Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! 22:33 - Jan 12 with 5119 viewsJJJack

Laudrup is undoubtedly a fine Manager with a pretty good overall record. Strange that he appears to have a blind spot when it comes to Strikers.
BONY - allegedly didn't want to sign him and doesn't rate him.
GRAHAM - sold him despite the fact he was scoring at a reasonable rate. Performances clearly weren't great admittedly.
MOORE - Bizarrely under-used and often dropped for the aberration that is Schecter. Had the best mins per goal record for the Swans in 2012-13. Sold despite this.
SCHECTER - See above, enough said
VAZQUEZ - Obviously a cheap option but a player ML wanted. Yet to score.
DONNELLY - Just one start ever, during which he did quite well IMO. Clearly not trusted as yet.
ASPAS - ML's first choice to buy this season. But has been a flop at Liverpool scoring just once against a League One side last weekend.
MICHU - Despite never having having previously played up front ML has regularly played him there even though the player doesn't like the role. Has not scored a Prem goal when played as striker this season.
LITA - Has never played under ML as far as i can remember.
LUKAKU - ML has recently admitted trying to sign him.....but then who wouldn't try and sign him if they could?!

Is this overly harsh or fair enough???
[Post edited 12 Jan 2014 22:34]
Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 09:48 - Jan 14 with 1274 viewsRancid

There's a reason we don't sign quality back up strikers.Because there aren't any and no club will sell a striker if he's half decent.Shechter and Vasquez were obviously not good enough and surplus at their previous clubs which is why we got them.Defoe was mentioned but there's no way he's gonna sit on the bench behind Bony.Back up strikers are very difficult to find.All the decent ones want to start every game.
Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 09:53 - Jan 14 with 1275 views2face

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 20:31 - Jan 13 by KulusBeatFactory

Gotta just love the irony in the thread title

Here is Laudrup's Achilles heel in action.

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 09:59 - Jan 14 with 1263 viewsJackSomething

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 09:48 - Jan 14 by Rancid

There's a reason we don't sign quality back up strikers.Because there aren't any and no club will sell a striker if he's half decent.Shechter and Vasquez were obviously not good enough and surplus at their previous clubs which is why we got them.Defoe was mentioned but there's no way he's gonna sit on the bench behind Bony.Back up strikers are very difficult to find.All the decent ones want to start every game.

Well said.

I agree with the majority that Shechter was a bizarre signing and that ML was harsh on Moore, but Vasquez is on paper an ideal second striker signing for a club like us.

Young and with obvious ability, a middling club scoring record, but an excellent record for Spain's pretty decent U21 team. With the way we play football, there was a chance he'd come here and flourish. Plus it's a loan, so low risk move financially.

Shame it hasn't worked out, but anyone expecting us to sign the likes of Steven Fletcher or Shane Long to sit on the bench behind Bony this January or in the summer is going to be disappointed.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 10:07 - Jan 14 with 1238 viewsperchrockjack

Im stuck ,fair play. Really cant add anything now

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 10:19 - Jan 14 with 1237 viewsJackanapes

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 07:54 - Jan 13 by waynekerr55

I could get goals in the Israeli pub league

You could also, on recent testimony, manage better than David Moyes and coach better that Oscar. I feel you are going to waste in your current position. Have you tried

http://www.reed.co.uk/lovemondays

I'm sure they will hook you up with the position your talents deserve.

as for the op, If anyone didn't want Bony, it was HJ. People should read his program notes once in a while.

“The stupidest thing she knew was for people to act like they knew all about the things they knew absolutely nothing about.”

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 10:20 - Jan 14 with 1236 viewsDull1Thomas

OK I'm going to try to defend ML based on your list as I see things quite differently.
First off I'm not part of the rumour mill so only go on what I read, see and hear via sources away from ASDA Llansamlet.

BONY - allegedly didn't want to sign him and doesn't rate him. - Never heard ML didn't want him, in fact I recall HJ talking about £12 million being available if ML had the right person in his sights.
GRAHAM - sold him despite the fact he was scoring at a reasonable rate. Performances clearly weren't great admittedly. - TBH a good deal here as it has been well documented DG wasn't having a great time on a personal level and his record on leaving us appears to confirm that not all well well.
MOORE - Bizarrely under-used and often dropped for the aberration that is Schecter. Had the best mins per goal record for the Swans in 2012-13. Sold despite this. - Moore had suffered major abuse on this and other similar forums - seemed to have great promise that rarely transferred into goals, but did provide a presence.
SCHECTER - See above, enough said - Nuff said
VAZQUEZ - Obviously a cheap option but a player ML wanted. Yet to score. Not sure who ML wanted to sign but few managers have their own way and he may not have have been first choice, how many of our players are? More Borini than Graham in approach but as you say - no goals
DONNELLY - Just one start ever, during which he did quite well IMO. Clearly not trusted as yet. - Can't agree on Donnelly, I would like nothing more than to see our youngsters do well but he is not ready .. performances at -21 are quite good but senior minutes have seen him completely out of his depth and may have led to damaged confidence (only evidence is body language and maybe as a result of not breaking into the team).
ASPAS - ML's first choice to buy this season. But has been a flop at Liverpool scoring just once against a League One side last weekend. True
MICHU - Despite never having having previously played up front ML has regularly played him there even though the player doesn't like the role. Has not scored a Prem goal when played as striker this season. Can't argue with that but hasn't had game time to form a partnership with Bony so even when picked as AM his positioning has been more like a front man where he and Bony get in each other's way.
LITA - Has never played under ML as far as i can remember. - Leroy has only been a minor figure at Swansea and IMO has spent too much time here for his own good.
LUKAKU - ML has recently admitted trying to sign him.....but then who wouldn't try and sign him if they could?! Exactly - we aren't a player magnet. Shelvey is probably the exception when it comes to 'name' players coming to us. Let's give ML credit for getting Dyer and Routledge hitting the heights and being talked of as possible internationals again. Pozuello is an excellent signing and Lamah I think has more to offer - all who play attacking roles.
So I think you are being harsh given our financial muscle but maybe less so given outcomes.

And I have nothing to do this morning :-)

Poll: Should Huw Jenkins step down?

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 12:37 - Jan 14 with 1190 viewswaynekerr55

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 10:19 - Jan 14 by Jackanapes

You could also, on recent testimony, manage better than David Moyes and coach better that Oscar. I feel you are going to waste in your current position. Have you tried

http://www.reed.co.uk/lovemondays

I'm sure they will hook you up with the position your talents deserve.

as for the op, If anyone didn't want Bony, it was HJ. People should read his program notes once in a while.

Where have I said that then?
[Post edited 14 Jan 2014 12:43]

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 12:56 - Jan 14 with 1166 viewsgibs0n

Bony can still turn out to be an excellent striker for us. Don't write him off yet!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024