Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group 23:50 - Jun 9 with 9544 viewsTummer_from_Texas

This is kind of out of nowhere, but interesting nonetheless.

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2016/06/09/landon-donovan-swansea-city-ownership

Landon is the all time leader in scoring for the national team with 57 goals (although Texan Clint Dempsey with 50 will probably catch him).

POTY 2015
Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 18:08 - Jun 10 with 2009 viewsjacktar

USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 14:53 - Jun 10 by Professor

I thinks Lisa's point encapsulates how important this may be. I hope the new men lead us to glorious success. With change there is both risk and opportunity

Spot on prof.

We shouldn't all be tarred with the same brush you know!

USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 21:34 - Jun 10 with 1890 viewsSwansNZ

USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 14:36 - Jun 10 by Jango

yet again people putting a negative spin on anything coming out of the club! Donovan is the biggest name in 'soccer' in the USA, this could be marketing genius!

Yep, this is probably why they are keeping Dineen on, for his ability to exploit such commercial opportunities.

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 21:41 - Jun 10 with 1877 viewsWarwickHunt

USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 21:34 - Jun 10 by SwansNZ

Yep, this is probably why they are keeping Dineen on, for his ability to exploit such commercial opportunities.

He's already asked him if he can bring Kylie to the LIberty for a photo opp.
USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 23:51 - Jun 10 with 1732 viewsThursday

USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 21:41 - Jun 10 by WarwickHunt

That was a little too in excess.
USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 01:37 - Jun 11 with 1692 viewsGlyn1

How old is he - 35? Younger than Pirlo anyway. Could still do a job for us as a sub.

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 01:43 - Jun 11 with 1683 viewsTummer_from_Texas

USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 01:37 - Jun 11 by Glyn1

How old is he - 35? Younger than Pirlo anyway. Could still do a job for us as a sub.

Only 34 actually. Yet Klinnsman left him out of the 2014 WC squad for some idiotic reason.

POTY 2015
Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 12:01 - Jun 11 with 1592 viewsWarwickHunt

USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 23:51 - Jun 10 by Thursday

That was a little too in excess.

Just a fleeting visit - she wouldn't have to hang around.
USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 14:50 - Jun 11 with 1550 viewslondonlisa2001

USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 21:41 - Jun 10 by WarwickHunt

They started to set up a skiffle group before someone told them it wasn't actually Lonnie Donegan...
Login to get fewer ads

USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 14:53 - Jun 11 with 1545 viewsWarwickHunt

USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 14:50 - Jun 11 by londonlisa2001

They started to set up a skiffle group before someone told them it wasn't actually Lonnie Donegan...

Showing your age there, Lis...
USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 14:56 - Jun 11 with 1537 viewsLohengrin

For the children on here left scratching their heads....

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 14:58 - Jun 11 with 1532 viewslondonlisa2001

USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 14:53 - Jun 11 by WarwickHunt

Showing your age there, Lis...

Yeah - you might be right !!

Although I distinctly remember the Swans crowd in rousing chorus relatively recently singing that Donegan favourite My Old Man's a Dustman. Although from memory the words had been changed a little ...
USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 15:04 - Jun 11 with 1517 viewslondonlisa2001

USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 14:56 - Jun 11 by Lohengrin

For the children on here left scratching their heads....

Was just trying to remember the name of the skiffle group that were popular for a while when I was young - Stray Cats I think it was.

Most people our age had a knowledge of Lonnie Donegan as our parents or grandparents liked him I suppose.
USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 15:12 - Jun 11 with 1505 viewsLohengrin

USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 15:04 - Jun 11 by londonlisa2001

Was just trying to remember the name of the skiffle group that were popular for a while when I was young - Stray Cats I think it was.

Most people our age had a knowledge of Lonnie Donegan as our parents or grandparents liked him I suppose.

The Stray Cats were never a Skiffle outfit, mun!!

Skiffle was a short lived fad for white, mostly jazz musos who enjoyed rehashing old Leadbelly and Woody Guthrie tunes. Corny as it was it sparked a mania for guitars and without it Briatin's musical landscape would look very different today.

USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 15:31 - Jun 11 with 1485 viewsmonmouth

Is skiffle something like bluegrass? Or is that something different again?

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 16:06 - Jun 11 with 1452 viewsLohengrin

USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 15:31 - Jun 11 by monmouth

Is skiffle something like bluegrass? Or is that something different again?

Skiffle, or more specifically Lonnie Donegan himself did look toward Bill Monroe for a measure of inspiration. If you think you hear a few similarities they are intentional but pretty superficial. Bluegrass was and still is largely the preserve of expert players, Skiffle was played for fun with an ad-hoc feel.

Good fun though and it's still around today if you know where to look, Mon.

USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 16:32 - Jun 11 with 1417 viewssnork44

USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 15:12 - Jun 11 by Lohengrin

Skiffle was a short lived fad for white, mostly jazz musos who enjoyed rehashing old Leadbelly and Woody Guthrie tunes. Corny as it was it sparked a mania for guitars and without it Briatin's musical landscape would look very different today.

Brian Setzer what a legend.

Premier Snork now watching from the USA
Poll: What do you prefer on Planet Swans after a game?

USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 19:35 - Jun 11 with 1329 viewslondonlisa2001

USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 15:12 - Jun 11 by Lohengrin

Wasn't it them? My mistake. I have a recollection of boys with a tea chest bass and washboard on TOTP and thought it was the Stray Cats. I largely remember as I had to listen to my Dad regaling me with stories about the skiffle group they had in Courtney Street in the 50s :-)
USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 00:51 - Jun 12 with 1258 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Stray Cats were known as being Rockabilly at the time.

Hugely successful for about a year in the early 80's, but luckily it didn't start much of a fad.

POTY 2015

USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 01:03 - Jun 12 with 1251 viewsLohengrin

USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 00:51 - Jun 12 by Tummer_from_Texas

Stray Cats were known as being Rockabilly at the time.

Hugely successful for about a year in the early 80's, but luckily it didn't start much of a fad.

Carl Perkins defined Rockabilly as Country Music on Benzedrine. That's seems to me as accurate as you're likely to get, Tum.

Setzer and co may have worn their influences on their sleeve but they were still children of their time, not their parent's. If you listen to their early '80s albums in their entirety there's not much in the way of authentic Rockabilly in there at all.

Brian Setzer though, it has to be said, was/still is an ace player.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024