Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Teams we have played in years gone by 12:58 - Oct 25 with 9839 viewsNewtonDale

Being drawn against Wrexham got me thinking about all of the teams (over the past 34 years that I have been a Dale fan) that we used to play in the league and some now that we rarely played.
For instance Halifax, Notts County, Yeovil, Torquay, Barnet, Hartlepool, Maidstone, Stockport, Wrexham, York, Chester, Hereford, Boston, Kidderminster, Rushden and Diamonds & Darlington are all in non-league (think Rushden may not exist anymore)
Also Oldham, Swindon, Bolton, Blackpool, Bradford, Ipswich & Portsmouth were all once top division teams.
All in all I don't think we have too much to complain about residing in the 2 lower division for all this time.
I don't think I could cope with yoyo-ing up and down the leagues and then falling into non-league!
I am very proud to be a Dale fan. We are a decently run club with a small but loyal fan base so long may it continue.
Teams we have played in years gone by on 18:32 - Oct 27 with 1134 viewsJames1980

Talking of teams old grounds. My first game was the 2-2 draw at The Withdean. Where Jones scored the equaliser right towards the end.
Surely we played at the Godstone when Brighton were in the 4th tier, I regret not going.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Teams we have played in years gone by on 18:45 - Oct 27 with 1120 viewsD_Alien

Teams we have played in years gone by on 18:32 - Oct 27 by James1980

Talking of teams old grounds. My first game was the 2-2 draw at The Withdean. Where Jones scored the equaliser right towards the end.
Surely we played at the Godstone when Brighton were in the 4th tier, I regret not going.

Before your time, but there was a game at the Goldstone in front of 27000 when Brighton secured promotion against us, although we spoilt their party with an equalizer from long range by Peter Gowans, though they only needed a point. It was on national radio, I think our first game with full commentary

Edit: it was in the third tier, btw

[Post edited 27 Oct 2019 19:18]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Teams we have played in years gone by on 19:13 - Oct 27 with 1091 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Teams we have played in years gone by on 18:15 - Oct 27 by Thacks_Rabbits

I remember going to Preston away in the FA Cup, think that was their last season there before moving to deepdale. I absolutely chucked it down all game and pretty sure we lost 3 - 0.

How the match survived god knows, but by half time I was so drenched that at least it could not get worse!

Preston have played continuously at Deepdale since 1878.

Poll: Will you be signing up to Direct Debit for Goldbond?

Teams we have played in years gone by on 19:37 - Oct 27 with 1056 viewsrichfoad32

One of my first games was at The Withdean as well, I remember it was just before Christmas 2000/2001'ish? and absolutely lashed it down. It would qualify as probably the wettest I've ever been at a football match as I was in that poxy away end about 200 yards from the pitch.

Cracking game more than made up for it, we won 4-3 with a couple of late goals. For the life of me I can't remember the scorers, perhaps somebody could oblige? I'm thinking Lee Todd might've got one?
Teams we have played in years gone by on 19:42 - Oct 27 with 1035 views442Dale

We played there in January 1997. Lost 3-0 in an abject performance under Graham Barrow. They moved to Gillingham the season after, with our first game after Barrow’s sacking being their final one at Priestfield in May ‘99.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Teams we have played in years gone by on 19:42 - Oct 27 with 1035 viewsJames1980

Teams we have played in years gone by on 19:37 - Oct 27 by richfoad32

One of my first games was at The Withdean as well, I remember it was just before Christmas 2000/2001'ish? and absolutely lashed it down. It would qualify as probably the wettest I've ever been at a football match as I was in that poxy away end about 200 yards from the pitch.

Cracking game more than made up for it, we won 4-3 with a couple of late goals. For the life of me I can't remember the scorers, perhaps somebody could oblige? I'm thinking Lee Todd might've got one?

I'm sure there is a man who can tell you

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024