Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Bible and Christianity nailed 19:32 - Jul 11 with 21093 viewsepaul

Brilliant account

https://twitter.com/antibible_t

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 23:44 - Jul 16 with 1117 viewsDrizzle

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 23:43 - Jul 16 by Cottsy

It also brings a lot of suffering to many lives as well whether that's through sectarian violence, the subjugation of women, refusing children blood transfusions, the institutional rape of children, children killed because they are 'witches', female genital mutilation, honor killings, global terrorism etc. etc.

That's not to mention the unaccountable power held by a small number of religious leaders, the intellectual illiteracy promoted by many religious institutions and so on and so forth

I've never said any different. I was challenged to present some value that religion has added to the world. Its not religions fault that its flawed. It was a nice idea.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2014 23:47]
The Bible and Christianity nailed on 23:50 - Jul 16 with 1104 viewsJackoBoostardo

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 23:42 - Jul 16 by Drizzle

I know lots of people whop get comfort from their faith. You are not in a position to tell them they are wrong. Why are you asking me why billions of people have faith? Maybe they got mistreated by the people who were supposed to comfort them, I dont know. Unlike you I would never try and speak for even one other person, let alone every religious person on the planet.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2014 23:43]

Why am I asking you why billions of people have faith?!?

Do you remember? YOU were the one making this claim? You're having a mare really aren't you?

Anyway - I know of a person who was mistreated by others, and now he seeks solace in the voice in his head. Yup, he's schizophrenic, but that's a recognised mental illness. Not saying your friends are in anyway mental, but you have to ask why they seek solace in a god (who provides no answers or solutions), over the actual solutions and assistance provided by the goodness of other humans. Are you in someway insinuating that religion makes people paranoid about the intentions of others?

And you would never try and speak for even one other person, let along every religious person on the planet? Why, only a few posts back you were trying to speak on behalf of 4 billion people!

And we're Swaaaaanseeeea Ciiiityyyy! Swaaaansseeeaaa Ciiiityyy F C! We're not necessarily the greatest team in football, the world has ever seen (but we're possibly the most honest and resilient). - On behalf of The Campaign For Realistic Crowd Chanting
Poll: How could Van Persie survive such an horrific attack were it to happen again?

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 23:52 - Jul 16 with 1102 viewsDrizzle

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 23:50 - Jul 16 by JackoBoostardo

Why am I asking you why billions of people have faith?!?

Do you remember? YOU were the one making this claim? You're having a mare really aren't you?

Anyway - I know of a person who was mistreated by others, and now he seeks solace in the voice in his head. Yup, he's schizophrenic, but that's a recognised mental illness. Not saying your friends are in anyway mental, but you have to ask why they seek solace in a god (who provides no answers or solutions), over the actual solutions and assistance provided by the goodness of other humans. Are you in someway insinuating that religion makes people paranoid about the intentions of others?

And you would never try and speak for even one other person, let along every religious person on the planet? Why, only a few posts back you were trying to speak on behalf of 4 billion people!

Was I ? Can you show what was saying on their behalf?
The Bible and Christianity nailed on 23:52 - Jul 16 with 1098 viewsJackoBoostardo

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 23:44 - Jul 16 by Drizzle

I've never said any different. I was challenged to present some value that religion has added to the world. Its not religions fault that its flawed. It was a nice idea.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2014 23:47]

Whilst there is no evidence to support why religion came around, it can only be reasonably assumed that this was initially a primitive set of laws (based on primitive knowledge) created more to control a populace rather than provide solace and peace.

Nice idea? Discovering the atom seemed a nice idea at the time, until the bombs came.

And we're Swaaaaanseeeea Ciiiityyyy! Swaaaansseeeaaa Ciiiityyy F C! We're not necessarily the greatest team in football, the world has ever seen (but we're possibly the most honest and resilient). - On behalf of The Campaign For Realistic Crowd Chanting
Poll: How could Van Persie survive such an horrific attack were it to happen again?

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 23:55 - Jul 16 with 1096 viewsDrizzle

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 23:52 - Jul 16 by JackoBoostardo

Whilst there is no evidence to support why religion came around, it can only be reasonably assumed that this was initially a primitive set of laws (based on primitive knowledge) created more to control a populace rather than provide solace and peace.

