Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A-Level results 16:58 - Aug 16 with 2624 viewscsf

Anyone else gone through results today? My stepson has spent 10 months refusing to consider Uni on the prospect of bad results, only to get good results and decide this morning that he fancied it.

Got through clearing and is now doing History at the uni. Wonderful result save the year of lethargy!!

A-Level results on 17:31 - Aug 16 with 2584 viewsItchySphincter

Too easy.

Well done to him.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

(No subject) (n/t) on 23:56 - Aug 16 with 2490 viewsmajorraglan

Glad to hear your boy got what he wanted, he should be very proud of his achievement.

My eldest had his results today. He applied for Uni last year but wasn’t really 100% sure of what he wanted to do. As time has passed, he has become more unsure about his choice of course and what he wants to do and earlier this year he started talking about taking a gap year.
He had his results today and just missed out on his first choice at Bristol, but he had an offer from Cardiff which was his second choice. He is not taking the Cardiff offer and is sticking with the gap year as he is still unsure about what he wants to study or whether he even wants to go to Uni.

I am concerned as to what he is going to do, but given the costs associated with going to Uni i would rather he takes the time to make his decision as opposed to dropping out after a year with nothing to show except a load of debt.

Kids.......
[Post edited 17 Aug 2018 0:14]
(No subject) (n/t) on 01:15 - Aug 17 with 2466 viewsjackforever

(No subject) (n/t) on 23:56 - Aug 16 by majorraglan

Glad to hear your boy got what he wanted, he should be very proud of his achievement.

My eldest had his results today. He applied for Uni last year but wasn’t really 100% sure of what he wanted to do. As time has passed, he has become more unsure about his choice of course and what he wants to do and earlier this year he started talking about taking a gap year.
He had his results today and just missed out on his first choice at Bristol, but he had an offer from Cardiff which was his second choice. He is not taking the Cardiff offer and is sticking with the gap year as he is still unsure about what he wants to study or whether he even wants to go to Uni.

I am concerned as to what he is going to do, but given the costs associated with going to Uni i would rather he takes the time to make his decision as opposed to dropping out after a year with nothing to show except a load of debt.

Kids.......

My daughter also just missed her first choice but has been accepted into her second choice. I think your son for what it's worth is doing exactly the right thing. I was in his position many years ago and ended up doing my degree in a subject I ended up hating. Waste of three years but back then no debt, grants and a year in industry so graduated with money in the bank.
Take a year, try things, get advice, talk to as many people as possible and go from there.
A-Level results on 08:50 - Aug 17 with 2387 viewsMrSwerve

I teach at a University and am also an admissions tutor, so it was a very hectic day as usual for me! It’ll go on for a good week or so yet, including the weekend.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

(No subject) (n/t) on 08:53 - Aug 17 with 2381 viewsMrSwerve

(No subject) (n/t) on 01:15 - Aug 17 by jackforever

My daughter also just missed her first choice but has been accepted into her second choice. I think your son for what it's worth is doing exactly the right thing. I was in his position many years ago and ended up doing my degree in a subject I ended up hating. Waste of three years but back then no debt, grants and a year in industry so graduated with money in the bank.
Take a year, try things, get advice, talk to as many people as possible and go from there.

Sound advice.

One of my biggest regrets is not taking a year out to evaluate what I wanted from my future and make a more informed decision on my choice of university and course. Wouldn’t have hurt to have a bit of fun too!

(No subject) (n/t) on 09:20 - Aug 17 with 2353 viewslonglostjack

(No subject) (n/t) on 23:56 - Aug 16 by majorraglan

Kids.......

Tell him to check out Universities in the Netherlands. He#d save a fortune on tuition fees.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

(No subject) (n/t) on 11:19 - Aug 17 with 2303 viewsMrSwerve

(No subject) (n/t) on 09:20 - Aug 17 by longlostjack

Tell him to check out Universities in the Netherlands. He#d save a fortune on tuition fees.

And spend a fortune on weed

A-Level results on 12:03 - Aug 17 with 2269 viewstrampie

There are too many people going to university, universities are failing the country, UK slipping down various league tables as a result.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Login to get fewer ads

A-Level results on 13:25 - Aug 17 with 2233 viewsProfessor

A-Level results on 12:03 - Aug 17 by trampie

There are too many people going to university, universities are failing the country, UK slipping down various league tables as a result.

Not the fault of people, but a change in expectation of 5-10% of people going to University to much closer to 50%. The changes post 1992 mean we have 132 UK universities. in 1991 there were 46 plus 29 polytechnics. There is a desire amongst some Tories to allow private universities which could less to further expansion. Current policy is very driven that universities are just where you get a degree and increasingly are an extension of school rather than a centre of knowledge, though and ideas.
A-Level results on 13:31 - Aug 17 with 2220 viewstrampie

Universities are dumbing down bright pupils, they end up not being able to think for themselves, unable to problem solve and often they are not equipped for the workforce or life in general.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

A-Level results on 14:29 - Aug 17 with 2185 viewsProfessor

A-Level results on 13:31 - Aug 17 by trampie

Universities are dumbing down bright pupils, they end up not being able to think for themselves, unable to problem solve and often they are not equipped for the workforce or life in general.

It is still Ok where demand is greater or roughly equal to supply. Problems come when there are many more places than students-biological sciences is a good example. Here standards are plummeting as universities need the customer and the customer is always right. Remember for clinical degrees more than half the fees are still from central taxation-basted funding not just student fees
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024