Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Coleman and Sports Science? 23:09 - Apr 11 with 4767 viewsAucklandjeff

Does anybody know how much emphasis JC places on Sports Science? He comes across as an 'old fashioned' type of manager to me? Hillcroft placed a big emphasis on nutrition,recovery, football specific fitness, psychology, motivation etc. His backroom staff also reflected this.

Living in NZ I only see highlights, listen to commentry and read this messageboard to get my Dale fix and when I see the likes of Joe Hinnigan on the bench it just reminds me of the bad old days!! Young ambitious talent will only be attracted to Dale if they see us as a forward thinking club in terms of training/science with a professional approach both on and off the field.

Regardless of relegation it does feel the club is going backwards but I hope JC can re-build from the bottom up and find the next generation of saleable assets as well as demanding the club be marketed in a more professional manner.

Looking forward to seeing the retained list and watching the re-build. Role on season 12/13

Coleman and Sports Science? on 18:32 - Apr 12 with 1158 viewsColDale

Coleman and Sports Science? on 18:27 - Apr 12 by borodale4

If this is indeed true then I feel it is a fatal error. Sports science, nutrition etc is about the only part of the game in which we can compete with anyone. You might not have the best footballers at your disposal but you can have the fittest. That might mean a point when you were down and out if not all three against tired and under prepared teams (as we will become). It is an essential part of professional sport now in every sport, we are not a pub team and there is no chance in hell we should prepare like one. Hilly first signing was a sports scientist and the results are there for all to see. At the end of the day results will mean everything, however you can prepare like an ambitious professional sports team or you can choose to be old fashioned. I know which one bears fruit!
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

but given the success of Accy was about taking players who with no disrespect were less than average for Lge 2 and getting them to improve as players and to compete, then surely that side of thing is being taken care of. Admittedly, there's not a string of Dawsons, Alfies, Lamberts, Buckleys having come from Accy, but he'd have had a much smaller budget to gamble with there, and he still managed to produce a number of players who went on to bigger and better things. That for me says that we have nothing to worry about on that front. I'd rather that than have a manager who might be interested in all of that yet hasn't got it in him to take advantage of it. We have a manager with a history of overachieving, producing players and playing decent football. That ticks all the boxes for me.
Coleman and Sports Science? on 18:35 - Apr 12 with 1146 viewsborodale4

Coleman and Sports Science? on 18:32 - Apr 12 by ColDale

but given the success of Accy was about taking players who with no disrespect were less than average for Lge 2 and getting them to improve as players and to compete, then surely that side of thing is being taken care of. Admittedly, there's not a string of Dawsons, Alfies, Lamberts, Buckleys having come from Accy, but he'd have had a much smaller budget to gamble with there, and he still managed to produce a number of players who went on to bigger and better things. That for me says that we have nothing to worry about on that front. I'd rather that than have a manager who might be interested in all of that yet hasn't got it in him to take advantage of it. We have a manager with a history of overachieving, producing players and playing decent football. That ticks all the boxes for me.

Completely agree and ultimately it is results that is the be all and end all. Hopefully JC can over achieve with us too and not find his peak to be L2 playoffs. Fully behind him with his own team next year.
Coleman and Sports Science? on 18:43 - Apr 12 with 1141 viewsdalenumber2

Coleman and Sports Science? on 18:32 - Apr 12 by ColDale

Yup, I agree with all that. He needs to be given a proper crack at the whip with a fresh start next season. I remember some of the Accy fans coming on here saying that Coleman might not work miracles straight away but he would be a sound investment for a club such as ours and that we wouldn't regret his appointment. I believe they could be right.
Coleman and Sports Science? on 18:49 - Apr 12 with 1133 viewsColDale

Coleman and Sports Science? on 18:43 - Apr 12 by dalenumber2

Yup, I agree with all that. He needs to be given a proper crack at the whip with a fresh start next season. I remember some of the Accy fans coming on here saying that Coleman might not work miracles straight away but he would be a sound investment for a club such as ours and that we wouldn't regret his appointment. I believe they could be right.

what stood out for me when I started looking into his footballing past is that in the 11 seasons he was with Accy, every single one of them without fail saw a finish higher than the season before. You can't do that unless you know what you're doing. Not even Hilly could claim that at Spotland.
Coleman and Sports Science? on 18:56 - Apr 12 with 1126 viewsBartRowou

Next season, if Widdowson knocks it long to Symes who holds it, lays if off to Obedayi who in turn whips one in for Jean-Louis to knock home, well I'm all for long ball. Similar things happened with COG up front last season.

Critics of Coleman's style of football are way off the mark. In fact I'd say he's tried to play too much football eg trying to get the keeper to roll out to BBM or JK to start a move. Such tactics work with confident footballers but our lot aren't up to it.

