Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Australia 09:08 - Aug 5 with 2472 viewsMonahoop

It's not gone unnoticed on this forum by some plus myself, how poorly Australia have performed in these Olympics compared to recent games. For a country that prides itself on sport and the benefits of partaking in sport, this must seem a bitter blow to them. Coming second is not good enough. Even New Zealand have won more gold medals so far than them and that to an Aussie must hurt.

So why has this happened? Why are all the swarthy, super tanned,blond haired Bradley's and Bindy's we all so admire or are supposed to admire, performing with feet of clay? Is it because they hate the British weather or have their supplies of Fosters lager been contaminated?

Can any R's fans now residing in Oz throw a light on this?

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Australia on 09:11 - Aug 5 with 1862 viewsLewes_r

Not residing in Oz but id hazard a guess that they have been punching above their weight for too long.. Small country population wise.. Rest of the worlds programmes have caught up but have bigger talent pool...

Hopefully they have been snuffed out

Poll: Who do we want down with us and Burnley?

Australia on 09:11 - Aug 5 with 1859 viewsTGRRRSSS

I agree that Aus have had a terrible Games by their standards in fact in sport in general Australia are having a torrid time all over the shop.
New Zealand Per Capita have more medals in Modern Olympic games than any other nation and always outperform what should be the expectation on a country of its size.
Australia on 09:13 - Aug 5 with 1850 viewshoopstilidie

Olympics wise I don't think Australia are having a bad one at all, I actually think previous Olympics they did far better than they should have done, now found their true level.

Ringo Starr ate my hamper.
Poll: Yes or no?

Australia on 09:17 - Aug 5 with 1834 viewsTGRRRSSS

They have a population of about 20m thats pretty good and there are many countries with far less people and much less structure/finance behind it that are doing better at the moment.
I agree things are more competitive now by there again in the past you had the drug cheats and the old Soviet and East Germans to deal with, things have evolved but I don't think thats why Aus haven't done well.
Australia on 09:18 - Aug 5 with 1834 viewsPommyhoop

So why has this happened? Why are all the swarthy, super tanned,blond haired Bradley's and Bindy's we all so admire or are supposed to admire, performing with feet of clay?

You'd be more likely to see a pasty overweight Troy and Tracy these days.Australia has taken over America as the most obese nation.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Australia on 09:21 - Aug 5 with 1824 viewsTGRRRSSS

Far too many Red Roosters etc etc.
However I don't think that obesity is the reason, plenty of Fat people the world over and especially in the UK obesity is a problem in other ways but to explain away Aus general malaise in sport currently would be nothing to do with obsesity as those people would never be in the running anyway probably from before their born really.
Australia on 09:24 - Aug 5 with 1815 viewsBlackCrowe

Australia on 09:21 - Aug 5 by TGRRRSSS

Far too many Red Roosters etc etc.
However I don't think that obesity is the reason, plenty of Fat people the world over and especially in the UK obesity is a problem in other ways but to explain away Aus general malaise in sport currently would be nothing to do with obsesity as those people would never be in the running anyway probably from before their born really.

Best thing though is the karma thing. After a couple medal-less days for GB, almost all of the Aussie press (particularly the Herald Sun) were having field day mocking the GB team and gloating at their couple of early golds. Love it.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Australia on 09:25 - Aug 5 with 1811 viewsPommyhoop

No definately not the reason.Sport is still massive here both watching it and playing it.I think the lotto money thrown at sports back home is kicking in now

Login to get fewer ads

Australia on 09:26 - Aug 5 with 1804 viewsLewes_r

My pom mate living in Brisbane is getting frustrated because they basically arent showing much of the olympics. ie only showing events they are doing well in ( not many)

But then again we are quite spoiled by our massive coverage this time around
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Poll: Who do we want down with us and Burnley?

