Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wales, Wisconsin 23:32 - Aug 21 with 1958 viewsbuilthjack

Never heard of it until,earlier today. I was talking to a couple who had been there recently.
A small town, lots of Welsh speakers, Welsh street names. Good to hear.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Wales, Wisconsin on 23:35 - Aug 21 with 1949 viewsmagicdaps10

There is a few places called Wales over there.

I know of ones in Alaska, Utah, Kentucky and Minnesotta.

Talking on names of places, my personal favourite is Muff in Ireland. 😂

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Wales, Wisconsin on 23:41 - Aug 21 with 1939 viewsbuilthjack

Wales, Wisconsin on 23:35 - Aug 21 by magicdaps10

There is a few places called Wales over there.

I know of ones in Alaska, Utah, Kentucky and Minnesotta.

Talking on names of places, my personal favourite is Muff in Ireland. 😂

Shitterton in Dorset always makes me chuckle.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Wales, Wisconsin on 00:12 - Aug 22 with 1924 viewsKeithHaynes

Wetwang another.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Wales, Wisconsin on 00:22 - Aug 22 with 1917 viewsAndyCole

So, we're 20th in the league, after finishing a disappointing 15th last year, the manager is likely going to be sacked in a heartbeat.....

.....and the very best the poty of Swansea Independent 2021 can only proffer is a thread like this ? And nothing else whatsoever on our abject performances ?

C'mon builth, must do better, not a good look for this site is it ?

There are standards to attain.

Pro free speech and alternative opinions - Anti gang-bullying and poor modding thereof - Will always make a stand against those who consistently choose to turn a blind eye

Wales, Wisconsin on 00:51 - Aug 22 with 1893 viewsNotLoyal

Wales, Wisconsin on 00:22 - Aug 22 by AndyCole

So, we're 20th in the league, after finishing a disappointing 15th last year, the manager is likely going to be sacked in a heartbeat.....

.....and the very best the poty of Swansea Independent 2021 can only proffer is a thread like this ? And nothing else whatsoever on our abject performances ?

Tw@tt is in the orkneys.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Wales, Wisconsin on 00:53 - Aug 22 with 1879 viewsAndyCole

Wales, Wisconsin on 00:51 - Aug 22 by NotLoyal

Tw@tt is in the orkneys.

You need to stop drinking, clearly

Pro free speech and alternative opinions - Anti gang-bullying and poor modding thereof - Will always make a stand against those who consistently choose to turn a blind eye

Wales, Wisconsin on 00:59 - Aug 22 with 1869 viewsKeithHaynes

Wales, Wisconsin on 00:53 - Aug 22 by AndyCole

You need to stop drinking, clearly

My brother is teetotal, and had openly shared the reasons why on here.
This stops now.

Wales, Wisconsin on 01:03 - Aug 22 with 1847 viewsAndyCole

Wales, Wisconsin on 00:59 - Aug 22 by KeithHaynes

My brother is teetotal, and had openly shared the reasons why on here.
This stops now.

I had no idea.

Yet is that an excuse for his last post ?

Login to get fewer ads

Wales, Wisconsin on 01:08 - Aug 22 with 1840 viewsKeithHaynes

Wales, Wisconsin on 01:03 - Aug 22 by AndyCole

I had no idea.

Yet is that an excuse for his last post ?

It’s factual as per the location. Which is the OP’s thread.

There’s no excuses just an answer to your response of his drinking when he hasn’t for seven years or more.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Wales, Wisconsin on 07:37 - Aug 22 with 1767 viewsYrAlarch

There was a village in Austria named 'Fuc****' that, for obvious reasons, recently changed its name to Fugging.
Wales, Wisconsin on 08:43 - Aug 22 with 1721 viewsonehunglow

Not to mention Swansea,NSW.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Wales, Wisconsin on 14:35 - Aug 23 with 1572 viewsBarrySwan

Having spent quite some months over the course of two years in Wisconsin playing rugby for both the University of Wisconsin and the town side of LaCrosse Wisconsin ( the place where Frank from American pickers keeps going on about the huge Oktoberfest annual event)

I can confirm that there is a town in Wisconsin called Wales which has the Welsh dragon on a number of its street signs.

I think that the lots ( or any for that matter) of Welsh speakers suggestion is a touch fanciful to be honest.

When I was there I was constantly told that the miner on the state flag plus the state symbol/mascot, Bucky the Badger ( the 'Big Ten' state of Wisconsins American football team playing out of 80,000 capacity Camp Randall is called the badgers) is because of the many Welsh miners who emigrated to the state and initially scraped out temporary homes into the side of hills before constructing wooden homes.