Nice idea? Discovering the atom seemed a nice idea at the time, until the bombs came.

Other than the bible and the quran and the dead sea scrolls and........
[Post edited 16 Jul 2014 23:55]
The Bible and Christianity nailed on 23:56 - Jul 16 with 1090 viewsJackoBoostardo

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 23:52 - Jul 16 by Drizzle

Was I ? Can you show what was saying on their behalf?

Your post at 22:40 - quote:-

Ask the 4 billion people that practice it. You may among them meet a few people who draw great comfort from it.

Do you now have a browser with a back button?

Seems definitive enough really. Not only are you quoting a figure but you are also claiming they draw comfort from it. But getting back on point, how are you getting on trying to get the answers to my question?

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 23:58 - Jul 16 with 1090 viewsDrizzle

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 23:56 - Jul 16 by JackoBoostardo

Your post at 22:40 - quote:-

Ask the 4 billion people that practice it. You may among them meet a few people who draw great comfort from it.

Do you now have a browser with a back button?

Seems definitive enough really. Not only are you quoting a figure but you are also claiming they draw comfort from it. But getting back on point, how are you getting on trying to get the answers to my question?

So I was speaking about a few people among the billions. Maybe the few people I know who have faith, and who's life is enriched by faith. Not speaking for 4 billion people.
The Bible and Christianity nailed on 00:05 - Jul 17 with 1070 viewsJackoBoostardo

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 23:55 - Jul 16 by Drizzle

Other than the bible and the quran and the dead sea scrolls and........
[Post edited 16 Jul 2014 23:55]

Ah, the Dead Sea Scorll documents that are alleged to exist, but nobody is allowed to see them yet alone examine them. You mean those documents right?

And the Bible and the Quran?

I suppose, following that logic, a couple of hundred years from now people will be worshipping Harry Potter and argue it's real too?

Let's look at the stories behind the bible shall we? Adam and Eve had two sons who in turn created all other people? God is a loving god, an all forgiving god, yet if you don't believe in him he will judge you, then sentence you to eternal damnation? He has no problems killing the innocent first born children of the Egyptians, as well as rape, incest and mass murder? The one who will happily drown everyone on the planet to teach them a lesson? You mean that god right?

Nah - I'd rather worship Ted Bundy.

And as per your earlier quote - it appears you are backtracking slightly.
[Post edited 17 Jul 2014 0:06]

Login to get fewer ads

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 00:11 - Jul 17 with 1062 viewsDrizzle

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 00:05 - Jul 17 by JackoBoostardo

Ah, the Dead Sea Scorll documents that are alleged to exist, but nobody is allowed to see them yet alone examine them. You mean those documents right?

I suppose, following that logic, a couple of hundred years from now people will be worshipping Harry Potter and argue it's real too?

Let's look at the stories behind the bible shall we? Adam and Eve had two sons who in turn created all other people? God is a loving god, an all forgiving god, yet if you don't believe in him he will judge you, then sentence you to eternal damnation? He has no problems killing the innocent first born children of the Egyptians, as well as rape, incest and mass murder? The one who will happily drown everyone on the planet to teach them a lesson? You mean that god right?

You spend hours typing about something you don't believe in. Doesn't really add up. Paragraph after paragraph emphasising the point. The church is flawed. Its all lies. Wow. Compelling viewing.
The Bible and Christianity nailed on 00:14 - Jul 17 with 1054 viewsDrizzle

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 00:05 - Jul 17 by JackoBoostardo

And Im not backtracking, you have just realised that you cant read properly.
The Bible and Christianity nailed on 00:16 - Jul 17 with 1054 viewsLeonisGod

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 23:28 - Jul 16 by Drizzle

Thing is I don't care. If people want to believe, good luck to them.

