Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. 11:38 - May 22 with 10877 viewsRAFC1907

I am pleased George Donnelly is staying at the club, and im pretty sure Keith Hill will be.

Having read some of the comments on here, it is clear not many of you have played the game at a decent level.

We have no Paddy McCourts or Will Buckleys at the club, everyone on the team has the footballing brain, and everyone on the team is a grafter, Hendo, Vincenti, etc.

Talent is no substitute for hard work and unless of course your representing the likes of Brazil, Spain etc then hard work will always come before talent. 90% of footballers get results from hard work.

Real Madrid, Liverpool, Barcelona: all three have a mix, they have the grafters, and then the 10% from Ronaldo, Messi, Suarez that can make the difference.

If you had 11 of them on each team, I would not expect them to win once.

George Donnelly causes havoc, his runs off the ball create space, his runs in behind cause problems, his ever lasting energy does'nt let defenders breathe, he holds the ball up, all of the points create goals, he also chips in with a few goals to. If he did not do any of those points then fair enough, but he does.

I think some of you forget the past, it was only last season that people moaned about the effortless performances of the players. Their lack of desire to compete to win football matches for Rochdale football club.

It is a pleasure to pay hard earned money to watch the likes of George Donnelly give 120%, we would'nt of done it without him.

It is only Keith Hills opinion that matters afterall.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

Poll: Bottomley...

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 21:08 - May 22 with 2013 viewsD_Alien

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 14:57 - May 22 by Thran

I'm not the biggest Donnelly fan, this season I've been the one to critisize him amongst me and my friends, the word "shit" even came up after his Dagenham miss however I personally think having him here for league 1 is great for us.

His finishing has not been up to par this season and he will know that, he will probably be looking to improve on that and we all know he gives it all on the pitch, I'm hoping he will as well on the training ground this pre-season. He is an effective substitute for the late stages of the game and we will need someone who can beat defenders to long balls, through balls etc.

If his contract extension was not to Hilly's liking then he will still encorperate him into the team if he continues to be good at what he is good at.

PS. His goals against Northampton at home and Newport away were awesome especially the Newport one, it felt like we had won the league right there and then :D

After he put us into the lead at Newport, the thought crossed my mind - how will Georgie be viewed by Dale fans if we win this game 1-0 and other results go our way?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 21:09 - May 22 with 2013 viewsAtThePeake

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 20:40 - May 22 by finberty

'whilst I understand that the wages of some of these players will be way out of our range, here are just a few options available who I'd take over GD.....:

On that basis then, here are a few others:

Lionel Messi
Cristiano Ronaldo
Luis Suarez

Yes, GD doesn't score many, but I prefer the industry and graft of a trier than the contemptible non-effort from some of his predecessors. And his movement off the ball creates space for others. If he doesn't know what he's about to do, how the hell is the nearest defender supposed to know?

Are those 3 out of contract as well? Should be an interesting summer transfer window then.

My point is/was that there are a lot of players available on free transfers who can offer more than Donnelly.
[Post edited 22 May 2014 21:09]

Tangled up in blue.

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 21:12 - May 22 with 1994 views442Dale

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 21:08 - May 22 by D_Alien

After he put us into the lead at Newport, the thought crossed my mind - how will Georgie be viewed by Dale fans if we win this game 1-0 and other results go our way?

The most reasonable of fans had predicted such a scenario weeks earlier. It was almost written for him.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 21:13 - May 22 with 1990 viewsTTNYear

I don't see the problem. If he's not up to it he'll soon be out on loan. Hill does that.

Anti-cliquism is the last refuge of the messageboard scoundrel - Copyright Dorset Dale productions

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 21:20 - May 22 with 1966 viewsdingdangblue

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 21:03 - May 22 by 442Dale

Lee Thorpe was involved in helping the team reach the play-offs twice, but I'm glad we didn't keep him at the end of the 08/09 season.

Almost all players have their uses at various times. Individual incidents don't make them good or bad, overall form does.

For the record, Thorpe was ok. 6.5/10.

