Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! 22:33 - Jan 12 with 5120 viewsJJJack

Laudrup is undoubtedly a fine Manager with a pretty good overall record. Strange that he appears to have a blind spot when it comes to Strikers.
BONY - allegedly didn't want to sign him and doesn't rate him.
GRAHAM - sold him despite the fact he was scoring at a reasonable rate. Performances clearly weren't great admittedly.
MOORE - Bizarrely under-used and often dropped for the aberration that is Schecter. Had the best mins per goal record for the Swans in 2012-13. Sold despite this.
SCHECTER - See above, enough said
VAZQUEZ - Obviously a cheap option but a player ML wanted. Yet to score.
DONNELLY - Just one start ever, during which he did quite well IMO. Clearly not trusted as yet.
ASPAS - ML's first choice to buy this season. But has been a flop at Liverpool scoring just once against a League One side last weekend.
MICHU - Despite never having having previously played up front ML has regularly played him there even though the player doesn't like the role. Has not scored a Prem goal when played as striker this season.
LITA - Has never played under ML as far as i can remember.
LUKAKU - ML has recently admitted trying to sign him.....but then who wouldn't try and sign him if they could?!

Is this overly harsh or fair enough???
[Post edited 12 Jan 2014 22:34]
Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 18:21 - Jan 13 with 950 viewsYougle

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 23:05 - Jan 12 by HugeEnkins

Neither overly harsh nor fair. Just pointless drivel to be honest. None of us actually know what's been said or done, but we are all entitled to our opinions. For me, I'd rather just stick to the facts, but then who the f am I?

What he said
Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 18:23 - Jan 13 with 950 viewsC_jack

Laudrup didn't want to sign Bony? who did then? Kevin Johns?

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 18:53 - Jan 13 with 917 viewsJJJack

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 18:23 - Jan 13 by C_jack

Laudrup didn't want to sign Bony? who did then? Kevin Johns?

The board. Can you get your head around that? Or do you believe that Paulo Sousa decided to buy international superstars Craig Beattie and Lee Trundle. Or that ML only had eyes for Jamie Proctor when Laudrup joined Swansea as Manager in 2012?? Oh hang on, he's another striker that disappeared without trace without ever having played for us. Rightly or wrongly.
The board choose most of our players and have done for years. As others have already said on this very thread. It's remarkable people still have this quaint view that Managers approve all signings!
Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 18:55 - Jan 13 with 904 viewsJackfath

FWIW JJ, I echo your sentiments.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 18:55 - Jan 13 with 911 viewsDarran

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 18:53 - Jan 13 by JJJack

The board. Can you get your head around that? Or do you believe that Paulo Sousa decided to buy international superstars Craig Beattie and Lee Trundle. Or that ML only had eyes for Jamie Proctor when Laudrup joined Swansea as Manager in 2012?? Oh hang on, he's another striker that disappeared without trace without ever having played for us. Rightly or wrongly.
The board choose most of our players and have done for years. As others have already said on this very thread. It's remarkable people still have this quaint view that Managers approve all signings!

I don't believe for one minute the board sign most of our players but everyone else can believe what they want.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 18:56 - Jan 13 with 901 viewsJackfath

I believe the children are our future.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 18:58 - Jan 13 with 905 viewsDr_Winston

Laudrup might approve all signings (I have my doubts on that) but he certainly doesn't identify them all himself. Some come from his people, others directly from the club scouts.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 19:08 - Jan 13 with 892 viewsJJJack

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 18:58 - Jan 13 by Dr_Winston

Laudrup might approve all signings (I have my doubts on that) but he certainly doesn't identify them all himself. Some come from his people, others directly from the club scouts.

This. And I hope it remains this way. For a club who do things the "traditional" way please look East a few miles and watch how that works out.
Login to get fewer ads

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 19:09 - Jan 13 with 887 viewsC_jack

I have no idea whether you are being serious or not. In your eyes what does ML actually do then? Turn up on a Saturday and ask Huw Jenkins who is playing?

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 19:11 - Jan 13 with 881 viewsDr_Winston

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 19:08 - Jan 13 by JJJack

This. And I hope it remains this way. For a club who do things the "traditional" way please look East a few miles and watch how that works out.

The club will always need its own scouting system. We got badly burned when the Greaseball took Kevin Reeves with him.

I'm not entirely sure that they've got the balance right between the manager and board (let's be honest, Huw is basically the Director of Football) but things seem to be working pretty well so far, the odd South Korean glitch aside.

It's natural for any manager to favour his own players (and even more so with Laudrup by the looks of it) and we can't really afford to be spending big money on players that aren't going to be playing. Needs a little work IMO.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 19:12 - Jan 13 with 876 viewsC_jack

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 18:58 - Jan 13 by Dr_Winston

That's common sense though isn't it? A signing goes through a whole network of people at the club before the manager eventually agrees the deal.

I can't see a new player turning up for training on a Monday morning without Laudrup's approval. Doesn't seem the type.

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 19:17 - Jan 13 with 862 viewsIAN05

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 19:09 - Jan 13 by C_jack

I have no idea whether you are being serious or not. In your eyes what does ML actually do then? Turn up on a Saturday and ask Huw Jenkins who is playing?

Laudrup approves all signings. That is a fact.

