Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Out 21:57 - Jun 19 with 6827 viewscyril

Tbh I'm a bit sad England are out, bit bored of all this hate England poop, we need to concentrate on our own shit

The devil is in the detail

Out on 12:25 - Jun 20 with 1097 viewsGeneration_Terrorist

Out on 00:14 - Jun 20 by jackonicko

See, I find this a bit odd.

I'm English but a swans fan. When both England and Wales are playing, I often find myself watching the Wales game on tv because swans players are on the pitch and I want them to do well.

Like I want the Dutch to do well with Vorm and JdG. And CIV with Bony. And S Korea with Ki.

But you still wouldn't want England to do well if Routs, JJS or Leon pulled on the white shirt of England? If they played well, but England lost, they would have still lost.

Each to their own I guess, but I don't get that.

I don't get this personally. I am a Swans fan first and foremost, so why on earth would I want our players to perform well on a national stage? It only puts them in the shop window and heightens the risk that they will be pinched from us.

I think a few too many on here are getting drunk on the heady 'prestige' of hearing our club's name read out by commentators. I'd rather keep our stars under the radar (and thus keep the at the club for a little while longer) thanks.

I realise that this will probably be an unpopular view, but I'm afraid the Swans are where my heart lies, not Holland or South Korea.
[Post edited 20 Jun 2014 12:26]

"There's no cure for being a c**t."

Out on 12:32 - Jun 20 with 1089 viewsC_jack

Out on 12:25 - Jun 20 by Generation_Terrorist

I don't get this personally. I am a Swans fan first and foremost, so why on earth would I want our players to perform well on a national stage? It only puts them in the shop window and heightens the risk that they will be pinched from us.

I think a few too many on here are getting drunk on the heady 'prestige' of hearing our club's name read out by commentators. I'd rather keep our stars under the radar (and thus keep the at the club for a little while longer) thanks.

I realise that this will probably be an unpopular view, but I'm afraid the Swans are where my heart lies, not Holland or South Korea.

I'd rather our players play well at the WC and come back full of confidence, as opposed to having a poor run of games and coming back in poor form.

We will always benefit from our players playing well.

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

Out on 12:40 - Jun 20 with 1080 viewsjackonicko

Out on 12:25 - Jun 20 by Generation_Terrorist

Fair enough. I'm firmly club before country too, which is why I'm more interested in the Swans players when they play, than the performance of my national team (England).

Sure, it puts them in the shop window. But these are our players, playing for our club. I want them to do well for themselves, to continue to develop themselves and their game playing for a successful national side, and then come back and be a better Swans player for it. They only do well if the team they are playing for do well. A good performance in a losing side still makes them a losing player and gives them fewer opportunities to progress in any competition.

We are always going to lose players. We did for many years before they ever played in a World Cup. Do I get heady hearing Swans players names when watching the World Cup. Too f*cking right I do. Thats because my Swans are so much better than they ever used to be. Come on Wilfried Bony, score for Cote d'Ivoire(y).
Out on 12:41 - Jun 20 with 1076 viewsymaohyd

Out on 00:56 - Jun 20 by RuDeMan1970

Cheers Starsky We appear to be in the minority (along with the likes of Cockett Jack) which I find sad. All I can say is thank feck some of these guys weren't around 100 years ago / 70 years ago when the citizens of OUR COUNTRY (GB) needed to stand-up and be counted.
I'll now wait for the brickbats (the British empire was also a disgrace, blah, blah) to arrive....

I'm not going to get into this debate, as I have made many points in the past and unfortunately a world cup brings up the tedious opinions again. I have a bench mark in life of those 'I'd have a pint with and those I wouldn't'. Those I would are many and varied. Having gone to Uni, many years ago, I have many English friends who I have great fondness and would certainly 'Have a pint with' and have done so many times.

I consider myself to be Welsh though first and foremost though, I don't have a great deal of time for being 'British'. I feel different to the English and I am hugely proud of my Welsh culture. That doesn't mean to say that I hate/ dislike the English.

My big bug bears though and I do apologise for being a bit over the top at times on this forum are English people who feel the need to big up their Englishness in Wales and Welsh people who love the whole 'We're all British' ideology. For the latter I'm not saying you are wrong to feel like that, I just haven't got an ounce of that feeling inside me. And for those like that I definitely 'Wouldn't have a pint with them'.

Blog: World Cup Performance = Transfer Speculation?

Out on 12:42 - Jun 20 with 1073 viewsGeneration_Terrorist

Out on 12:32 - Jun 20 by C_jack

I'd rather our players play well at the WC and come back full of confidence, as opposed to having a poor run of games and coming back in poor form.