Amen brother, I'm with you on that. If people find comfort in it, good for them. It would be nice to stop the nutters who see their faith as a justification to do bad stuff though (from 'naughty' priests through to the infamous suicide bomber, etc).
The Bible and Christianity nailed on 00:18 - Jul 17 with 1048 viewsJackoBoostardo

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 00:11 - Jul 17 by Drizzle

You spend hours typing about something you don't believe in. Doesn't really add up. Paragraph after paragraph emphasising the point. The church is flawed. Its all lies. Wow. Compelling viewing.

And you appear not to want to discuss are argue your views, yet you are still here on this thread?

I have a flawed belief that humanity is not doomed to be a species of sheep, living their lives for a false promise. I have a belief that humanity is not doomed to ignorance. It's certainly a flawed view but it's not impossible.

Not having a religion or a belief in a god doesn't make me a bad person. In fact I do shed loads for charity, and I am my happiest with my family, son and loved ones. I have, and will continue to, help people in need. And I do everything else that the 'religious' do, but without the false promise of a reward to heaven.... Do you know why?.... It's called humanity!

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 00:27 - Jul 17 with 1037 viewsJackoBoostardo

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 00:16 - Jul 17 by LeonisGod

Amen brother, I'm with you on that. If people find comfort in it, good for them. It would be nice to stop the nutters who see their faith as a justification to do bad stuff though (from 'naughty' priests through to the infamous suicide bomber, etc).

On that subject, psychics, or people who trick people (who desperately need comfort) by claiming they can speak to their dead relatives.... do you feel this is a 'good' or valued service? Afterall, they too are providing comfort (through false pretenses) and make vast amounts of money in the process...

Or how about time-share? The promise of luxury in paradise in exchange for a lifetime of payment?

[Post edited 17 Jul 2014 0:32]

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 00:29 - Jul 17 with 1039 viewsDrizzle

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 00:18 - Jul 17 by JackoBoostardo

And you appear not to want to discuss are argue your views, yet you are still here on this thread?

I have a flawed belief that humanity is not doomed to be a species of sheep, living their lives for a false promise. I have a belief that humanity is not doomed to ignorance. It's certainly a flawed view but it's not impossible.

Not having a religion or a belief in a god doesn't make me a bad person. In fact I do shed loads for charity, and I am my happiest with my family, son and loved ones. I have, and will continue to, help people in need. And I do everything else that the 'religious' do, but without the false promise of a reward to heaven.... Do you know why?.... It's called humanity!

I've discussed my views. I think anything that can help people overcome their difficulties is a good thing. I certainly don't judge people as being sheep because they have a different view to me. Humanity invented religion so I'm not quite sure what your point is.( Although rereading some of your posts, I think mushroom season must have come a few months early)
[Post edited 17 Jul 2014 0:37]
The Bible and Christianity nailed on 00:44 - Jul 17 with 1020 viewsJackoBoostardo

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 00:29 - Jul 17 by Drizzle

I've discussed my views. I think anything that can help people overcome their difficulties is a good thing. I certainly don't judge people as being sheep because they have a different view to me. Humanity invented religion so I'm not quite sure what your point is.( Although rereading some of your posts, I think mushroom season must have come a few months early)

On that note, heroin helps people overcome their problems.... for a short time at least. And this too was invented by humanity.

Is this good too?

And you are twisting my words - I respect other peoples views as their own. What annoys me is when these views are forced on to others - as I've already mentioned earlier. What annoys me is when parents who are religious, force their views on to their children to continue. What annoys me is when people, who are born with minds and reason, fail to utilise these natural traits in the name of a myth..

So when you ask me why this subject gets to me, it's because I do not appreciate the systematic abuse, and the taking advantage of people who need the support.

Oh yeah! Did the church provide comfort the the millions affected by WW2?
Nope! The Roman Catholic church sided officially with the Nazi's. Brush that one under the carpet shall we, and let's go back to how good religion is!

I've got an early start tomorrow - so I'll leave it here for now.
[Post edited 17 Jul 2014 0:48]

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 01:11 - Jul 17 with 998 viewsDavillin

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 16:25 - Jul 16 by JackoBoostardo

Well no. Not when these opinions affect everyone.

Here's an example as to why I'm so anti-religion - the blurred line between church and politics. Likewise in the US, the church and state senate.

