Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Welsh or British 17:41 - Mar 6 with 4995 viewsDarran

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Sam-Warburton-captain-Wales-criticised-T

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Welsh or British on 18:12 - Mar 7 with 936 viewsyescomeon

Welsh or British on 19:12 - Mar 6 by Kilkennyjack

People who live, work, and contribute to Wales are Welsh. Wales is our (old) nation, but Britain is not a nation - it is a relatively recent political construct. Although I much prefer Cymru. Younger people are much more positive about being welsh than the war generation. That's my view anyhow.

Agree mate.

"A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it." - Max Planck

Upthecity!

Welsh or British on 18:28 - Mar 7 with 916 viewstomdickharry

Citizen of the United Kingdom therefore British.
Welsh or British on 18:54 - Mar 7 with 907 viewsexiledclaseboy

Welsh or British on 18:28 - Mar 7 by tomdickharry

Citizen of the United Kingdom therefore British.

One doesn't necessarily follow the other. People from Northern Ireland are citizens of the UK. But they're not British.

Poll: Tory leader

Welsh or British on 19:07 - Mar 7 with 901 viewsBravoJack

I find the whole 'proud to be welsh' thing, cringeworthy... and it only turns up on my FB timeline when there is international egg on the telebox. Funnily enough it also coincides with droves of ugly birds in egg jerseys knowing nothing about the sport making there way to wind st and praying the blokes are pissed enough to give them a stuffing.
Welsh or British on 19:47 - Mar 7 with 882 viewsItchySphincter

Welsh or British on 19:07 - Mar 7 by BravoJack

I find the whole 'proud to be welsh' thing, cringeworthy... and it only turns up on my FB timeline when there is international egg on the telebox. Funnily enough it also coincides with droves of ugly birds in egg jerseys knowing nothing about the sport making there way to wind st and praying the blokes are pissed enough to give them a stuffing.

Sounds good. Sunday is it?

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Welsh or British on 19:48 - Mar 7 with 881 viewsLohengrin

Welsh or British on 18:54 - Mar 7 by exiledclaseboy

One doesn't necessarily follow the other. People from Northern Ireland are citizens of the UK. But they're not British.

Ha! Ha! Try trotting that one out in any pub on The Shankill or Sandy Row of a weekend.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Welsh or British on 19:50 - Mar 7 with 877 viewsexiledclaseboy

Welsh or British on 19:48 - Mar 7 by Lohengrin

Ha! Ha! Try trotting that one out in any pub on The Shankill or Sandy Row of a weekend.

Yeah well I'm not dull. You know what I mean anyway. The island of Ireland, whatever its political make up, isn't part of Britain.

Welsh or British on 19:50 - Mar 7 with 874 viewsLohengrin

Welsh or British on 19:12 - Mar 6 by Kilkennyjack

People who live, work, and contribute to Wales are Welsh. Wales is our (old) nation, but Britain is not a nation - it is a relatively recent political construct. Although I much prefer Cymru. Younger people are much more positive about being welsh than the war generation. That's my view anyhow.

By that all encompassing formula Vincent Tan is a Welshman. Blood makes us who we are not postcode.

Login to get fewer ads

Welsh or British on 19:51 - Mar 7 with 872 viewspansypants

Welsh or British on 19:50 - Mar 7 by exiledclaseboy

Yeah well I'm not dull. You know what I mean anyway. The island of Ireland, whatever its political make up, isn't part of Britain.

Peat Bog land that doesn't know whether its Arthur or Martha
[Post edited 7 Mar 2014 19:52]

Poll: Sick of the media love in with Brazil?

Welsh or British on 19:54 - Mar 7 with 868 viewsLohengrin

We're all of us sons and daughters of the British Isles no matter who collects our taxes. Whether you're from Killay, Kenilworth, Kilkenny or Kirkcaldy we're the same people.

Welsh or British on 19:58 - Mar 7 with 864 viewsexiledclaseboy

Welsh or British on 19:54 - Mar 7 by Lohengrin

We're all of us sons and daughters of the British Isles no matter who collects our taxes. Whether you're from Killay, Kenilworth, Kilkenny or Kirkcaldy we're the same people.

Almost in a "We are the People" kind of way.

I feel dirty just typing that.

Welsh or British on 19:59 - Mar 7 with 862 viewsLohengrin

Welsh or British on 19:58 - Mar 7 by exiledclaseboy

Almost in a "We are the People" kind of way.

I feel dirty just typing that.

Welsh or British on 22:06 - Mar 7 with 835 viewsBravoJack

Welsh or British on 19:47 - Mar 7 by ItchySphincter

Sounds good. Sunday is it?

No idea
Welsh or British on 22:19 - Mar 7 with 820 viewsdgt73

What a perverted way of thinking but that's the sort of sh*t you expect from the looney left, next you will be saying the people who live in alaska aren't American.

