Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Halal meat 12:13 - May 9 with 15591 viewsFlashberryjack

All this talk of halal meat not being labeled as such.
What are your thoughts on the subject, personally I think it's f*cking disgusting, the thought of some religious guy chanting to Allah before slitting the throat of an animal I will be eating doesn't seem right to me.
Bloody hell this country is being dragged back into the dark ages, why do we not just ban this inhuman ritualistic slaughtering like many other European countries have done ? Companies like Pizza Express and the like are a f*cking disgrace.
At least those companies have come out and admitted that the meat they serve is halal, which gives me the choice of never ever eating there, unfortunately many other companies choose not to disclose the fact that their meat is halal, taking away my right of choice.
Anyway it's just my opinion, what' yours ?

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Halal meat on 19:32 - May 9 with 1132 viewsLohengrin

Halal meat on 19:31 - May 9 by Brynmill_Jack

I've never seen that film. Was Marley extradited to Korea?

No, but the Director ought to have been.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Halal meat on 19:33 - May 9 with 1129 viewsllangyfelach

Anybody else f*cking starving after reading all this? Could batter a Big Mac now

Poll: Sugar on Weetabix?

Halal meat on 19:35 - May 9 with 1127 viewsdgt73

Halal meat on 19:20 - May 9 by exiledclaseboy

I'm not really sure what all the recent fuss is about here. From what I understand there's a bit of an outcry because some large supermarket chains have confirmed that most of their meat is slaughtered by the halal method except that the animals are stunned before they are killed. So the only real difference is that a prayer or blessing is said while the kill is taking place.

You do have to question the motives of someone who's objecting to this purely on the basis of some words that are being spoken while an animal is being killed.

If its a fuss over nothing, then they can stop the blessing and prayers as i don't want any alien tradition forced upon me to satisfy another culture.

Poll: Have Swansea got some of the most negative w@nkers following them

Halal meat on 19:39 - May 9 with 1113 viewsexiledclaseboy

Halal meat on 19:28 - May 9 by Lohengrin

You do know what all the fuss is about, you that cried like a child at the end of Marley and Me, you that deleted the footage of Halal slaughter last Sunday. Don't pretend otherwise for the sake of your Fabian Society membership.

Ha. In all seriousness though, the principle objection to halal butchery is that the animals are not stunned before they are slaughtered. Am I right? Now I've just done a bit of research and the Food Standards Agency's figures confirm that about 88% of all animals slaughtered for halal purposes are indeed so stunned before slaughter. All of the supermarkets involved have confirmed that all their animals are stunned before they are slaughtered, regardless of the method of slaughter being used.

So I ask again, what's the problem? The prayer? The fact that it's an islamic practice? Jewish law expressly forbids stunning yet there's seemingly less fuss about kosher meat. Is that because people don't have the same antipathy towards jews as they do towards muslims (except you of course, you're special). Or is it that jews tend to be a bit less, y'know, brown than muslims?

Poll: Tory leader

Halal meat on 19:42 - May 9 with 1103 viewsexiledclaseboy

Halal meat on 19:35 - May 9 by dgt73

If its a fuss over nothing, then they can stop the blessing and prayers as i don't want any alien tradition forced upon me to satisfy another culture.

I genuinely respect your honesty in saying that your objection is nothing to do with animal welfare but more to do with the fact that it's a muslim practice. And that's not taking the p*ss either.

Halal meat on 19:43 - May 9 with 1093 viewsDarran

Halal meat on 19:39 - May 9 by exiledclaseboy

Ha. In all seriousness though, the principle objection to halal butchery is that the animals are not stunned before they are slaughtered. Am I right? Now I've just done a bit of research and the Food Standards Agency's figures confirm that about 88% of all animals slaughtered for halal purposes are indeed so stunned before slaughter. All of the supermarkets involved have confirmed that all their animals are stunned before they are slaughtered, regardless of the method of slaughter being used.

So I ask again, what's the problem? The prayer? The fact that it's an islamic practice? Jewish law expressly forbids stunning yet there's seemingly less fuss about kosher meat. Is that because people don't have the same antipathy towards jews as they do towards muslims (except you of course, you're special). Or is it that jews tend to be a bit less, y'know, brown than muslims?

As long as it's cooked it's going down the Gregory Peck.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Halal meat on 19:43 - May 9 with 1092 viewsLohengrin

Halal meat on 19:39 - May 9 by exiledclaseboy

How do they confirm that it's 88%, Clase? Seriously now. Does that mean the remaining 12% have been gaoled for their barbarism? I wouldn't hold my breath on the Stat or an even application of the law on that score.

Halal meat on 19:47 - May 9 with 1078 viewsexiledclaseboy

Halal meat on 19:43 - May 9 by Lohengrin

How do they confirm that it's 88%, Clase? Seriously now. Does that mean the remaining 12% have been gaoled for their barbarism? I wouldn't hold my breath on the Stat or an even application of the law on that score.

Well let's be fair, if you're going to dismiss any stat that doesn't suit your argument there's no sensible debate we can have on the issue.

Anyhoo, I know already that you're firmly in the same camp as dgt on the issue and that is of course your right.

Login to get fewer ads

Halal meat on 19:50 - May 9 with 1074 viewsdgt73

Halal meat on 19:42 - May 9 by exiledclaseboy

I genuinely respect your honesty in saying that your objection is nothing to do with animal welfare but more to do with the fact that it's a muslim practice. And that's not taking the p*ss either.

