Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stadium expansion should go ahead with no worries.We are not a small club. 13:47 - Apr 28 with 9232 viewsNOTRAC

We often read on here of over expectations and that we are currently punching above our weight.However with four years experience of the Premiership to look forward to next year,plus a no debt situation perhaps it is time to revalue ourselves on the Premier stage.
There is no doubt that where we let ourselves down at the moment is in ground capacity.At a maximum of 20,750 we have the smallest Stadium in the league and perhaps we associate this with doubts regarding filling additional seating if we expand ,based on the idea that population wise we perform badly when compared with other other cities and towns in the Premiership.
However in general this is not so and if we allow for the fact that Manchester and Liverpool support two teams ,most,including ourselves are very close to each other as follows
Southampton population. 253651
Newcastle. 280200
Liverpool. 466400 but support two teams therefore 233200 each.
West Brom. 135618
Sunderland. 275500
Stoke. 249000
Hull. 256100
Norwich. 213166
Manchester. 503000 but support two teams therefore 256500 each
Cardiff. 346000
Swansea. 239600
The two teams already promoted for next year have populations as follows
Leicester. 329900
Burnley. 73500
I have not included the London clubs as their catchment area is close and huge but the populations of the actual areas where London clubs exist is not huge eg Fulham 165242, Tottenham115965 and Chelsea 36 828.
The major anomaly in the lists is Aston Villa the sole representative in the Premiership of Birmingham with a population of 1074000.
On the basis of population areas we should have no fears in increasing our capacity to well above 30000.The sooner we do this the better.
In no way then could we be described as a small club punching above our weight.

Poll: Has the Europa Cup been worth entering this year?

Stadium expansion should go ahead with no worries.We are not a small club. on 14:01 - Apr 28 with 4388 viewsGretsch

Dont think it's the stadium that's the problem its the crappy rail service, bus service, car parking, access in and out.

Just getting out of the car park is over half hour wait.

Simple things, Landore train station, open one Cater for away fans, Neath, Port Talbot, West Wales types, or anywhere there is a train station basically. Reduce a large number vof cars coming here.

I come on train from Neath and then bus to pub/ground as I have a few before game About twenty buses passed in the 25 minute wait from train arrival, only the bendy bus stops by the stadium? Better links, better timing actually cater for the fact there is an event in Swansea not act as if its a normal day.

Access from car park, only way out is where the pedestrain supporters have to walk, change the exit, to lead onto the dual carriageway centre/other end of car park

Coming out of the East, there is a narrow path that eveyone has to walk on unless you want to slide on your arse in the muddy grass, slows pedestrians down, make it bloody wider so people can get out quicker, so the cars can get out quicker.
Coppers on roundabout by Coopers, dont just stand there direct the forking traffic like the old cops used to.
Stadium expansion should go ahead with no worries.We are not a small club. on 14:30 - Apr 28 with 4286 viewsairedale

It might help a bit if the bars were open until about a hour after the match. Change the stampede culture if people stay behind for a drink and a nibble.
Stadium expansion should go ahead with no worries.We are not a small club. on 14:31 - Apr 28 with 4282 viewslonglostjack

Stadium expansion should go ahead with no worries.We are not a small club. on 14:01 - Apr 28 by Gretsch

Dont think it's the stadium that's the problem its the crappy rail service, bus service, car parking, access in and out.

Simple things, Landore train station, open one Cater for away fans, Neath, Port Talbot, West Wales types, or anywhere there is a train station basically. Reduce a large number vof cars coming here.

I come on train from Neath and then bus to pub/ground as I have a few before game About twenty buses passed in the 25 minute wait from train arrival, only the bendy bus stops by the stadium? Better links, better timing actually cater for the fact there is an event in Swansea not act as if its a normal day.

Access from car park, only way out is where the pedestrain supporters have to walk, change the exit, to lead onto the dual carriageway centre/other end of car park

Coming out of the East, there is a narrow path that eveyone has to walk on unless you want to slide on your arse in the muddy grass, slows pedestrians down, make it bloody wider so people can get out quicker, so the cars can get out quicker.
Coppers on roundabout by Coopers, dont just stand there direct the forking traffic like the old cops used to.

