Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
5th Season Syndrome 11:28 - Mar 10 with 5162 viewsGlyn1

Next season will be our fifth in the Premier League, so just out of idle curiousity I wondered how many teams had been relegated in their fifth season in the PL (you can tell that I'm a bit of a pessimist).

The weird thing is that this has never happened. See below for details, I've taken into account the old first division before it became the Prem.

Years in PL / No. of Teams relegated in that season
1 / 26
2 / 9
3 / 5
4 / 4
5 / 0
6 / 3
7 / 4
8 / 1
9 / 1
10 / 1
11 / 3
12 / 1
13 / 1
14 / 2 (Leeds & Wimbledon)
15 / 0
16 / 2 (Newcastle & Notts Forest)
33 / 1 (Coventry)
[Post edited 19 Sep 2016 1:03]

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

5th Season Syndrome on 11:30 - Mar 10 with 3485 viewsGlyn1

And here's the full list:

Club Years in the Premier League*
* Includes Division 1 only for the teams in the Prem's 1st season.

Barnsley 1
Birmingham 1
Blackpool 1
Bolton (twice) 1
Burnley 1
Cardiff 1
Charlton 1
Crystal Palace (twice) 1
Derby 1
Leicester (twice) 1
Man City 1
Middlesbrough 1
Norwich 1
Nottingham Forest 1
Reading 1
Sheffield Utd 1
Sunderland (twice) 1
Swindon 1
Watford 1
West Brom (twice) 1
Wolves 1
Birmingham 2
Bradford City 2
Hull 2
Ipswich 2
Middlesbrough 2
Queens Park Rangers 2
Reading 2
Southampton 2
West Brom 2
Ipswich 3
Norwich 3
Nottingham Forest 3
Oldham Athletic 3
Wolves 3
Birmingham 4
Crystal Palace 4
Sheffield Utd 4
Sunderland 4
Derby 6
Leicester 6
West Ham 6
Blackburn Rovers 7
Charlton 7
Man City 7
Portsmouth 7
Wigan 8
Norwich 9
West Ham 10
Blackburn Rovers 11
Bolton 11
Middlesbrough 11
Fulham 12
Queens Park Rangers 13
Leeds 14
Wimbledon 14
Newcastle 16
Nottingham Forest 16
Coventry 33
[Post edited 11 Mar 2015 11:32]

5th Season Syndrome on 11:33 - Mar 10 with 3479 viewsPrivate_Partz

Interesting post. It shows that the first 3/4 years are the hardest to survive. Even harder now as the media money goes viral. It is there for us to lose now but I would never be complacent. It is vital we retain our status and long may it continue.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

5th Season Syndrome on 11:49 - Mar 10 with 3439 viewsairedale

Yes, we have to survive next season to qualify for the mega money. I wonder if that is one of the reasons that Garry seems to be taking a more pragmatic approach to our style of play already this season.

Could be that we put our tin hats on and dig in next season. We'll fight them on the beaches, in the streets..............
5th Season Syndrome on 14:57 - Mar 10 with 3183 viewsicecoldjack

An incredible achievement, i still live in dreamland even now, cant quite believe it .
5th Season Syndrome on 15:08 - Mar 10 with 3168 viewsorion3016

5th Season Syndrome on 14:57 - Mar 10 by icecoldjack

An incredible achievement, i still live in dreamland even now, cant quite believe it .

Absolutely spot on

Be over there now after

5th Season Syndrome on 15:10 - Mar 10 with 3166 viewsPegojack

Coventry, eh? 33 years in the top flight, and look at them now.
5th Season Syndrome on 15:30 - Mar 10 with 3144 viewsFlashberryjack

5th Season Syndrome on 14:57 - Mar 10 by icecoldjack

It sure is....if I'm being honest, after the euphoria of beating Reading had died down, I hoped we could stay up for at least one season.
What's been achieved by a small time club, can only be described is phenomenal.......and yes! I still have a good old moan now and again despite those achievements.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

5th Season Syndrome on 17:19 - Mar 10 with 3052 viewsperchrockjack

except nly a small time club in some eyes.

We re not.

In comparison with many prem leagues ,we have small gates and fan base .

THAT SAID, we have huge potential but Im not sure some can see it; THAT is small time thinking.

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Login to get fewer ads

5th Season Syndrome on 19:04 - Mar 10 with 2981 viewslibertine

absolutely amazing achievement!!!

I don't know if all fans of all clubs think in the following way, but we seem to break any stats.

eg player has not scored in 67 games, we'll sort him out etc etc.

strange stat though isn't it?
5th Season Syndrome on 19:17 - Mar 10 with 2965 viewssherpajacob

So if we can just make it to our 17th season, we will be safe and some of the pessimistic moaning will stop.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

5th Season Syndrome on 19:24 - Mar 10 with 2950 viewssherpajacob

Last season was the closest we've been to going down and we finished 12th, 9 points above the drop zone.

