Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Employment advice 15:35 - Feb 12 with 10225 viewsJack11

Hoping for some advice on an employment matter. Today my partner was given a letter from her employers about possible redundancy, with the meeting taking place Monday at 2pm. She has been given the option of bringing a "suitably qualified trade union official" with her. I want her to have that support as the boss is piece of work and I want her treated fairly. She is not a union member and neither am I. I'm guessing it's like car insurance where you can't buy it after a bump e.g we can't join a union for an existing matter, albeit only a couple of hours. Any help on this would be appreciated as I want her fairly represented in front of her scumbag boss.
Employment advice on 08:55 - Feb 13 with 1739 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Employment advice on 08:24 - Feb 13 by jackportis

My advice is this. Cut out the union. Seek the advice of a local solicitor who deals with employment law. Contact them they will give you support.

F*ck me, why didn't I think of that?????

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Employment advice on 09:04 - Feb 13 with 1736 viewsjackportis

Employment advice on 08:55 - Feb 13 by Brynmill_Jack

F*ck me, why didn't I think of that?????

Yes. Next they will be looking for advice on a football forum.

Jackportis the brand. “A gifted poster”, “planet swans have a real talent on their hands in the name of Jackportis” sky sports 2018. . JP fully supports posters of LBG, mx orientation and ethnic minority groups. Update - now fully supporting the pansexual community.

Employment advice on 09:18 - Feb 13 with 1715 viewsItchySphincter

Employment advice on 16:28 - Feb 12 by Jack11

Thanks for the replies guys - I appreciate the sentiments and the good advice too. It's potential, so he might be decent and accommodating. I doubt it though, so will get on the case with the union and pass these pieces of advice on to my other half too. YJB.

The point of this meeting should be a benefit to your wife and she should be able to take in any representative she chooses, union member or not.

I've been through the process twice and how it plays out depends on the way the company wants to play it and how many staff they have.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Employment advice on 09:32 - Feb 13 with 1713 viewsItchySphincter

Employment advice on 22:12 - Feb 12 by Swanzay

I witnessed at 1st hand last year the HR approach of redundancy, believe me its saying goodbye with a smile and saying sorry etc. whilst being the devil that is HR.

Some background to how it really works!

Months of planning goes into it prior to letters being sent out, believe me.

HR will have a list of all employees at least 6 months in advance, they look number of things.

Days off sick per annum
Your earnings
Are you pro company?
Performance
Have you been a negative towards managers objectives (even if they were ridiculous tw@ts)?

They will then have a data base of potential 'keep' employees for their current positions and then another pool of where they will want to keep certain employees (brown nose) but redeploy them.

The others who fit none of the above are then made redundant.

The next stage is the company legal team who identify who’s in a union or could cause problems. This then get fed to the companies legal team at least 3 months prior to announcement so that they can prepare a case against an individual incase the decided to bring the matter to a tribunal.
The threat will put most employees of asking questions after the redundancy has occurred (scare mongering).

Sadly don’t thing its happened in the last 2 weeks, this has been planned for at least 4 months in advance!

Im sorry to hear!

It depends on the size of the company mun. First time it happened to me it was in a company employing hundreds. I was laid of in December but available for work, then there was a 90 day consultation period which didn't begin until March the following year. Because I opted for voluntary I was on full pay throughout accruing holiday pay etc and I got a decent wedge and they even turned a blind eye to me taking other jobs, in fact I put my notice in and they shredded it.

Second time was a smaller company belonging to a group of companies owned by venture capitalists and the rules are different - a 30 day bombshell was dropped and they paid the absolute minimum, they even tried to wriggle out of that. I wasn't made redundant but I refused to re interview for my own job and they just told me I wasn't going to be let go. I left three months later.

Not every process is the same.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Employment advice on 09:59 - Feb 13 with 1699 views3swan

As someone posted earlier. They won't advise or take sides etc but will help you understand your legal position

Make a few notes before ringing them so you don't forget to mention everything

ACAS

Use Helpline Online to ask a question.
You can also call an Acas helpline adviser on 0300 123 1100 (8am-8pm Monday to Friday and 9am-1pm Saturday).

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1410
Employment advice on 10:06 - Feb 13 with 1691 viewseddie71

Employment advice on 17:18 - Feb 12 by MrSwerve

What's the point in paying to be in a union if you can join just after you have a problem at work?

Because people would only join if there is a problem at work. It's a bit like asking what is the point in house insurance if you can't join after you have had a fire.
Employment advice on 10:39 - Feb 13 with 1675 viewsBloodyhills

Employment advice on 08:24 - Feb 13 by jackportis

My advice is this. Cut out the union. Seek the advice of a local solicitor who deals with employment law. Contact them they will give you support.

Last time I went to a solicitors they were asking £250 per hour plus VAT to just chat about whether they would be able to do what I needed them to do and the secreatary said she didn't think they would. Go and get some advice from Citizens advice if any are still open and look up employment law and go along with your wife.

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

Employment advice on 10:44 - Feb 13 with 1671 viewsWhiterockin

Employment advice on 09:59 - Feb 13 by 3swan

As someone posted earlier. They won't advise or take sides etc but will help you understand your legal position

Make a few notes before ringing them so you don't forget to mention everything

ACAS

Use Helpline Online to ask a question.
You can also call an Acas helpline adviser on 0300 123 1100 (8am-8pm Monday to Friday and 9am-1pm Saturday).

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1410

Agree with this 100%. I have been through this a couple of times and ACAS is the way to go.

Phone them and they answer the phone quite quickly. They will ask you questions and if you don't have all the answers you can phone them back. Although the principles are the same many individual cases differ. Size of company, length of service, number going are ONLY A FEW of the points.

Listen to ACAS and do what they say. As for the legal route, I needed to follow this on one occasion at the insistence of my employer (they paid) and the law firm only wanted to drag it out (to comply with all legislation) basically to earn as much as they can.

If you research on the internet. Make sure you are researching on a UK site not American (obviously different legislation) easy mistake to make. Make sure the legislation is up to date as employment law legislation changed recently. This is particularly relevant if getting advice of forums, as this could be old advice.

Finally never listen to opinions to be taken as fact. Only use advice from people who know the relevant law. Please note that apart from contacting ACAS I have not advised you on employment law as I think my knowledge is a year or so out of date.

Good luck.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024