Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Official Sheffield Wednesday Vs Swansea City Match Thread 13:41 - Feb 21 with 26146 viewsjackharris

[Post edited 23 Feb 2019 14:28]

Very proud to be voted Planet Swans Poster of the Year 2017 by my fellow posters. Especially on a site that nearly had 20 million impressions last year.
Poll: What is your favourite Knock?

The Official Sheffield Wednesday Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 19:15 - Feb 23 with 2630 viewsoldcob

The Official Sheffield Wednesday Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 18:57 - Feb 23 by LeonWasGod

I’m more worried about him hurting us than them. I know he’s filled in ok, but as a CH from a top PL team who supposedly has a reputation for being good on the ball he’s a bit underwhelming in that department. Seems to get panicked easily.

We've got to stop this playing out from the back. I lost count of the number of times we lost the ball in front of our own penalty area. Let's do the clever stuff in the opposition half. Playing out from the back is okay if the defenders have the ability to do it well. Sadly ours haven't. Less the 50% of defences in the premiership have the ability to play out from the back, so it's a big ask to ask our youngsters to do it every week no matter who the opposition is.
The Official Sheffield Wednesday Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 19:28 - Feb 23 with 2573 viewsjasper_T

The Official Sheffield Wednesday Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 19:15 - Feb 23 by oldcob

We've got to stop this playing out from the back. I lost count of the number of times we lost the ball in front of our own penalty area. Let's do the clever stuff in the opposition half. Playing out from the back is okay if the defenders have the ability to do it well. Sadly ours haven't. Less the 50% of defences in the premiership have the ability to play out from the back, so it's a big ask to ask our youngsters to do it every week no matter who the opposition is.

Problem is we don't have the tools to go long, either. There's no powerhouse to hold the ball up, and no scrappers to chase second balls. If we make it a physical contest we lose.
The Official Sheffield Wednesday Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 19:29 - Feb 23 with 2568 viewsLeonWasGod

The Official Sheffield Wednesday Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 19:15 - Feb 23 by oldcob

I like it when we do, but CBs, full backs and midfield have to be on the same wavelength. That’s the way we play through the age groups, so I think it makes sense. It’s hard to find new players who are comfortable enough to do it though.
The Official Sheffield Wednesday Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 19:59 - Feb 23 with 2449 viewsmonmouth

Got to keep trying to do it in my view but GK chips to the wings when all options in front of him are closed down. There'll be someone in space. Then move the ball quickly FORWARD through midfield. It's very frustrating the way we do it at the moment. It simply has no point.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

The Official Sheffield Wednesday Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 20:26 - Feb 23 with 2374 viewswhaleoilbeefhooked

Manchester City, bring them on !!!!
The Official Sheffield Wednesday Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 20:38 - Feb 23 with 2336 viewsoldcob

The Official Sheffield Wednesday Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 19:29 - Feb 23 by LeonWasGod

I like it when we do, but CBs, full backs and midfield have to be on the same wavelength. That’s the way we play through the age groups, so I think it makes sense. It’s hard to find new players who are comfortable enough to do it though.

I agree to an extent, trouble is every opposition team manager knows exactly how we play and how to counter it by now. An old head like Bruce had Sheff. Wed. closing us down in our own defensive third of the field. Maybe we could vary it on the odd occasion, at least that would put the opposition in two minds on how to play us when preparing in the week.
The Official Sheffield Wednesday Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 20:53 - Feb 23 with 2301 viewsploppy

So how do we get possession in the opposition half then Einstein? Lump it long and try and win second balls? Like Cardiff, or any of Pulis or Allardyce's teams - is it? Genius.
The Official Sheffield Wednesday Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 09:11 - Feb 24 with 1784 viewsoldcob

The Official Sheffield Wednesday Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 20:53 - Feb 23 by ploppy

So how do we get possession in the opposition half then Einstein? Lump it long and try and win second balls? Like Cardiff, or any of Pulis or Allardyce's teams - is it? Genius.

My point surely. We don't get enough possession in the opposition half because we keep going sideways and backwards between our penalty area and the half way line because we are unable to pass through the opposition mid-field. Thanks for the Einstein compliment, you can call me Frank.
Login to get fewer ads

The Official Sheffield Wednesday Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 09:42 - Feb 24 with 1756 viewsA_Fans_Dad

There are many reasons why our passing out from the back is not working, but most of it is down to lack of Confidence.
How can we pass it out succesfully in one match and not in another when both teams are pressing us?
How do we loose the ability to see who is available for the ball, loose the ability to make the pass, trap the ball etc.
We pass the ball back to the keeper when opposition players are closing him down and put him under massive pressure.
One of the other problems is we do not "make space" to receive the ball.
The Official Sheffield Wednesday Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 10:28 - Feb 24 with 1690 viewsploppy

The Official Sheffield Wednesday Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 09:11 - Feb 24 by oldcob

My point surely. We don't get enough possession in the opposition half because we keep going sideways and backwards between our penalty area and the half way line because we are unable to pass through the opposition mid-field. Thanks for the Einstein compliment, you can call me Frank.

