Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group 23:50 - Jun 9 with 9543 viewsTummer_from_Texas

This is kind of out of nowhere, but interesting nonetheless.

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2016/06/09/landon-donovan-swansea-city-ownership

Landon is the all time leader in scoring for the national team with 57 goals (although Texan Clint Dempsey with 50 will probably catch him).

POTY 2015
Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 10:54 - Jun 10 with 2075 viewsLandore_Jack

Sources close to the American camp, meanwhile, have stressed that Indonesian businessman Erick Thohir will not be coming on board at Swansea.

Thohir, who owns part of DC United along with Levien, has this week agreed to sell his controlling stake in Inter Milan, but that not is a precursor to him getting involved in SA1.

#backtojack

USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 11:11 - Jun 10 with 2030 viewsKGriz16

USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 01:14 - Jun 10 by nyc_swans

wow.

best american player ever. will certainly drive some interest to the team. seems like a pretty decent person too.

Brad Friedel? Tim Howard? Clint Dempsey?
USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 11:13 - Jun 10 with 2018 viewsLoyal

USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 09:11 - Jun 10 by Clinton

Also, he could do with a shave.

And maybe a bit of experience in the areas they say he will be involved in ?
Kicking a ball about in the general direction of where it should go doesn't qualify him do do shit IMO.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2016 11:14]

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 11:13 - Jun 10 with 2018 viewsNeiltheTaylor

USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 04:42 - Jun 10 by JoeSoccerFan

This only gets worse.

Donovan was a very talented American player. But, he's a self-centered egotistical, whiny little bitch. What makes him qualified to advise on any soccer discussion regarding the premier league. Sure, he played internationally and in the Premier League (on loan to Everton) and German league (BL). But, he didn't fight for his position - instead returning to the US. He prefers to be a big fish in a small pond. I question his "determination" and his .

Does Huw really need "help"? Great, more people putting input for decisions.

It certainly qualifies him to be one of our supporters!

Joe_bradshaw -I thought the cryochamber was the new name for Cardiff's stadium.

USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 12:00 - Jun 10 with 1950 viewswhiterock

USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 03:13 - Jun 10 by nyc_swans

in which part of the city will you be staying?

if in midtown/time square area, go to Football Factory. let me know if you have any other questions.

Signed Swans shirt in the FF
USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 12:57 - Jun 10 with 1850 viewsnyc_swans

USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 11:11 - Jun 10 by KGriz16

Brad Friedel? Tim Howard? Clint Dempsey?

Donovan miles better. There will always be plenty who resent him for not spending more time in Europe, but the most talented American by far.
USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 13:00 - Jun 10 with 1839 viewsswanjackal

USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 12:57 - Jun 10 by nyc_swans

Donovan miles better. There will always be plenty who resent him for not spending more time in Europe, but the most talented American by far.

Preki? John Harkes? Cobi Jones?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 13:46 - Jun 10 with 1748 viewslondonlisa2001

Comes to something when one of our owners would probably do a better job up front than one of our forwards.

The way they make money on this deal has always been partly about tapping in to the U.S. market when it eventually explodes. Donovan would seem from the outside to be as good a person as any to have involved in that particular part of the strategy as he'd be one of the few players that I imagine any American sports fan would know.
Login to get fewer ads

USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 13:54 - Jun 10 with 1731 viewsdickythorpe

I'd like to hear him sing before each home game, maybe get Kylie along to sing that duet they did.
USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 14:03 - Jun 10 with 1716 viewsProfessor

USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 13:46 - Jun 10 by londonlisa2001

Comes to something when one of our owners would probably do a better job up front than one of our forwards.

The way they make money on this deal has always been partly about tapping in to the U.S. market when it eventually explodes. Donovan would seem from the outside to be as good a person as any to have involved in that particular part of the strategy as he'd be one of the few players that I imagine any American sports fan would know.

A good point Lisa. He may be a 'figurehead' for a drive into the US market. As you say it is coming from grassroots up. The head injury issues in the NFL are pushing association football forward with parents. Kids will start to follow the professional game including the PL-could be a lucrative market. The new owners want a profit and a successful club is the way forward. Americans also like a bit of 'story' and link to community the NFL (except the Packers) have lost. Hopefully they will follow the FSG model-improvment whilst keeping tradition and listening when they get it wrong with Liverpool and Anfield and the Red Sox at Fenway Park
USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 14:07 - Jun 10 with 1708 viewspikeypaul

Maybe we will have this prior to each game at the Liberty.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2016 14:15]

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 14:20 - Jun 10 with 1676 viewslondonlisa2001

USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 14:03 - Jun 10 by Professor

A good point Lisa. He may be a 'figurehead' for a drive into the US market. As you say it is coming from grassroots up. The head injury issues in the NFL are pushing association football forward with parents. Kids will start to follow the professional game including the PL-could be a lucrative market. The new owners want a profit and a successful club is the way forward. Americans also like a bit of 'story' and link to community the NFL (except the Packers) have lost. Hopefully they will follow the FSG model-improvment whilst keeping tradition and listening when they get it wrong with Liverpool and Anfield and the Red Sox at Fenway Park

I'd imagine that's exactly what he'll be. Plus he'll be someone that the owners turn to to see what he thinks on football issues and wider commercial stuff particularly in the States.

