Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I'm sure it wasn't the plan 11:32 - Jul 10 with 1726 viewshemingway

to start the season with a weaker squad than we finished the last one with. But that's how it's shaping up. If we don't get a couple of decent players in soon it's going to be a long season.

ranting for the greater good

I'm sure it wasn't the plan on 11:39 - Jul 10 with 1722 viewsRabbram10

The bookies think we will struggle & finish in the bottom seven, can't say I disagree with them unless like you say we get a few good signings in soon hopefully?!

I'm sure it wasn't the plan on 14:26 - Jul 10 with 1710 viewsjiggyjag

Did we really expect anything differant last season we got lucky with the players coming through and making an impact there is noway you can run a club with young players coming through the ranks.

You need quality in there too to balance the team we have lost Green and Shackell and Davies likely to follow soon to me all players who will be hard to replace.

I hope i'm wrong but I'm not excited about anything happening at the club.
I'm sure it wasn't the plan on 17:07 - Jul 10 with 1702 viewstaffyram

I'm sure it wasn't the plan on 14:26 - Jul 10 by jiggyjag

Did we really expect anything differant last season we got lucky with the players coming through and making an impact there is noway you can run a club with young players coming through the ranks.

You need quality in there too to balance the team we have lost Green and Shackell and Davies likely to follow soon to me all players who will be hard to replace.

I hope i'm wrong but I'm not excited about anything happening at the club.

Whilst I agree that you need a blend of experience and youth, I don't understand how we were lucky as you call it with the young players who came through last season. They played as well as they did through a combination of natural talent (spotted by someone employed at the club) and good coaching - how is that lucky?
I'm sure it wasn't the plan on 19:07 - Jul 10 with 1695 viewsdavram

I'm sure it wasn't the plan on 17:07 - Jul 10 by taffyram

Whilst I agree that you need a blend of experience and youth, I don't understand how we were lucky as you call it with the young players who came through last season. They played as well as they did through a combination of natural talent (spotted by someone employed at the club) and good coaching - how is that lucky?

I'm with you on that one, Taff - the old phrase is, "if you're good enough, you're old enough".

Not every kid will make the impact of a Rooney, Walcott, Beckham, Bale etc, but I do believe that the one thing Derby are getting right is the development of talent, which did bear fruit last season. But they'll simply get picked off by clubs with ambition.

It could be argued that injuries to some of those good youngsters ac tually held us back last season, too. Lack of Championship quality, experienced signings was the bigger factor, though, IMHO.

I don't really believe, that Glick (especially) or Clough have got the judgement of which kids to put in and when to do so down to a fine art; it's simply a matter of risk - you either risk it with kids, or risk spending money that buys duffers/contract hoppers.

There is a balance, Derby clearly don't have it, but have chosen the former as the primary component of first team squad development. Inconsistent results and losing streaks will continue to be a characteristic of the team & GSE are happy with that.

So that means we'll be seen as the poor relations in our league - we're a feeder club for Leeds, Burnley etc, now. Obviously, Crewe & N'p'ton are at least still below us in the feeder chain...small consolation for us fans that have paid our money upfront.

I think Glick misjudged the mood of the fans when he said we don't need to sell - just before selling Shackell - but why in hell should he care now?

We've got the "Player of the Year" sale syndrome to come yet, 'cos if other Championship clubs can get Shackell, it's a cert that they'll be in for Bryson.

Like most, I'm now very pessimistic about next season; it could be another bad one. Glick is in the money, free of GSE constraints and his "pet cause" of FFP.

What a creep.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024