Wasn't Thorpe in his 30's? I just don't see the point in slagging off, taking the piss or sometimes general hatred of a player who at the end of the day isn't going to be one of our main players - but could do a job when required.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 21:27 - May 22 with 1944 views442Dale

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 21:20 - May 22 by dingdangblue

Wasn't Thorpe in his 30's? I just don't see the point in slagging off, taking the piss or sometimes general hatred of a player who at the end of the day isn't going to be one of our main players - but could do a job when required.

And Thorpe could do a job. Times changed and we went into the next season without a targetman until COG arrived.

You don't need to hate a player to hold an opinion that he's not good enough. See Jason Dawson.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 21:48 - May 22 with 1888 viewsfrenzied

Ive thought that George may be better played futher back in midfield simply breaking up the opposition play..our very own dark destroyer
George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 21:51 - May 22 with 1880 viewsR17ALE

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 21:48 - May 22 by frenzied

Ive thought that George may be better played futher back in midfield simply breaking up the opposition play..our very own dark destroyer

It's obvious that George does sunbeds, but I don't think he's in the region of The Chase's Shaun Wallace!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Login to get fewer ads

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 21:53 - May 22 with 1868 viewsRotherhamDale

I presume that he's 3rd in the pecking order as it stands.

Hogan
Muldoon
Donnelly

That is the only positive I can think of.

Possession with progression.

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 21:57 - May 22 with 1859 viewsdingdangblue

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 21:27 - May 22 by 442Dale

And Thorpe could do a job. Times changed and we went into the next season without a targetman until COG arrived.

You don't need to hate a player to hold an opinion that he's not good enough. See Jason Dawson.

I know you don't hate him but others comments are a little more than not thinking he's good enough. It takes a certain player to be happy to be part of a squad and accept he won't be playing / starting each week but still be happy around the camp, not complain and get on with it. As for others mentioning the likes of Will Hoskins, Andy Keogh, Billy Paynter ? They are probably on 3 times what Dale players are on and aren't suitable to be back up players.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 22:01 - May 22 with 1849 viewsmacro

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 21:53 - May 22 by RotherhamDale

I presume that he's 3rd in the pecking order as it stands.

Hogan
Muldoon
Donnelly

That is the only positive I can think of.

Hogan
Bunney
Muldoon
Donnelly
George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 22:06 - May 22 with 1836 viewsdingdangblue

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 22:01 - May 22 by macro

Hogan
Bunney
Muldoon
Donnelly

You've missed out Jack Northover.

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 22:26 - May 22 with 1798 viewspnc4eva1

Donnellinio is an enigma. I am a fan of his effort. I am a fan of his first touch (when he gets it right). The man can turn a defence with one touch but unfortunately he will then be unable to hit a cow's backside with a banjo. That is the man's attraction. He will do something great and the be a chump. He did however seem to have an understanding with Hogan when they played together.

up the dale
Poll: Are these polls getting tedious

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 22:48 - May 22 with 1768 viewsD_Alien

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 22:26 - May 22 by pnc4eva1

Donnellinio is an enigma. I am a fan of his effort. I am a fan of his first touch (when he gets it right). The man can turn a defence with one touch but unfortunately he will then be unable to hit a cow's backside with a banjo. That is the man's attraction. He will do something great and the be a chump. He did however seem to have an understanding with Hogan when they played together.

If anyone's first touch with their missus was as poor, she'd end up playing away in frustration.

[Post edited 22 May 2014 22:52]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 22:49 - May 22 with 1768 viewsYorkshire_Dale

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 14:07 - May 22 by SuddenLad

http://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/article/donnelly-extension-2014-1568940.aspx

Holy crap!
George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 23:14 - May 22 with 1735 viewsYorkshire_Dale

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 21:13 - May 22 by TTNYear

I don't see the problem. If he's not up to it he'll soon be out on loan. Hill does that.

The trouble with sending him out on loan is that we have already committed funds from our meagre budget and, more importantly,GD will have taken the place of a player who could have offered us much much more.......and we would have to recruit.
George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 23:38 - May 22 with 1713 viewsAtThePeake

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 21:57 - May 22 by dingdangblue

I know you don't hate him but others comments are a little more than not thinking he's good enough. It takes a certain player to be happy to be part of a squad and accept he won't be playing / starting each week but still be happy around the camp, not complain and get on with it. As for others mentioning the likes of Will Hoskins, Andy Keogh, Billy Paynter ? They are probably on 3 times what Dale players are on and aren't suitable to be back up players.