I cannot accept an establishment that forces their 'opinions' onto the populace. Stem Cell research could save the lives of many, and make life bearable/less painful for others - yet it is religion that has held this back for fear of "playing god?".

I can also tell you that the church in the uk are protesting plans for people who are terminally ill, and needless to say in severe pain/limited abilities, to chose how they die. We will euthanize sick animals, yet we cannot allow our loved ones to die with dignity? The church will happily let the terminally ill suffer and wither away because it's 'god's will"!!!

The church, and all other religions, have absolutely NO right to dictate how others should live - yet have done so for hundreds and hundreds of years. All based on opinion.

If you are okay with this then great - but this is just TWO of the reasons I am anti-religion. A god that give humans freedom, yet restricts each and everything we do?! It's a sick joke! I should not need to go on.

Your snippy response to my previous question will not affect this reply.

I asked a simple question about something you wrote that I do not understand. What is "the church and state senate"?

No debate, no argument. Just a simple question requesting a simple answer. What is "the church and state senate"? I have never heard that expression before, let alone the concept.

If you will give me a simple straight answer, I'll post a thank you and be gone. If you decline, or give me another non-answer, I'll go silently away, disappointed at the lost opportunity to learn something.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 01:32 - Jul 17 with 986 viewsDavillin

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 00:29 - Jul 17 by Drizzle

Drizzle, I must offer you my deepest respect for both your reasoned responses and your courtesy in the face of all that has been thrown at you. I'm completely serious. Well done.

Now stop responding before I lose my faith in you. Please learn when to stop trying to change the mind of one who has embraced an idea implacably. And don't be drawn into a pissing contest. It's unwinnable.

By the way, any hope for his arguments ended when he cited Christopher Hitchins!

Zeus!

p.s. Mankind invented religion to (1) explain the inexplicable, and (2) to provide a moral code of conduct [for people who live in communities -- hermits need not apply]. As poorly as they did with (1), so well did they do with (2).

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 02:00 - Jul 17 with 983 viewsFree_Willy

IGNORANT, the US is the best when it comes to separating church and state, it's in their blooming constitution

1. Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances
The Bible and Christianity nailed on 07:52 - Jul 17 with 954 viewsDrizzle

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 00:44 - Jul 17 by JackoBoostardo

On that note, heroin helps people overcome their problems.... for a short time at least. And this too was invented by humanity.

Is this good too?

And you are twisting my words - I respect other peoples views as their own. What annoys me is when these views are forced on to others - as I've already mentioned earlier. What annoys me is when parents who are religious, force their views on to their children to continue. What annoys me is when people, who are born with minds and reason, fail to utilise these natural traits in the name of a myth..

So when you ask me why this subject gets to me, it's because I do not appreciate the systematic abuse, and the taking advantage of people who need the support.

Oh yeah! Did the church provide comfort the the millions affected by WW2?
Nope! The Roman Catholic church sided officially with the Nazi's. Brush that one under the carpet shall we, and let's go back to how good religion is!

I've got an early start tomorrow - so I'll leave it here for now.
[Post edited 17 Jul 2014 0:48]

So you use the fact that the church supported Hitler and ignore the fact that Hitler hated Christianity(just like you) .
Jeffrey Dahmer was an atheist(Stalin, Pol Pot I could go on). It makes no sense to blame his actions on atheism. Yet you do the opposite repeatedly. Dumber than a dodgem full of monkeys.
Also man didn't invent poppies they grow naturally. In spite of this heroin serves a purpose as painkiller. The fact that some people abuse it isn't heroins fault nor is it religions fault. It lies once again in the imperfection of man. So heroin has a value to the human race. Just because it causes pain, it doesn't make it wholly bad, neither is it wholly good.
You seem to be saying that humanity is responsible for all the good in the world while religion is responsible for all the bad which makes no sense whatsoever.
If you chose to live in a world of absolutes, you don't give yourself anywhere to stand.
[Post edited 17 Jul 2014 8:06]
The Bible and Christianity nailed on 08:11 - Jul 17 with 937 viewsWarwickHunt

