Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
5th Season Syndrome 11:28 - Mar 10 with 5191 viewsGlyn1

Next season will be our fifth in the Premier League, so just out of idle curiousity I wondered how many teams had been relegated in their fifth season in the PL (you can tell that I'm a bit of a pessimist).

The weird thing is that this has never happened. See below for details, I've taken into account the old first division before it became the Prem.

Years in PL / No. of Teams relegated in that season
1 / 26
2 / 9
3 / 5
4 / 4
5 / 0
6 / 3
7 / 4
8 / 1
9 / 1
10 / 1
11 / 3
12 / 1
13 / 1
14 / 2 (Leeds & Wimbledon)
15 / 0
16 / 2 (Newcastle & Notts Forest)
33 / 1 (Coventry)
[Post edited 19 Sep 2016 1:03]

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

5th Season Syndrome on 23:58 - Mar 11 with 1701 viewsdameedna

We are big
Not BIG
There you go that should clear up the issue and avoid pages of bile
5th Season Syndrome on 00:01 - Mar 12 with 1701 viewsperchrockjack

But reputations don't give you points.

Sheffield Utd will never get back to the top league,neither will leeds

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

5th Season Syndrome on 00:03 - Mar 12 with 1700 viewsMr_NapoleonMBE

5th Season Syndrome on 00:01 - Mar 12 by perchrockjack

But reputations don't give you points.

Sheffield Utd will never get back to the top league,neither will leeds

Nonsense. Where do you get this rubbish from.

So how much shall we bet that leeds or Sheff united wont get back to the top leagues then? Ty hafan will be the nominated charity...
5th Season Syndrome on 10:15 - Mar 12 with 1656 viewsGlyn1

5th Season Syndrome on 15:37 - Mar 11 by Tummer_from_Texas

1. Swansea
2. Chelsea
3. Man City
4. Arsenal
5. Man U
6. Liverpool
7. Tottenham
8. Stoke
9. Everton
10. Aston Villa

Did I miss any?

So close! But Man City have been relegated twice from the Premier League, 1995/1996 and 2000/2001. Otherwise you're absolutely correct.

5th Season Syndrome on 12:06 - Mar 12 with 1630 viewsItchySphincter

5th Season Syndrome on 14:49 - Mar 11 by SirParlayMBE

Me too, and what we are is a big club. Too many Swans fans wanting to play it safe and hide behind he little old Swansea tag. While we are getting £130m a year turnover and comfortably in the top 10, we are a big club... and it looks like we will for some considerable time.

If we get relegated to the conference we will be one of he biggest clubs in the conference, if we get relegated to League 2 then we will be one of the biggest blubs in league 2 and so on and so forth.

So being in the Premier League and the riches is brings makes you a big club. By that logic Wigan was a big club for most of the last decade. Ask any sane football fan if Wigan is or ever was a big club and see what they say.

I like you Parlay but on this occasion you're talking absolute boIIocks my old chum. Swansea City AFC LTD or whatever it is may be classed as a big company based on turnover/revenue but we are still not a big club. Get 30,000 through the gates regularly and we'll be a middling club, whether we are in the PL or not.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

5th Season Syndrome on 12:17 - Mar 12 with 1614 viewsGlyn1

5th Season Syndrome on 12:06 - Mar 12 by ItchySphincter

So being in the Premier League and the riches is brings makes you a big club. By that logic Wigan was a big club for most of the last decade. Ask any sane football fan if Wigan is or ever was a big club and see what they say.

I like you Parlay but on this occasion you're talking absolute boIIocks my old chum. Swansea City AFC LTD or whatever it is may be classed as a big company based on turnover/revenue but we are still not a big club. Get 30,000 through the gates regularly and we'll be a middling club, whether we are in the PL or not.

To be a big club:

Be in the top division, and have been there for a large number of seasons x have a large fan base x have a large, well-stocked trophy cabinet.

We're a prosperous club, which is a different thing although not to be sniffed at.

I don't know if Coventry was ever a big club even though they won the FA Cup and were in the Premier League for a long time; I'm sure that Leeds and Sheffield Utd were big clubs and have the potential to be so again.