Despite this just about every day I had to explain to interested locals where Wales ( our Wales) actually was when questioned about my accent / where I was from etc, as next to no one had a clue.

Many German, Scandanavian and Welsh were early settlers in Wisconsin which was outraged when I was there that California had overtaken them as the USA's foremost Dairy producing state ( a title now regained).

Which is why Wisconsinites are called Cheeseheads, and you see at games the triangular cheese hats worn by the Green Bay Packers fans on the telly.

Swansea university has of course had a 40 to 50 year exchange association with the University of Wisconsin LaCrosse campus and there were students from Swansea spending a semester/ term or two there when I was there.
[Post edited 23 Aug 2022 14:53]
Wales, Wisconsin on 17:24 - Aug 23 with 1484 viewshowenjack

Wales, Wisconsin on 14:35 - Aug 23 by BarrySwan

Having spent quite some months over the course of two years in Wisconsin playing rugby for both the University of Wisconsin and the town side of LaCrosse Wisconsin ( the place where Frank from American pickers keeps going on about the huge Oktoberfest annual event)

I can confirm that there is a town in Wisconsin called Wales which has the Welsh dragon on a number of its street signs.

I think that the lots ( or any for that matter) of Welsh speakers suggestion is a touch fanciful to be honest.

When I was there I was constantly told that the miner on the state flag plus the state symbol/mascot, Bucky the Badger ( the 'Big Ten' state of Wisconsins American football team playing out of 80,000 capacity Camp Randall is called the badgers) is because of the many Welsh miners who emigrated to the state and initially scraped out temporary homes into the side of hills before constructing wooden homes.

Despite this just about every day I had to explain to interested locals where Wales ( our Wales) actually was when questioned about my accent / where I was from etc, as next to no one had a clue.

Many German, Scandanavian and Welsh were early settlers in Wisconsin which was outraged when I was there that California had overtaken them as the USA's foremost Dairy producing state ( a title now regained).

Which is why Wisconsinites are called Cheeseheads, and you see at games the triangular cheese hats worn by the Green Bay Packers fans on the telly.

Swansea university has of course had a 40 to 50 year exchange association with the University of Wisconsin LaCrosse campus and there were students from Swansea spending a semester/ term or two there when I was there.
[Post edited 23 Aug 2022 14:53]

Little Bohemia Lodge upper Wisconsin also has some history from the Depression era...

https://www.littlebohemialodge.com/index.php/photos
Wales, Wisconsin on 21:16 - Aug 23 with 1436 viewsBarrySwan

Wales, Wisconsin on 17:24 - Aug 23 by howenjack

Little Bohemia Lodge upper Wisconsin also has some history from the Depression era...

https://www.littlebohemialodge.com/index.php/photos

Josh Gates had an episode covering little Bohemia Lodge and Dillingers connection on his Expedition Unknown series..
Wales, Wisconsin on 21:33 - Aug 23 with 1418 viewsKilkennyjack

Highway 1 California has Cambria.

🇺🇸🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🫡

Beware of the Risen People

Wales, Wisconsin on 11:25 - Aug 24 with 1343 viewshowenjack

Wales, Wisconsin on 21:16 - Aug 23 by BarrySwan

Josh Gates had an episode covering little Bohemia Lodge and Dillingers connection on his Expedition Unknown series..

Fascinating stuff - I find the Depression era very interesting .
Wales, Wisconsin on 16:52 - Aug 25 with 1260 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Wales, Wisconsin on 21:33 - Aug 23 by Kilkennyjack

Highway 1 California has Cambria.

🇺🇸🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🫡

Cambria is the Latin name for Wales but was not used in Roman times as Wales did not exist. Did not come into common usage until middle ages when Latin was still the language of learning and the scholars needed to differentiate between different parts of Britanica, Mercia, Northtumbria Cambria.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Wales, Wisconsin on 20:34 - Aug 25 with 1234 viewsbuilthjack

Wales, Wisconsin on 00:22 - Aug 22 by AndyCole

It's a better thread than any of yours, or your lover, or your lover's lover.

Wales, Wisconsin on 22:43 - Aug 25 with 1198 viewsKilkennyjack

Wales, Wisconsin on 16:52 - Aug 25 by felixstowe_jack

Cambria is the Latin name for Wales but was not used in Roman times as Wales did not exist. Did not come into common usage until middle ages when Latin was still the language of learning and the scholars needed to differentiate between different parts of Britanica, Mercia, Northtumbria Cambria.

Thank you

Beware of the Risen People

Wales, Wisconsin on 13:00 - Aug 26 with 1152 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Wales, Wisconsin on 22:43 - Aug 25 by Kilkennyjack

Thank you

Always glad to help you learn about the history of Wales.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024