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 07:52 - Jul 17 by Drizzle

So you use the fact that the church supported Hitler and ignore the fact that Hitler hated Christianity(just like you) .
Jeffrey Dahmer was an atheist(Stalin, Pol Pot I could go on). It makes no sense to blame his actions on atheism. Yet you do the opposite repeatedly. Dumber than a dodgem full of monkeys.
Also man didn't invent poppies they grow naturally. In spite of this heroin serves a purpose as painkiller. The fact that some people abuse it isn't heroins fault nor is it religions fault. It lies once again in the imperfection of man. So heroin has a value to the human race. Just because it causes pain, it doesn't make it wholly bad, neither is it wholly good.
You seem to be saying that humanity is responsible for all the good in the world while religion is responsible for all the bad which makes no sense whatsoever.
If you chose to live in a world of absolutes, you don't give yourself anywhere to stand.

"If you chose to live in a world of absolutes, you don't give yourself anywhere to stand."

Nice attempt at an aphorism, shame it's arse dribble.
The Bible and Christianity nailed on 08:55 - Jul 17 with 920 viewsjackb

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 01:32 - Jul 17 by Davillin

Drizzle, I must offer you my deepest respect for both your reasoned responses and your courtesy in the face of all that has been thrown at you. I'm completely serious. Well done.

Now stop responding before I lose my faith in you. Please learn when to stop trying to change the mind of one who has embraced an idea implacably. And don't be drawn into a pissing contest. It's unwinnable.

By the way, any hope for his arguments ended when he cited Christopher Hitchins!

Zeus!

p.s. Mankind invented religion to (1) explain the inexplicable, and (2) to provide a moral code of conduct [for people who live in communities -- hermits need not apply]. As poorly as they did with (1), so well did they do with (2).

1. And science & reason came along to start the journey to discovering the real reasons behind the world, universe .... Inexplicable is merely as yet undiscovered. Using lack of knowledge to invent a sky fairy and then sue that myth to have control over people is pretty twisted in the end.

2 Morality - ah the last resort of religious argument - some of the least moral people I have ever come across have based their actions on religious tenets - hypocrites & scumbags the lot of them. Morality was part of our communities long before religion reared it's ugly, bigoted & hateful head and will be long after it's gone the way of the dinosaurs.

love your comment about not trying to change the mind of someone - coming from you - hilarious, I'm on the floor here!
The Bible and Christianity nailed on 09:39 - Jul 17 with 910 viewsJackoBoostardo

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 07:52 - Jul 17 by Drizzle

Ah.. ready for round two are we?

okay!

You may want to look back through to an earlier thread where I commented on Hitler. To claim he wasn't religious is a common error, and you fell into the hole totally. You see, Hitler, whilst and Catholocism and church establishment, regularly used the term 'Almighty Creator' in his speeches! It's a fact, check it out!

So whilst he may have been anti-church to many, he still practiced his faith. Still don't believe me?

"My feelings as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter. It points me to the man who once in loneliness, surrounded by a few followers, recognized these Jews for what they were and summoned men to fight against them and who, God's truth! was greatest not as a sufferer but as a fighter. In boundless love as a Christian and as a man I read through the passage which tells us how the Lord at last rose in His might and seized the scourge to drive out of the Temple the brood of vipers and adders. How terrific was His fight for the world against the Jewish poison. To-day, after two thousand years, with deepest emotion I recognize more profoundly than ever before the fact that it was for this that He had to shed His blood upon the Cross. As a Christian I have no duty to allow myself to be cheated, but I have the duty to be a fighter for truth and justice... And if there is anything which could demonstrate that we are acting rightly it is the distress that daily grows. For as a Christian I have also a duty to my own people.

-Adolf Hitler, in a speech on 12 April 1922 (Norman H. Baynes, ed. The Speeches of Adolf Hitler, April 1922-August 1939, Vol. 1 of 2, pp. 19-20, Oxford University Press, 1942)

So again you've made a factual error with your claims.

Thanks for also mentioning that Dahmer was an atheist, along with Stalin and Pol Pot. I would urge you to go on though - as you'd struggle to find any other names. Should also mention that again you are incorrect - you see, Dahmer insisted on being re-baptised after his arrest. You could also argue he was the victim of religion - as a result of his strict religious upbringing conflicting with his sense of homosexuality.

