Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
wardle 12:14 - Mar 20 with 903 viewsPDIDDY

i was working at wasp mill drive, strange name, anyone know the reason for it?

Gissa job

wardle on 12:28 - Mar 20 with 869 viewsVespaDale

Well was only a couple - 4 years ago a mill was knocked down where that new estate lies, i think it was called that? We're Littleboro so don't take interest in the Wardle numpties...

You the 1 nicking my milk off doorsteps???
wardle on 12:34 - Mar 20 with 839 viewsPDIDDY

wardle on 12:28 - Mar 20 by VespaDale

Well was only a couple - 4 years ago a mill was knocked down where that new estate lies, i think it was called that? We're Littleboro so don't take interest in the Wardle numpties...

You the 1 nicking my milk off doorsteps???

cheers, milk? exactly. hey vespa you hesrd about that new northern soul film? think lisa stansfields in it, a bird from Bury has wrote it or directed it
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Gissa job

wardle on 12:36 - Mar 20 with 835 viewsdeeplishblue

Is it near Matt BUZZBY Way?

Poll: Do you want bury to get promoted?

wardle on 12:36 - Mar 20 with 832 viewsVespaDale

wardle on 12:34 - Mar 20 by PDIDDY

cheers, milk? exactly. hey vespa you hesrd about that new northern soul film? think lisa stansfields in it, a bird from Bury has wrote it or directed it

saw it on telly other day advertised, i used to deliver to her house aswell... us milkmen get everywhere

wardle on 12:42 - Mar 20 with 812 viewsdingdangblue

Because Bee Factory Avenue was already taken.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

wardle on 12:48 - Mar 20 with 803 viewsmandale

I've heard this term used in respect of American mill towns: for example, they'll refer to growing up in 'small Wasp mill towns' in Oregon, where WASP stands for 'White Anglo-Saxon Protestant'. The WASPs were immigrants of British Protestant origin, but who also had a lot money (and subsequently power) - much of it with roots in the industrial revolution and, I would guess, northern mill towns.

wardle on 12:51 - Mar 20 with 793 viewsheywooddale

It's named after an old mill that used to be there, where all the world's wasps were made. Right b*****ds we are in Rochdale, we gave the world wasps!!!

but could be worse I heard bURY gave the world crabs!
wardle on 16:40 - Mar 20 with 661 viewsSuddenLad

Definitely named after the Wasp Mill. The steam engine from the premises is preserved in a museum in Bolton.

It was removed in 1967, and I remember going there every Sunday with my Dad and a willing band of volunteers to painstakingly take the engine to bits to get it out. The mill was demolished some time after that.

http://www.nmes.org/wasp.html

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Login to get fewer ads

wardle on 17:01 - Mar 20 with 627 viewsYorkshire_Dale

wardle on 16:40 - Mar 20 by SuddenLad

Definitely named after the Wasp Mill. The steam engine from the premises is preserved in a museum in Bolton.

It was removed in 1967, and I remember going there every Sunday with my Dad and a willing band of volunteers to painstakingly take the engine to bits to get it out. The mill was demolished some time after that.

Nice piece of social history is that Suddz.........very interesting indeed.

I think there is an old mill engine in the Science Museum in Manchester that also hails from these parts.
wardle on 17:27 - Mar 20 with 601 viewsrochedale

wardle on 16:40 - Mar 20 by SuddenLad

And then it was a pallet factory, if I have me bearings right, or was that cook street pallets? My dad used to work there.

Poll: 24/25 season ticket, how many free games would you consider fair?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024