The reason we're unable to pass through the midfield is due to a number of things. We're not showing for the ball - people are hiding. We're lacking confidence to play it into people in tight spaces. Some of the players in tight spaces are shockingly bad at receiving, and keeping, the ball in those areas. The biggest culprit of all is Celina. Some players aren't even looking to pass forward. Tom Carroll used to be the most guilty party, but now others are at it. For example - in the second half yesterday, Nortfeldt had the ball, and their front three had pressed up. He played it to Byers, centre field outside the box, in acres of space. Byers could have turned, made a cup of tea, and played it forward. Instead he passed it straight back to the keeper - who was immediately back in trouble. You can call me Al.
The Official Sheffield Wednesday Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 10:35 - Feb 24 with 1682 viewsunion_jack

The Official Sheffield Wednesday Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 10:28 - Feb 24 by ploppy

The reason we're unable to pass through the midfield is due to a number of things. We're not showing for the ball - people are hiding. We're lacking confidence to play it into people in tight spaces. Some of the players in tight spaces are shockingly bad at receiving, and keeping, the ball in those areas. The biggest culprit of all is Celina. Some players aren't even looking to pass forward. Tom Carroll used to be the most guilty party, but now others are at it. For example - in the second half yesterday, Nortfeldt had the ball, and their front three had pressed up. He played it to Byers, centre field outside the box, in acres of space. Byers could have turned, made a cup of tea, and played it forward. Instead he passed it straight back to the keeper - who was immediately back in trouble. You can call me Al.

Yes, nobody is actually facing forward. Always facing our own goal and passing backwards.

This is training ground stuff that should be practiced over and over. Off the ball movement is the key but ours tend to be statues waiting for the ball and when they get it, they pass it back!

Lack of confidence? Lack of desire? Lack of training? I don’t know but it’s a familiar pattern week in week out.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

The Official Sheffield Wednesday Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 12:58 - Feb 24 with 1566 viewsoldcob

The Official Sheffield Wednesday Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 10:28 - Feb 24 by ploppy

So playing through from the back isn't working then? See we're not that far apart. We went more direct, playing it forward instead of back and across second half against Brentford, that worked. First half yesterday, played back and across again, because we seemed short of confidence as you pointed out. I know which I'd rather watch every week.
The Official Sheffield Wednesday Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 13:32 - Feb 24 with 1535 viewsploppy

The Official Sheffield Wednesday Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 12:58 - Feb 24 by oldcob

So playing through from the back isn't working then? See we're not that far apart. We went more direct, playing it forward instead of back and across second half against Brentford, that worked. First half yesterday, played back and across again, because we seemed short of confidence as you pointed out. I know which I'd rather watch every week.

Well, it can work, it has worked at times, and we need it to work. I for one don't want to see my team lumping it up the field. Don't forget, second half against Brentford we were playing against 10 men for a lot of the time. The other thing I thought about yesterday was the pitch looked a bit dry and bumpy. I only saw it from a distance so may be wrong. Those types of pitches have never suited us.

I know we were poor yesterday but we gave them the first two goals. Celina (was it?) losing the ball by faffing around a la Fer in midfield. The second a horrendous mis-kick by Declan John. As was mentioned in commentary, we were comfortable up until then.
The Official Sheffield Wednesday Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 15:44 - Feb 24 with 1443 viewsoldcob

The Official Sheffield Wednesday Vs Swansea City Match Thread on 13:32 - Feb 24 by ploppy

Well, it can work, it has worked at times, and we need it to work. I for one don't want to see my team lumping it up the field. Don't forget, second half against Brentford we were playing against 10 men for a lot of the time. The other thing I thought about yesterday was the pitch looked a bit dry and bumpy. I only saw it from a distance so may be wrong. Those types of pitches have never suited us.

I know we were poor yesterday but we gave them the first two goals. Celina (was it?) losing the ball by faffing around a la Fer in midfield. The second a horrendous mis-kick by Declan John. As was mentioned in commentary, we were comfortable up until then.

Never once did I mention long ball or lumping up field. Agree on Declan John, turned his back once on what was a low soft cross. I thought it was Elton John out there, he's been known to turn his back.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024