Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Maidstone United 03:14 - Feb 18 with 10514 viewsSonofNorfolt

popped down to the Ryman Second division on Saturday for the Kent County town's match against Burgess Hill.
Attendance, a shoddy 1912. This is effectively division 8!
Poor game though.
Many will be pleased to know that my companion, Le Coq Noir, aka, Mr A. Sharp is alive & kicking, if teetotal,ish.
Maidstone United on 10:30 - Feb 18 with 10385 viewsMoonshineSteve

Teetotal?

Bolox.

I am still Steve but no longer in Dagenham.

Maidstone United on 11:18 - Feb 18 with 10342 viewsbishom

Went to the game myself and was very impressed with the set up there.
The ground has a great location in the heart of the town centre with easy access to local pubs and eateries. the mainline station is a 5min walk away and the M20 3min up the road.
The 3G artificial pitch was immaculate and played very well and although the stands aren`t that large I understand the footings are all in place to expand them as hopefully the club grows.
The attendance was outstanding for a club at this level, a gate of 1900 compared to league average of 365.
Spitfire beer was on tap throughout the game at £3 a pop and you could have a beer at pitch side. Entrance fee was £10.
The football was absolute Shite but it`s good to see The Stones finally back where they belong and looking like they are going from strength to strength.

Bishom

Maidstone United on 11:22 - Feb 18 with 10335 viewsAntti_Heinola

11 good men in a football team makes a team of great renown.
Black and gold are the colours they were and they play for Maidstone town.
Maidstone have the cream
In Kent's best football team
Stones, Stones come on you Stones let's have a winner today
Stones, Stones, let's have you Stones, whether we're home or away
Let's have some goals, bags of lovely goals, don't let the other lot win
Oh, Maidstone United! Let's bang another one in!

Or words to that effect. Who remembers John Bartley, eh? 58 goals, including 7 hat-tricks, back in 82-83.

Bare bones.

Maidstone United on 11:26 - Feb 18 with 10332 viewswestolian

1912 ?!

Some teams in Div 2 would be happy with that

I've found a team sheet for the weekend - anyone interested ?

Maidstone United on 12:18 - Feb 18 with 10275 viewsRickyDicky

Maidstone United on 11:22 - Feb 18 by Antti_Heinola

Maidstone have the cream

Or words to that effect. Who remembers John Bartley, eh? 58 goals, including 7 hat-tricks, back in 82-83.

John Bartley, rememeber him well. We played in the same Primary school team, Brampton Road in Bexleyheath. Remember at school him scoring his 100th when Pele scored his 1000th ! He played at Welling United for a while too.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Poll: Where will we finish next Year. Starting early.

Maidstone United on 12:22 - Feb 18 with 10266 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Spitfire £3? Splendid.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Maidstone United on 13:14 - Feb 18 with 10197 viewsTheBlob

Maidstone United on 11:22 - Feb 18 by Antti_Heinola

Maidstone have the cream

I remember John Bartley.Scored a lot for Welling.Ended up at Millwall where they played him as a winger.
Bet you don't remember his great goal scoring rival of the time,Butch Dunn.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Maidstone United on 13:37 - Feb 18 with 10155 viewsmacro

Maidstone United on 11:26 - Feb 18 by westolian

1912 ?!

Accy are struggling to get 1200

1900 I think is larger than their average attendance
Login to get fewer ads

Maidstone United on 13:40 - Feb 18 with 10150 viewss1cRanger

I went a couple of weeks ago to see them play Leatherhead. Again not a great game but the ground and astro is in good nick/attendance.

Enjoy taking a pint in the stands and freezing my ass off. Good to support a local side, really hope they start to climb the leagues now..

Seems that there are a few QPR fans dotted around the Kentish countryside.
Maidstone United on 15:32 - Feb 18 with 10083 viewssmegma

Maidstone United on 11:26 - Feb 18 by westolian

1912 ?!

In the scottish leagues thats a full house.
Maidstone United on 16:15 - Feb 18 with 10052 viewsLimehouseR

But the big question is...