Someone mentioned £130m a year? That's about equivalent to the annual takings of 3 or 4 average Tesco supermarkets. It's nice but it isn't spectacular.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2015 12:21]

5th Season Syndrome on 12:23 - Mar 12 with 1607 viewsItchySphincter

Yes, they are various factors that define a big club but surely the single biggest is the number of members or in this case fans. It's a club after all.

5th Season Syndrome on 13:04 - Mar 12 with 1590 viewsMessiah

5th Season Syndrome on 12:06 - Mar 12 by ItchySphincter

Absolutely were. Thats why Martinez left us for them and why they could attract players such as Valencia,They were a bigger club than us. They are not big now because they are on the verge of league 1 with a small income.

"Big" is transient and ever changing. Crowds are only relevant before SKY and outside of the Prem, otherwise it makes little difference whether you get 20,000 or 30,000. I don't and never have seen attendance as something that constitutes "big".

We have one of the largest catchment areas in the UK. We basically have all of South and mid Wales. I am not claiming we are a huge club, far from it. My point is we are not a small club and thats as far away from "bollocks" as you can get. Our "smallness" is many peoples safety blanket, they feel safe and content behind it.

The reality is we are a decent sized club these days with out own identity and some major financial clout.
Login to get fewer ads

5th Season Syndrome on 13:44 - Mar 12 with 1573 viewsItchySphincter

Funny how people who think we are a big club have a problem with fans who think we're not, and saying Wigan were bigger than us wasn't the point anyway. You're just going by the yardstick that Premier League equals big. If that simplistic outlook is good enough for you there is no point continuing with my opinion.

5th Season Syndrome on 13:55 - Mar 12 with 1567 viewsMessiah

5th Season Syndrome on 13:44 - Mar 12 by ItchySphincter

Funny how people who think we are a big club have a problem with fans who think we're not, and saying Wigan were bigger than us wasn't the point anyway. You're just going by the yardstick that Premier League equals big. If that simplistic outlook is good enough for you there is no point continuing with my opinion.

As I said, it depends what era we are looking at. Many people still have an old school mentality when it comes to what defines "big". Big certainly did mean how many fans you had through the gate each week, but it all boiled down to money and financial clout at the end of the day.

Now SKY has levelled a lot of that out and has simplified it, meaning any club in the Premier League at that time is much bigger than a championship club or lower. I mean it is not a hard and fast rule, if man united got relegated they would still be bigger than the vast majority because of their commercial prowess.

But those clubs that defy the current rule are few and far between, the top 6 or 7 basically. We are currently among the top 15 biggest clubs in the English pyramid. When relegated it will be re evaluated.
5th Season Syndrome on 23:10 - Mar 13 with 1479 viewsTNT

5th Season in The Premier League...

...I like the sound of that, tbf.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

5th Season Syndrome on 00:12 - Mar 14 with 1466 views1973scott

Its an amazing time to be a jack we have all been there supporting the swans throughout the years. The memories are incredible, we are in the best league in the world, competing at the highest level watching some of the worlds greatest players.

The fans the players the board take a bow
5th Season Syndrome on 03:33 - Mar 14 with 1453 viewsjack247

5th Season Syndrome on 19:42 - Mar 10 by SirParlayMBE

I don't know why our fans keep insisting we are a small club, they need to move with the times and stuck in the dark ages. Size is basically a word to describe a clubs power, financial power more specifically. This used to be determined by crowds and attendance as it was the main source of income, so the higher the crowds the more money you had and the more likelihood of success.

All that went out the window as soon as the TV money came in. We are now the 29th richest club in world football and will push into the top 20 this year past the likes of Benfica, Marseille, and Roma. We are on the outskirts of European qualification every single year and on average are only 4 places away each season.

We are an attractive club, a club growing in stature year by year that is building a fan-base not only in the UK but particularly also in places like the US, Asia and Australia. This "little old Swansea" sentence is about as redundant as the notion that Cardiff fans have any sort of pride in their crest, a notion that should have died out long ago.

I agree with you completely this time
5th Season Syndrome on 07:33 - Mar 14 with 1432 viewsEdmundo

5th Season Syndrome on 11:49 - Mar 10 by airedale

Yes, we have to survive next season to qualify for the mega money. I wonder if that is one of the reasons that Garry seems to be taking a more pragmatic approach to our style of play already this season.

