Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Goalscorer? 20:13 - Aug 25 with 1204 viewsRabbram10

Now we've proven that the only thing missing in our play is that 20 goal a season striker!
So Nigel lets go out and get him in this week & let's have the fans buzzing as well as the players?
With that said, Well done today lads it's about time we scored one in injury time rather than the usual throwing it away, credit were credit is due!
Goalscorer? on 19:28 - Aug 26 with 1183 viewspkay_brum

According to Dean Sturridge, interviewed on Radio Derby a few nights back, Nathan Tyson is going to be Derby's big goalscorer.

He even labelled Ty a 20-goal man.

I have no idea how he deduces that. Ten goals maximum from Tyson, I'd say - and that would bust his career stats wide open!

Prepare for a season with three or four 'top scorers' who finish on 6 goals apiece, led by Jake Buxton, I presume......
Goalscorer? on 10:11 - Aug 27 with 1166 viewspaulredf58

Goalscorer? on 19:28 - Aug 26 by pkay_brum

According to Dean Sturridge, interviewed on Radio Derby a few nights back, Nathan Tyson is going to be Derby's big goalscorer.

He even labelled Ty a 20-goal man.

I have no idea how he deduces that. Ten goals maximum from Tyson, I'd say - and that would bust his career stats wide open!

Prepare for a season with three or four 'top scorers' who finish on 6 goals apiece, led by Jake Buxton, I presume......

When I found out about Sturridge's remarks, I too reacted with astonishment. It is quite clear the man knows nothing about football. On the other hand, I have watched it many years, both live and on the TV and can claim to have a thorough knowledge of the game. I am therefore eminiently more able to pass judgement than Mr Sturridge.
Goalscorer? on 12:47 - Aug 27 with 1155 viewspkay_brum

Goalscorer? on 10:11 - Aug 27 by paulredf58

When I found out about Sturridge's remarks, I too reacted with astonishment. It is quite clear the man knows nothing about football. On the other hand, I have watched it many years, both live and on the TV and can claim to have a thorough knowledge of the game. I am therefore eminiently more able to pass judgement than Mr Sturridge.

Most ironic, I'm sure.

Deano is a Rams' legend, and entitled to his opinion - though some who actually watched Tyson (when he was fit, or half-fit) performances in 2011-12 might also have a more informed opinion of Tyson's true goalscoring prowess.

Ty's track record is undeniably poor, even in his best spells with the Trees.

To label Nathan as Derby's '20-goal man' is wildy off-beam, full stop - though if he stays fit and in favour, he *should* create a fair few chances for the team.

We still need someone to actually stick the chances away. Theo has the best track record and Jake Buxton is the bravest in the penalty area.

Ohh yes, we do have Conor Sammon...all good luck to the new boy!

Goalscorer? on 15:26 - Aug 27 with 1151 viewsdavram

Well, we all have our individual self-perceptions of our respective knowledge of football, to which each of us is entitled.

If one thinks another is deluded, so what? I don't think a crime is involved.

We can form our own opinions through many channels - just from statistics, match reports, actually attending games that inform our own retrospective appraisal of particular games and players, the career records of players, whether we rate the present manager, perhaps mainly from a perceived characteristic of our team over recent periods and so on, ad infinitum.

Individuals will apply such influencing elements in their own unique way, won't they? That's what makes message boards tick like this one, I'd say - and I enjoy the opinions banter that such factors ultimately generate on here.

So, to return to the topic in hand, and not seeking to attack anyone for their equally valid opinion, I'd say that the Rams do seem to have developed the characteristic of being goal-shy over recent times, and that this is an important factor that has cost the team points and games during Clough's ongoing team-building process.

The conspiracy theorists might say that a top-rate striker who could actually bang them in Zak-like for the Rams would push the team towards the Prem and then require the sort of investment demands that GSE won't respond to, but that's another thread...

Anyone attending recent games will probably acknowledge that if the team was able to convert a higher proportion of the chances they create, we'd certainly still be in the thingy Cup and have more League points.

Conor Sammon has been brought in to do that job, and we await his progress. Given his career record and experience, I'd also doubt whether he is our 20-goal a season man. I do hope he proves the doubters like me wrong, though!

Tyson seems to be a confidence player, somewhat similar to many I've seen over the years (and I'd count Sturridge amongst that number), and is presently immune to criticism from Clough, unlike some of his colleagues.

I'd also say that, given Tyson's rather marginal contribution to the Rams cause thus far, Clough's approach is laudable and displays patience - though he is certainly not consistent in how he meters out praise and blame (great Tom Jones album, that) - especially when results disappoint.

Just taking stats from the last match (at Wolves), the Rams had 58% posession, had 11 vs 3 shots on target, 3 more corners, etc, with the Wolves goalie in great form - but only got out of jail to equalise in the 93rd minute. A good performance, but still lacking that elusive killer touch.

Players like Tyson, Sammon, Theo & Jamie need to gain confidence from scoring goals. As the team bonds & gains experience, the belief as a team will grow and we might even see a touch of that arrogance and ruthlessness that the great Rams teams of the past displayed - obvious examples being those developed by Clough senior, Mackay and Jim Smith's late 90's Prem team.

We can dream on.....

[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Goalscorer? on 17:17 - Aug 27 with 1146 viewspkay_brum

Goalscorer? on 10:11 - Aug 27 by paulredf58

Mr Sturridge also extolled the virtues of our American star striker, Conor Doyle.

In the years he's been Derby's token American superstar, I honestly can't recall a single moment of excitement or significant play from him.

We've seen some stunning quality and great finishing from this guy - but that's just his neat quiff styling and the care taken to keep that nice kit tidy and unspoilt!

Seeing Doyle up close in training years ago as a keen kid (as perhaps Deano has) doesn't really translate to Championship quality, it appears on the evidence.

Great if Doyle eventually cuts it, but we hardly need ex-players to talk things up given our recent 'achievements'!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024