Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Free Dale books 06:00 - Oct 11 with 1406 viewsColDale

Rochdale fan and author Mark Hodkinson has contacted the site to make Dale fans aware that his books on Dale are now available free of charge.

The books(Believe in the Sign and Spotland: The Sun Also Rises) and his novel set in Rochdale, The Last Mad Search of Youth, are now available FREE from Pomona Books - http://www.pomonauk.com/shop/store.php

The only charge is a nominal amount to cover postage. Also available is the novel Down the Figure 7 (again set in Rochdale) by another Dale-supporting author, Trevor Hoyle (he of Rule of Night fame) and a football book by Hunter Davies.

Mark said: "These books are what were left in the warehouse after the intial sales. Usually such books are remaindered which means they're distributed all round the country and sold cheaply. I'd rather them go to Dale fans who I hope will appreciate them more."
Free Dale books on 06:54 - Oct 11 with 1390 viewsfrenzied

great offer..got the first 2 previously so just ordered the third..well worth a read
Free Dale books on 10:52 - Oct 11 with 1282 viewsSuddenLad

They are all worth having and I would recommend anyone with a Dale interest gets them whilst they can.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Free Dale books on 12:56 - Oct 11 with 1218 viewsBrighouseDale

I've only read Mark's first book but thought it was superb, I think I read it from cover to cover on a hotel balcony in about three hours- couldn't put it down! I'd say you don't even have to be a die-hard Dale fan to enjoy the book, a lot of it is just about coming of age in a Northern town during the 70s and 80s. Well worth an order.

I am the resurrection and I am the light.

Free Dale books on 13:33 - Oct 11 with 1179 viewsSheffdale

I have enjoyed Mark's books - read Believe in the Sign and the Sun Also Rises. Believe in the Sign better I thought as the Sun Also Rises included what I saw as filler pieces from his journalist's work. I have just ordered Mark's novel and Trevor Hoyle's Down the Figure 7 for winter holiday reading. Thanks to Mark via the site.
Free Dale books on 13:44 - Oct 11 with 1165 viewsdeezel

even as a BURY fan i found the Believe in the Sign book a bloody good read, i've also read the Last Mad Surge of Youth and both are well worth buying for just a bit of postage

btw..this is the best football related book i've ever read..."My Father and Other Working Class Football Heroes" by Gary Imlach
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Free Dale books on 14:22 - Oct 11 with 1137 viewsregjenkins

Thanks Col, just ordered a couple..

' I started out with nothing and i still got most of it left'

Free Dale books on 14:26 - Oct 11 with 1131 viewsYadHoDale

I've read MH's books. My personal opinion is that the Dale pair are pleasant but anodyne. The novel, however, is excellent and well worth a read.

"Deezel" is quite right about the Imlach book - high quality writing and a most interesting story.

For light relief, Stan Ternent's autobiography is well worth a look.
Free Dale books on 15:22 - Oct 11 with 1106 viewsSheffdale

The Imlach one now added to holiday reading list! What a source of inspiration you all are.
Login to get fewer ads

Free Dale books on 19:46 - Oct 11 with 980 viewsRammyDale

Thanks a lot for this post, Col.

Already have the Mark Hodkinson books, a must read for all football fans and not just Dale fans, and a couple of other Pomona titles. Rule of Night has an exellent chapter where a group of Dale fans go to Luton for an awayday and to cause trouble (wont spoil it by saying anything more but well worth reading for anyone from Rochdale)

Some other great writers in there also including Barry 'Kes' Hines and Hunter Davies. Guess I wont be gracing Waterstones with my presence for a few weeks now
Free Dale books on 19:49 - Oct 11 with 975 viewsRammyDale

Free Dale books on 13:44 - Oct 11 by deezel

even as a BURY fan i found the Believe in the Sign book a bloody good read, i've also read the Last Mad Surge of Youth and both are well worth buying for just a bit of postage

btw..this is the best football related book i've ever read..."My Father and Other Working Class Football Heroes" by Gary Imlach

Not often I agree with a Bury but this really is an excellent read

The Gary Imlach book that is, not Deezils post
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024