seen if Nigel can perfect the "slow build" route to success, now enshrined in the GSE mission statement (ever since Jewell wasted their initial investment) that has laid the foundation for Burton Albion at a lower level.

It's a "Billy Fury feeling" at present, I suppose;DCFC might be just halfway to paradise - "so near, yet so far away"...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024