Do you reckon we could get a 0-0 draw off them?
Maidstone United on 17:54 - Feb 18 with 10006 viewsAntti_Heinola

Maidstone United on 13:14 - Feb 18 by TheBlob

I remember John Bartley.Scored a lot for Welling.Ended up at Millwall where they played him as a winger.
Bet you don't remember his great goal scoring rival of the time,Butch Dunn.

Think he was at Millwall before Stones, but no I don't remember Butch Dunn! Bartley was a bit of a fatty, but was lightning over about 3 yards and was an incredible finisher. Dickie Guy in goal - classic. Of course, back then Stones had Frank Ovard on the wing - a superb old fashioned winger and also the best diver in the world. Billy Hughes was ace in midfield, too, although his was a wasted career. At 15 at Gillingham it looked like the world was at his feet.

And, whisper it, Derek Richardson was great at that level. Not fondly remembered by QPR fans, though.

Bare bones.

Maidstone United on 18:11 - Feb 18 with 9987 viewsTheBlob

Maidstone United on 17:54 - Feb 18 by Antti_Heinola

Think he was at Millwall before Stones, but no I don't remember Butch Dunn! Bartley was a bit of a fatty, but was lightning over about 3 yards and was an incredible finisher. Dickie Guy in goal - classic. Of course, back then Stones had Frank Ovard on the wing - a superb old fashioned winger and also the best diver in the world. Billy Hughes was ace in midfield, too, although his was a wasted career. At 15 at Gillingham it looked like the world was at his feet.

And, whisper it, Derek Richardson was great at that level. Not fondly remembered by QPR fans, though.

That's one of the things I miss about living in Wales,the Kent non-leagues....Bromley,Cray Wanderers,Stones,Dartford,Gravesend....used to watch an awful lot when R's weren't in town.
Butch Dunn was aprolific striker with Bromley,around late seventies,brilliant Rodney Marsh-esque player.I even recommended him to Chris Geiler at R's once,but he reckoned he was no better than what they had already.
Bartley was a cracker - little fat f*ck so he wasLike another one who came down to Cray from Chester City - Phil Williams.Shit off a golden shovel over 10 yards the pair of them.

Good stuff,hope the Stones do well.Happy memories of London Road and Watling Street.Tony Pamphlett and Smokey Gall.

Maidstone United on 22:57 - Feb 18 with 9890 viewsAntti_Heinola

Maidstone United on 18:11 - Feb 18 by TheBlob

That's one of the things I miss about living in Wales,the Kent non-leagues....Bromley,Cray Wanderers,Stones,Dartford,Gravesend....used to watch an awful lot when R's weren't in town.
Butch Dunn was aprolific striker with Bromley,around late seventies,brilliant Rodney Marsh-esque player.I even recommended him to Chris Geiler at R's once,but he reckoned he was no better than what they had already.
Bartley was a cracker - little fat f*ck so he wasLike another one who came down to Cray from Chester City - Phil Williams.Shit off a golden shovel over 10 yards the pair of them.

Good stuff,hope the Stones do well.Happy memories of London Road and Watling Street.Tony Pamphlett and Smokey Gall.

Smokey. What a player. him and Butler up front, 53 league goals between them ion the old div 4. Unstoppable combo, despite the fact that Smokey never passed the ball in his life.

Bare bones.

Maidstone United on 00:37 - Feb 19 with 9864 viewsTheBlob

Maidstone United on 22:57 - Feb 18 by Antti_Heinola

Smokey. What a player. him and Butler up front, 53 league goals between them ion the old div 4. Unstoppable combo, despite the fact that Smokey never passed the ball in his life.