You'll also see DDB that in the same post where I mentioned those 3, I mentioned they'd be out of our price range. It's just an indication of the quality of players that are available on free transfers is all.

The reason he'll be happy to get on with being a squad member is because he knows he's not good enough, IMO.

Tangled up in blue.

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 11:51 - May 23 with 1607 viewsaleanddale

Confidence player

Limited but one of us..

lets get behind him now and focus on his strengths and what he can bring to the team. A full pre season with Hilly and Hogan and Muldoon buzzin around him who knows he could just click.

Rather GD9 than Cummins EVERY day of the week!!!!!
George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 12:27 - May 23 with 1574 viewsColDale

Said it before, but when Hill returned to the club he had Grimes, Gornell, Donnelly and Grant to choose from up front. It's no coincidence that George is the only one still here. That might not be down to natural talent as the others had bags more than George, but George is the one with more goals in 2013-14 than the rest of them put together and was the only one involved in a promotion winning squad. Contract or no contract, if Hill wanted rid, he'd have found a way.

We all know his strengths and his limitations and it's more than likely he'll get less game time in League One. But I'd rather have a George on the bench to throw on when chasing a game than some big oaf that we'd hoof it forward to.
George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 12:41 - May 23 with 1554 viewsmacro

Forwards always judged by goals scored hence the flack for Donnelly.

Unfortunately unless there's an immense improvement he'll still get stick. Can't have pace as only asset, first touch not good enough, goal scoring not good enough, etc etc. conference standard player very luck to be at the club .

I hope I'm proved wrong but on last seasons form Donnelly is second rate
George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 12:43 - May 23 with 1551 viewsdingdangblue

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 23:14 - May 22 by Yorkshire_Dale

The trouble with sending him out on loan is that we have already committed funds from our meagre budget and, more importantly,GD will have taken the place of a player who could have offered us much much more.......and we would have to recruit.

Could you please let Hilly know the name of this player as he is obviously struggling to spot players good enough for us. Its not all about the best 11 players - its about a squad of players and Hill deems Donnelly good enough for his squad. Reuben Reid is a top player, scored plenty of goals last season and has played at a higher level - Hill got rid of him in a month.
[Post edited 23 May 2014 12:46]

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 12:53 - May 23 with 1528 viewszxcvbnm

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 12:43 - May 23 by dingdangblue

Could you please let Hilly know the name of this player as he is obviously struggling to spot players good enough for us. Its not all about the best 11 players - its about a squad of players and Hill deems Donnelly good enough for his squad. Reuben Reid is a top player, scored plenty of goals last season and has played at a higher level - Hill got rid of him in a month.

Maybe Reid was down too attitude, hill doesn't like negative attitudes. Hence grimes having gone and many others. Maybe gd's attitude has partially helped him get a new deal

Poll: Best loanee keeper

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 13:46 - May 23 with 1486 viewsTVOS1907

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 12:43 - May 23 by dingdangblue

Tbf, that was over seven years ago, when Reid was still a teenager and before he had shown his worth to anyone. He may still be a problem player and the sort Hill would never touch with a bargepole, but it's not really fair to use him as a yardstick.

Hill also got rid of someone called Hogan when he was a teenager.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 13:47 - May 23 with 1484 viewsdingdangblue

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 12:53 - May 23 by zxcvbnm

Maybe Reid was down too attitude, hill doesn't like negative attitudes. Hence grimes having gone and many others. Maybe gd's attitude has partially helped him get a new deal

Yes that was the point I was making, of course there are better players than Donnelly out there - but in Hillys eyes its not just always about the talent - especially if you are not in the starting 11 - which Donnelly won't be if Hogan is here and fit.

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 15:21 - May 23 with 1417 viewsTinPot

George Donnelly - chuffed to have him here. on 14:04 - May 22 by chuckleberry

We have no Paddy McCourts or Will Buckleys at the club, everyone on the team has the footballing brain, and everyone on the team is a grafter, Hendo, Vincenti, etc.

Donnelly doesn't have a footballing brain though. He runs around like a headless chicken and usually hasn't a clue what to do near the goal. If Donnelly becomes a great player next season I'll show my arse on the town hall steps.

And noone wants to see that...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024