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

Coleman and Sports Science? on 20:10 - Apr 12 with 1092 viewsboromat

I think the direct type of football we're playing is probably more to do with a team lacking confidence playing against teams a lot better than us. Nothing to do with JC's favoured style. Thats what I'm hoping anyway. Accrington played fast direct passing football which is fine by me! They didn't hoof it up but were great at counter attack.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Coleman and Sports Science? on 20:32 - Apr 12 with 1079 viewsrochedale

Have just skimmed through this thread, so haven't read all posts. It did occur to me that when I saw Coleman and the lads training on Granada Reports last week or whatever it was, that what I did see of his training was no better than what I have experienced myself. OK I did only see approx 30 seconds on the training field, but all they were doing was throwing the ball to the players to half-volley at the keeper. I was rather bemused at this, especially at the fact that they must have known that the cameras were due. If I was Coleman I would have had them doing the best training I had in my book. It did look amateur. But, like I said it was a miniscule amount of training that I saw.

Has JC got his PFA Pro badge or whatever it is called? Does he have any ambition to get this if he hasn't? Does he use sports science? I really believe that this could gain a few points a season with limited excellence within the playing ranks.

These are questions that should be asked at the next 'Managers Question Time'. I hope he does have something special up his sleeve, because there has been nothing on show so far that warrants all the JC love that has been banded about.

There has been far more love for JC than there was for SE, even though results and league placing have been/is worse.

He will get a good chance from me, as SE did, but I am not as confident as most of you.

Poll: 24/25 season ticket, how many free games would you consider fair?

Coleman and Sports Science? on 21:05 - Apr 12 with 1052 viewsnordenblue

Coleman and Sports Science? on 18:49 - Apr 12 by ColDale

what stood out for me when I started looking into his footballing past is that in the 11 seasons he was with Accy, every single one of them without fail saw a finish higher than the season before. You can't do that unless you know what you're doing. Not even Hilly could claim that at Spotland.

Apparently he's the only manager in the whole of the league who can boast that record too so the people who have jumped on his back are ridiculously wide of the mark, for me the "special one" would have struggled with this set of jokers currently on show for us
Login to get fewer ads

Coleman and Sports Science? on 21:16 - Apr 12 with 1039 viewsD_Alien

It wouldn't at all surprise me if Coleman doesn't set great store by sports science - but actually I've no idea if he does or not! If we've still got our sports scientist / physio guy on the books, he must be doing something, but the role played by his predecessor (RIP) was probably higher up the agenda for Hilly than for JC.

It may simply be that JC doesn't want another individual being "closer" to the players than he is at the moment, or at least until he's had the chance to put his own squad together and build his own ethos.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Coleman and Sports Science? on 08:35 - Apr 13 with 989 viewsjudd

Hmmmm.

Footballers who rarely score shooting at a keeper who lets 'em in all too often.

Very amateur.

Perhaps they should have had a classroom discussion about the calorific benefits of a fresh pasta based dietery regime?

Poll: What is it to be then?

Coleman and Sports Science? on 09:48 - Apr 13 with 968 viewsrochedale

Coleman and Sports Science? on 08:35 - Apr 13 by judd

Hmmmm.

Footballers who rarely score shooting at a keeper who lets 'em in all too often.

Very amateur.

Perhaps they should have had a classroom discussion about the calorific benefits of a fresh pasta based dietery regime?

Obviously worked then didn't it. You don't often see people rolling the ball to you on a pitch for a free shot at the keeper.

Coleman and Sports Science? on 09:55 - Apr 13 with 964 viewsjudd

Coleman and Sports Science? on 09:48 - Apr 13 by rochedale

Obviously worked then didn't it. You don't often see people rolling the ball to you on a pitch for a free shot at the keeper.

11 goals in last two games involving us. Only 3 ours.

Coleman and Sports Science? on 10:16 - Apr 13 with 956 viewsrochedale

Coleman and Sports Science? on 09:55 - Apr 13 by judd

11 goals in last two games involving us. Only 3 ours.

Doh! Exactly my point... Rolling a ball out to a player to shoot at a keeper obviously doesn't work.

Coleman and Sports Science? on 10:19 - Apr 13 with 953 viewsjudd

Coleman and Sports Science? on 10:16 - Apr 13 by rochedale

Doh! Exactly my point... Rolling a ball out to a player to shoot at a keeper obviously doesn't work.

I'd have thought shooting at a keeper that lets them in so often would build confidence.

Aren't you the guy who has coached someone all the way to the premiership?

Coleman and Sports Science? on 10:32 - Apr 13 with 946 viewsrochedale

Coleman and Sports Science? on 10:19 - Apr 13 by judd

I'd have thought shooting at a keeper that lets them in so often would build confidence.

Aren't you the guy who has coached someone all the way to the premiership?

I'd of thought that would build false hope.

You must mean my son who was with Everton for a season. Maybe I did, but he is probably just naturally talented like his father, but twice as modest.

Coleman and Sports Science? on 10:35 - Apr 13 with 927 viewsjudd

Coleman and Sports Science? on 10:32 - Apr 13 by rochedale

I'd of thought that would build false hope.

You must mean my son who was with Everton for a season. Maybe I did, but he is probably just naturally talented like his father, but twice as modest.