Australia on 09:27 - Aug 5 with 1799 viewsPommyhoop

Australia on 09:24 - Aug 5 by BlackCrowe

Best thing though is the karma thing. After a couple medal-less days for GB, almost all of the Aussie press (particularly the Herald Sun) were having field day mocking the GB team and gloating at their couple of early golds. Love it.

Yep that silence runs all the way from the media down to the little loud mouthed battler on the shop floor.They really dont like it .And I love giving it to em...

Australia on 09:29 - Aug 5 with 1786 viewsPommyhoop

Australia on 09:26 - Aug 5 by Lewes_r

My pom mate living in Brisbane is getting frustrated because they basically arent showing much of the olympics. ie only showing events they are doing well in ( not many)

But then again we are quite spoiled by our massive coverage this time around
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

That can be true mate.Thats why Ive been watching on Fox .We got 8 channels of Olympics.If you aint got Fox good luck because channel 9 dont like showing much if an Aussie isnt taking part..

Australia on 09:37 - Aug 5 with 1767 viewsPommyhoop

Australia on 09:29 - Aug 5 by Pommyhoop

That can be true mate.Thats why Ive been watching on Fox .We got 8 channels of Olympics.If you aint got Fox good luck because channel 9 dont like showing much if an Aussie isnt taking part..

To give you an example of their partizan reporting: A couple of years ago some big Golf tounament was on .British Open or The Masters (I'm not into golf at all)
My work mate at the time was well into Golf (scottish fella) and turned up the radio when the sports bit came on.
The report went ((Aussi fellas name)) is doing really well in The Masters He is currently in 11th place .In front of him are 10 other fellas.
Couldnt believe it...

Australia on 09:39 - Aug 5 with 1758 viewsJamie

Too busy getting shitfaced and smashing up Surrey.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/londonspy/aussie-rower-sent-home-over-drunke
Australia on 09:45 - Aug 5 with 1732 viewsreal_loftus

The Russians have been pretty poor as well

ATAF.

Australia on 09:54 - Aug 5 with 1708 viewsaussiehoop

Contrary to popular belief, Fosters isn't really sold here... It's near impossible to get it any pub, bar or bottle shop. I got back from London last night and am already missing the cheap booze!

Anyways olympic wise. From what I've seen today, most of the media seem to be pretty down to earth with the whole thing. No unreal expectations apart from the swimming. What I've been getting is that it's recognised that most countries have got a hell of a lot better, whilst we've stayed the same. Whilst no one remembers the losers, we do have quite a few silver and bronze... close but no cigar i guess.

There's a lot of public money chucked into the AIS (australian institute of sport) so I'd expect to see a better showing next time round.

We can all have off days sometimes :)
Australia on 10:03 - Aug 5 with 1684 viewsOakwoodR

Australia on 09:54 - Aug 5 by aussiehoop

Contrary to popular belief, Fosters isn't really sold here... It's near impossible to get it any pub, bar or bottle shop. I got back from London last night and am already missing the cheap booze!

Anyways olympic wise. From what I've seen today, most of the media seem to be pretty down to earth with the whole thing. No unreal expectations apart from the swimming. What I've been getting is that it's recognised that most countries have got a hell of a lot better, whilst we've stayed the same. Whilst no one remembers the losers, we do have quite a few silver and bronze... close but no cigar i guess.

There's a lot of public money chucked into the AIS (australian institute of sport) so I'd expect to see a better showing next time round.

We can all have off days sometimes :)

The AIS was always brought up as the way forward for UK sport over the last 10 - 15 years. Us and other countries have adopted the successful way the Aussies did things and have somewhat surpassed them in the same way that when Wenger came to Arsenal, he introduced new training methods and ideas which were successful and are now used by most other clubs who have caught up and surpassed Arsenal.
Australia on 10:15 - Aug 5 with 1654 viewsJonDoeman

Good to hear, smug git's.

It Is What It Is !!