Poll: Have Swansea got some of the most negative w@nkers following them

Welsh or British on 22:25 - Mar 7 with 809 viewsdgt73

Welsh or British on 07:55 - Mar 7 by epaul

Utter bollox, being proud of being welsh has nothing to do where you live, all about freedom of movement which we have. I moved because it gave me the opportunity to give my children the best possible upbringing that I could at the time

Sometimes its just better to say nothing, than open your month and sound a fool as you have.

Welsh or British on 04:02 - Mar 8 with 787 viewsCatullus

Welsh or British on 18:12 - Mar 7 by yescomeon

Agree mate.

"A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it." - Max Planck

And you can extend that back far enough to a time when there was no Wales, no England, UK or Europe either.
All countries and borders are relatively new constructs!
Really speaking, we are all Earthicans!!! Now where is Leela?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Welsh or British on 09:30 - Mar 8 with 758 viewsepaul

Welsh or British on 22:25 - Mar 7 by dgt73

Sometimes its just better to say nothing, than open your month and sound a fool as you have.

Get your spelling right or you'll look a bigger fool

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

Welsh or British on 14:24 - Mar 8 with 735 viewsexiledclaseboy

Welsh or British on 22:19 - Mar 7 by dgt73

What a perverted way of thinking but that's the sort of sh*t you expect from the looney left, next you will be saying the people who live in alaska aren't American.

I don't know about perverted my old sparring partner but it's a simple geographical and political fact that Northern Ireland is not part of Britain.

Welsh or British on 14:36 - Mar 8 with 726 viewsDr_Winston

Welsh or British on 14:24 - Mar 8 by exiledclaseboy

I don't know about perverted my old sparring partner but it's a simple geographical and political fact that Northern Ireland is not part of Britain.

Correct.

It is not part of Great Britain. It is part of the British Isles.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Welsh or British on 14:42 - Mar 8 with 716 viewsexiledclaseboy

Welsh or British on 14:36 - Mar 8 by Dr_Winston

Correct.

It is not part of Great Britain. It is part of the British Isles.

And part of the United Kingdom, obviously. But not part of Britain. However, I am grateful for your confirmation of what is primary school standard geography.

I think dgt, with his "loony left" reference, thought I was making some kind of "Ireland for the Irish" statement. However, where Northern Ireland sits in the political landscape of the UK or otherwise is a subject I really don't give a tiny flying f*ck about. Why anyone outside of Northern Ireland gives a f*ck about it is always something that's been a source of great mystery to me.

Still, No Surrender and all that b*llocks, eh.

Welsh or British on 16:58 - Mar 8 with 692 viewsKilkennyjack

A free scotland and then a free wales will actually strengthen and modernise the relationships between the constituent nations of these islands........our diversity is a great strength......

Beware of the Risen People

Welsh or British on 17:24 - Mar 8 with 678 viewsdgt73

Welsh or British on 14:24 - Mar 8 by exiledclaseboy

You can play with whatever words you want, and yes northern Ireland is not part of Britain, but the correct name is the United Kingdom of great Britain and northern Ireland, so the people of northern Ireland are British and thats a fact.

Welsh or British on 17:28 - Mar 8 with 676 viewsexiledclaseboy

Welsh or British on 17:24 - Mar 8 by dgt73

You can play with whatever words you want, and yes northern Ireland is not part of Britain, but the correct name is the United Kingdom of great Britain and northern Ireland, so the people of northern Ireland are British and thats a fact.

Well no it's not but you got the first and second bits right at least. That's progress. By the same token as Lohengrin's point about telling some NI people they're not British being dangerous for your health, it's equally as dangerous to tell the other half that they are British.

In short, best avoided all round really. It's a clusterf*ck.

Welsh or British on 17:37 - Mar 8 with 669 viewsdgt73

Welsh or British on 17:28 - Mar 8 by exiledclaseboy

Well no it's not but you got the first and second bits right at least. That's progress. By the same token as Lohengrin's point about telling some NI people they're not British being dangerous for your health, it's equally as dangerous to tell the other half that they are British.

In short, best avoided all round really. It's a clusterf*ck.

What's not right. And i believe if there was a referendum in NI regarding being part of the UK or ROI most Catholics would vote to stay in the UK purely from a economic and practical stand point, because at present the roi economy is a basket case.

Welsh or British on 17:42 - Mar 8 with 665 viewsexiledclaseboy

Welsh or British on 17:37 - Mar 8 by dgt73

What's not right. And i believe if there was a referendum in NI regarding being part of the UK or ROI most Catholics would vote to stay in the UK purely from a economic and practical stand point, because at present the roi economy is a basket case.

You could be right although I doubt many catholics would vote in that referendum on economic grounds. That's conjecture though. Although it's interesting that at the last general election Sinn Fein won the most votes in NI and Irish nationalist parties won about 42% of the total votes. The gap between the two in votes has been narrowing for some time now.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024