Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
2 Welsh Prem Sides 18:58 - Mar 1 with 1698 viewsAl_Bundy

A lot of talk last season was this was good for Welsh football, so has it been so far?

Palace could have more Welsh players playing tomorrow than us.
2 Welsh Prem Sides on 19:07 - Mar 1 with 1652 viewsTheFranchise

We have 4 senior internationals in our side, not too shabby on our part.
2 Welsh Prem Sides on 19:18 - Mar 1 with 1623 viewsWhiterockin

Cardiff media say it is good for Welsh football to have 2 Welsh clubs in the Premier League.

What they really mean is.

It is good for Cardiff to have a second Welsh Premier League team.

Enjoy the next two months because it will be a very long time before you see it again. When the scum go down they are going to drop like a stone.

Poll: As things stand are you going to vote in the General Election

2 Welsh Prem Sides on 20:30 - Mar 1 with 1489 viewsCatullus

I've never really subscribed to that theory anyway. With neither team exactly fully laden with Welsh players, how was it good?
We have 4 which is ok I suppose, but there was a time when we had 7/8/9 senior Welsh internationals in our squad and several juniors too.
As far as the argument goes, the Premier league hasn't been good for British international football as a whole. Why having two Welsh teams there should be different for us, I can't work out.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

2 Welsh Prem Sides on 21:22 - Mar 1 with 1407 viewsScoobyWho

2 Welsh Prem Sides on 19:18 - Mar 1 by Whiterockin

Cardiff media say it is good for Welsh football to have 2 Welsh clubs in the Premier League.

Enjoy the next two months because it will be a very long time before you see it again. When the scum go down they are going to drop like a stone.

They are the second welsh premier team, they should be proud.

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

2 Welsh Prem Sides on 21:50 - Mar 1 with 1355 viewsCaptain

2 Welsh Prem Sides on 21:22 - Mar 1 by ScoobyWho

They are the second welsh premier team, they should be proud.

Must be good for our youth and getting young fans to support us. I'm only 23 and even when I was in school everyone still supported the big clubs, can only remember two boys who only supported Swansea. Now, all those guys who supported Liverpool and Arsenal go watch Swansea every week. Be good to have kids supporting Swansea from the beginning, though.

https://www.facebook.com/canadianswans A facebook page for Swansea City fans in Canada. Please like, share and spread the word!

2 Welsh Prem Sides on 22:07 - Mar 1 with 1319 viewsjacksinceever

2 Welsh Prem Sides on 21:50 - Mar 1 by Captain

Must be good for our youth and getting young fans to support us. I'm only 23 and even when I was in school everyone still supported the big clubs, can only remember two boys who only supported Swansea. Now, all those guys who supported Liverpool and Arsenal go watch Swansea every week. Be good to have kids supporting Swansea from the beginning, though.

When you look at it with a sensible head and not with anti-Cardiff or anti-Swansea bias, it is great that many local youngsters in South Wales are wearing Swansea and Cardiff shirts, rather than shirts of other British or even European sides.
Also the fact that the big clubs are playing in Wales so frequently during the year is a great opportunity for many to see the EPL at first hand, rather than on TV, down the pub or having to travel to England to see it.
The extra money that away fans bring into Wales is also a boost for our economy.
2 Welsh Prem Sides on 09:41 - Mar 2 with 1181 viewsjohnlangy

2 Welsh Prem Sides on 19:18 - Mar 1 by Whiterockin

' drop like a stone' ?

We can but hope. Only as far as the Conference though without going out of existence. Am I being too nice ?
2 Welsh Prem Sides on 10:16 - Mar 2 with 1143 viewsCatullus

2 Welsh Prem Sides on 22:07 - Mar 1 by jacksinceever

When you look at it with a sensible head and not with anti-Cardiff or anti-Swansea bias, it is great that many local youngsters in South Wales are wearing Swansea and Cardiff shirts, rather than shirts of other British or even European sides.
Also the fact that the big clubs are playing in Wales so frequently during the year is a great opportunity for many to see the EPL at first hand, rather than on TV, down the pub or having to travel to England to see it.
The extra money that away fans bring into Wales is also a boost for our economy.

But that is missing the point somewhat. Yes it's good for both clubs to grow support, yes it's good for the economy. But what real good is it to Welsh football?
Does the national side gain? Do the Welsh league sides gain? Does grassroots football gain?
I think the answer to those 3 questions is a resounding no. Indeed smaller clubs have been shown to suffer as young players heads are turned as soon as a Premier clubs shows even the slightest interest. Our national side has been missing key players at managers whims (apparently) and Giggs is a prime example. Grassroots football in Swansea has lost players as more youngsters come to watch the Swans, I'm sure it's the same in Cardiff.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Login to get fewer ads

2 Welsh Prem Sides on 13:51 - Mar 2 with 1016 viewsjacksinceever

2 Welsh Prem Sides on 10:16 - Mar 2 by Catullus

But that is missing the point somewhat. Yes it's good for both clubs to grow support, yes it's good for the economy. But what real good is it to Welsh football?
Does the national side gain? Do the Welsh league sides gain? Does grassroots football gain?
I think the answer to those 3 questions is a resounding no. Indeed smaller clubs have been shown to suffer as young players heads are turned as soon as a Premier clubs shows even the slightest interest. Our national side has been missing key players at managers whims (apparently) and Giggs is a prime example. Grassroots football in Swansea has lost players as more youngsters come to watch the Swans, I'm sure it's the same in Cardiff.

As with probably every other area with an EPL team, there is no positive spin for the national side, or for local or grassroots football. As you correctly pointed out.
I do think that the times we are in have impacted on the number of youngsters playing sports generally anyway. I genuinely blame technology for this. Trying to get kids to go out to play traditional games is harder and harder. The "excitement" of Fifa and other computer generated games holds a lot more pull for many than playing with their mates in the park.
I blame the parents ! (myself included )
2 Welsh Prem Sides on 17:56 - Mar 2 with 939 viewsFrankyBurrowsTash

The "Profile" of Welsh football has benefited of having two welsh teams in it.
Obviously if we and other sides had more welsh talent performing on a week I week out basis the whole round welsh game would improve.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024