We will always benefit from our players playing well.

I do agree with this also, and realise my view is probably a bit cynical.
As has been mentioned above, I suppose we always will lose players anyway - and at least if we lose them because of a world cup, we'll get a heftier wedge than we'd normally get otherwise.

"There's no cure for being a c**t."

Out on 12:57 - Jun 20 with 1057 viewsjacksfullaces

the english (delete and include any rival team) is arrogant cliche is just that - makes us feel better about ourselves - when in fact all they are doing is hoping/expecting their team to do well - arguably we make exactly the same case for every Swans match against a top 6 team - if you want your team to be successful, it usually sounds arrogant to those who are direct rivals.

As an analogy in another sport - I often see direct comparisons between English football fans and welsh rugby fans. Every time they are up against a big team/match they make a case for victory, ignoring the fact that history says they haven't beaten the All Blacks or South African in aeons. Is this arrogance? To someone who supports the opposition it probably is. All a matter of perspective see.

FWIW mildly disappointed that England are out as I like the World Cup, I like the hype, and may be 1-2 less reasons for get together with friends/family who support our rivals on t'other side of the bridge.
Out on 13:16 - Jun 20 with 1045 viewsBloodyhills

Agree, it's much better to define yourself by what you stand for rather than for what you are against.

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

Out on 13:16 - Jun 20 with 1045 viewsJackoBoostardo

Out on 12:57 - Jun 20 by jacksfullaces

the english (delete and include any rival team) is arrogant cliche is just that - makes us feel better about ourselves - when in fact all they are doing is hoping/expecting their team to do well - arguably we make exactly the same case for every Swans match against a top 6 team - if you want your team to be successful, it usually sounds arrogant to those who are direct rivals.

As an analogy in another sport - I often see direct comparisons between English football fans and welsh rugby fans. Every time they are up against a big team/match they make a case for victory, ignoring the fact that history says they haven't beaten the All Blacks or South African in aeons. Is this arrogance? To someone who supports the opposition it probably is. All a matter of perspective see.

FWIW mildly disappointed that England are out as I like the World Cup, I like the hype, and may be 1-2 less reasons for get together with friends/family who support our rivals on t'other side of the bridge.

Er, what?!

Is it a cliche that over the past four months prior to the World Cup, the whole of the UK has been forced to sit through and listen to non-stop bilge from English media, who must assume that we're happy for them too?! It appears it is only the non-English who see them as a highly overrated International side who, when the pressure is on and they go against a fairly good team, they fall to pieces.

And realistically, if Wales (or for that matter Scotland or Ireland) were to also take part - how much airtime would we receive compared to the 'almighty' English?

Oh, and just for the record:-

arrogant (ˈærəɡənt)

– adj
having or showing an exaggerated opinion of one's own importance, merit, ability, etc; conceited; overbearingly proud: an arrogant teacher ; an arrogant assumption
[Post edited 20 Jun 2014 13:18]

And we're Swaaaaanseeeea Ciiiityyyy! Swaaaansseeeaaa Ciiiityyy F C! We're not necessarily the greatest team in football, the world has ever seen (but we're possibly the most honest and resilient). - On behalf of The Campaign For Realistic Crowd Chanting
Poll: How could Van Persie survive such an horrific attack were it to happen again?

Login to get fewer ads

Out on 13:25 - Jun 20 with 1036 viewsperchrockjack

Firstly,just looked out of my window and see English people going about their business, no mass hangings from English oak trees, no wailig and gnashing of teeth.
Its called reality and its far removed from the dogbreath comments on here from massive hyocrites who slag off everything English but are completely annexed to them especially in football.
People with this in their hearts should be true to their beliefs and watch/support Llanelli-sorry ..Afan Lido, or even the massive Carmarthen Town.
mY English born son hasn't ever bigged up England ever when we ve been in WALES.He and his

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Out on 13:29 - Jun 20 with 1033 viewsperchrockjack

Contd. My lad and his chums are in Wales most weekends and Ive been with em and guess what..no crowing,no bigging up of England. They don't have to but it seems some Welsh people need to get bitter cynical and twisted and throw in the old language issue to make themselves feel good.
Well, ity aint good enough.

Was in Llandudno this week and 90% of people ariund were English -spending money- and giving a living to Welsh people. Without the English and England WALES has not cannot and will not survive so get your heads out of your arses and realise OWAIN Glyndwr dies many centuries ago.

Finally its not the average TH

Out on 13:32 - Jun 20 with 1031 viewsjackonicko

Out on 13:16 - Jun 20 by JackoBoostardo

Er, what?!