"Better links, better timing actually cater for the fact there is an event in Swansea not act as if its a normal day. "

Spot on !

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Stadium expansion should go ahead with no worries.We are not a small club. on 14:34 - Apr 28 with 4268 viewsNOTRAC

There is no doubt that careful planning and management is needed to expand successfully, but filling the seats will not be a problem.

Stadium expansion should go ahead with no worries.We are not a small club. on 14:36 - Apr 28 with 4260 viewspencoedjack

Stadium expansion should go ahead with no worries.We are not a small club. on 14:01 - Apr 28 by Gretsch

You should get a job as a planner for Swansea City council mate.

Spot on with everything there.
Stadium expansion should go ahead with no worries.We are not a small club. on 14:43 - Apr 28 with 4224 viewsNOTRAC

Present ground capacities of clubs referred to are as follows
ManUtd. 75731
Newcastle. 52339
Sunderland. 48707
Man City. 48000
Liverpool. 45522
Aston Villa. 42785
Everton. 40157
Southampton. 32689
Leicester. 32500
Stoke. 28383
Cardiff. 28000
Norwich. 27244
West Brom. 26500
Hull. 25404
Burnley. 22546
Swansea. 20750
To progress we must treat this matter with urgency, and with no fear.

Stadium expansion should go ahead with no worries.We are not a small club. on 14:46 - Apr 28 with 4215 viewsairedale

Stadium expansion should go ahead with no worries.We are not a small club. on 14:43 - Apr 28 by NOTRAC

Present ground capacities of clubs referred to are as follows
ManUtd. 75731
Newcastle. 52339
Sunderland. 48707
Man City. 48000
Liverpool. 45522
Aston Villa. 42785
Everton. 40157
Southampton. 32689
Leicester. 32500
Stoke. 28383
Cardiff. 28000
Norwich. 27244
West Brom. 26500
Hull. 25404
Burnley. 22546
Swansea. 20750
To progress we must treat this matter with urgency, and with no fear.

I agree, only trouble is, it's the 'no fear' group you've got to convince.
Stadium expansion should go ahead with no worries.We are not a small club. on 14:54 - Apr 28 with 4196 viewswaynekerr55

Stadium expansion should go ahead with no worries.We are not a small club. on 14:36 - Apr 28 by pencoedjack

You should get a job as a planner for Swansea City council mate.

Spot on with everything there.

Far too competent to work for that shower pal

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Login to get fewer ads

Stadium expansion should go ahead with no worries.We are not a small club. on 14:55 - Apr 28 with 4190 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Why not make a deal with first Cymru and request 5 or more bendy buses be laid on and waiting by the bus stop on Neath Road across from the ground to ferry fans into town ? If a trial is arranged for a few games next season and it is advertised well people will use them. Extra revenue for the bus company and the club could help with a small subsidy to make sure the service is viable. This would be greatly welcomed for Sunday games as there is a reduced ordinary service with no bendy buses. If you haven't got a car and can't afford taxis you're f*cked on Sundays for transport back into town

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Stadium expansion should go ahead with no worries.We are not a small club. on 15:39 - Apr 28 with 4099 viewslonglostjack

Stadium expansion should go ahead with no worries.We are not a small club. on 14:55 - Apr 28 by Brynmill_Jack

Why not make a deal with first Cymru and request 5 or more bendy buses be laid on and waiting by the bus stop on Neath Road across from the ground to ferry fans into town ? If a trial is arranged for a few games next season and it is advertised well people will use them. Extra revenue for the bus company and the club could help with a small subsidy to make sure the service is viable. This would be greatly welcomed for Sunday games as there is a reduced ordinary service with no bendy buses. If you haven't got a car and can't afford taxis you're f*cked on Sundays for transport back into town

Yes this is standard practice in Germany for example, where clubs do deals with the local bus and train companies. In fact you don't need to buy a bus ticket if you are travelling to or from the ground and have a ticket for the match.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Stadium expansion should go ahead with no worries.We are not a small club. on 16:17 - Apr 28 with 4005 viewsGretsch

Stadium expansion should go ahead with no worries.We are not a small club. on 14:55 - Apr 28 by Brynmill_Jack

Spot on. Forgot my other bit. Getting bus away from the ground. First thing the cops want is to clear the area. So have a bus or two waiting to take people to the station then. Not close the road off first.