Can't imagine he'll have any input at all into the day to day stuff at the club despite what some U.S. outlets have reported.
USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 14:22 - Jun 10 with 1670 viewsLeonisGod

USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 04:42 - Jun 10 by JoeSoccerFan

This only gets worse.

Donovan was a very talented American player. But, he's a self-centered egotistical, whiny little bitch. What makes him qualified to advise on any soccer discussion regarding the premier league. Sure, he played internationally and in the Premier League (on loan to Everton) and German league (BL). But, he didn't fight for his position - instead returning to the US. He prefers to be a big fish in a small pond. I question his "determination" and his .

No Huw doesn't need help. Makes you wonder how much of a role in decision making Huw will have though if they're recruited Donovan to help with football related decisions. If this is the case, things could get messy.

Or it could just be a publicity stunt, in which case it's a non-issue.

Villa imploded due to the decision making being divorced from the club and then poor governance with a high turnover of CEOs/chairmen, etc. That needs to be a lesson for our new owners. We have (had) an excellent management structure here and they need to use it rather than try and take over the show.
USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 14:27 - Jun 10 with 1661 viewsdailew

This only gets worse.

Totally agree with this.

Foreign owner takes over and brings in people they think know better.

See Scumdiff.

However, according to the Brains Trust, Jenkins needs all the help he can get.

All he's ever done is help save the Swans from semi-pro oblivion then guide them to three promotions and to becoming an established side in the worlds greatest football league while moving to a new ground and new training facilities etc.

All this on a balanced budget while competing against clubs that overspent by hundreds of millions of pounds. Clearly needs help.

Poll: Would you like Rodgers back as the new manager ?

USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 14:31 - Jun 10 with 1649 viewsLeonisGod

USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 14:27 - Jun 10 by dailew

Totally agree with this.

Foreign owner takes over and brings in people they think know better.

See Scumdiff.

However, according to the Brains Trust, Jenkins needs all the help he can get.

All he's ever done is help save the Swans from semi-pro oblivion then guide them to three promotions and to becoming an established side in the worlds greatest football league while moving to a new ground and new training facilities etc.

All this on a balanced budget while competing against clubs that overspent by hundreds of millions of pounds. Clearly needs help.

If this is what's happening I completely agree. There's too little in those reports for us to jump to conclusions though. Donovan may have no input and they may just let Huw get on with things.

(although the pessimist in me is expecting the new owners to f*ck things up).
USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 14:36 - Jun 10 with 1511 viewsJango

yet again people putting a negative spin on anything coming out of the club! Donovan is the biggest name in 'soccer' in the USA, this could be marketing genius!
USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 14:53 - Jun 10 with 1483 viewsProfessor

USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 14:36 - Jun 10 by Jango

yet again people putting a negative spin on anything coming out of the club! Donovan is the biggest name in 'soccer' in the USA, this could be marketing genius!

I thinks Lisa's point encapsulates how important this may be. I hope the new men lead us to glorious success. With change there is both risk and opportunity
USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 15:29 - Jun 10 with 1417 viewstomdickharry

Point me in the direction where our new owners have said anything about future policy,lets wait until they are approved by the Premier League and have issued a statement,all at the moment is supposition based on fresh air.
USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 15:32 - Jun 10 with 1410 viewslondonlisa2001

USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 15:29 - Jun 10 by tomdickharry

Point me in the direction where our new owners have said anything about future policy,lets wait until they are approved by the Premier League and have issued a statement,all at the moment is supposition based on fresh air.

To be fair TDH, my assumption is that the stuff in the local press has their stamp of approval on it (as they seem to be acting as their mouthpiece). And there have been a few things said - none of which seem alarming by the way.

This stuff on Donovan is transparently coming from within the camp.
USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 15:51 - Jun 10 with 1384 viewsdougie

USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 12:57 - Jun 10 by nyc_swans

And that means he is experienced enough to have an influence on our club ?. I really hope not. Disaster written all over it
USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 15:59 - Jun 10 with 1369 viewstomdickharry

USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 15:32 - Jun 10 by londonlisa2001

To be fair TDH, my assumption is that the stuff in the local press has their stamp of approval on it (as they seem to be acting as their mouthpiece). And there have been a few things said - none of which seem alarming by the way.

This stuff on Donovan is transparently coming from within the camp.

No problem.
Being reported on Villa Talk that the Villa takeover has been approved by the PL and FL authorities,our shouldn't be long now so perhaps by the end of next week we will have some concrete facts to talk about.
USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 16:01 - Jun 10 with 1366 viewsnyc_swans

USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 15:51 - Jun 10 by dougie

And that means he is experienced enough to have an influence on our club ?. I really hope not. Disaster written all over it

i'm just making a comment that he's massively influential. nobody yet knows what he will be doing with the club, and IMO it's not worth the brand of melodrama that seems to accompany everything that's happening these days.
USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 16:48 - Jun 10 with 1306 viewsMurph75

Meet our next manager everyone.
USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 17:43 - Jun 10 with 1240 viewsphact0rri

he's also an ex everton player... *whistles*

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 18:07 - Jun 10 with 1218 viewsjacktar

USA legend Landon Donovan joins Swans ownership group on 16:01 - Jun 10 by nyc_swans

i'm just making a comment that he's massively influential. nobody yet knows what he will be doing with the club, and IMO it's not worth the brand of melodrama that seems to accompany everything that's happening these days.

My thoughts exactly.

We shouldn't all be tarred with the same brush you know!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024