Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Transfer Targets? 08:54 - May 2 with 2703 viewsRabbram10

James Vaughan, Chris Burke, Alex Baptiste, Chris Forsyth & Chris Martin to name a few?
I have to be honest it dosent exactly send my heart pulses racing, I was hoping for better than this lot?
Vaughan - Injury Prone?
Burke - was awful for Birmingham last season, past his best?
Forsyth & Martin - we already know about, I liked Forsyth at LB, The juries still out on Martin?
Baptiste - Could be the best of the lot, we will see?
Thoughts Guys?
Transfer Targets? on 10:15 - May 2 with 2696 viewsdcfctom84

As always with any signings you just have to wait and see. They aren't hugely exciting in terms of 'box office' appeal but contrary to previous seasons it is a bigger list of players with decent championship experience. For a while we have been complaining that the squad lacks depth and experience and this list would improve that. I realise some are going to leave but the possible replacements seem to be better.

Theo for Vaughn? - Vaughn undoubtedly far more talented and has played a lot this year so hopefully is putting his injuries behind him. Playing consistently in a decent side he could better his 13 goals this season!

Tyson for Martin? - Tyson way past his best and while he hasn't had a huge amount of chances I don't think we will miss him much! Martin has been mixed but has age on his side (compared to Tyson).

Roberts for Forsyth - Definitely wouldn't argue with that. Freeman and Hoganson have shown they can be reliable enough back ups if needed.

Burke would provide some much needed competition for Paul Coutts who has been poor for a lot of the 2nd half of the season yet has seemed 'undropable' at times. Past his best? Maybe but sometimes a new club and lease of life can reinvigorate a player. Also would be experience on the bench rather than Ben Davies being the only senior pro available to change a game.

Baptiste should help add a bit of strength to the back four which has shipped far too many goals this season (despite performancers of the individuals being largely ok e.g. Keogh, Bucko and Brayford).

As always not all of these might happen and it might be a different list of names come the start of next season. It does at least seem that the policy is not to recruit potential from league 1 and 2 this summer but to look to players in and around championship sides.
Transfer Targets? on 10:59 - May 2 with 2692 viewsRabbram10

You make a lot of good points Tom84 but bringing in players with Championship experience is one thing but bringing in ones that IMO are past their best is another?
I agree that Forsyth & Baptiste would probably help the back four, I'm not so sure about Burke, Martin & Vaughan, but like you say these names could all change as we go forward, I hope they do?
Grant forFielding could be a good move, I never thought Fielding was that good on cross balls, too many costly blunders!
The guy we should go for is Humpreys at Motherwell a real flyer & has age on his side, better bet than Burke IMO?
Transfer Targets? on 12:03 - May 2 with 2690 viewsdcfctom84

Transfer Targets? on 10:59 - May 2 by Rabbram10

You make a lot of good points Tom84 but bringing in players with Championship experience is one thing but bringing in ones that IMO are past their best is another?
I agree that Forsyth & Baptiste would probably help the back four, I'm not so sure about Burke, Martin & Vaughan, but like you say these names could all change as we go forward, I hope they do?
Grant forFielding could be a good move, I never thought Fielding was that good on cross balls, too many costly blunders!
The guy we should go for is Humpreys at Motherwell a real flyer & has age on his side, better bet than Burke IMO?

Agree completely, Burke is a surprising name and he wouldn't be on my list of targets. If I was looking to add experience to our midfield it would need to be someone who had performed more consistently. Also I think we need the experience more centrally. We have let a lot of goals in this season (and last season for that matter) yet many of the back four are individually capable at this level. I still think the problem is as much in front of them as the back four itself. A solid and experienced holding midfielder is still missing, this is probably the missing ingredient away from home.

Upfront is a difficult one, realistically we're not going to be able to prise the really top goalscorers in the division from their clubs. There aren't many outstanding options anyway. The top scorers (with more goals than Ward) are:

1 Glenn Murray 28 Crystal Palace
2 Jordan Rhodes 27 Blackburn Rovers
3 Charlie Austin 24 Burnley
4 Matej Vydra 20 Watford
4 Chris Wood 20 Leicester City
6 Troy Deeney 19 Watford
7 Thomas Ince 17 Blackpool
8 Luciano Becchio 15 Leeds United
9 Sylvan Ebanks-Blake 14 Wolverhampton Wanderers
9 David Nugent 14 Leicester City
11 Marlon King 13 Birmingham City
11 Steve Davies 13 Bristol City
11 James Vaughan 13 Huddersfield Town
11 Dwight Gayle 13 Peterborough United

Of these Rhodes, Woods, Vydra, Austin, Nugent and Ince are highly unlikely to be available unless you offer stupid money, not to mention may have premier league clubs looking in the cases of Rhodes, Vydra, Austin and Ince. Murray and Deeney might depend on the fortunes of their clubs and what they then choose to do and will be in demand if they become available. King, Becchio and Davies all seem unlikely options for a variety of reasons. That leaves Blake, Vaughan and Gayle. Blake perhaps comes with more track record of championship goals and with Wolves going down would be a decent signing. Vaughan and Gayle are risks as they are yet to have played enough to know whether these goals tallies can be improved or a 'one-season wonder'.