Genuine Conversation after the Cardiff game.

Copper "why you hanging around here (about 20 people)?"
Me " ummm waiting for a bus"
Copper "When's it due then?"
Me "You tell me, you've got the road closed"
Copper "oh yeah, can't you walk?"
Me " No"
Copper after talk on his radio "OK you can wait here"
Me " oh thanks for that"

Me in my mind "Furk off you twart"
Stadium expansion should go ahead with no worries.We are not a small club. on 16:33 - Apr 28 with 3952 viewsDyfnant

Landore platform would eradicate most issues

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

Stadium expansion should go ahead with no worries.We are not a small club. on 16:35 - Apr 28 with 3936 viewsWarwickHunt

Stadium expansion should go ahead with no worries.We are not a small club. on 16:17 - Apr 28 by Gretsch

Spot on. Forgot my other bit. Getting bus away from the ground. First thing the cops want is to clear the area. So have a bus or two waiting to take people to the station then. Not close the road off first.

Genuine Conversation after the Cardiff game.

Copper "why you hanging around here (about 20 people)?"
Me " ummm waiting for a bus"
Copper "When's it due then?"
Me "You tell me, you've got the road closed"
Copper "oh yeah, can't you walk?"
Me " No"
Copper after talk on his radio "OK you can wait here"
Me " oh thanks for that"

Me in my mind "Furk off you twart"

Manchester's public transport system is superb but Citeh have dozens of double decker buses outside the ground to take people into the centre for a couple of quid.
Stadium expansion should go ahead with no worries.We are not a small club. on 16:43 - Apr 28 with 3900 viewsDr_Winston

Stadium expansion should go ahead with no worries.We are not a small club. on 16:35 - Apr 28 by WarwickHunt

Manchester's public transport system is superb but Citeh have dozens of double decker buses outside the ground to take people into the centre for a couple of quid.

Club should put on buses to harder to reach areas for all match days, but especially evenings and Sundays. It's not hard to get to and from the ground from town, Morriston and the surrounding, but I wouldn't fancy making my way home to somewhere like Skewen after a 4pm Sunday game.

Must be ample demand for a service like that if people knew it was running. Even if a nominal price was charged and pre-booking needed.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Stadium expansion should go ahead with no worries.We are not a small club. on 16:48 - Apr 28 with 3881 views3swan

I agree something needs doing but it will only happen with, as you say, a subsidy.

No money in it for the bus company as they would have to pay the drivers for a shift just for the extra one off journey.
Stadium expansion should go ahead with no worries.We are not a small club. on 16:49 - Apr 28 with 3872 viewsicecoldjack

Proud to read this thread ,loads of sensible comments that put the whole process into correct perspective, ie , it aint rocket science !
Stadium expansion should go ahead with no worries.We are not a small club. on 16:52 - Apr 28 with 3863 viewskopperburgjack

But we don't sell out every game?? And some of the away followings we've had this season and last season have been embarrasing. Ground expansion is a no from me

Win, draw or lose.. Jacks are on the booze

Stadium expansion should go ahead with no worries.We are not a small club. on 16:54 - Apr 28 with 3853 viewswaynekerr55

Stadium expansion should go ahead with no worries.We are not a small club. on 16:52 - Apr 28 by kopperburgjack

But we don't sell out every game?? And some of the away followings we've had this season and last season have been embarrasing. Ground expansion is a no from me

We do sell every game out at home.