Is it a cliche that over the past four months prior to the World Cup, the whole of the UK has been forced to sit through and listen to non-stop bilge from English media, who must assume that we're happy for them too?! It appears it is only the non-English who see them as a highly overrated International side who, when the pressure is on and they go against a fairly good team, they fall to pieces.

And realistically, if Wales (or for that matter Scotland or Ireland) were to also take part - how much airtime would we receive compared to the 'almighty' English?

arrogant (ˈærəɡənt)

– adj
having or showing an exaggerated opinion of one's own importance, merit, ability, etc; conceited; overbearingly proud: an arrogant teacher ; an arrogant assumption

Perhaps you should switch your media choices. Sitting here in England, I've seen very little over exuberance regarding England's chances. Actually a refreshing pragmatism.

Mind you, I don't buy tabloid newspapers, so maybe that's the difference?
Out on 13:36 - Jun 20 with 1025 viewsperchrockjack

Out on 13:32 - Jun 20 by jackonicko

Perhaps you should switch your media choices. Sitting here in England, I've seen very little over exuberance regarding England's chances. Actually a refreshing pragmatism.

Mind you, I don't buy tabloid newspapers, so maybe that's the difference?

exactly but you put it more eloquently.
Its at time like these I feel rather embarrassed about my kinfolk.

Sometimes you just gotta swallow facts and fact is WALES is shuite at sport in general. I ll be watching WALES tomorrow no doubt fronting up against the Springboks but getting smashed to pieces. The compensation here is that its played in few countries and in this island by middle class hooray henries.

Out on 16:18 - Jun 20 with 984 viewsStarsky

Out on 12:41 - Jun 20 by ymaohyd

I'm not going to get into this debate, as I have made many points in the past and unfortunately a world cup brings up the tedious opinions again. I have a bench mark in life of those 'I'd have a pint with and those I wouldn't'. Those I would are many and varied. Having gone to Uni, many years ago, I have many English friends who I have great fondness and would certainly 'Have a pint with' and have done so many times.

I consider myself to be Welsh though first and foremost though, I don't have a great deal of time for being 'British'. I feel different to the English and I am hugely proud of my Welsh culture. That doesn't mean to say that I hate/ dislike the English.

My big bug bears though and I do apologise for being a bit over the top at times on this forum are English people who feel the need to big up their Englishness in Wales and Welsh people who love the whole 'We're all British' ideology. For the latter I'm not saying you are wrong to feel like that, I just haven't got an ounce of that feeling inside me. And for those like that I definitely 'Wouldn't have a pint with them'.

I think that this post is probably the best post I've read this year.
As one who has been following England in this World Cup and sighing at the ridiculous, over the top lets all laugh at England threads. You've just touched on both sides of the argument quite eloquently. Much respect.

It's just the internet, init.

Out on 18:55 - Jun 20 with 956 viewsLeonisGod

Point of order. England weren't out when this thread was started. But they are now! Costa Rica causing a bit of a ripple. Well played to them again.
Out on 18:56 - Jun 20 with 948 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Out on 18:55 - Jun 20 by LeonisGod

Point of order. England weren't out when this thread was started. But they are now! Costa Rica causing a bit of a ripple. Well played to them again.

Costa Rica deserve to go through and England deserve to be out. Hopefully Italy take second spot in the group.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Out on 18:58 - Jun 20 with 944 viewsLord_Bony

Hahahhaha

Suarez will have a nice reception next season...

Hee hee

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Out on 19:14 - Jun 20 with 924 viewsjacksfullaces

Out on 13:16 - Jun 20 by JackoBoostardo

Er, what?!

arrogant (ˈærəɡənt)

– adj

No. I revise my view.

Not only people who don't like their rivals to hope for success, but people with such massive chips on their shoulders they see everything that a rival says in a negative light.

So every English person is arrogant, or simply a selection of the sensationalist media?

The multimedia age gives you choice, and democracy of course allows you to vent your irritations.

I would simply urge a balanced, rationalist view of what you've seen over the last few weeks. Yes, the BBC give a lot of airtime to England, yes it can be a little bit irritating to the welsh - I note BBC Wales Sport has been leading on the rugby all week though so that must at least keep you happy. TBH I'd rather have heard about the World Cup, not necessarily England, than listen to a radio station pander to the egg chasing stereotype of its listeners - arrogant BBC Wales

And for the record I'm Welsh, probably have nationalist leanings (Culturally at least) and can still be balanced and avoid those media streams that annoy me. Choice is a wonderful thing.
Out on 19:26 - Jun 20 with 912 viewsVetchitBack

Out on 12:41 - Jun 20 by ymaohyd

Right that's it I can't cope anymore. That's tipped me over the edge. Some anonymous person on an Internet forum wouldn't ever have a pint with me!