Overall whoever we go for is going to be a risk, as new signings always are.
Transfer Targets? on 15:50 - May 2 with 2682 viewsRabbram10

I agree a Central Midfielder with experience is a must, David Perkins from Barnsley has been mentioned, I don't know a lot about him but he was voted their Player of the Season I'm lead to believe?
Who knows we just have to wait & see!
Transfer Targets? on 18:30 - May 5 with 2644 viewspkay_brum

Transfer Targets? on 15:50 - May 2 by Rabbram10

I agree a Central Midfielder with experience is a must, David Perkins from Barnsley has been mentioned, I don't know a lot about him but he was voted their Player of the Season I'm lead to believe?
Who knows we just have to wait & see!

We need a qualitative upgrade in our recruitment policy - and that will cost.

We wait to see if the owners do have the mentality and the purse to countenance the delivery of the club into the Premier League.

It is a very important close season for Messrs' Rush and Clough and their activity in the next three months will set the mood of the fans going into 2013-14.

All departments (and squad strength) need reinforcement - Forsyth looks steady and adds height in defence, Derby aren't always a physically imposing or robust team so defence and midfield recruits should be a bit more muscular IMHO.

Martin looks what he is - a loanee looking for a move and regular football...it doesn't have to be at Derby as he is not a target man (the Ward-Martin spearhead *won't* get us the goals we need...and I tire of Martin falling over so much).

James Vaughan is a club-hopper and nothing special - didn't he turn down returning to Derby on loan some time back? He'd be another Tyson or Robinson, a flash-in-the-pan on good wages.

We need a true goal-poacher that teams will fear as well as the muscle and nuisance value of such as Ward and Sammon.

With a tighter defence and an attack that penetrates and takes chances, we can compete.

It need not matter if half the clubs are raking in 'parachute' payments - Wolves, Blackburn, Bolton and Brum have proved that.

Transfer Targets? on 11:48 - May 6 with 2623 viewsRabbram10

I agree I don't think Vaughan & Martin are the answer!
We need an Austin or a Sharp, proven scorers in this division, or even Dwight Gayle from Peterborough but that won't happen?
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Transfer Targets? on 13:24 - May 6 with 2617 viewsdavram

Transfer Targets? on 11:48 - May 6 by Rabbram10

I agree I don't think Vaughan & Martin are the answer!
We need an Austin or a Sharp, proven scorers in this division, or even Dwight Gayle from Peterborough but that won't happen?
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Agreed, Rabb.

I just can't fathom why Clough, as a very proficient striker & link-man in his playing days, hasn't yet shown any insight in blending two effective strikers in the Rams team after asll this time.

Ward has pace, but does'nt always link well and seems to rely on a "knock it past him and run fast" trick, which is not really skilful and seldom effective against more mobile defenders.

He & Martin might as well have been playing on opposite sides against Millwall, as they kept well apart.

Maybe Sammon is just more capable of bustling through and staying on his feet than Martin is, so for once Ward's approach play found someone that was alert.

Find a strong "holding" midfielder, get Hughes further up the park to be feeding two "proper" strikers - that's a must for next season.

Still think that getting someone to feed more instinctively off Sammon than the present options (Ward & Martin, both basically "discards"), can provide the extra goals.

The chemistry of the right combination will bring the crowds back, too.
Transfer Targets? on 17:40 - May 6 with 2607 viewsRabbram10

Yip it's looks like our Nigel still hasent grasped the need for a 15 to 20 goals a season striker unless a surprise signing appears out of the woodwork, my Optimism should be admired lol????!!!!!
Login to get fewer ads

Transfer Targets? on 14:38 - May 7 with 2582 viewsowderrammy

Transfer Targets? on 17:40 - May 6 by Rabbram10

Yip it's looks like our Nigel still hasent grasped the need for a 15 to 20 goals a season striker unless a surprise signing appears out of the woodwork, my Optimism should be admired lol????!!!!!

I agree about a top striker Rabb but most people seem to be missing the point of our last line of defence. As I previously remarked I thought we were a bit light in the goalkeeping department and lost or drew several games because of bad keeping but suddenly we are told Granty is returning. This is great news because I think this single signing will make the team 11% better and in my opinion will get us into next years play offs. Great joy!
Transfer Targets? on 22:13 - Oct 23 with 2257 views1960Ram

So, most of the names mentioned have not done much and we ended up with Martin and Forsyth. Seventeen months on, are we happy? I certainly am.
Transfer Targets? on 10:32 - Oct 27 with 2217 viewsRabbram10

Well Martin has proved his worth, that was pleasing, I've changed my mind on Forsyth he has been average so far this season, not the player he was last season?

I still think we are a striker short of staying top two, Best isent the answer IMO?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024