Like all clubs , scouts, board members, backroom staff, agents etc all recommend players but at thia club the manager has the final say. Huw Jenkins and the board have stated on numerous occasions that there is simply no point in doing any other way.

The likes of Jamie Proctor are different as were signed for the development squad, which is not Laudrups remit.

If anyone thinks we spent 12 million on Bony even though the manager didn't want him, they have no idea how this club is run.
Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 19:19 - Jan 13 with 858 viewsPozuelosSideys

Its been mentioned a number of times at the forums that the club has its own scouting systems now because of what happened with Martinez as well as what the manager brings. ML has Erik Larsen. The manager always has the final say on who we bring in.

Rodgers called our system "the friends of Swansea City".

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 19:24 - Jan 13 with 849 viewsJJJack

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 19:09 - Jan 13 by C_jack

Laudrup does what most Head Coaches all over the top European Leagues do. He recommends signings, he is persuaded into others by his bosses , he implements a coaching system, a playing system and picks the team. Do you, for instance, think AVB demanded to sign all these new Spurs players or do you think he ended up with a squad that had perhaps been largely put together by Levy and his scouts?
Of course I am being serious mate. That said my OP was not about what he does moreover it's what is his strategy regarding strikers.....as I struggle to fathom what he's trying to achieve up front at times (though FWIW I am very happy with what he does with the rest of the squad).
Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 19:28 - Jan 13 with 844 viewsDarran

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 19:24 - Jan 13 by JJJack

Laudrup does what most Head Coaches all over the top European Leagues do. He recommends signings, he is persuaded into others by his bosses , he implements a coaching system, a playing system and picks the team. Do you, for instance, think AVB demanded to sign all these new Spurs players or do you think he ended up with a squad that had perhaps been largely put together by Levy and his scouts?
Of course I am being serious mate. That said my OP was not about what he does moreover it's what is his strategy regarding strikers.....as I struggle to fathom what he's trying to achieve up front at times (though FWIW I am very happy with what he does with the rest of the squad).

So they're Laudrups signings and the board negotiate the wages then?

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 19:29 - Jan 13 with 836 viewsJJJack

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 19:19 - Jan 13 by PozuelosSideys

Its been mentioned a number of times at the forums that the club has its own scouting systems now because of what happened with Martinez as well as what the manager brings. ML has Erik Larsen. The manager always has the final say on who we bring in.

Rodgers called our system "the friends of Swansea City".

ML has Erik Larsen. The manager always has the final say on who we bring in.

Please point out where Larsen has spoken about wanting to sign Bony then. I'll help you out though, you won't find anything. Because he wasn't his choice.
Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 19:33 - Jan 13 with 822 viewsJJJack

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 19:28 - Jan 13 by Darran

So they're Laudrups signings and the board negotiate the wages then?

Depends which signings you're talking about. Others have elucidated my point better than I have on here already (eg Winston Boogie).
Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 19:35 - Jan 13 with 813 viewsDarran

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 19:33 - Jan 13 by JJJack

Depends which signings you're talking about. Others have elucidated my point better than I have on here already (eg Winston Boogie).

Well I don't think that any of our team on Saturday were the boards signings myself but like I said you crack on J.

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 19:38 - Jan 13 with 806 viewsC_jack

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 19:29 - Jan 13 by JJJack

Please point out where Larsen has spoken about wanting to sign Bony then. I'll help you out though, you won't find anything. Because he wasn't his choice.

So he always has the final say on who we bring in but he didn't have the final say on our record signing?

Righty-ho then.

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 19:42 - Jan 13 with 796 viewsIAN05

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 19:38 - Jan 13 by C_jack

So he always has the final say on who we bring in but he didn't have the final say on our record signing?

Righty-ho then.

And a club that us famous for its prudent approach spent 12 million pounds on a striker that the manager neither requested or wanted.

not buying that one, sorry
Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 19:47 - Jan 13 with 789 viewsexiledclaseboy

I'm proper confused now. Huw Jenkins and the notoriously cautious board of Swansea City spunked out £12m on Wilfried Bony, a player that the manager they're paying big bucks to neither wanted or rated?

Pull the other one. It's got Alvaro Vazquez on.

Poll: Tory leader

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 19:50 - Jan 13 with 783 viewsJackInLondon

Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 19:29 - Jan 13 by JJJack

How does that mean anything? If ML and the board had any sense they wouldn't discuss real targets in the press too much as it just drives the price up and alerts other clubs.

Watch the doc about ML on YouTube and you'll see how much he is his own man. Challenging to deal with at times no doubt but I'd be very surprised he's stuck around if it was the case that the board have bought players without his approval.

As for Vazquez, he used to knock them in against Barcelona for fun ( and Spanish players have done alright in the Premiership so maybe sometimes you just can't predict these things.
Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 20:13 - Jan 13 with 741 viewsJackFish

I'm sure the board do suggest targets and have their own scouts. I highly doubt that they randomly sign players for megabucks that the manager either has no knowledge of or actively doesn't want to sign.
Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 20:31 - Jan 13 with 726 viewsKulusBeatFactory

Gotta just love the irony in the thread title
Laudrup's Achillies Heel.....Strikers! on 09:33 - Jan 14 with 672 viewsperchrockjack

I believe

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024