After the season I was discussing with mates at work ( none of whom support swansea) whether we were ever in a relegation dog fight. There were unanimous in saying that they never considered swans as relegation candidates

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

5th Season Syndrome on 19:42 - Mar 10 with 2927 viewsSirParlayMBE

I don't know why our fans keep insisting we are a small club, they need to move with the times and stuck in the dark ages. Size is basically a word to describe a clubs power, financial power more specifically. This used to be determined by crowds and attendance as it was the main source of income, so the higher the crowds the more money you had and the more likelihood of success.

All that went out the window as soon as the TV money came in. We are now the 29th richest club in world football and will push into the top 20 this year past the likes of Benfica, Marseille, and Roma. We are on the outskirts of European qualification every single year and on average are only 4 places away each season.

We are an attractive club, a club growing in stature year by year that is building a fan-base not only in the UK but particularly also in places like the US, Asia and Australia. This "little old Swansea" sentence is about as redundant as the notion that Cardiff fans have any sort of pride in their crest, a notion that should have died out long ago.
5th Season Syndrome on 20:54 - Mar 10 with 2847 viewsDewi1jack

5th Season Syndrome on 19:17 - Mar 10 by sherpajacob

So if we can just make it to our 17th season, we will be safe and some of the pessimistic moaning will stop.

This is when the "bite your hand off for seventeenths" will say they told us so

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

5th Season Syndrome on 20:55 - Mar 10 with 2846 viewswhiterock

5th Season Syndrome on 19:42 - Mar 10 by SirParlayMBE

I don't know why our fans keep insisting we are a small club, they need to move with the times and stuck in the dark ages. Size is basically a word to describe a clubs power, financial power more specifically. This used to be determined by crowds and attendance as it was the main source of income, so the higher the crowds the more money you had and the more likelihood of success.

All that went out the window as soon as the TV money came in. We are now the 29th richest club in world football and will push into the top 20 this year past the likes of Benfica, Marseille, and Roma. We are on the outskirts of European qualification every single year and on average are only 4 places away each season.

We are an attractive club, a club growing in stature year by year that is building a fan-base not only in the UK but particularly also in places like the US, Asia and Australia. This "little old Swansea" sentence is about as redundant as the notion that Cardiff fans have any sort of pride in their crest, a notion that should have died out long ago.

It makes one proud, remember those that kept saying we're not ready for the premier league and those that thought it would be one season, then we'd get second season syndrome, I bet they sick as mintoes in Bassey land
5th Season Syndrome on 01:16 - Mar 11 with 2737 viewsItchySphincter

5th Season Syndrome on 11:30 - Mar 10 by Glyn1

And here's the full list:

Club Years in the Premier League*
* Includes Division 1 only for the teams in the Prem's 1st season.

Barnsley 1
Birmingham 1
Blackpool 1
Bolton (twice) 1
Burnley 1
Cardiff 1
Charlton 1
Crystal Palace (twice) 1
Derby 1
Leicester (twice) 1
Man City 1
Middlesbrough 1
Norwich 1
Nottingham Forest 1
Reading 1
Sheffield Utd 1
Sunderland (twice) 1
Swindon 1
Watford 1
West Brom (twice) 1
Wolves 1
Birmingham 2
Bradford City 2
Hull 2
Ipswich 2
Middlesbrough 2
Queens Park Rangers 2
Reading 2
Southampton 2
West Brom 2
Ipswich 3
Norwich 3
Nottingham Forest 3
Oldham Athletic 3
Wolves 3
Birmingham 4
Crystal Palace 4
Sheffield Utd 4
Sunderland 4
Derby 6
Leicester 6
West Ham 6
Blackburn Rovers 7
Charlton 7
Man City 7
Portsmouth 7
Wigan 8
Norwich 9
West Ham 10
Blackburn Rovers 11
Bolton 11
Middlesbrough 11
Fulham 12
Queens Park Rangers 13
Leeds 14
Wimbledon 14
Newcastle 16
Nottingham Forest 16
Coventry 33
[Post edited 11 Mar 2015 11:32]

I think I've misunderstood this list?

If this is a list of clubs that have played in the PL/First Division why aren't we in it with a '2' by us?

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

5th Season Syndrome on 01:36 - Mar 11 with 2728 viewsTreforys_Jack

5th Season Syndrome on 19:42 - Mar 10 by SirParlayMBE

I understand what you're saying and you maybe correct, however I still consider us a small club and probably always will.
5th Season Syndrome on 02:04 - Mar 11 with 2719 viewsSirParlayMBE

5th Season Syndrome on 01:36 - Mar 11 by Treforys_Jack

I understand what you're saying and you maybe correct, however I still consider us a small club and probably always will.

