Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Do you think players get the most out of the Swansea area? 19:07 - Jan 16 with 2159 viewsJack_The_Groove

Alright, I'm biased but I always think that Swansea is a bit of a best kept secret and always expect players to be pleasantly surprised by the area when they arrive here.
On their wages they can afford a lovely pad somewhere on the Gower with a sea view and take advantage of some of the most beautiful beaches and coastline in the UK. Swansea is also a very friendly city (discounting many on this board lol) and on the whole they are treated with respect by the fans. It's a proper community club and that's a good thing.
Players like Alan Tate, Lee Trundle, Leon, Angel and others have come from afar and really embraced the area and made it their home. All of the above clearly have a genuine affection for the area. They are one of us!
But what of players like Shelvey, Sinclair, Bony etc. Loved - (cough) initially - by the fans, with a chance to be fan favourites if they stay and perform, but ultimately they can't get away quick enough. Do you think there will ever be regret? Will they ever miss the ugly beautiful town? Do they hold Swansea with any fondness, or was it just another club that just happened to pay their wages and no more?

Poll: Who do you dislike more

Do you think players get the most out of the Swansea area? on 19:11 - Jan 16 with 2131 viewsJackfath

I think the players you've mentioned are wise to leave when offered longer, more lucrative contracts. I think anyone who thinks they should stay as it's a nice place to live is a fool and a liar if they say they wouldn't up sticks for an extra 10k or more a week. Let's not forget their careers could be over the next time they go out on the pitch.

Good luck to them I say, and I don't begrudge any one of them.

As for Tate, Trundle, Leon and Angel, they have realised their limit and been very well rewarded for it too.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Do you think players get the most out of the Swansea area? on 19:21 - Jan 16 with 2062 viewsplasjack

A club from outer space with enough money could compete in the P/L its not about geography its about big fat contracts, ask Jonjo would he honestly go to Newcastle for the love of it, after all he is a londoner.
Do you think players get the most out of the Swansea area? on 19:24 - Jan 16 with 2038 viewsdeanscfc

Do you think players get the most out of the Swansea area? on 19:11 - Jan 16 by Jackfath

I think the players you've mentioned are wise to leave when offered longer, more lucrative contracts. I think anyone who thinks they should stay as it's a nice place to live is a fool and a liar if they say they wouldn't up sticks for an extra 10k or more a week. Let's not forget their careers could be over the next time they go out on the pitch.

As for Tate, Trundle, Leon and Angel, they have realised their limit and been very well rewarded for it too.

Spot on
Do you think players get the most out of the Swansea area? on 19:32 - Jan 16 with 1965 viewsbonymine

Do you think players get the most out of the Swansea area? on 19:11 - Jan 16 by Jackfath

Spot on Fath.

What I would say is back in my early days of supporting the Swans from the mid 70's into the 80's when money was not the overriding motivational factor to footballers and salaries were not as 'stellar' as they are today, a lot more of our players made a 'lifestyle choice' to remain in the Swansea/Gower area with their families after their playing days were over.

However, the world today is a much smaller place with global travel etc and players' aspirations and expectations are now 'off the scale' compared to where they were all those years ago.

A pleasant thought provoking trip down memory lane that ....

Poll: Why is this site so quiet these days ?

Do you think players get the most out of the Swansea area? on 19:34 - Jan 16 with 1955 viewsRevJames

Good post.

I often wonder if the winter weather has an impact on morale and consequently performance on the pitch - especially on overseas players; but then again it rains everywhere else in the UK, not just in Wales.

It's been mentioned before on here: most players will go where they'll get paid most and good old fashioned club loyalty is on the whole long gone. Rarely do any players who leave Swansea for the bigger clubs actually enhance their career other than in their wallet.

Back to the point, while Swansea city centre needs a massive makeover I'd choose living on the Gower over Stoke, Sunderland, London or Manchester any day
Do you think players get the most out of the Swansea area? on 19:35 - Jan 16 with 1947 viewsPozuelosSideys

People see different things in different areas.

I would imagine most young blokes earning paploads of cash a week find South Wales a bit dull tbh, especially compared to London etc - there is nothing much to do. You may not like that, but its true. Look at Sinclair and his Mrs as well, their other halves have opinions and the players have to listen.