Plus we get more floaters through the gate as we can charge less in a 26k stadium

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Stadium expansion should go ahead with no worries.We are not a small club. on 17:00 - Apr 28 with 3823 viewskopperburgjack

I genuinely thought we didn't, only the big ones and some small games. I know there's still tickets for Southampton game and they've sold out their end so not as if we have to fill north stand. Only reason id like an expansion is to shift the boring fans that sit in North East corner that can't get a ticket anywhere else
[Post edited 28 Apr 2014 17:02]

Win, draw or lose.. Jacks are on the booze

Stadium expansion should go ahead with no worries.We are not a small club. on 17:03 - Apr 28 with 3801 viewsOldjack

Rugger mindset ,far too many of them about who love internationals but cant be asked to support their local clubs

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

Stadium expansion should go ahead with no worries.We are not a small club. on 17:39 - Apr 28 with 3728 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Stadium expansion should go ahead with no worries.We are not a small club. on 16:52 - Apr 28 by kopperburgjack

News to me pal

Stadium expansion should go ahead with no worries.We are not a small club. on 17:46 - Apr 28 with 3710 viewsJackoBoostardo

This here

Is a stadium done right. Fact is, the Liberty Stadium was created by people with little foresight. It's clear that traffic issues would arise, yet it was built with little consideration on the affect of the surrounding area.

The difficulties we face is that due to the affects on the area, any and all future expansion may be opposed by residents and other concerned parties.

Realistically, we need to be looking at how stadiums like Anfield approach issues of parking and public transport, being a stadium larger than the one we are aiming for, yet being of a similar geographic position to that of the Liberty (distance to town centre and in the centre of a heavily built up area (where traffic and parking will be regulated and controlled).

And we're Swaaaaanseeeea Ciiiityyyy! Swaaaansseeeaaa Ciiiityyy F C! We're not necessarily the greatest team in football, the world has ever seen (but we're possibly the most honest and resilient). - On behalf of The Campaign For Realistic Crowd Chanting
Poll: How could Van Persie survive such an horrific attack were it to happen again?

Stadium expansion should go ahead with no worries.We are not a small club. on 18:07 - Apr 28 with 3652 viewsmahoss

I agree with your post 100%
When the Liberty was built,people were saying that the capacity was around 5k too small,that,s where the mistake was made.
We do sell out pretty much every game,you always get a few empty seats at all grounds,even Man U !
We are a fairly large city, we are not punching above our weight,
history has something to do with the mindset.
We need a bigger capacity sooner rather than later to take advantage of the position we are in.
I have a feeling it will be a while before we do.
Stadium expansion should go ahead with no worries.We are not a small club. on 18:13 - Apr 28 with 3631 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Stadium expansion should go ahead with no worries.We are not a small club. on 18:07 - Apr 28 by mahoss

I agree with your post 100%
When the Liberty was built,people were saying that the capacity was around 5k too small,that,s where the mistake was made.
We do sell out pretty much every game,you always get a few empty seats at all grounds,even Man U !
We are a fairly large city, we are not punching above our weight,
history has something to do with the mindset.
We need a bigger capacity sooner rather than later to take advantage of the position we are in.
I have a feeling it will be a while before we do.

Also the local catchment area is fairly big when you include Neath, PT and Llanelli .
And if Cardiff go down and stay down for a few seasons and we keep our PL status then more of them are bound to come over

Stadium expansion should go ahead with no worries.We are not a small club. on 18:34 - Apr 28 with 3567 viewsJackFish

I can't agree that the stadium was too small when built, we were a struggling league two club lucky to get more than 4k for a home game at the time.

Definitely agree that we should be looking to get up to 25k asap though. Would have liked to have seen it done this summer, but maybe we could do similar to what Cardiff have done this season and get it started during the season, so it'd be ready for summer 2015?

Not sure the demand is there to go bigger than that at the moment, but if we were to sell our regularly at 25k then hopefully planning permission etc. could already be in place for the next stage.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024