Used to go and see see Smokey when he played for Greenwich Borough in the Kent League.They started him out on the wing because of his pace.
Always was a bit of a lippy c*nt though.Ended up playing for Brighton I seem to remember.Might actually have done a job for R's,you can't teach platers pace,either you've got it or you ain't

Maidstone United on 08:52 - Feb 19 with 9832 viewsAntti_Heinola

Maidstone United on 00:37 - Feb 19 by TheBlob

Used to go and see see Smokey when he played for Greenwich Borough in the Kent League.They started him out on the wing because of his pace.
Always was a bit of a lippy c*nt though.Ended up playing for Brighton I seem to remember.Might actually have done a job for R's,you can't teach platers pace,either you've got it or you ain't

It is a weird one, Smokey. Believe he played with Ian Wright at Greenwich Borough didn't he? That would have been some front line.
He went to Brighton, was player of the season and got a load of goals, then did his ankle and then, from what I've heard, disappeared completely. Real mystery.

Bare bones.

Maidstone United on 09:02 - Feb 19 with 9823 viewsdolcelatte

Maidstone United on 08:52 - Feb 19 by Antti_Heinola

It is a weird one, Smokey. Believe he played with Ian Wright at Greenwich Borough didn't he? That would have been some front line.
He went to Brighton, was player of the season and got a load of goals, then did his ankle and then, from what I've heard, disappeared completely. Real mystery.

He was called Smokey for a reason! Always wondered how someone "under the influence" could score so many goals....

Poll: Are you sick of people asking if you are sick of polls?

Maidstone United on 09:19 - Feb 19 with 9817 viewsSharpy

Maidstone United on 10:30 - Feb 18 by MoonshineSteve

Teetotal?

Bolox.

Tis true Steven, gazza could take a leaf out of my book.

Enjoyed your company Mel.

Indeed a great crowd, 1700 is our average this season, Maidstone are the 14th best supported non league team in England and Wales.God only knows where we would have been had the stadium been built some 20 years ago instead of going on a nomadic tour of Kent.
I have read somewhere that that piece of land could hold a capacity of 8000, how true that is i`m not sure as in effect it would be a 3 sided stadium with the river Medway running down one side.

Once you`ve had black, you never go back !

Maidstone United on 10:37 - Feb 19 with 9791 viewsMoonshineSteve

Antibiotics?

I am still Steve but no longer in Dagenham.

Maidstone United on 11:43 - Feb 19 with 9768 viewsTheBlob

Maidstone United on 08:52 - Feb 19 by Antti_Heinola

Went back to work in the family bakery,somewhere in Sarf London.Ian Wright was playing for Greenwich Borough a few years earlier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Gall

Maidstone United on 14:19 - Feb 19 with 9732 viewsAntti_Heinola

Maidstone United on 09:02 - Feb 19 by dolcelatte

He was called Smokey for a reason! Always wondered how someone "under the influence" could score so many goals....

Those were unsubstantiated rumours! ;)

Bare bones.

Maidstone United on 14:24 - Feb 19 with 9729 viewsAntti_Heinola

Maidstone United on 11:43 - Feb 19 by TheBlob

Went back to work in the family bakery,somewhere in Sarf London.Ian Wright was playing for Greenwich Borough a few years earlier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Gall

pretty sure they did play together before Wright went to Palace? They are exactly the same age. I remember Bill Williams, Maidstone's General Manager and former team manager, telling me this. could be wrong though. the stat at the end of that - 31 goals in 85 league games for Maidstone seems iffy to me...

Bare bones.

Maidstone United on 17:46 - Feb 19 with 9685 viewsTheBlob

Maidstone United on 14:24 - Feb 19 by Antti_Heinola

pretty sure they did play together before Wright went to Palace? They are exactly the same age. I remember Bill Williams, Maidstone's General Manager and former team manager, telling me this. could be wrong though. the stat at the end of that - 31 goals in 85 league games for Maidstone seems iffy to me...

Must have been brief,don't remember seeing him playing.Will ask a few non league mates....Greenwich Borough were always a bit of an agg side,so Wrighty would have fitted in.Just looked him up - went to Palace in'85 in exchange ofr a set of weights.Lots of deals around like that at the time.We used to see this lanky geezer called Tony Cascarino playing for Crockenhill,and Sky Blue Kestrels on Sundays,went to Gills for a set of tracksuits in 1981.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024