The orthodox are always orthodox, regardless of the orthodoxy.

Out on 20:15 - Jun 20 with 873 viewsSwansNZ

Out on 13:29 - Jun 20 by perchrockjack

Contd. My lad and his chums are in Wales most weekends and Ive been with em and guess what..no crowing,no bigging up of England. They don't have to but it seems some Welsh people need to get bitter cynical and twisted and throw in the old language issue to make themselves feel good.
Well, ity aint good enough.

Was in Llandudno this week and 90% of people ariund were English -spending money- and giving a living to Welsh people. Without the English and England WALES has not cannot and will not survive so get your heads out of your arses and realise OWAIN Glyndwr dies many centuries ago.

Finally its not the average TH

I think you're mixing up life and sport.

I don't hate england, but want them to lose at football - simple really.

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

Out on 20:17 - Jun 20 with 868 viewsperchrockjack

cultural nationalist must mean your medium of communcation is Welsh so why on here talking in a foreign tongue;the oppressor s one at that.
If you think it through its not good.

Culture is in the head and a luxury really but it doesn't feed your family or put a roof over their heads

Out on 20:19 - Jun 20 with 862 viewsymaohyd

Out on 19:26 - Jun 20 by VetchitBack

Right that's it I can't cope anymore. That's tipped me over the edge. Some anonymous person on an Internet forum wouldn't ever have a pint with me!

Don't worry, you're not missing much I'm a boring bast*rd!

Blog: World Cup Performance = Transfer Speculation?

Out on 20:22 - Jun 20 with 847 viewsperchrockjack

Some Dafydd Iwan songs are good though. Im still here too

Out on 20:28 - Jun 20 with 838 viewsJackoBoostardo

Out on 19:14 - Jun 20 by jacksfullaces

No. I revise my view.

Not only people who don't like their rivals to hope for success, but people with such massive chips on their shoulders they see everything that a rival says in a negative light.

So every English person is arrogant, or simply a selection of the sensationalist media?

The multimedia age gives you choice, and democracy of course allows you to vent your irritations.

I would simply urge a balanced, rationalist view of what you've seen over the last few weeks. Yes, the BBC give a lot of airtime to England, yes it can be a little bit irritating to the welsh - I note BBC Wales Sport has been leading on the rugby all week though so that must at least keep you happy. TBH I'd rather have heard about the World Cup, not necessarily England, than listen to a radio station pander to the egg chasing stereotype of its listeners - arrogant BBC Wales

And for the record I'm Welsh, probably have nationalist leanings (Culturally at least) and can still be balanced and avoid those media streams that annoy me. Choice is a wonderful thing.

Keep reading what you want to read - it's clearly something that's not sinking in.

Let's put it this way - as a question.

Do you or do you not dislike Cardiff?

If you answer yes, then you're a hypocrite. The reasons I dislike England is because they are arrogant competition to our own national team (who just happen to be shyte). I consider myself Welsh, not English. I am also British - but just for clarification, England is not the whole of the UK. By answering yes - you are acknowledging a dislike for a WELSH side!

If you answer no, then do you have any competitive feelings against any team at all?

And your suggestion I have a chip on my shoulder against the English is ridiculous and quite an assumption considering you don't know me. I work with many English people and like them. The thing I dislike is the media circus that comes with the England football team.

Why are the English apologists here taking things so personally?!
[Post edited 20 Jun 2014 21:00]

And we're Swaaaaanseeeea Ciiiityyyy! Swaaaansseeeaaa Ciiiityyy F C! We're not necessarily the greatest team in football, the world has ever seen (but we're possibly the most honest and resilient). - On behalf of The Campaign For Realistic Crowd Chanting
Poll: How could Van Persie survive such an horrific attack were it to happen again?

Out on 21:16 - Jun 20 with 804 viewsNeath_Jack

There's some absolute whoppers in this thread.

I've asked more than 5 times on the various threads of this subject, and not one of you bellwhiffs who keep spouting it can give an answer. Please tell me why having an English manager, english players, playing half of our games in england, mean that we should support team england internationally.

F*ck team england and their pompous, obnoxious supporters and media.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Out on 21:21 - Jun 20 with 801 viewsexiledclaseboy

I think Tory Boy Cockett had sunk a few when he posted last night. Very robust.

Poll: Tory leader

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024