Could be that we put our tin hats on and dig in next season. We'll fight them on the beaches, in the streets..............

Definitely, will be a defining season, 5th season, which I couldn't honestly see back when we were a Championship.

Its the next massive pay day and then the club moving on with Academy 1 Status, this could set us up for a decade.

Just need everything else in the city centre to happen and we'll then be a very well respected City.
👍

Swansea City-Officially the best football team in Wales-FACT

5th Season Syndrome on 08:45 - Mar 14 with 1416 viewsjack247

5th Season Syndrome on 07:33 - Mar 14 by Edmundo

Definitely, will be a defining season, 5th season, which I couldn't honestly see back when we were a Championship.

Its the next massive pay day and then the club moving on with Academy 1 Status, this could set us up for a decade.

Just need everything else in the city centre to happen and we'll then be a very well respected City.
👍

I thought the football bubble would eventually burst, and it probably will at some point, but its explosion in Asia and North America means that day is still a long way off. These unheard of TV deals are going to happen every time a contract is up for tender and my guess is each will be significantly higher than the rest.

If we are set for 5-10 years, we are pretty much set for good. The cash will eventually ring fence the Premier League with the same 4 or 5 clubs taking turns to get relegated and promoted back. We got in and got established at just the right time.
5th Season Syndrome on 00:56 - Sep 19 with 749 viewsGlyn1

6th Season Update.

Only three clubs have ever been relegated after six seasons in the Premier League: Derby, Leicester and West Ham. We are one of eight teams never to have been relegated from the Premier League - see Tummer's list for the others.

PS Six seasons in the top division? Bloody great.
[Post edited 19 Sep 2016 1:09]

5th Season Syndrome on 07:32 - Sep 19 with 683 viewsTrundle10

5th Season Syndrome on 00:56 - Sep 19 by Glyn1

6th Season Update.

Only three clubs have ever been relegated after six seasons in the Premier League: Derby, Leicester and West Ham. We are one of eight teams never to have been relegated from the Premier League - see Tummer's list for the others.

PS Six seasons in the top division? Bloody great.
[Post edited 19 Sep 2016 1:09]

Are we relegated yet? Ffs, was it worth dragging this nonsense up?
5th Season Syndrome on 19:51 - Sep 19 with 613 viewsGlyn1

5th Season Syndrome on 07:32 - Sep 19 by Trundle10

Yes, if it makes the point that the longer you stay in the top division, the less and less likely you are to be relegated. With Vil!a being last season's obvious exception. I'm still backing last season's two survivors to struggle with 'second season syndrome' as well as the three who were promoted this time around.

Six years in the PL means we're an established side who have built up our training facilities, medical staff etc. To make us any sort of relegation favourite is mistaken.

5th Season Syndrome on 23:08 - Sep 19 with 567 viewsCatullus

5th Season Syndrome on 19:51 - Sep 19 by Glyn1

Yes, if it makes the point that the longer you stay in the top division, the less and less likely you are to be relegated. With Vil!a being last season's obvious exception. I'm still backing last season's two survivors to struggle with 'second season syndrome' as well as the three who were promoted this time around.

Six years in the PL means we're an established side who have built up our training facilities, medical staff etc. To make us any sort of relegation favourite is mistaken.

I think the evidence thus far is that we could well struggle. Getting to 6 years is no cast iron guarantee and we are somewhat good at bucking trends!
We have spent a lot on infrastructure but this season the team needed more strengthening than it got.
Bookies aren't often very wrong. And this big club nonsense from so far back is depressing, big clubs can afford to spend over 20 million on one player and pay him 100k per week, and have several players of that ilk. We are relatively rich but nowhere near big. Newcastle and Villa are still much bigger, even with less recent success. There is a huge gap between us and the top 6/7.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

5th Season Syndrome on 10:08 - Sep 20 with 486 viewsLeonisGod

5th Season Syndrome on 07:32 - Sep 19 by Trundle10

Doesn't hurt to remind people what a fantastic achievement it's been. Seems a lot take it for granted and start having a huff when we're below mid-table.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024