Muslim, Jewish or Klingon, don't force it on me.

Halal meat on 19:53 - May 9 with 1068 viewsLohengrin

Halal meat on 19:50 - May 9 by dgt73

Muslim, Jewish or Klingon, don't force it on me.

And that's your right. While we still have any left, that is.

Halal meat on 19:53 - May 9 with 1067 viewsDarran

Halal meat on 19:47 - May 9 by exiledclaseboy

Well let's be fair, if you're going to dismiss any stat that doesn't suit your argument there's no sensible debate we can have on the issue.

Anyhoo, I know already that you're firmly in the same camp as dgt on the issue and that is of course your right.

I bet Lohengrim and dgt loves a nice Indian.

Halal meat on 19:54 - May 9 with 1066 viewsdgt73

Halal meat on 19:53 - May 9 by Lohengrin

And that's your right. While we still have any left, that is.

Very true.

Halal meat on 19:56 - May 9 with 1064 viewsLohengrin

Halal meat on 19:47 - May 9 by exiledclaseboy

Morality underpins my argument. I've no need to go bushwacking for Stats to try and underpin a stance that my heart isn't in like you're doing now, Clase.

Halal meat on 19:56 - May 9 with 1061 viewsLohengrin

Halal meat on 19:53 - May 9 by Darran

You know my feelings on Norah Jones.

Halal meat on 19:58 - May 9 with 1058 viewsDarran

Halal meat on 19:56 - May 9 by Lohengrin

You know my feelings on Norah Jones.

I saw you leaving CKs with a vesta curry t'other day.

Halal meat on 19:58 - May 9 with 1057 viewsdgt73

Halal meat on 19:53 - May 9 by Darran

I treat every person I meet with dignity and respect regardless of colour or religion, but I wish people who have a different religion or culture to me, would show me the same respect.

Halal meat on 19:58 - May 9 with 1055 viewsLohengrin

Halal meat on 19:58 - May 9 by Darran

I saw you leaving CKs with a vesta curry t'other day.

I seriously doubt that!

Halal meat on 19:59 - May 9 with 1054 viewsDarran

Halal meat on 19:58 - May 9 by dgt73

I treat every person I meet with dignity and respect regardless of colour or religion, but I wish people who have a different religion or culture to me, would show me the same respect.

So you do like a nice Indian then,thought so.

Halal meat on 20:00 - May 9 with 1051 viewsdgt73

Halal meat on 19:59 - May 9 by Darran

So you do like a nice Indian then,thought so.

no.

Halal meat on 20:01 - May 9 with 1050 viewsexiledclaseboy

Halal meat on 19:56 - May 9 by Lohengrin

Morality underpins my argument. I've no need to go bushwacking for Stats to try and underpin a stance that my heart isn't in like you're doing now, Clase.

Bushwhacking.

I'm just trying to point out the moral paucity of those who claim that their objection to halal is purely about animal welfare when it's clearly not. As I've said, I'd have far more respect for the view if they were honest about the motivation for their objection, like you and dgt have been.

I would not knowingly buy or eat any meat that hadn't been stunned before being killed. That's a personal choice which everyone is entitled to make so there's perhaps a case for better labelling. But I'd have no objection to eating halal meat if it had been stunned prior to slaughter. The prayer bit really doesn't bother me in the slightest. It's akin to saying a pointless prayer to God/Allah before eating as some people apparently do. An empty gesture.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Halal meat on 20:01 - May 9 with 1050 viewsLohengrin

Halal meat on 19:58 - May 9 by dgt73

You don't count. Your culture is there to be derided, your views are only allowed to exist so they can be discounted. You must have noticed what's been happening this last twenty years.

Halal meat on 20:02 - May 9 with 1046 viewsDarran

Halal meat on 20:00 - May 9 by dgt73

no.

I don't believe you.

Halal meat on 20:05 - May 9 with 1042 viewsdgt73

Halal meat on 20:01 - May 9 by Lohengrin

You don't count. Your culture is there to be derided, your views are only allowed to exist so they can be discounted. You must have noticed what's been happening this last twenty years.

I know exactly what's been going on, but fortunately I'm not one of the sheep.

Halal meat on 20:10 - May 9 with 1030 viewsdgt73

Halal meat on 20:02 - May 9 by Darran

I don't believe you.

Believe what you want. And correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the use of spices on food first done by british soldiers hundreds of years ago, to disguise the bad smell of rotting meat.

Halal meat on 20:11 - May 9 with 1026 viewsLohengrin

Halal meat on 20:01 - May 9 by exiledclaseboy

Bushwhacking.

I'm just trying to point out the moral paucity of those who claim that their objection to halal is purely about animal welfare when it's clearly not. As I've said, I'd have far more respect for the view if they were honest about the motivation for their objection, like you and dgt have been.

I would not knowingly buy or eat any meat that hadn't been stunned before being killed. That's a personal choice which everyone is entitled to make so there's perhaps a case for better labelling. But I'd have no objection to eating halal meat if it had been stunned prior to slaughter. The prayer bit really doesn't bother me in the slightest. It's akin to saying a pointless prayer to God/Allah before eating as some people apparently do. An empty gesture.

This post has been edited by an administrator

A moral paucity? To whom are you referring there, the posters on here or the wider objecting public? That argument clearly wouldn't apply to a devout Hindu or a sincere advocate for animal rights in particular.

In point of fact anybody with a sense of decency, really. You couldn't stomach that footage on Sunday. I don't need to spell out the argument in minute detail. You get it.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024