Australia on 10:35 - Aug 5 with 1621 viewsOzhoop

There are a number of reasons. I think the main problem has been they all believe their own bllsht and think they only have to turn up to collect the gold. Some seem to be in London for a holiday and the piss-on once they get their event out of the way. Some have been sat up on Facebook and twitter when they should be resting before their event, talking up how they will win. They've lacked focus and haven't learnt from early mistakes. The media here have been making all kinds of excuses. Others are cheating e.g dolphin kicks in the swimming. Others are on drugs. The Brits are unsporting. The Crowd have been "one-eyed" and aggressive to other nations. Some Brits aren't actually Brits and shouldn't be competing. Think of an excuse and the media have used it. Personally I've found it incredibly entertaining. I got so much sht after the first couple of days and they'd won their only gold in the swimming. Now no-one at work wants to talk about it anymore. Love it.
Australia on 10:45 - Aug 5 with 1603 viewsHoopstar

To be fair part of the reason is if you look at the our coaches and a number of other more successful countries a decent proportion of them are Aussies who are being paid more by other countries.
Australia on 11:21 - Aug 5 with 1551 viewsMonahoop

Ozhoop - some Brits aren't Brits and shouldn't be competing...

Well that's rich coming from a country which apart from the indigenous Aborigines is made up of entirely mixed race and ancestral peoples. More mongrel than the Brits and Yanks. Bigger whingers than the Brits that's for sure.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Australia on 11:29 - Aug 5 with 1529 viewsak68

A lot of attention has focussed on the Aussie performance because they love to dish it out but are very poor at taking it. As mentioned by others they outperformed for years and now the rest have caught up.

I'm more intrigued by the poor showing of the Russians. The old USSR rivalled USA but its breakup obviously affected it but that was 20 years ago. The Russian economy has been booming for years due to commodity prices yet a nation of 150 million has performed badly. I'm sure that the anti-doping regime has made life harder for the old eastern bloc and nothing breeds success as success itself does.

I don't know but maybe they relied too much on the state controlling their athletes from cradle to gold. Maybe the oligarchs have ripped off all the wealth and left nothing for the people. Maybe sports funding is being diverted to the 2018 World Cup or to Putin's new palace.

Australia on 11:30 - Aug 5 with 1527 viewsJonDoeman

Australia on 11:21 - Aug 5 by Monahoop

Ozhoop - some Brits aren't Brits and shouldn't be competing...

Well that's rich coming from a country which apart from the indigenous Aborigines is made up of entirely mixed race and ancestral peoples. More mongrel than the Brits and Yanks. Bigger whingers than the Brits that's for sure.

Whinging Ozzies!

It Is What It Is !!

Australia on 12:10 - Aug 5 with 1455 viewsSnipper

I spent a year in Australia back in 1989/90. The Aussies only care about 3 things: Sport, beer and sex. Put those 3 in any order and you'd find a contented Aussie. They care massively about their sport. What's happening in these Olympics will hurt them and will dent their pride.
When we won numerous golds in cycling & rowing in Beijing, they slated us for dominating at these sports. Not a word was said when they dominated in the swimming pool. They kicked our arse for years at most sports. Now with the lottery funding coming to fruition, we're starting to come back as a serious competing nation.
They hated it when we started beating them at cricket. Channel 9 over there was so arrogant, that they thought it was a waste of time showing the 2005 Ashes series over here as they thought it was going to be a stroll for Australia. They gave the rights for that series to the SBS channel. (Channel 5 over here, but far smaller)

In my time over there I learnt one thing. They whinge more than us.

ATAF.
Australia on 12:19 - Aug 5 with 1436 viewsqprmick

No Thorpe, no Hacket, no Perkins, no Suzie O'neill. Nobody had stepped up to take their place. In the pool the Aussies have usually got lots of gold, only silver this time. They will be back, never fear.

Qprmick

Australia on 12:27 - Aug 5 with 1408 viewsTheBlob

But it's remarkable though isn't it how the Aussies transformed themselves into a sporting nation(especially in the pool)what with having all those balls and chains attached?
I think they should be loudly applauded for their fortitude.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024