Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
PL Clubs Financial Breakdown 12:27 - May 2 with 5102 viewspierre91

....excellent club-by-club breakdown in today's Guardian by the superb David Conn. First class reading.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/01/premier-league-accounts-club-by-
PL Clubs Financial Breakdown on 21:54 - May 2 with 1127 viewspierre91

PL Clubs Financial Breakdown on 21:13 - May 2 by Dr_Winston

So basically the guy who's been running a sh*t commercial department for the last several years is now doing it full time.

Awesome.

....I guess that's spot on Dr W, - despite LD's obvious efforts over the years it now behoves us to employ a Nicola Cortese "type" - and before people shoot me down, Southampton's ex-CEO "earned" £2.odd million in his last year but resigned despite the Club offering him a significant pay rise,

I know it sounds bizzarre, but financial journalists reckon he made about 4 times that figure yearly on his negotiated sponsorship/commercial deals.

Hey, I'm NOT saying we should employ Cortese, but that gives you an idea of this shark-infested market, and we're going to have to come to terms with it, even if it's on our own situation that sets the agenda,
PL Clubs Financial Breakdown on 08:05 - May 3 with 1074 viewsDr_Winston

PL Clubs Financial Breakdown on 21:54 - May 2 by pierre91

....I guess that's spot on Dr W, - despite LD's obvious efforts over the years it now behoves us to employ a Nicola Cortese "type" - and before people shoot me down, Southampton's ex-CEO "earned" £2.odd million in his last year but resigned despite the Club offering him a significant pay rise,

I know it sounds bizzarre, but financial journalists reckon he made about 4 times that figure yearly on his negotiated sponsorship/commercial deals.

Hey, I'm NOT saying we should employ Cortese, but that gives you an idea of this shark-infested market, and we're going to have to come to terms with it, even if it's on our own situation that sets the agenda,

Like with the Monk situation, it almost seems that the club favours going for someone that they're comfortable with rather than actively seeking out the best available candidate.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

PL Clubs Financial Breakdown on 08:24 - May 3 with 1067 viewsJackhero

LD talks out of his arse. Some of the BS he spouts is just the same stuff managers spout out after matches, clichés cliches cliches. He like to use the line ' it's the best possible deal.......etc etc' when the fact is if he could be arsed to shop about, and do that negotiating thing he is paid to do we would be better off. Either that or he is doing this and completely ripping the fans off.

Tubbs: Will heaven be like Swansea? Edward: Yes, Tubbs. Only... bigger.

PL Clubs Financial Breakdown on 08:48 - May 3 with 1060 viewsScoobyWho

PL Clubs Financial Breakdown on 14:41 - May 2 by waynekerr55

Haven't we expanded our commercial team recently?

I know that Leigh Dineen has expertise through his business, but what attributes/selection criteria were used to employ the new members of the team?

When I had my last review at the steelworks I was told ' A matrix system of similar posed questions determine the appointment of all staff for all vacancies thus negating grievance and accusations of favouritism'. Not my words, the words of the management. I bet swansea didn't do that ;-)

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

PL Clubs Financial Breakdown on 09:13 - May 3 with 1043 viewsUxbridge

PL Clubs Financial Breakdown on 08:05 - May 3 by Dr_Winston

Like with the Monk situation, it almost seems that the club favours going for someone that they're comfortable with rather than actively seeking out the best available candidate.

That well may be true, however past issues have partly been because nobody was doing that role full time. Now somebody's in the role we can judge their performance accordingly and find out whether they're up to the task.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

PL Clubs Financial Breakdown on 09:29 - May 3 with 1036 viewsDr_Winston

PL Clubs Financial Breakdown on 09:13 - May 3 by Uxbridge

That well may be true, however past issues have partly been because nobody was doing that role full time. Now somebody's in the role we can judge their performance accordingly and find out whether they're up to the task.

Perhaps. Although that does raise the question why someone thought that the commercial department of a Premier League club could ever be run on a part time basis in the first place.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

PL Clubs Financial Breakdown on 09:33 - May 3 with 1032 viewsUxbridge

PL Clubs Financial Breakdown on 09:29 - May 3 by Dr_Winston

Perhaps. Although that does raise the question why someone thought that the commercial department of a Premier League club could ever be run on a part time basis in the first place.

Agreed. And we can all question the appointment (I have on here as you know) but once made it should be judged subjectively.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

(No subject) (n/t) on 10:48 - May 3 with 1003 viewswaynekerr55

PL Clubs Financial Breakdown on 08:48 - May 3 by ScoobyWho

When I had my last review at the steelworks I was told ' A matrix system of similar posed questions determine the appointment of all staff for all vacancies thus negating grievance and accusations of favouritism'. Not my words, the words of the management. I bet swansea didn't do that ;-)

Any business should always "look after the pennies to ensure the pounds look after themselves" - are we getting value for money from the commercial team? Have they got the skill set needed for the job now? Can they look at the big picture and maximise future potential?

I'd be willing to wager that there would be great interest from highly qualified and skilled individuals to take the job of growing the commercial side of the club, even if it was on a "commision based" contract.

I don't know the ins and outs of the appointment, but it does seem rather "nepotistic" that a £100m turnover business has appointed someone to a job when this side of the club needs radical improvement.

Of course, this appointment may well be based on merit - time will tell if that is correct.
[Post edited 3 May 2014 10:52]

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Login to get fewer ads

PL Clubs Financial Breakdown on 10:53 - May 3 with 999 viewswaynekerr55

PL Clubs Financial Breakdown on 09:33 - May 3 by Uxbridge

Agreed. And we can all question the appointment (I have on here as you know) but once made it should be judged subjectively.

Shouldn't that read objectively?

My god I'm turning into Warwick HUNT!

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

PL Clubs Financial Breakdown on 14:09 - May 3 with 963 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

PL Clubs Financial Breakdown on 09:33 - May 3 by Uxbridge

I don't see how a man who has made his living selling stock for vending machines is truly the best person out there capable of negotiating multi million pound deals with some of the largest businesses in the world, whose commercial team probably earn more a year than Dineen has made in his entire life.

It is something I mentioned in my poll back in March and something I intend on asking at the next fans forum. It's another case of 'jobs for the boys' or not trusting anyone from outside the 'inner circle' with such a key role.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024