Then you currently and probably always will do this club a great disservice.
5th Season Syndrome on 03:01 - Mar 11 with 2702 viewsItchySphincter

We're not a big club. Big club does not equal good club. We are an interesting club, some might say rich in history, an important club but we are not a big club. Man UTD could get demoted to the conference and they'd be still be a massive club. If we got demoted to the conference we'd be a conference club.

I'm happy with what we are.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

5th Season Syndrome on 06:37 - Mar 11 with 2652 viewsSwansNZ

5th Season Syndrome on 01:16 - Mar 11 by ItchySphincter

If this is a list of clubs that have played in the PL/First Division why aren't we in it with a '2' by us?

I believe it is just a list relegated from the Premier League.
It's just the length of time includes Div 1 if they were then relegated from the PL.

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

5th Season Syndrome on 10:19 - Mar 11 with 2561 viewsGlyn1

5th Season Syndrome on 01:16 - Mar 11 by ItchySphincter

Yep, it wasn't well explained, so I've updated it to make it more clear.

It's a list of how many seasons a club was in the Premier League before it was relegated. I added seasons in the old 1st Division for all the teams in the Premier League in its first season, but only for them (i.e. from when they were last promoted to the 1st Division to being relegated from the Premier League).

We've never been relegated from the Premier League, so we're not on the list.
[Post edited 11 Mar 2015 11:34]

5th Season Syndrome on 11:37 - Mar 11 with 2511 viewsGlyn1

And that would be a good pub quiz question - name the teams in the Premier League who have never been relegated from it?

5th Season Syndrome on 14:49 - Mar 11 with 2432 viewsSirParlayMBE

5th Season Syndrome on 03:01 - Mar 11 by ItchySphincter

We're not a big club. Big club does not equal good club. We are an interesting club, some might say rich in history, an important club but we are not a big club. Man UTD could get demoted to the conference and they'd be still be a massive club. If we got demoted to the conference we'd be a conference club.

I'm happy with what we are.

Me too, and what we are is a big club. Too many Swans fans wanting to play it safe and hide behind he little old Swansea tag. While we are getting £130m a year turnover and comfortably in the top 10, we are a big club... and it looks like we will for some considerable time.

If we get relegated to the conference we will be one of he biggest clubs in the conference, if we get relegated to League 2 then we will be one of the biggest blubs in league 2 and so on and so forth.
5th Season Syndrome on 15:37 - Mar 11 with 2407 viewsTummer_from_Texas

5th Season Syndrome on 11:37 - Mar 11 by Glyn1

And that would be a good pub quiz question - name the teams in the Premier League who have never been relegated from it?

1. Swansea
2. Chelsea
3. Man City
4. Arsenal
5. Man U
6. Liverpool
7. Tottenham
8. Stoke
9. Everton
10. Aston Villa

Did I miss any?

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

5th Season Syndrome on 23:22 - Mar 11 with 2297 viewsJJJack

5th Season Syndrome on 14:49 - Mar 11 by SirParlayMBE

Me too, and what we are is a big club. Too many Swans fans wanting to play it safe and hide behind he little old Swansea tag. While we are getting £130m a year turnover and comfortably in the top 10, we are a big club... and it looks like we will for some considerable time.

If we get relegated to the conference we will be one of he biggest clubs in the conference, if we get relegated to League 2 then we will be one of the biggest blubs in league 2 and so on and so forth.

You're correct of course. We are the 29th richest club in the World. How the hell that doesn't make us "big" I don't know. We've also won one of the only 3 main domestic pots on offer within recent years and played in Europe. Villa's last trophy was (I think), '97, Everton-'95, Newcastle -no idea but not in my lifetime (44yrs), Leeds 23yrs, Forest 25yrs etc etc. Even Spurs haven't won anything since '08.
People need to get real
(No subject) (n/t) on 23:57 - Mar 11 with 2279 viewsTreforys_Jack

5th Season Syndrome on 23:22 - Mar 11 by JJJack

You're correct of course. We are the 29th richest club in the World. How the hell that doesn't make us "big" I don't know. We've also won one of the only 3 main domestic pots on offer within recent years and played in Europe. Villa's last trophy was (I think), '97, Everton-'95, Newcastle -no idea but not in my lifetime (44yrs), Leeds 23yrs, Forest 25yrs etc etc. Even Spurs haven't won anything since '08.
People need to get real

Double hit doh !
[Post edited 11 Mar 2015 23:59]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024