Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Model for a football club 14:57 - Dec 21 with 5039 viewsrockin

I think the interesting parallels between Cardiff and ourselves emphasise the need for some regulation of football clubs.

As many know I'm a massive advocate of safe standing at grounds but to add to the mix I believe it should in place that a percentage of a football club, possibly 20% or so must be owned locally.

As football because more business driven, it needs to be treated like an industry and therefore it needs protecting from itself. Our model is wonderful and we should be a lesson to all.
Model for a football club on 19:05 - Dec 21 with 1143 viewsUxbridge

Model for a football club on 18:59 - Dec 21 by Davillin

Please excuse my having offered this before.

In the States, in each sport, the league vets a prospective buyer/owner, and does it in depth with considerable energy. No league approval, no purchase.

And no Vincent Tans.

That happens here too. Sadly the FA and PL do not do their job very well.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Model for a football club on 19:07 - Dec 21 with 1136 viewsUxbridge

Model for a football club on 18:58 - Dec 21 by bermudajack

I wonder (if it was indeed possible) what kind of response they would get if our trust proposed to the rest of the SCFC Board that they buy a minimum of 51% of the total shares to safeguard the future of the club ?

I hope the Trust could at least get to 25%. I'd feel a lot happier if we had that protection. 50% +1 would be a dream though.

Model for a football club on 22:55 - Dec 21 with 1081 viewsTownhill_Hilton

Model for a football club on 15:06 - Dec 21 by monmouth

Not in control, as custodians with a veto. But yeah....maybe not Swansea council....

Our model is already the perfect one for any club.
Fans owned 20 per cent - Businesses owned by people with the club's interest at heart - and fans themselves, the rest.
Then you live within your means, develop local players when you can, and you develop a culture and style, hiring managers (and players) that suit and adhere to it.
It's called having a game plan.
Simples really
Model for a football club on 23:01 - Dec 21 with 1075 viewsreddythered

Model for a football club on 22:55 - Dec 21 by Townhill_Hilton

Our model is already the perfect one for any club.
Fans owned 20 per cent - Businesses owned by people with the club's interest at heart - and fans themselves, the rest.
Then you live within your means, develop local players when you can, and you develop a culture and style, hiring managers (and players) that suit and adhere to it.
It's called having a game plan.
Simples really

Which is a great model IF it can be achieved and works.

I'd wager that whilst it's obviously working for you guys, most adopting a similar model wil fail. Needs a perfect storm of situation, people to work.

Poll: 94th minute; Medel does Charlie Adam, causing a career ending injury. Do you..

Model for a football club on 00:58 - Dec 22 with 1038 viewsDavillin

Model for a football club on 23:01 - Dec 21 by reddythered

Which is a great model IF it can be achieved and works.

I'd wager that whilst it's obviously working for you guys, most adopting a similar model wil fail. Needs a perfect storm of situation, people to work.

No, it requires will, the right people, and the opportunity. Any club that has the first two can manufacture, or at least instigate, the opportunity. The latter specifically happened by driving Tony Petty out completely against his will. It wasn't pretty, but it was effective. [I joined the chants of "We Want Petty OUT" in the away ends at Exeter and Cheltenham, by the way.]

I guess ya had to be there. For Swansea, it was a matter of facing what seemed a string of impossible barriers, then just buckling up and banging forward. Ifs, ands, buts, maybes, and what ifs, were simply not tolerated.

I was not there in person throughout the whole thing, but I did my share from a distance; and I was - and am - damm proud of those who did the bull work on the ground, and deeply grateful to them.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Model for a football club on 01:06 - Dec 22 with 1032 viewsUxbridge

Model for a football club on 00:58 - Dec 22 by Davillin

No, it requires will, the right people, and the opportunity. Any club that has the first two can manufacture, or at least instigate, the opportunity. The latter specifically happened by driving Tony Petty out completely against his will. It wasn't pretty, but it was effective. [I joined the chants of "We Want Petty OUT" in the away ends at Exeter and Cheltenham, by the way.]

I guess ya had to be there. For Swansea, it was a matter of facing what seemed a string of impossible barriers, then just buckling up and banging forward. Ifs, ands, buts, maybes, and what ifs, were simply not tolerated.

I was not there in person throughout the whole thing, but I did my share from a distance; and I was - and am - damm proud of those who did the bull work on the ground, and deeply grateful to them.

Amen. There has to be the stomach for the fight and we had it in 2002. I've seen scant evidence the same feeling exists in CF1.

Model for a football club on 02:06 - Dec 22 with 1020 viewsTownhill_Hilton

Model for a football club on 01:06 - Dec 22 by Uxbridge

Amen. There has to be the stomach for the fight and we had it in 2002. I've seen scant evidence the same feeling exists in CF1.

You have to be prepared to start from absolute scratch like we did - from 92 in the league and no money in the kitty. But we have shown it can be done - and to say it is a perfect storm of circumstances is missing the point.
The harder you work, the luckier you become.
Model for a football club on 05:08 - Dec 22 with 1010 viewsQuakerJack

In the States, in each sport, the league vets a prospective buyer/owner, and does it in depth with considerable energy. No league approval, no purchase.

And no Vincent Tans.

I agree that should be put into place following the long long line of maniacs clubs have had.

Although just remember.... no Vincent Tans means not amusement for us

Poll: Some scummer on the anus board reckons 80% of us want them to go down. so... do

Login to get fewer ads

Model for a football club on 07:14 - Dec 22 with 999 viewssomersetsimon

And no Vincent Tans.

So, in a situation like Cardiff, the club is £100M in debt and about to fold and there is only one person who will bail them out. If the league think he is unsuitable, do they just let the club die?
Model for a football club on 08:56 - Dec 22 with 977 viewsQuakerJack

Model for a football club on 07:14 - Dec 22 by somersetsimon

So, in a situation like Cardiff, the club is £100M in debt and about to fold and there is only one person who will bail them out. If the league think he is unsuitable, do they just let the club die?

Hopefully no club would get into such a position with this in place. The trouble is that there's always a chance even the best or most sound minded with the best intentions would cock it up. I think it's a good idea in principle but then making comparisons between here and the states is like comparing apples and pears

Poll: Some scummer on the anus board reckons 80% of us want them to go down. so... do

Model for a football club on 10:57 - Dec 22 with 957 viewsUxbridge

Model for a football club on 02:06 - Dec 22 by Townhill_Hilton

You have to be prepared to start from absolute scratch like we did - from 92 in the league and no money in the kitty. But we have shown it can be done - and to say it is a perfect storm of circumstances is missing the point.
The harder you work, the luckier you become.

Largely agree. In the long term, Portsmouth will be the better for all this.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024