But surely you would agree that the weaknesses in the team in not scoring enough and conceding too many can and should be worked on through an element of repetitive drills?

I'd have hoped that it would pay dividends on match days.

That it hasn't is down to the players, imho.

Coleman and Sports Science? on 10:38 - Apr 13 with 923 viewsrochedale

Coleman and Sports Science? on 10:35 - Apr 13 by judd

But surely you would agree that the weaknesses in the team in not scoring enough and conceding too many can and should be worked on through an element of repetitive drills?

I'd have hoped that it would pay dividends on match days.

That it hasn't is down to the players, imho.

No I don't, hence my original post.

Coleman and Sports Science? on 10:50 - Apr 13 with 918 viewsjudd

Coleman and Sports Science? on 10:38 - Apr 13 by rochedale

No I don't, hence my original post.

I'm sure, then, that Coleman will benefit from the thoughts of your premiership standard coaching techniques.

Thanks for sharing.

Coleman and Sports Science? on 10:54 - Apr 13 with 915 viewsrochedale

Coleman and Sports Science? on 10:50 - Apr 13 by judd

I'm sure, then, that Coleman will benefit from the thoughts of your premiership standard coaching techniques.

Thanks for sharing.

Judd, if you're the same Judd as I think you are, maybe you should walk up to the tennis courts and watch the lads playing futy on there, then you can pass on to JC some of the techniques seen yourself.

Coleman and Sports Science? on 11:03 - Apr 13 with 911 viewsjudd

Coleman and Sports Science? on 10:54 - Apr 13 by rochedale

Judd, if you're the same Judd as I think you are, maybe you should walk up to the tennis courts and watch the lads playing futy on there, then you can pass on to JC some of the techniques seen yourself.

I'd have thought any coach worth his salt would work on weaknesses in an attempt to improve his staff.

Have you not thought of offering your services to JC, given that you coached your lad all the way to the premiership? Could be a lucrative career change.

Coleman and Sports Science? on 11:06 - Apr 13 with 902 viewsrochedale

Coleman and Sports Science? on 11:03 - Apr 13 by judd

I'd have thought any coach worth his salt would work on weaknesses in an attempt to improve his staff.

Have you not thought of offering your services to JC, given that you coached your lad all the way to the premiership? Could be a lucrative career change.

I will consider it for the future, but at present I am happy as I am. I may, however, pop to Manor Farm, to drop him some cones off.

Coleman and Sports Science? on 11:10 - Apr 13 with 900 viewsjudd

Coleman and Sports Science? on 11:06 - Apr 13 by rochedale

I will consider it for the future, but at present I am happy as I am. I may, however, pop to Manor Farm, to drop him some cones off.

I never had you down as an ice cream man.

Coleman and Sports Science? on 21:11 - Apr 13 with 839 viewsRochdaleLeeds

Coleman and Sports Science? on 21:16 - Apr 12 by D_Alien

It wouldn't at all surprise me if Coleman doesn't set great store by sports science - but actually I've no idea if he does or not! If we've still got our sports scientist / physio guy on the books, he must be doing something, but the role played by his predecessor (RIP) was probably higher up the agenda for Hilly than for JC.

It may simply be that JC doesn't want another individual being "closer" to the players than he is at the moment, or at least until he's had the chance to put his own squad together and build his own ethos.

Coleman has worked with sports science for a good few years, he and Accrington had a partnership with Liverpool John Moores university where Science and Football students came in to work within the club doing sports science and these students said they enjoyed it (apart from travelling there and back) and they did a number of things science based...
This said he has come into Rochdale and a lad who works on the sports science base has said he and the rest of the lads have been doing pretty much the same work since HillCroft were in change and he has appreciated their efforts.

Just thought id let you all know.
Coleman and Sports Science? on 04:40 - Apr 14 with 798 viewsD_Alien

Coleman and Sports Science? on 21:11 - Apr 13 by RochdaleLeeds

Coleman has worked with sports science for a good few years, he and Accrington had a partnership with Liverpool John Moores university where Science and Football students came in to work within the club doing sports science and these students said they enjoyed it (apart from travelling there and back) and they did a number of things science based...
This said he has come into Rochdale and a lad who works on the sports science base has said he and the rest of the lads have been doing pretty much the same work since HillCroft were in change and he has appreciated their efforts.

Just thought id let you all know.

Cheers. That's useful info (something in short supply on here at the moment!) and as I say, I didn't know whether JC had that type of interest or not.

He's got one hell of a job on his hands, so whether he uses sports science or a cattle prod, I don't care so long as he gets a united squad together by August.

One thing I do know is that we need someone with enough balls to take the club by the scruff of the neck and shake it till it squeaks. Some people, some long-standing figures at the club even, might not like that one little bit, but I'm prepared to back JC against those who would like to keep Rochdale AFC as their own little empire.

Go for it JC. Hilly tried and succeeded - to a point. Back your own judgement, get rid of the dross, shake the boardroom out of its lethargy and give us back our football team and club!!!

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024