Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea RFC 09:10 - Dec 15 with 4082 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Anyone go? What's the standard / atmosphere like at St Helens these days?

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Swansea RFC on 16:30 - Jan 8 with 742 viewsSandanista

Swansea RFC on 13:51 - Jan 8 by Treforys_Jack

Quins were becoming a big noise a few years back, obviously the money has run out, a bit like Dunvant and Bonymaen back in the day. It's mad to think I watched Dunvant playing competively against Swansea, Cardiff, Llanelli, even Japan. Think the WRU shat themselves at the time.

Indeed. They were not prepared for 'little' clubs like Dunvant, Caerphilly and Treorchy to rise up the leagues and be competitive.
Swansea RFC on 17:18 - Jan 8 with 713 viewsKilkennyjack

Swansea RFC on 13:51 - Jan 8 by Treforys_Jack

Quins were becoming a big noise a few years back, obviously the money has run out, a bit like Dunvant and Bonymaen back in the day. It's mad to think I watched Dunvant playing competively against Swansea, Cardiff, Llanelli, even Japan. Think the WRU shat themselves at the time.

The Ospreys play at a far higher level, week in week out.

Regionnal rugby has saved the Welsh national team to date.
To date the biggest failure is the crowds.
That lack of interest will weaken the welsh national team very soon.

Mismanaged by WRU.

Going back to Dunvant vs Swansea is a joke suggestion, shirley ?
The professional game means the challenge remains to make the regional game work.

Beware of the Risen People

Swansea RFC on 17:53 - Jan 8 with 691 viewsTreforys_Jack

Swansea RFC on 17:18 - Jan 8 by Kilkennyjack

The Ospreys play at a far higher level, week in week out.

Regionnal rugby has saved the Welsh national team to date.
To date the biggest failure is the crowds.
That lack of interest will weaken the welsh national team very soon.

Mismanaged by WRU.

Going back to Dunvant vs Swansea is a joke suggestion, shirley ?
The professional game means the challenge remains to make the regional game work.

What do you mean a joke suggestion, Dunvant played Swansea for a few seasons as they were in the same league. They were there on merit at the time. The WRU messed up with the regions, should not of allowed Llanelli and Cardiff to be stand alone regions.
Swansea RFC on 17:55 - Jan 8 with 690 viewsTreforys_Jack

Swansea RFC on 16:30 - Jan 8 by Sandanista

Indeed. They were not prepared for 'little' clubs like Dunvant, Caerphilly and Treorchy to rise up the leagues and be competitive.

Exactly this, they even changed the rules on more than 1 occasion mid-season to ensure Dunvant were relegated and also to save Cardiff one year if my memory serves me correctly.
Swansea RFC on 12:30 - Jan 9 with 635 viewsSandanista

Swansea RFC on 17:55 - Jan 8 by Treforys_Jack

Exactly this, they even changed the rules on more than 1 occasion mid-season to ensure Dunvant were relegated and also to save Cardiff one year if my memory serves me correctly.

I think you are correct. And I agree fully-the regions were mismanaged. The media 'love in' allowed Cardiff and Llanelli to carry on and eventually Newport shafted Ebbw Vale. The original 4 region plan was West (Swansea, Llanelli), West Central (Bridgend, Neath, Aberavon), East Central (Cardiff, Pontypridd) and East/Gwent. Neath and Bridgend even had a name (Black Ravens). So four became five, then four again (when WRU xxxx on the actually popular Celtic Warriors). The Ospreys initially picked up the disenfranchised fans, but it's not been sustained, kick off times are random and the product not good enough. Ospreys have been by far the most successful of the regions too. It can't go back to towns, but still needs a re-think.
Swansea RFC on 12:54 - Jan 9 with 621 viewsBadlands

A lot of nostalgia on this thread.
The reality is if the regions go so do the well paid professional players and crowds.
Bar a couple or three derbies rigby fans would be shared out even more thinly.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Swansea RFC on 12:56 - Jan 10 with 556 viewsTreforys_Jack

Swansea RFC on 12:30 - Jan 9 by Sandanista

I think you are correct. And I agree fully-the regions were mismanaged. The media 'love in' allowed Cardiff and Llanelli to carry on and eventually Newport shafted Ebbw Vale. The original 4 region plan was West (Swansea, Llanelli), West Central (Bridgend, Neath, Aberavon), East Central (Cardiff, Pontypridd) and East/Gwent. Neath and Bridgend even had a name (Black Ravens). So four became five, then four again (when WRU xxxx on the actually popular Celtic Warriors). The Ospreys initially picked up the disenfranchised fans, but it's not been sustained, kick off times are random and the product not good enough. Ospreys have been by far the most successful of the regions too. It can't go back to towns, but still needs a re-think.

The kick off times and days are crazy, when the stadium first opened, I considered buying a dual season ticket, Swans 1 week , Ospreys the next, they made that impossible with the ridiculous scheduling.
Swansea RFC on 13:58 - Jan 10 with 539 viewsonehunglow

This thread shows the parochial insular tribal nature of us Welsh.
Swansea and Llanelli “ combining “ was ludicrous but it made financial sense . A very strong rugby heritage and culture .

Sad

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024