Saying that, its all about coin really.

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Do you think players get the most out of the Swansea area? on 19:41 - Jan 16 with 1894 viewsOldjack

They're all bloody mercenaries ready to up sticks to the highest bidder at the drop of a hat

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

Do you think players get the most out of the Swansea area? on 19:43 - Jan 16 with 1878 viewsskippyjack

Do you think players get the most out of the Swansea area? on 19:41 - Jan 16 by Oldjack

They're all bloody mercenaries ready to up sticks to the highest bidder at the drop of a hat

Like everyone on earth you mean?

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

Login to get fewer ads

Do you think players get the most out of the Swansea area? on 19:44 - Jan 16 with 1874 viewsplasjack

Do you think players get the most out of the Swansea area? on 19:34 - Jan 16 by RevJames

Good post.

I often wonder if the winter weather has an impact on morale and consequently performance on the pitch - especially on overseas players; but then again it rains everywhere else in the UK, not just in Wales.

It's been mentioned before on here: most players will go where they'll get paid most and good old fashioned club loyalty is on the whole long gone. Rarely do any players who leave Swansea for the bigger clubs actually enhance their career other than in their wallet.

Back to the point, while Swansea city centre needs a massive makeover I'd choose living on the Gower over Stoke, Sunderland, London or Manchester any day

Off subject you do brew a nice beer.
Do you think players get the most out of the Swansea area? on 20:19 - Jan 16 with 1769 viewsbonymine

Do you think players get the most out of the Swansea area? on 19:44 - Jan 16 by plasjack

Off subject you do brew a nice beer.

See you down in Loughor tomorrow for a Sunday lunchtime tipple ....

Poll: Why is this site so quiet these days ?

Do you think players get the most out of the Swansea area? on 20:46 - Jan 16 with 1707 viewsjack247

I doubt many of them care much about Gower etc.

They will all be different, but I'd imagine the key factors for most are money and proximity to big cities. It's not the same as a retired couple coming down here and falling in love with the coastal walks.
Do you think players get the most out of the Swansea area? on 22:20 - Jan 16 with 1577 viewsdickythorpe

Not many live in Wales let alone sa postcode area.
Do you think players get the most out of the Swansea area? on 22:29 - Jan 16 with 1550 viewsjamieswan78

A lot used to live in Birchgrove, Shelvey lived in Glais.
Do you think players get the most out of the Swansea area? on 22:41 - Jan 16 with 1513 viewscontroversial_jack

Do you think players get the most out of the Swansea area? on 22:29 - Jan 16 by jamieswan78

No wonder he left
Do you think players get the most out of the Swansea area? on 23:01 - Jan 16 with 1451 viewsEdmundo

Do you think players get the most out of the Swansea area? on 22:29 - Jan 16 by jamieswan78

They've all moved out now (Parc Brynheulog) and moved onto better/bigger pads (with the added revenue of the Prem).

Think there's a few Ospreys left though.....paupers 😉

Swansea City-Officially the best football team in Wales-FACT

Do you think players get the most out of the Swansea area? on 00:28 - Jan 17 with 1333 viewsItchySphincter

Do you think players get the most out of the Swansea area? on 19:32 - Jan 16 by bonymine

Spot on Fath.

What I would say is back in my early days of supporting the Swans from the mid 70's into the 80's when money was not the overriding motivational factor to footballers and salaries were not as 'stellar' as they are today, a lot more of our players made a 'lifestyle choice' to remain in the Swansea/Gower area with their families after their playing days were over.

However, the world today is a much smaller place with global travel etc and players' aspirations and expectations are now 'off the scale' compared to where they were all those years ago.

A pleasant thought provoking trip down memory lane that ....

When we were in the lower leagues the lack of incentive for our players to progress was a curse rather than a blessing. If you were a Mark Code or Shaun Chapple earning a grand a week playing for the Swans the last thing you'd need is promotion and transfer to the likes of Rochdale or Halifax because you're not up to it anymore. Like all the DSS going to live in Hove,much better than Luton for the same spondoolies.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024