Stalin is regularly brought up by religious debaters who have nothing else to add to their argument. However, your claim that he was an atheist is also inaccurate. He wanted full control over the people, and sought to remove the church in order to do this. There is absolutely nothing to suggest he was an atheist, and instead he was a power hungry madman. Indeed, Stalin did not kill countless people in the name of atheism either - so where are you getting this information? Here's a clue - from the collective asses of the religious community!

Josef Stalin’s “very religious” mother named him after St. Joseph, and wanted him to become a priest. Stalin himself supposedly claimed that his father had been a priest, and he was purportedly “damaged by violence” while being “raised in a poor priest-ridden household.” As a youth, Stalin spent five years in a Greek Orthodox seminary, after which he purportedly renounced his religion. In his later years, Stalin apparently embraced Christianity once more. As Stalin biographer Edvard Radinsky remarks, “During his mysterious retreat [of June 1941] the ex-seminarist had decided to involve the aid of the God he had rejected.” Radinsky likewise chronicles a number of religious comrades in Stalin’s immediate circle. It is evident that, whether for good or bad, religion played a significant role in Stalin’s life. Again, if not strictly religious, it is clear that religion played a very important role in the decisions made later in life.

And as for Pol Pot, well, if you were to check the archives of Pol Pots writings, you will see he regularly refers to "the Great Buddha" . Atheist? Certainly not!

So that's yet another counter argument you've failed on (sorry to break it to you).

Now what about the names of people who have committed attrocities and mass murder in the name of their religion? The list is huge! You could arguably count the mythical god too if you believe the Bible, afterall he slaughtered the entire planet through drowning, killed the (innocent) first born of all egyptians and continues to toy with peoples lives to this day!

So, with all things concluded you have not counter argument. But if you do want to embarrass yourself further then you know where to come!

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 09:46 - Jul 17 with 910 viewsDrizzle

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 08:11 - Jul 17 by WarwickHunt

"If you chose to live in a world of absolutes, you don't give yourself anywhere to stand."

Nice attempt at an aphorism, shame it's arse dribble.

At least its my own arse dribble and not pages of senseless propaganda clipped from all corners of the net.
The Bible and Christianity nailed on 09:47 - Jul 17 with 909 viewsDrizzle

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 09:39 - Jul 17 by JackoBoostardo

Ah.. ready for round two are we?

okay!

You may want to look back through to an earlier thread where I commented on Hitler. To claim he wasn't religious is a common error, and you fell into the hole totally. You see, Hitler, whilst and Catholocism and church establishment, regularly used the term 'Almighty Creator' in his speeches! It's a fact, check it out!

So whilst he may have been anti-church to many, he still practiced his faith. Still don't believe me?

"My feelings as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter. It points me to the man who once in loneliness, surrounded by a few followers, recognized these Jews for what they were and summoned men to fight against them and who, God's truth! was greatest not as a sufferer but as a fighter. In boundless love as a Christian and as a man I read through the passage which tells us how the Lord at last rose in His might and seized the scourge to drive out of the Temple the brood of vipers and adders. How terrific was His fight for the world against the Jewish poison. To-day, after two thousand years, with deepest emotion I recognize more profoundly than ever before the fact that it was for this that He had to shed His blood upon the Cross. As a Christian I have no duty to allow myself to be cheated, but I have the duty to be a fighter for truth and justice... And if there is anything which could demonstrate that we are acting rightly it is the distress that daily grows. For as a Christian I have also a duty to my own people.

-Adolf Hitler, in a speech on 12 April 1922 (Norman H. Baynes, ed. The Speeches of Adolf Hitler, April 1922-August 1939, Vol. 1 of 2, pp. 19-20, Oxford University Press, 1942)

So again you've made a factual error with your claims.

Thanks for also mentioning that Dahmer was an atheist, along with Stalin and Pol Pot. I would urge you to go on though - as you'd struggle to find any other names. Should also mention that again you are incorrect - you see, Dahmer insisted on being re-baptised after his arrest. You could also argue he was the victim of religion - as a result of his strict religious upbringing conflicting with his sense of homosexuality.

Stalin is regularly brought up by religious debaters who have nothing else to add to their argument. However, your claim that he was an atheist is also inaccurate. He wanted full control over the people, and sought to remove the church in order to do this. There is absolutely nothing to suggest he was an atheist, and instead he was a power hungry madman. Indeed, Stalin did not kill countless people in the name of atheism either - so where are you getting this information? Here's a clue - from the collective asses of the religious community!

Josef Stalin’s “very religious” mother named him after St. Joseph, and wanted him to become a priest. Stalin himself supposedly claimed that his father had been a priest, and he was purportedly “damaged by violence” while being “raised in a poor priest-ridden household.” As a youth, Stalin spent five years in a Greek Orthodox seminary, after which he purportedly renounced his religion. In his later years, Stalin apparently embraced Christianity once more. As Stalin biographer Edvard Radinsky remarks, “During his mysterious retreat [of June 1941] the ex-seminarist had decided to involve the aid of the God he had rejected.” Radinsky likewise chronicles a number of religious comrades in Stalin’s immediate circle. It is evident that, whether for good or bad, religion played a significant role in Stalin’s life. Again, if not strictly religious, it is clear that religion played a very important role in the decisions made later in life.

And as for Pol Pot, well, if you were to check the archives of Pol Pots writings, you will see he regularly refers to "the Great Buddha" . Atheist? Certainly not!

So that's yet another counter argument you've failed on (sorry to break it to you).

Now what about the names of people who have committed attrocities and mass murder in the name of their religion? The list is huge! You could arguably count the mythical god too if you believe the Bible, afterall he slaughtered the entire planet through drowning, killed the (innocent) first born of all egyptians and continues to toy with peoples lives to this day!

So, with all things concluded you have not counter argument. But if you do want to embarrass yourself further then you know where to come!

I didn't say he wasn't religious, I said he hated religion. Learn to read.
You are spewing out pages of nonsense. All I have said all along is that religion is fallible. I never said it didn't cause pain.

"Religion is a man made concept. Man is fallible, therefore religion is fallible. " One of my first posts on the thread. You are going round in circles chasing your tail. However much bad religion does, it also does good. That is undeniable. Happy googling.

[Post edited 17 Jul 2014 9:53]
The Bible and Christianity nailed on 09:53 - Jul 17 with 900 viewsJackoBoostardo

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 01:32 - Jul 17 by Davillin

Zeus!

For a man I thought had a level of intellect about him, your response is both condescending AND ridiculous at the same time!

Super! Go Davillin!

Anyway - this is totally winnable! All you have to do is open your eyes and look at the facts... if you wish to do so that is! You see, science and the search for truths and new discoveries is an ongoing trait for humanity. It's completely natural! What isn't natural is the voluntary limitation of knowledge, free thinking and independence that the "almighty" provided right?

And talking about Zeus, where is he these days? He was popular back in the day wasn't he? When people stopped worshipping him, nothing bad happened to the world. Yet, did he go to a retirement home for outdated gods?

And Christopher Hitchens quote just happened to be part of the image which showed the heads of church 'mixing it up' with some of the most evil people in history. Didn't really provide an answer to that though did you. And not liking Christopher Hitchens make the image and quote any less valid?

So, I assume you are in someway religious by your vigorous attempt at defending Dripple? Manking did indeed invent religion - thousands of years ago when reasoning was more difficult to come by as a result of education and knowledge. Religion does NOT provide a moral code - you assume morals is exclusively a human trait, when we have also seen acts of heroism and kindness from the animal kingdom too. Being religious does not make you a moral person either - far from it in fact as you have happy to worship a mass murdering entity and as it for guidance?!

It's easy for the religious to claim the argument isn't winnable as the "those pesky atheist brutes won't listen to us or accept our bullshit" and walk away, claiming to have won on the higher ground. It's never easy to accept and admit you're wrong though is it!

Dav.. You have come here to partake in a discussion on the topic - this is a conscious decision you have made. I can provide factual evidence all day long to back up my arguments. The question is, can you?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024